Racism or Am I Just too Sensitive.

oiboy

the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

• prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

it's also been found that almost everyone behaves that way. Like if they met 9 ppl from country A that behave one way the 10th person they see from country A well they are going to assume the 10th person behaves just like the 9 ppl they know from country A. Seriously why do they act like this? Isn't it actually just human nature?

Thai people have it bad overseas?

That's new to me. I've never seen racism really directed towards thai people in Canada. If it was that too would be wrong.

The whole idea to judge an individual based on their race is kinda dumb if you ask me. What happend to forming opinions based on interactions with that person? Yes it is common sense, which is a bit lacking with some members of this forum.

Also there is a post about racism towards Chinese on this forum.

I simply shared my experience in Thailand and if you consider that whining so be it. Feel free not to respond. :)

And to clarify about the khun kheak remark. It was the context it was being used. Her exact words was there is a Khun kheak complaining what should I do? In this situation my race had very little to do with the interaction. Take this kinda situation to Canada or any European country and change Indian to Jew and it would be a newsworthy issue.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

And to clarify about the khun kheak remark. It was the context it was being used. Her exact words was there is a Khun kheak complaining what should I do? In this situation my race had very little to do with the interaction. Take this kinda situation to Canada or any European country and change Indian to Jew and it would be a newsworthy issue.

ROFL at using jew in a european country and trying to fit that in context with thailand's situation. But indian is perfectly fine to be used in european countries right? That is why you chose jew instead.

You didn't answer all my questions. How do you think she should have referred to you? How do you think ppl of different ethnic groups and nationalities should be referred to if there were in your situation? Should a japanese be offended he's called a nippon, a chinese a chin, a white person a farang and etc.

On note of your video... I can post a video of pedophiles in Asia. It bears as much relevance to this discussion as your video.

Cheers! tongue.png

India is in asia so you would be posting indian pedo vids right ?

I this she could have referred to me as Mr. Oiboy or a guest. Who said anything about a European country? I said if someone who was clearly Jewish went into a hotel in say Vancouver, and the clerk behind the desk turned around and said to the manager. That Jew is complaining what should I do. It would cause a great deal of controversy. Kapeesh?

If you were too obtuse to read a bit further into my comment re your video. I was referring to the massive amount of Caucasian pedophiles in Cambodian jails. Does that mean all Caucasian people are pedophiles? Of course not, just as your video shows the action of ONE individual and not a whole race.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I this she could have referred to me as Mr. Oiboy or a guest. Who said anything about a European country? I said if someone who was clearly Jewish went into a hotel in say Vancouver, and the clerk behind the desk turned around and said to the manager. That Jew is complaining what should I do. It would cause a great deal of controversy. Kapeesh?

If you were too obtuse to read a bit further into my comment re your video. I was referring to the massive amount of Caucasian pedophiles in Cambodian jails. Does that mean all Caucasian people are pedophiles? Of course not, just as your video shows the action of ONE individual and not a whole race.

Oh lord is your name actually oiboy? How would hotel staff personally know the names of their guests? They have hundreds of them are they supposed to know them by name? Like the front desk tells the manager you know "oiboy" and he goes oh yes i do! as if he knows you personally. Everyone is a guest in the hotel so if she said guest the manager would be like no shit which guest of course she had to give him a physical description of you.

You seem to only mention jews in western countries but not any other ethnic group.

Also you didn't answer my question do you think a japanese should feel offended if someone calls him nippon you know they call japanese ppl that.

You're playing funny talking about white pedos and all etc.

Ultimate Weapon
Here is a question for you.
What did my race have to do with my request?

She was giving him details about you. You're indian so you're a khek. She was identifying you to the manager.

The issue is with you not with her.

