What To Eat When You Don't Want To Eat?

seonai

Opposite from one poster asking about snacks between meals. I have had chest infections a lot in the past 2 years and have dripping at the back of my throat. The Doctor can't cure it. Problem is that I have lost my appetite. I love drinks, fruit shakes, hot Milo, cereal drinks, juice and water. But food - what a struggle. Some days I manage two soft boiled eggs or some fruit.

I don't have money for products so it'll have to be natural ideas!

Thanks

post nasal drip causing chest infections? what infections? bronchitis? etc....

if u cant eat because of neusea because of mucus thats one thing; lack of taste is an other (zinc is supposedly a component in taste problems)

salt water in the nose to clean out the nasal drip; check out the various naturalist/vegan diets for preventing mucous (theyre awful diets i think)...

change doctors because permanent chest infections of whatever sort leave scars on lungs etc.... and there are lots of over the counter things for nasal and chest mucous...

try thyme tea (thyme is an expectorant, nasty tasting but it does work)....

but change doctors and get a recheck.....

I had that post nasal drip giving me throat infections. The doc here said I was allergic to something in the air. She thought I would have this problem forever. That was a couple of years ago. I haven't had it since. The air in Thailand is the worst i know of. It's full of pollution from cars, dust, and burnt trash. Seems like you are accepting you fate. Eat as well as you can and avoid the heavy traffic areas. A day in BKK coats the interior of my nose with black crud. In 10-20 years when the city people start dropping dead daily on the street people will realise that the money wasn't worth it.

Opposite from one poster asking about snacks between meals. I have had chest infections a lot in the past 2 years and have dripping at the back of my throat. The Doctor can't cure it. Problem is that I have lost my appetite. I love drinks, fruit shakes, hot Milo, cereal drinks, juice and water. But food - what a struggle. Some days I manage two soft boiled eggs or some fruit. I don't have money for products so it'll have to be natural ideas!

Thanks

Seonai: you have been complaining about this problem before....didn't you?

here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66948&hl=

I'm sorry to say but it seems to me, you're killing yourself slowly but surely. NOBODY can survive on 2 soft boiled eggs and some fruit. :o

I really don't understand that you and your husband don't take action NOW, before it's too late.

I apologize for being so harsh, but sometimes somebody has to say it....

Look for help in a better hospital in BKK !!! (I'm sure someone can help you, moneywise).

LaoPo

seonai, u wrote in an other post that u were a 'former' anorexic; w/ my experience w/teenage anorexics (i was a boarding school house mother for two years), once anorexic always anorexic its just remission or changes in behavior, like alcoholism; so maybe you're chest infections, etc and your not wanting to eat are part of the anorexia whether it is physiological or psychological or a combination of them.....anorexia has a way of re occurring when times of stress, etc...

in other words, the not eating is the anorexia , for whatever reasons... and the chest infections etc are due to lack of vitamins, etc etc ???? possibly, or :

for post nasal drips etc, there are lots of over the counter things to try including inhalor types with different medications to start with . some are non steroidal and some are steroidal but they all do really well for these things, my youngest daughter suffers terribly from mucous (even vomiting from the mucous) and chest things and asthma and it does depress appetite but never to that extant (cant remember if u tried them or not?) and these meds do help her and my son w/similar problem

for chest infections, how bout some xrays (can they cost a lot in thailand?) to see if its not something worse then just infections?

just some ideas , sort of like starting with basics , or 'step by step' solutions to small problems which may help the bigger one....

bina

Seonai, you need to start making juice or smoothies to get the nutrients you need daily. Make broths which are easy to drink, with chicken & vegtables like carrots & potatoe boiled in with it, then blend the veg & drink a couple of cups of that a day. 2 eggs & a bit of fruit isn't going to sustain you & give you the vitimins you need.

I agree with the other posters who advise changing doctors though, yours doesn't sound to helpful. A trip to the mainland may be in order, whatever it costs, your no use to anyone sick or worse :o

Do they sell build-up type drinks like Complan in BKK, possibly in Boots?

They are the milkshakes and hotchocolate drinks that contain a good supply of vitamins and are usually around 250 cals per drink?

Do you have friends in BKK who could send some down to you if you can't get there?

Take Care :o

Edited by Jasmine

They probably do but they are usually very expensive - and the OP clearly said cost was an issue.

My wife makes a kinda rice soup/porridge with meat and veggies whenever anyone is ill, very easily eatable, nutrient ... and inexpensive.

Edited by madsere