Racism or Am I Just too Sensitive.

oiboy

You farangs are way too sensitive in Thailand. No other country in the world are there so many foreigners being so suspicious about the natives being racist.

You guys are confusing xenophobic with racism. Sure, those to terms do have similarities but does not extent one another.

it's funny but when farang make racist comments on others but especially asians they are really racist but dare to tell asians how sensitive they are.

They aren't too racist towards blacks nowadays cos blacks are willing to fight back and you know they have all the anti racism organizations and laws backing them so it's not becos they are nicer now.

• Like 1

OP, you probably do know the answer to your question. Yes, the Thai are racist and ignorant, those who are better educated are not so much racist as they are just xenophobic.

I would encourage you to send this well written post to Bangkok Post as a debate piece, I think it could get in as is.

It really is about time people start putting aside the false, pre-internet assumptions of Thai people and start let them know when they are acting like third world nosepickers.

Yes, the sad white man's burden or in this case the indian man's burden.

indian man's burden? did you read his story. None of them were racist at all even the one referring to him as an indian.

Want to see real racism in action just go to a western country and get slurs yelled at you from a car and have things thrown at you.

I can guarantee you that in my country in scandinavia, that the only ones doing the yelling from cars and being racist are the immigrants.

That is after they have received free schooling, free healthcare, monthly living allowances from $1500-$5000 a month, free language lessons and so on.

Very ignorant comment from your side.

You should realize that this is a typical racist rant. Which explains your extremely bigoted remarks about the Thais previously. Very telling, Mr. Hammer.

Hi mods. I think this topic post has run its course and all bases have been covered. smile.png

Before we go, OP, you should watch this video before criticizing the Thais. It's about India's own internal obsession with fair skin. I thought it relevant to this discussion:

http://content.time.com/time/video/player/0,32068,2681931871001_0,00.html?iid=tabvidrecirc

Hi mods. I think this topic post has run its course and all bases have been covered. smile.png

Before we go, OP, you should watch this video before criticizing the Thais. It's about India's own internal obsession with fair skin. I thought it relevant to this discussion:

http://content.time.com/time/video/player/0,32068,2681931871001_0,00.html?iid=tabvidrecirc

If you think that racism is just about skin color.

Race - in itself as a concept - is an arbitrarily defined social construct.

Like beauty, it has no objective reality, it is 100% the product of perception and interpretation.

Kids don't perceive the idea of race, they have to be taught these false ideas.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

errr... why are you throwing your indian in my face... It happens to many of us... perhaps your using it as an excuse...

There is also a difference with keeping your cool and not standing up for your rights, or simply cowarding away from a situation.... That same situation, had you stood up, may (MAY) have made some impact for the next persons treatment......

OP:

The litany of examples you provided is truly disturbing and my heart goes out to you.

To the extent that this discrimination exists, it's all ignorance, and I hope you keep on keepin' on.

They don't call Southeast-Asia Indo-China for nothing.

• 2 months later...

Race - in itself as a concept - is an arbitrarily defined social construct.

Like beauty, it has no objective reality, it is 100% the product of perception and interpretation.

Kids don't perceive the idea of race, they have to be taught these false ideas.

So you have been taught, by the new religion - faith-based religion - of "Political Correctness". However, natural common sense and empirical experience tells you otherwise, so you feel the need to state the Commandment, one of the fundamental tenets of your belief system. (Equivalent to religionists repeatedly stating "XYZ!" when it is quite obviously absurd.)

Young children are not concerned with it, but it manifests after puberty, at high school, by which time they have enough experience to see the patterns. If you had the experience, you would see that parents who are White, Indian, Chinese or whatever will do their utmost to avoid having to send their children to school where the majority are Africans.

If you want to see Racism in all its glory then go down to that little alley full of bars between Soi 5 and 7 in Bangkok and the very last bar owned by Thais at the soi 5 end has a sign the clearly says "we do not service the black man here"

Racism is disgusting in every form. However, there are some stereotypes being used in Thailand that's just entrenched in many ways. My opinion, though I stand to be corrected, the only races held in high esteem in Thailand are the "whiter" Asian races, such as Japanese, Koreans, Chinese people with a Nationality which is not China (HK, Singapore, Australian/American/English Chinese, etc). Every other Nationality are either liked or resented depending on each individual. I know it's a major generalization though

In case you folks have never noticed, Thailand is a racist country and they have no qualms about showing it... I know it's not in vogue to point this out, but the truth is the truth...

