Thriple threat fat attack

MrHammer

Nuts are high in protein and fats and that is mainstay on this diet.

Low carb is not conclusively linked to heart disease, that is a very controversial subject and there really isn't a scientific base for this claim according to many doctors:

http://www.docsopinion.com/2013/03/17/low-carb-diets-and-heart-disease-what-are-we-afraid-of/

The relationship between the consumption of fat, saturated fat in particular was studied in the Swedish Malmö Diet and Cancer Study published in 2007. In this large prospective observational study, no trend towards higher cardiovascular event risk for women or men with higher total or saturated fat intakes, was observed. This study was later included in the much cited Siri-Tariono meta-analysis published 2010, showing no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of heart disease.

A number of randomized clinical trials have compared low-carbohydrate diets with other dietary approaches. In many of these studies, low carb diets have resulted in more short-term weigh loss in healthy women, individuals with severe obesity with high prevalence of the metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes, overweight adolescents, overweight individuals with hyperlipidemia, and premenopausal women, compared with low-fat diets. Furthermore, negative effects on blood lipids with low-carbohydrate diets were not observed in these studies and markers of the metabolic syndrome were generally improved.

What we do know is that high increase in carbs are linked to diabetes and weigth gain and both those two increase the risk of heart disease.

Doctors insist it is time to bust the myth of the role of saturated fat in heart disease.

Some western nations, such as Sweden, are now adopting dietary guidelines that encourage foods high in fat but low in carbs.

Cardiologist Aseem Malhotra says almost four decades of advice to cut back on saturated fats found in cream, butter and less lean meat has ‘paradoxically increased our cardiovascular risks’.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a silly diet plan especially dangerous for many people who have blood sugar issues.

Yet again people trying to think up ingenuous diet plans to lose weight when in reality you can eat quite a few times a day and lose weight provided you eat the right type and quantity of food.

Cut out all sugar and all processed food and limit carbs to brown rice, oats or a bit of wholemeal bread.

Exercise moderately and you cant fail to lose weight if indeed you are overweight already.

• Like 2

Low carb is not conclusively linked to heart disease, that is a very controversial subject and there really isn't a scientific base for this claim according to many doctors:

http://www.docsopinion.com/2013/03/17/low-carb-diets-and-heart-disease-what-are-we-afraid-of/

The relationship between the consumption of fat, saturated fat in particular was studied in the Swedish Malmö Diet and Cancer Study published in 2007. In this large prospective observational study, no trend towards higher cardiovascular event risk for women or men with higher total or saturated fat intakes, was observed. This study was later included in the much cited Siri-Tariono meta-analysis published 2010, showing no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of heart disease.

A number of randomized clinical trials have compared low-carbohydrate diets with other dietary approaches. In many of these studies, low carb diets have resulted in more short-term weigh loss in healthy women, individuals with severe obesity with high prevalence of the metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes, overweight adolescents, overweight individuals with hyperlipidemia, and premenopausal women, compared with low-fat diets. Furthermore, negative effects on blood lipids with low-carbohydrate diets were not observed in these studies and markers of the metabolic syndrome were generally improved.

What we do know is that high increase in carbs are linked to diabetes and weigth gain and both those two increase the risk of heart disease.

Doctors insist it is time to bust the myth of the role of saturated fat in heart disease.

Some western nations, such as Sweden, are now adopting dietary guidelines that encourage foods high in fat but low in carbs.

Cardiologist Aseem Malhotra says almost four decades of advice to cut back on saturated fats found in cream, butter and less lean meat has ‘paradoxically increased our cardiovascular risks’.

And there are even more studies that are indicative that a high fat diet does increase the risk of heart disease. The notion that high cholesterol and fat do not cause heart disease is the cause célèbre du jour, and this has made a lot of people a lot of money in the lucrative diet book industry, and while recent studies do point to irritation of the circulatory system as a major player, there is little doubt that cholesterol and fat do cause plaque on the arteries. Most governments and reputable medical organizations still advocate a diet lower in fat than what most people eat.

Regardless, using nuts as a mainstay of the diet is pretty short-sighted, in my opinion. One cup of nuts can be 1,000 calories, and that would be half of your recommended caloric intake. One gram of protein received from nuts comes along with over 15 calories. Compare that with turkey, chicken, and most fish, that same gram of protein comes with fewer than five calories. One gram of protein from tofu "costs" only a little over seven calories. So despite some beneficial contribution from nuts, they are just too caloric to be considered a mainstay for any effective and healthy diet.

this is one of those unhealthy methods. if you want to loose fat for a better and healthier life, this is not the case. by the way, whenever you choose a RAPID way, you're loosing your FAiTh not FAT.

you can loose rapid fat....no problem with it......