Ultimate Weapon

You really don't get it. Using your logic how on earth would he know me given there were upwards of 30 or more Indian guests at the hotel. Simply put. She could have said:

"We have a Top Tier guest who is requesting a late checkout. "Again identifying my race has no real relevance other than a racist one. Just as saying we have a farang guest who is complaining would also be inappropriate. Considering I have stayed in upwards of 600 hotels in my life and I don't really complain or cry racism at every opportunity, I feel knowledgable enough to make that assertion. It's not as if I've not had issues at hotels before. Such as dirty rooms or no hot water. Also by showing loyalty to certain chains you are granted certain benefits. Us frequent travellers often choose hotels based on status with them due to these benefits.

I'm British and I'd like to think if you were in the queue before me and I was served first then I would have said something about it. The only pecking order in a queue should be first come first served. Brits are generally good at queueing and I hate it when I queue and others jump the queue in front of me. The Brit guy who told you that was the pecking order in Thailand should be ashamed of himself.

It sound to me that you get a rough deal for no other reason than your race which is diabolical. It is a sad reflection of the societies we all live in and you should be proud that you can rise above these ignorant fools.

Sent from my KFTT using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Oh lord is your name actually oiboy? How would hotel staff personally know the names of their guests? They have hundreds of them are they supposed to know them by name? Like the front desk tells the manager you know "oiboy" and he goes oh yes i do! as if he knows you personally. Everyone is a guest in the hotel so if she said guest the manager would be like no shit which guest of course she had to give him a physical description of you.

You seem to only mention jews in western countries but not any other ethnic group.

Also you didn't answer my question do you think a japanese should feel offended if someone calls him nippon you know they call japanese ppl that.

Ultimate Weapon

She was giving him details about you. You're indian so you're a khek. She was identifying you to the manager.

Frankly, I don't understand why the OP is even bothering with you. You're trying to be clever but you're failing miserably.

As I said in an earlier post, she could have referred to the OP as "this customer" as in "this customer/guest is complaining. What should I do?"

A white, Japanese, African or Arab man would every right to kick off if he was referred to by his race as opposed to his name or by the universal catchall, "guest"

• Like 1

Oh look someone is spamming this thread with 1 liners. Care to tell me what's your point in doing so?

Thai people have it bad overseas?

That's new to me. I've never seen racism really directed towards thai people in Canada. If it was that too would be wrong.

The whole idea to judge an individual based on their race is kinda dumb if you ask me. What happend to forming opinions based on interactions with that person? Yes it is common sense, which is a bit lacking with some members of this forum.
Also there is a post about racism towards Chinese on this forum.
I simply shared my experience in Thailand and if you consider that whining so be it. Feel free not to respond. smile.png

I didn't read this post cos you were spamming away but you truly must be playing dumb if you don't know that thais have a bad rep overseas as a sex hub and it really puts an ordinary thai person in a bad light. What about the saturday day night life rosetta stone skit about creepy looking white guys who were learning thai just to have sex with hookers. Damn that sounds offensive yet i don't think you have thai ppl whining like you.

Ultimate Weapon
You really don't get it. Using your logic how on earth would he know me given there were upwards of 30 or more Indian guests at the hotel. Simply put. She could have said:
"We have a Top Tier guest who is requesting a late checkout. "Again identifying my race has no real relevance other than a racist one. Just as saying we have a farang guest who is complaining would also be inappropriate. Considering I have stayed in upwards of 600 hotels in my life and I don't really complain or cry racism at every opportunity, I feel knowledgable enough to make that assertion. It's not as if I've not had issues at hotels before. Such as dirty rooms or no hot water. Also by showing loyalty to certain chains you are granted certain benefits. Us frequent travellers often choose hotels based on status with them due to these benefits.

You see here yes she couldn't have said "indian person" in thai if all of the 30 or more indian guests were with you. That's plain common sense BUT you were alone at that time so to identify you she mentioned your physical description. Top tier guest? Perhaps you would like her to bow down to you too. All the rest of the rant that i am quoting about benefits etc have absolutely nothing to do with the discussion but you trying to toot your horn making it sound like you are royalty. The only issue is she referring to you as "indian" in thai. THAT'S ALL. Period. Full stop. The rest is just noise and garbage.