As far as the OP's experience, I would have to say that you have no one to blame except your distant relatives that have made this impression upon the Thai people... Sad, but true...

Curious as to how this topic has revived after 8 months asleep.

So I will nail my colours to the mast.

I am an unapologetic racist, based on personal experiences, while not a good scientific sample to plot a Gaussian Distribution.

I have of course made personal exceptions, to me they are "the exception that proves the rule"

Like a previous poster I affirm my belief that "The w***s begin at Calais"

Edited by ford8

And whether it right or wrong, which I'm not inferring, a white "customer" will get priority over an Indian "customer".

And the OP should be aware of this passing through his life.

Chinese "think" they are high on the pecking order, therefore they "jump" queues.

Russians, likewise, think the same, therefore they shout alot and are quite rude compared to Europeans.

And another "perception" is that Indians are sneaky and try get the lowest lowest price.

This post IS NOT intended to be a "racist" post IN ANY WAY, but is a response to the OP's comments on the reality of life.

Point taken. If you do witness this sort of behaviour do you just ignore it? Say you were the Caucasian person in line behind me would you say something? They guy in line behind me had some sort of sense of self-entitlement. Just curious...

I would have said something. I would have said ' this guy is in front of me please serve him first'.

But I do think you are over playing it. You are worldly travelled so I'm sure its not the only place you have observed it.

When she was just out of the university, my wife worked in an upscale hotel owned by an Thai family of Indian descent. What I found odd was that she told me the owners preferred not to have Indians as guests. I asked if they ever said why they felt that way, but they never gave any reasons to her, at least.

I remarked that this wasn't right, and she rushed to defend the owners, not on that policy, but that they were the best people for whom she ever worked, and she loved the family.

Hi Oilboy,

Good post. Its one of the ongoing mysteries to me that Thais don't like Indians. Given that the language of the temple is Pali it seems a bit strange. But then when Thais are following the monks in a chant I doubt whether anyone understands more than 1% of the meaning of the words. I guess its partly about skin colour, but it seems deeper than that. You did well to take them to task, keep doing it. Thais need desperately to join the rest of the world in so many ways.

• Like 1

Hi Oilboy,

Good post. Its one of the ongoing mysteries to me that Thais don't like Indians. Given that the language of the temple is Pali it seems a bit strange. But then when Thais are following the monks in a chant I doubt whether anyone understands more than 1% of the meaning of the words. I guess its partly about skin colour, but it seems deeper than that. You did well to take them to task, keep doing it. Thais need desperately to join the rest of the world in so many ways.

youre suggesting the rest of the world has left racism behind? lol!!!!

Yes the Thais that work in high-end hospitality jobs are often very snobby toward Isaan mia farang, sometimes even publicly so. Particularly if you're old and she's a young stunner.

However if the man takes charge and calls them on it, escalates to management things get corrected pretty quickly, at least at the genuine quality establishments.

But your girl would rather die and sink deep below the ground than let you make a fuss.

The ultimate was a school administrator asking me if I would like my wife to take extra English lessons. You know "to help her along".

I complained and actually she apologised. Not sure she understood why.

I didn't really come to Thailand to eat Indian food. In fact I'm not a huge fan of Indian food with the exception on South Indian food. smile.png Perhaps I'm sensitive. I guess it's due to the fact that I haven't been exposed to overt displays of racism in my life. Perhaps I'm lucky for that. I wonder how you would feel if the the shoe was on the other foot?

Plenty of posters (including you) calling white folk Farang.

So really you shouldn't be worried about being a Kairk.

Calling folk by their racial background is a slippery slope, and you're on it.

PS. I'm not white either

PPS. Don't forget to remind them Buddha came from India, so all their monks are kairk worshipers.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

My fiancee refers to herself as "kheak" because she her family are dark skinned Muslim Thais. I have also heard my staff refer too our foreign customers as "kheak" because they are outsiders (not necessarily farang, Chinese etc. also) and that is the word they choose. I don't think it's that offensive, it seems to be mean outsider in general and Semitic/Persian/Pakistani/Indian/Bengali/Burmese/Maldivian/Malay/Sri Lankan/Indonesian also