Phan Fah crackdown: PDRC leader Somkiat mysteriously rescued

webfact

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea how the Thai law determines such a thing but in Europe you are only 'in custody' when you have been booked at the police station.

Perhaps a more apt charge would be making the police lose face.

Australia uses the Westminster system and Thailands legal system is also based on it. Once you have been arrested you are in custody. This guy had a warrant on him, the warrant was executed and he was taken into custody.

I thought the "Westminster system" was a political system not a legal system.

You are correct of course.

Worrying that an Aussie policeman got it wrong!

Thailand's legal system isn't based on it either. Europe doesn't have one legal system either, and rules vary considerably. All of which is immaterial as this is Thailand and Thai Law apply.

• Like 1

I have no idea how the Thai law determines such a thing but in Europe you are only 'in custody' when you have been booked at the police station.

Australia uses the Westminster system and Thailands legal system is also based on it. Once you have been arrested you are in custody. This guy had a warrant on him, the warrant was executed and he was taken into custody.

Now be fair, chooka is Australian and to Aussies, anyone in a suit is either a politician or a lawyer. biggrin.png

Or the defendant......

( Joke chooka mate!) biggrin.png

• Like 1

we save him.

the thai people.

Now he has more charges like escaping from custody.

Not necessarily. He said he didn't know who they were but since they were able to remove him from a police vehicle he could claim that initially he assumed they must be police and I doubt he would have been able to resist anyway.

Perhaps, polices are fed up with the government. More people feel that it is time for change.

Thai people are not stupid.

First: before he was rescued one policemen free his hands.

Second there are reports that only one group of policemen run amok and shot at people while the others were friendly.

Seems the control over the police is slowly slipping away as well.

• Like 1

" the move to disperse protesters was illegal because the Civil Court had earlier issued an injunction against the government's imposition of the emergency decree."

There must be a soap opera script writer amongst the Fates choreographing everyone.

And in the final scene,newly appointed caretaker Prime Minister Chalerm (Lermbo) rides off into the sunset with his pockets bulging with money.

...in his fleet of pink Bentleys and Rolls Royces.

Perhaps, polices are fed up with the government. More people feel that it is time for change.

Some people feel that it is time to change. But obviously not enough to allow democratic elections for the majority to make their decision.

As you say, Thai people are not stupid, but some less so than others.........................wink.png

You have to ask how the police can arrest such a high profile wanted man, chain and handcuff him and then somehow let him escape.

The Thai police are such a joke.

You also have to ask how some posters can make up details to try to make their posts approach being interesting or relevant.

He was not chained or handcuffed and at the time of his escape his secured hands had been untied.

Second there are reports that only one group of policemen run amok and shot at people while the others were friendly.

Indeed, it does seem so. It's becoming more apparent that it was other police who set him free.

We'll need to update the vegetable/fruit descriptions of various entities, eg. "tomato" and "watermelon" to describe BIB police who are empathetic/sympathetic to the anti-government movement.

Edited by Davidhere

Anyway....where's the number 1 guy, Chalerm?

Must be about time for another big show press conference, surrounded by his wired up goons of course, to explain what happened here.

Mmmmm...very obvious is his absence.....maybe Black Label time last night....?

Indeed, it does seem so. It's becoming more apparent that it was other police who set him free.

We'll need to update the vegetable/fruit descriptions of various entities, eg. "tomato" and "watermelon" to describe BIB police who are empathetic/sympathetic to the anti-government movement.

Just where are these reports about rogue police running amok shooting people and policemen setting Somkiat free?

Facebook, Cartalucci or Michael Yon?

Before you start shooting off your mouth and say I am full of SHIT, prove to me wrong in that Australian law is based on the Westminster system. It is actually taught as week one law in the police academy but I guess they have it all wrong.

The Westminster system defines how parliament is set up and how the laws are made. It doesn't define how the legal system works. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westminster_system

• Like 1

You are correct of course.

Worrying that an Aussie policeman got it wrong!

Thailand's legal system isn't based on it either. Europe doesn't have one legal system either, and rules vary considerably. All of which is immaterial as this is Thailand and Thai Law apply.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Thailand

http://www.thailaws.com/index_legal_system.htm

I hope this provides some clarity.

As I keep repeating, Suthep has the real power backing him, the Shins are now in in the realms of taking desperate measures. For the sake of the country the Military need to issue an ultimatum. Shins book your flights out of the country, PTP find a legitamate leader and lets re run the election.

I think it is about time We consider some of Sutheps demands even though they might be undemocratic. He can't be more inept or corrupt than the present government. The country needs an impartial appointed PM and cabinet of capable people ( not appointed by Suthep) However I personally would lke to see Suthep running the country. He would soon sort all the problems out. He has the support of all the southern part of thailand, most of Bangkok and probably the army. The country needs a "strong man* like him to sort out the mess.

• Like 1

we save him.

the thai people.

Now he has more charges like escaping from custody.

And then he was kidnapped out of the van and taken to.....no escape.

Just where are these reports about rogue police running amok shooting people and policemen setting Somkiat free?

Nothing about running amok shooting people, but allowing him to get away, yes. In Thai media. The BP also phrases it that way for the non-Thai literate, such as yourself apparently.

As I keep repeating, Suthep has the real power backing him, the Shins are now in in the realms of taking desperate measures. For the sake of the country the Military need to issue an ultimatum. Shins book your flights out of the country, PTP find a legitamate leader and lets re run the election.

Suthep has some big people looking after the shop , I wouldn't quiet say backing directly.