Yes, it does mean that you won't have breakfast and lunch as you know it. Yes, it may seem extreme to the modern lifestyle, however, biologically speaking it is not extreme. It is probably how hunter gatherers lived for thousands of years. Grab some nuts, some roots, some vegetables and go hunt, then feast in the evening.

I've done this myself on several occasions and it is not at all as uncomfortable as it seems, you quickly adjust and the hunger is barely noticeable after a few days.

I'm not saying do this forever, but it is easily workable for 2-3 weeks for example at which point you can begin introducing two eggs and a slice of salmon at lunch for example.

The point is to not stuff yourself with carbs in the morning, thus likely forcing the body to burn fat during the day. Internmittent fasting is quite well researched.

I'd like to grab your nuts! And twist them! Sounds like this diet is a death wish.bah.gif

I fail to see why it is silly. It works and works well. It is not something I thought up, but a combination of scientifically proven methods. I'd challenge anyone - who is healthy - to try this for two weeks and see what happens.

Intermitten fasting is well documented: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15741046

Intermittent fasting (IF; reduced meal frequency) and caloric restriction (CR) extend lifespan and increase resistance to age-related diseases in rodents and monkeys and improve the health of overweight humans. Both IF and CR enhance cardiovascular and brain functions and improve several risk factors for coronary artery disease and stroke including a reduction in blood pressure and increased insulin sensitivity.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24075505

Relative to the LFHC group, the HFLC group had greater improvements in blood lipids and systemic inflammation with similar changes in body weight and composition. This small-scale study suggests that HFLC diets may be more beneficial to cardiovascular health and inflammation in free-living obese adults compared to LFHC diets.

And there are even more studies that are indicative that a high fat diet does increase the risk of heart disease. The notion that high cholesterol and fat do not cause heart disease is the cause célèbre du jour, and this has made a lot of people a lot of money in the lucrative diet book industry, and while recent studies do point to irritation of the circulatory system as a major player, there is little doubt that cholesterol and fat do cause plaque on the arteries. Most governments and reputable medical organizations still advocate a diet lower in fat than what most people eat.

Regardless, using nuts as a mainstay of the diet is pretty short-sighted, in my opinion. One cup of nuts can be 1,000 calories, and that would be half of your recommended caloric intake. One gram of protein received from nuts comes along with over 15 calories. Compare that with turkey, chicken, and most fish, that same gram of protein comes with fewer than five calories. One gram of protein from tofu "costs" only a little over seven calories. So despite some beneficial contribution from nuts, they are just too caloric to be considered a mainstay for any effective diet.

See the study I linked one post above. Basically, the correlation between high fat and heart disease was never really sufficiently proven. As for the nuts, I just have one of the small packs of almonds a day, maybe at most two packs. That is not more than 70g a day which is only about 300-400 calories tops. It is not a mainstay of the diet at all.

More on the efficiency of low carb:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23651522

Individuals assigned to a VLCKD achieve a greater weight loss than those assigned to a LFD in the longterm; hence, a VLCKD may be an alternative tool against obesity.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3612489/

In conclusion, in both male and female, rapid weight reduction induced by an 8-week VLCD intervention effectively decreased total abdominal subcutaneous and visceral adipose tissue compartments, and liver fat content, increased skeletal muscle percentage of whole body weight, improved metabolic profile, and insulin resistance and sensitivity. All these beneficial effects might have been due to enhanced hepatic and whole-body lipolysis and oxidation.

If you are going by research done 10-15 years ago, then you are misinformed, there is plenty of studies being done recently that prove the benefits of fasting and low carb.

Regardless, using nuts as a mainstay of the diet is pretty short-sighted, in my opinion. One cup of nuts can be 1,000 calories, and that would be half of your recommended caloric intake. One gram of protein received from nuts comes along with over 15 calories. Compare that with turkey, chicken, and most fish, that same gram of protein comes with fewer than five calories. One gram of protein from tofu "costs" only a little over seven calories. So despite some beneficial contribution from nuts, they are just too caloric to be considered a mainstay for any effective diet.

See the study I linked one post above. Basically, the correlation between high fat and heart disease was never really sufficiently proven. As for the nuts, I just have one of the small packs of almonds a day, maybe at most two packs. That is not more than 70g a day which is only about 300-400 calories tops. It is not a mainstay of the diet at all.

As I wrote, there are more studies that do show the link. The concept that there is no link has been a big money maker for the proponents to this theory. Personally, while I don't think a high fat diet is the only cause of heart disease, I do think it is a major contributor. My father died of plaque-blocked arteries, and my brother has had seven stents put in.

I have a personal interest in heart disease given my family history, and I have read as many studies as I can. I have read the flood of recent studies that decry carbs or sugar as the sole culprits, but I give them just as little credence as those that point to any other single factor.