I am asking this a 3rd time how do you refer to a japanese person in thai?

And I said Mr. Oiboy as this is after all a public forum and I choose not to use my real name ultimate weapon, or are you far too obtuse to understand that as well?

ROFL you actually made a single post when i questioned if you your name is really oiboy. laugh.pngcheesy.gif.

At to your last point. The hotel manager actually does know me. Hence after sending him a quick email things were rectified immediately. Less the white lie to save face.

You missed out something. The front desk staff who was dealing with you doesn't know you. whistling.gif She was the one that called you khek not the hotel manager so obviously telling me the hotel manager actually does know you doesn't explain your situation.

Let's see oh yes you sent him and e-mail and he rectified it for you by apologizing so what is your gripe? He apologized didn't he? Yet you still had to start a thread right here complaining about it?

Perhaps he should have gone over and smacked her right in the head for simply referring to you as a khek and maybe stomped on her head for good measure.

In fact i am wont to believe you are the type of customer that makes impossible demands and expects the staff to pander to your every whims. Like they should bow down to you when you approach the front desk. The door men has to kneel down or wai to you and open the door for you everytime. wai2.gifwhistling.gif

Lol. I'm answering him as I have plenty of time on my hands as I nurse my hangover while waiting for my early am flight. Just a word of caution for anyone heading to Greece if locals offer you reiki politely decline. I went to a local bar near Victoria Square last night with a bit of trepidation due to the political climate currently. At first they thought I was Greek. Then this guy invited me from the bar to sit with his group at their table. It was pretty fun. Got to learn some Greek folk songs by the end of the night. Didn't feel the least bit uncomfortable or the hostility I experienced in Thailand. Though now my head feels like its being carpet bombed and it's almost 18 hours later.

Ultimate Weapon

Frankly, I don't understand why the OP is even bothering with you. You're trying to be clever but you're failing miserably.

As I said in an earlier post, she could have referred to the OP as "this customer" as in "this customer/guest is complaining. What should I do?"

A white, Japanese, African or Arab man would every right to kick off if he was referred to by his race as opposed to his name or by the universal catchall, "guest"

I'm not trying to be clever. I'm just telling him he's just too sensitive and being whiny. Somehow him and you cannot accept that have to force your opinions unto me. Btw all because you disagree with my opinion doesn't mean i'm failing at "being clever" . Most ppl usually try to put in something ad hominem.

Yes sure no sh!t she probably could have simply called him this customer but the fact of the matter is she didn't. She wasn't "PC" about it i guess. Mind you even in the enlightened west ppl aren't pc all the time cos sometimes they don't care or they forgot and they are taught about being pc where it's racism for saying the wrong things etc. These things aren't taught in thailand fyi. Thai version of pc is different from the western version.

If you care to read his OP he mentioned he wrote to the manager and the manager apologized to him and all that. Yet strangely he's still carrying this grudge around being offended and even started a thread about it here ranting on it away probably to get more ppl here to console him insulting those evil thais like a baby being pat on it's head oh you poor thing!!!!. cheesy.gif

His entire story is just like the story of the 2 monks crossing a river and one carried a woman across on his back. They continue walking on dry land for hours and one monk finally asks him why did you carry a woman. The other monk told him i already put her down but you're still carrying her on you. In short holding a grudge over a small silly incident.

Edited by ultimate weapon
  • Like 1

unbelievable i thought i was the one being spammed at but it isn't only me. Ford8 posts and damn a whole barrage of posts ensue.

It isn't actually a discussion in which ppl are asked their own opinions like the thread title suggests. It's OP forcing his opinion unto others. It's really odd that he would title his thread like that as if he's actually asking for our opinions and then start to argue with those that disagree with his pre determined opinion on his situation.

coming to the post a little late, but I thought I'd share my bits here anyways . . .