I think this is right. How did such a well trained unit know where he was and able to retrieve him?

There is a force much mightier than the face on stage.

I think it is about time We consider some of Sutheps demands even though they might be undemocratic. He can't be more inept or corrupt than the present government. The country needs an impartial appointed PM and cabinet of capable people ( not appointed by Suthep) However I personally would lke to see Suthep running the country. He would soon sort all the problems out. He has the support of all the southern part of thailand, most of Bangkok and probably the army. The country needs a "strong man* like him to sort out the mess.

So the rest of the country can just go to hell then? PTP were absolutely there for the taking in the last elections and the dems could of won if they had pledged to reform themselves (cutting ties to Suthep and Mark) gone up country and swayed voters using the failed rice pledge scheme and actually putting forward ideas to benefit Thailand as a whole. Not just their strong holds in BKK and the less populated south....

But nope, they'd rather run a circus. And you're a fool to think that Suthep would be any kind of savior given his sordid past...

• Like 2

You have to ask how the police can arrest such a high profile wanted man, chain and handcuff him and then somehow let him escape.

where did you read all this

at no time did I see he was arrested in chains

he was detained in a police van

I think a trainie lawyer could have that one thrown out of court

Ah sorry then - the police somehow tied his hands behind his back with something they had handy for the job because they don't have handcuffs those nice Thai police. Then they left him in a van and let him escape. Although the likliehood is of course the police do have handcuffs - I even see security guards with those - and most handcuffs are connected with chains.

However I have been learning from Thaksin's January Joiners and just exaggerating things a bit. I am not yet skilled enough to post blatant BS no matter how obvious.

Whatever - the police arrested him and then let him escape. However you play it they are incompetent - perhaps you disagree.

You also have to ask how some posters can make up details to try to make their posts approach being interesting or relevant.

He was not chained or handcuffed and at the time of his escape his secured hands had been untied.

Right - so are you saying the police are not a joke then? Surely the point is why they untied him or is that common procedure. How do police usually tie your hands behind your back in Thailand in the middle of a demonstration

. Are they running around with pieces of rope or something?

So the rest of the country can just go to hell then? PTP were absolutely there for the taking in the last elections and the dems could of won if they had pledged to reform themselves (cutting ties to Suthep and Mark) gone up country and swayed voters using the failed rice pledge scheme and actually putting forward ideas to benefit Thailand as a whole. Not just their strong holds in BKK and the less populated south....

But nope, they'd rather run a circus. And you're a fool to think that Suthep would be any kind of savior given his sordid past...

In theory yes,

in actuality The Dems can NOT go up country because the likes of Rak Chaing Mai and Rak Udon

go to their rallies and beat them senseless and destroy the rally sites before they can even speak.

Even yesterday we saw the reds violently destroy a rally site to talk up north.

http://static.thaivisa.com/forum/uploads/monthly_02_2014/post-201413-0-97187600-1392633371.jpg

http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNU1qWXhNRFkzTUE9PQ==

This goes to the crux of why they haven't won in 10 years. The Thaksin political machine,under various sub group names,

has repeatedly used over the top violence to prevent anything but their Party Line from being heard up north.

Only now as they are being shown to all as the incompetent band of theives scavengers they are, is word finally getting

to those up north that have blindly supported them, and now see they are getting screwed for it.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

suthep is doing the same thing as Thaksin. Not go to court. There is now difference. NONE.

There are two differences. Suthep isn't convicted and Suthep didn't flee the country.

But pending investigation and charges have been made. You can spin it all you want and frankly you have been doing that a lot lately. This isn't the first time he has tried to avoid the court now is it? Despite my recent dislike for Abhisit, I have to give him credit that he went and met the charges made against him.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by maxme

suthep is doing the same thing as Thaksin. Not go to court. There is now difference. NONE.

There are two differences. Suthep isn't convicted and Suthep didn't flee the country.

But pending investigation and charges have been made. You can spin it all you want and frankly you have been doing that a lot lately. This isn't the first time he has tried to avoid court now is it? Despite my recent dislike for Abhisit, I have to give him credit that he went and met the charges made against him.

Charges have been made, and investigations are continuing. He hasn't yet been convicted and the case is a long way from getting to that stage (and I doubt that he will be with these charges). No spin necessary.

Suthep is avoiding court for his murder charges. Thaksin is not only avoiding court for his various corruption charges, but he is also avoiding jail for the charge for which he was convicted.

But pending investigation and charges have been made. You can spin it all you want and frankly you have been doing that a lot lately. This isn't the first time he has tried to avoid court now is it? Despite my recent dislike for Abhisit, I have to give him credit that he went and met the charges made against him.

Charges have been made, and investigations are continuing. He hasn't yet been convicted and the case is a long way from getting to that stage (and I doubt that he will be with these charges). No spin necessary.

Suthep is avoiding court for his murder charges. Thaksin is not only avoiding court for his various corruption charges, but he is also avoiding jail for the charge for which he was convicted.

You do realize that you're contradicting yourself. Like it or not, you're not enforcing the rule of law or supporting democracy if you don't apply the same rules for everybody. It will never be if you let one slip just because you happen to like that particular one better than the other. This kind of thinking is one of the biggest reasons for why Thailand is in this mess.

Sure these things happen in the west as well, but Thai politics and social classes are so extremely polarized, the gap so deep that you need a DSV just to find the bottom of that abyss.

Once people here starts to fill that gap, most of the elites and that includes Thaksin as well, will get what they deserve IF they have been proven guilty by the court of law.

Edited by maxme