I mentioned nuts as a mainstay because you wrote they were a mainstay. See your own quote above.

The longest living people in the world have a couple of things in common, two of them being diet and exercise. The Okinawans, who are the oldest living people, do have a diet that is low in fat. They eat more than their share of carbs. The Sardinians and the ikarians (from Ikaria in Greece) do eat cheese and butter, but they also eat fish and grains. The Adventists in California are vegetarians (nuts are big in their diet, though). All of these groups are in the top five longest living groups in the world. Rather than jump from the latest and coolest study that purports to have all the answers, I prefer to take a more rational and reasonable approach. A balanced diet and exercise are perhaps the easiest changes a person can make to his or her lifestyle for a long and happy life. Eliminating stress and having lots of friends are also important, but maybe a little harder to achieve. And of course, good genes are vital, but for that, you have to play with the hand dealt to you.

The diet as stated is, to my way of thinking rather dangerous. Try a meal replacement drink for breakfast, plenty of green vegetables for lunch with home made soups. Meal replacement drink for dinner. No sugar, tea, coffee, meat, potatoes or rice. At least 3 litres water per day for 11 days and the weight will fall off. Moderate exercise over this period. After the 11 days return to a low calorie diet with more exercise and keep the meal portions small. If you wish to lose more weight leave at least two month before returning to the diet. It works if you stick to it and can even cure type two diabetes. Proven.

I can't find the online link, but this study showed that intermittent fasting can actually damage the heart (in rats, at least).

Ahmet I, Wan R, Mattson MP, Lakatta EG, Talan MI. Chronic alternate-day fasting results in reduced diastolic compliance and diminished systolic reserve in rats. J Card Fail. 2010 Oct;16(10):843-53. Epub 2010 Jul 1. PubMed PMID: 20932467; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC29534

Rats are not humans. If rats were humans we would have cured cancer a long time ago.

As for your family history, then I am sorry to hear that, however, obesity is probably more the cause than eating fat. Causation and correlation are things every scientist grapple with and while you would probably find a lot of people with heart disease who ate a lot of fat and red meat, they probably also ate a whole lot of carbs in the form of potatoes and bread.

I do not think the rather vast recent body of studies can be disproven any more that I could claim that studies done in the 90s were sponsored by the grain producers and users in the US.

French people btw also are remarkably healthy and long lived and they eat a high fat diet. Could it be that there are indeed also genetic differences between a Japanese okinawan and a French caucasian?

My pet theory is that if you eat your local produce to where your ancestors are from, in a raw, unprocessed form, then that is probably what is the healthiest. It is hardly a stretch to think that Thai people adapted to eating rice, while northern europeans adapted to a diet rich in fish and fat.

My grandfather to give an example ate a high fat diet and lived to be 90 years old. He'd eat lard - pure fat - on a slice of bread and never had the slightest heart problems. He also ate a lot of fish and not much bread.

OK Amigos, just check out my world famous "LOLES UPDATE"

listen so much, cause every word is importatnt.

from 6,00 am to 23.59 you can eat anything, up to you.

from 24.00 to 5.59 am you can eat ONLY caviar ....

if you have,

if have not ...

anything up to you.

Try it, send feedback, and you can win lottery ticket.

Edited by Loles
  • Like 2

Rats are not humans. If rats were humans we would have cured cancer a long time ago.

As for your family history, then I am sorry to hear that, however, obesity is probably more the cause than eating fat. Causation and correlation are things every scientist grapple with and while you would probably find a lot of people with heart disease who ate a lot of fat and red meat, they probably also ate a whole lot of carbs in the form of potatoes and bread.

I do not think the rather vast recent body of studies can be disproven any more that I could claim that studies done in the 90s were sponsored by the grain producers and users in the US.

French people btw also are remarkably healthy and long lived and they eat a high fat diet. Could it be that there are indeed also genetic differences between a Japanese okinawan and a French caucasian?

My pet theory is that if you eat your local produce to where your ancestors are from, in a raw, unprocessed form, then that is probably what is the healthiest. It is hardly a stretch to think that Thai people adapted to eating rice, while northern europeans adapted to a diet rich in fish and fat.

My grandfather to give an example ate a high fat diet and lived to be 90 years old. He'd eat lard - pure fat - on a slice of bread and never had the slightest heart problems. He also ate a lot of fish and not much bread.

Neither my brother nor my father was fat. Both were quite slim (my brother still is slim). So there goes that postulation. I would tend to be heavy, probably taking after my mom, but I maintain a healthy weight with my diet and exercise. My weight is actually a bit higher than normal for someone of my height, but a good deal of that is muscle mass. My body fat percentage is actually well within standards.

