Hotel in Khao Lak

ErneBkk

Hello everybody

I am planning to spend five nights in Khao Lak with my wife in May. We would be very grateful for some hotel recommendation as we haven't been in Khao Lak yet.

That's what we are looking for:

- Rahter high standard, at least 4*-hotel

- Good breakfast

- very important: spacious beach-area (not packed like sardines in a can)

So far Le Méridien, The Sands and Beyond Resort comes into consideration. And maybe the Sarojin, which is a bit exensive however.

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot for your help.

Sleepy Forum this one here ErneBKK, I have often asked why Khao Lak isn't part of the Phuket Forum as it's closer to Phuket than Krabi. But then out come the Phuket haters. Point being it might be worthwhile to ask a moderator to move this over to the Phuket Forum as it's not allowed to cross post the same.

Now, that being said, you've already rattled off the highest priced places, in order The Sarojin, The Sands (by the KataThani people) and Beyond (Kata Group). You'll be pretty isolated at these locations. Are you and the wifey at all interested in taking a wander about in the evenings or are you good with the isolation?

Centara Seaview, while maybe only a 3 star at least you are walking distance to the main drag in case you want to go for a walk up on the main drag for people watching and a glass of wine at The Fizz Bistro. Big beach big coastline.

Haadson Resort if you really want large empty beach.

Thats all I can think of now, just on my second cup of 'jo. Cheers, GOM

I stayed in a very nice place last year, the Sentido Graceland Resort. It is in a quiet area north of Khao Lak but was on soft opening rates at he time as it was brand new. The rates won't be anything like I paid now but it's worth a look if you don't mind being a long way from town.

Plenty of upmarket resorts in Khao Lak located at quiet a bit away from town beaches. You could also check out Mai Khao Lak, Orchid Resort, and the Meridien, just to name a few. Merlin Hotel might be a very good choice, it is in a quiet part of Khao Lak before the hill coming from Phuket, nice quiet beach, and a few but not too many restaurants and bars near by. Since the king of Sweden has stayed there, I figure it should be up to your standards.

Thank's a lot for all your answers, that was very helpful!

One other thing I am bit scared of: how is the weather normally at the beginning of May? I know that it's actually the beginning of rainy-season, though not sure what this means for Khao Lak exactly. Is it possible that the weather could be really bad for quite some days? If it's just raining for one or two hours per day, i don't really mind. Always just rain migjt be a bit depressing though...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The similans is closed by may so it is very dead up in Kao Lak. I would be interested on your experiences there. It seems like you have a taste for quality hotels.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I was there last year afther the Similans closed, was brilliant nobody around :)

• Like 1

The similans is closed by may so it is very dead up in Kao Lak. I would be interested on your experiences there. It seems like you have a taste for quality hotels.

I will let you know about my experiences.

However, I am still a bit doubtful because of the beginning of rainy season in May. No problem if it's just raining for two or three hours everyday. But I would actually spend most of my days at the beach sunbathing...

I live in Khao Lak. Usually it is not so bad in May, sunny in the morning and possibly a shower somewhat later in the afternoon. Pleasant time to go there, the big masses of tourists have left.

Good to hear, thanks a lot! No big exceptions from this rule? Would really like to visit Khao Lak.

What about restaurants and shops, are they all open during rain season?

I live in Khao Lak. Usually it is not so bad in May, sunny in the morning and possibly a shower somewhat later in the afternoon. Pleasant time to go there, the big masses of tourists have left.

Good to hear, thanks a lot! No big exceptions from this rule? Would really like to visit Khao Lak.

Quite limited shops and restuarants along the Khao Lak strip at the best of times. Many close in the rainy season April - November.

Quite limited shops and restuarants along the Khao Lak strip at the best of times. Many close in the rainy season April - November.

agreed,last count ,there was only 166 restaurants in khao lak.how limited is that

• Like 1

agreed,last count ,there was only 166 restaurants in khao lak.how limited is that

I take your word for the 166 restaurants. All I can say is that I have not found that much choice when visiting Khao Lak even in the so called high season, much less in the low season. And believe me I always search about each tme we visit. I am talking about local restuarants/eateries and not hotel places.

I take your word for the 166 restaurants. All I can say is that I have not found that much choice when visiting Khao Lak even in the so called high season, much less in the low season. And believe me I always search about each tme we visit. I am talking about local restuarants/eateries and not hotel places.

It must have been a long time since you were last there

It must have been a long time since you were last there

Spent a couple of nights in Khao Lak a few months ago. Was late in the low season and many eateries were closed. Must admit we found a nice new place just about opposite McDs that was pleasant and professional. Impressive menu, food was delicious.

Spent a couple of nights in Khao Lak a few months ago. Was late in the low season and many eateries were closed. Must admit we found a nice new place just about opposite McDs that was pleasant and professional. Impressive menu, food was delicious.

Also depends on in what part of Khao Lak you are. Khao Lak is spread out, there is no real city center, it is a number of separate villages with a lot of space in between. LivinginKata was looking for dining opportunities at Nang Tong Beach where McDs is, at Bang Niang Beach 3 km down the road away from Phuket there are more restaurants and bars which are also open in the low season.

Edited by keestha

One of the best restaurants I've ever eaten in is in khao lak in a soi towards the back of ayara villas,can't remember the name of it but they have an open kitchen in the middle of the restaurant so you can see your food getting cooked.