My former boss when I was working in Thailand is an muslim Indian from Sri Lanka. He's been married to a Thai wife, he has both a Sri Lankan and Irish passport. He went to the London school of economics and is a clever guy.

We often shared trips and evenings out together, and what amazed me most was how his rude behaviour got him points everywhere among the Thais. Myself on thecontrary I got educated to be friendly and humble, and I just didn't believe how well his unfriendlyness got him along. It served for him as a perfect way of telling everybody - the bellboy, the waitress, the shop attendant - ' I AM THE BOSS' . . and he always waved a big wad roll of Thai Baht notes under everyones eyes to underline his superiorness ! The wad roll often got used as an argument booster, even when it was no time to pay for any bill . . .just showing it off was part of the play! And he was master in showing off an annoyed face, the one that looks like he just bit onto a sour lemon.

After reading your post, it reminded me a lot about him. I guess he had felt the xenophobia right after he first set foot into Thailand. Maybe he realized long ago that friendliness and politeness did not get him far here, and thus switched into 'Boss-Mood'. Can't say such behaviour helps against the stereotypical xenophobia of most Thais, it does not cure them, but at least it helped him 'save his face' and make a clear statement of who is the paying customer and who is the employee.

The original poster might be a bit too friendly/sensitive in some ways. Some situations require a more stiff attitude, not utter friendliness. Without any offense meant, stepping up rudeness sometimes helps in situations like the ones pointed from EVN . . . just don't shy off so easily and dare show some attitude . .

the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

• prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

it's also been found that almost everyone behaves that way. Like if they met 9 ppl from country A that behave one way the 10th person they see from country A well they are going to assume the 10th person behaves just like the 9 ppl they know from country A. Seriously why do they act like this? Isn't it actually just human nature?

Would you care to elucidate on that? I can't understand what you are trying to say?

not impressed by there opening..."it's also been found that almost everyone behaves that way." - Where was What found by whom and behaves in what way?

You cry racism yet refer to others as farangs. tut tut.

QED

"A characteristic of racists is they like to accuse people who are normally discriminated against of discriminating against their discriminators. Statements like "Well THEY"RE racist too" and questions like "is it racist?" - are not in themselves racist but they ARE the sort of things that racists say."

Edited by wilcopops

I never cross waiters, they might spit in your soup, or worse.

BTW I went once to a Thai company meeting where the coffee etc, was bought in by a girl moving on her knees, she was not handicapped

Myself and my bosses, cut off all contact with that company.

Edited by ford8

Most likely there is racism against Indians and some others, but we must also add foreign women to the list of people inviting discriminatory responses.

Today I went into a 7-Eleven in Jomtien, where usually large numbers of westerners go, and was met by a a 'smirking' gossipy reaction from a boy apparently

employed there. He failed to say any greeting or ask what I wanted, then when I asked for something he stared into space.

(I understand enough Thai to get the gist of some conversations though I cannot speak it)

A lady also at the counter tried to rectify things by finding what I'd asked for and serving me. Meanwhile, he continued insistently in his slanderous gossip trying to override her attempts to straighten things out.

Then I walked around to buy something else, paid and waited to see how he would speak to other customers arriving. The next customers happened to be Thai men, who were greeted with a warm 'good day' or some such. I was astounded and tried to point out the discrepancy, whereupon he tried to ratchet up his 'gossip levels' and rant against me

to them also. I was genuinely astounded, as no other 7-Eleven in this area has been like that.

I wonder whether some other foreigner who speaks good Thai would be willing to go back there with me and ask him to repeat or explain what he was saying?

Any suggestions welcome to take further action on this incident please.

coming to the post a little late, but I thought I'd share my bits here anyways . . .

My former boss when I was working in Thailand is an muslim Indian from Sri Lanka. He's been married to a Thai wife, he has both a Sri Lankan and Irish passport. He went to the London school of economics and is a clever guy.

We often shared trips and evenings out together, and what amazed me most was how his rude behaviour got him points everywhere among the Thais. Myself on thecontrary I got educated to be friendly and humble, and I just didn't believe how well his unfriendlyness got him along. It served for him as a perfect way of telling everybody - the bellboy, the waitress, the shop attendant - ' I AM THE BOSS' . . and he always waved a big wad roll of Thai Baht notes under everyones eyes to underline his superiorness ! The wad roll often got used as an argument booster, even when it was no time to pay for any bill . . .just showing it off was part of the play! And he was master in showing off an annoyed face, the one that looks like he just bit onto a sour lemon.

After reading your post, it reminded me a lot about him. I guess he had felt the xenophobia right after he first set foot into Thailand. Maybe he realized long ago that friendliness and politeness did not get him far here, and thus switched into 'Boss-Mood'. Can't say such behaviour helps against the stereotypical xenophobia of most Thais, it does not cure them, but at least it helped him 'save his face' and make a clear statement of who is the paying customer and who is the employee.

The original poster might be a bit too friendly/sensitive in some ways. Some situations require a more stiff attitude, not utter friendliness. Without any offense meant, stepping up rudeness sometimes helps in situations like the ones pointed from EVN . . . just don't shy off so easily and dare show some attitude . .

Wow so such behavior from him actually shows why some thais are so hostile to indians in general but look you make an excuse for him cos he felt the xenophobia just by setting foot into thailand meaning that most thais are racist. Do you think a foreigner especially a non farang should act like this in a farang country because he feels the xenophobia in farang countries? What about other asians should they behave like that when in thailand?

It's posts like this that actually approves of thai behavior towards others like indians, you're actually trying to excuse him of that behavior by claiming it was the thais that provoked him to behave like that.

Hence we can conclude russians behave like that in pattaya because of the thai xenophobia. Would you agree or do you have different standards when it comes to ppl of other nationalities and your friend.

Would you care to elucidate on that? I can't understand what you are trying to say?

not impressed by there opening..."it's also been found that almost everyone behaves that way." - Where was What found by whom and behaves in what way?

Honestly? It is pretty straight forward. You meet 9 russians that behave one way. Let's assume they behave rudely what would you assume if you met the 10th russian?

Unless you mean to tell me you don't act that way well you are different from the majority of people. Anyway i noticed ppl of different ethnic groups/nationalities get different treatment even those that profess not to stereotype so i wonder do you treat every single person from china differently or the same way.

;b++){var>

That is very true.

Setting clear boundaries and ensuring they know that you're not going to accept shoddy standards of service works well.

The ability to project authority without arrogance is particularly valuable here.

Unfortunately, the sad reality appears to be that the darker skin one has, the less is one's worth in the average person's eyes. This is the case not only in Thailand, but in most of Asia - including India (!). Did you ever see those marriage ads in the Indian papers where parents are trying to marry their sons and daughters off? The first characteristic they always try to mention is how fair their offspring's skin is.

If you're feeling particularly cynical, you might even say that this is true everywhere in the world, except in sub-saharan Africa. Of course there are always exceptions where people have learnt to not judge people by darkness of their skin, but it seems like they are unfortunately still in the minority.

• Like 1

If you're feeling particularly cynical, you might even say that this is true everywhere in the world, except in sub-saharan Africa.

The use of skin whitening products is most rampant in sub-saharan Africa. Some studies show the majority of income-earning women use them, on average spending 20% of their income and as a result many have serious health effects.

"Unfortunately, the sad reality appears to be that the darker skin one has, the less is one's worth in the average person's eyes" - this view is totally subjective and has no solid evidence to back it up.

It assumes that desire for white skin amongst women who can afford it in some countries represent a majority opinion on a worldwide scale - it also follows the racist "excuse" - "well THEY can be clot prejudiced too" - I wonder why??