You came here posting asking for opinions. It seems to me that when anyone has posted something that doesn't profess your acumen and the veracity of your ideas, then you jump back at them. If you don't want to read about contrary opinions, then don't come here and ask what we think about your theories.

Neither my brother nor my father was fat. Both were quite slim (my brother still is slim). So there goes that postulation. I would tend to be heavy, probably taking after my mom, but I maintain a healthy weight with my diet and exercise. My weight is actually a bit higher than normal for someone of my height, but a good deal of that is muscle mass. My body fat percentage is actually well within standards.

You came here posting asking for opinions. It seems to me that when anyone has posted something that doesn't profess your acumen and the veracity of your ideas, then you jump back at them. If you don't want to read about contrary opinions, then don't come here and ask what we think about your theories.

It wasn't my intention to come off as arrogant here, though my replies may have seen that way because I get annoyed at people posting unsubstantiated attacks - not you.

‘…With the greatest respect, as a trained Nutritionist, this is complete nonsense. Meals should revolve around starch; Rice, pasta, bread, potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, squash/pumpkin...all the comfort foods we love. It is the fat in meat and dairy that makes you fat. Not sugar and not carbs. Even the leanest meat has fat running through it and the worst offender is chicken. Often chosen because it is considered the healthier option, fish has more cholesterol than some meats.

An adult male needs a maximum of 50 grams of protein per day, so the majority of Westerners eat far too much animal protein. A plant-based diet is proven to be the healthiest...And don't forget these vital facts:

Protein builds/repairs the body

Carbs give you the energy to breathe, move about and the glucose for your brain to function. Low carbs and you'll have low energy and be lethargic.

You can get all your carbs AND PROTEIN needs from plants. Plants contain NO CHOLESTEROL, but have fibre. (Animals have bones to hold them together, plants have fibre)

There are NO CARBS in meat and absolutely NO FIBRE. High meat diets are a leading cause of bowel cancer, especially when the meat is charcoal cooked, barbecued or processed.

It is the animal fat that, among other life-threatening diseases, causes heart attacks and strokes. Animal fat, not plant fat. You will never hear of someone dying from a broccoli-induced cardiac arrest, or having a stroke through eating too many tomatoes.

The Thais and other Asians have it right! Small meals at regular intervals with the main part of the meal consisting of rice or noodles (both carbs)

Look around you. The Thai 'diet' works. The Western diet, especially the typical American diet, which the UK and increasingly other countries are adopting doesn't, which is why the West is getting fatter.

When considering a weight-loss plan, above all it MUST be healthy. There are a million ways to lose weight, such as contracting HIV or having Chemotherapy for cancer, but they are not healthy options. High protein, low carb, such as The Atkins Diet forces the body into a grossly unhealthy state of Ketosis seen in patients before they die. Is this REALLY how you want to lose weight?

To find out why the correct way is to eat a starch-based diet with the addition of vegetables and a small amount of fruit, check out John McDougall MD on his website and especially on YouTube: http://www.drmcdougall.com/

To uncover the leading causes of death, enjoy this video from Michael Greger MD:

Weight loss is easy, but to change your body and your health you have to CHANGE what you eat!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Leave the animals alone. Eat the dam_n salad! - theMagician.

I am no vegetarian but enjoyed reading your post - very interesting and informative.

There are 2 sides to the losing weight equation and it seems people focus more on the food than the exercise, but forget that eating well will help them to do more exercise and be more HEALTHY rather than just weighing less.

What is your opinion on fish?... in particular Sea Bass (which seems to be the most commonly available here in Thailand).

The Thais and other Asians have it right!

I really need to try not to be condecending, but your post is incredible misinformed. Humans are omnivores and have always eaten meat and fish at least where I am from. In fact, we were so fond of meat that we hunted the mammoth and other big ice age animals to extintion! When scientists dig up garbage disposals from the real stone age they find a plethora of fish such as tuna, bones from deer, rabbits and many other small animals.

They find very little evidence of grain and starch until much later on in history.

As for Asians have it right, how tall are the asians exactly?

Do you realize that the young generation of chinese are now much taller than their grandparents and parents, almost as tall as westerners, because they have switched to a diet rich in protein and fat?

As I wrote, there are more studies that do show the link. The concept that there is no link has been a big money maker for the proponents to this theory. Personally, while I don't think a high fat diet is the only cause of heart disease, I do think it is a major contributor. My father died of plaque-blocked arteries, and my brother has had seven stents put in.

I have a personal interest in heart disease given my family history, and I have read as many studies as I can. I have read the flood of recent studies that decry carbs or sugar as the sole culprits, but I give them just as little credence as those that point to any other single factor.

I mentioned nuts as a mainstay because you wrote they were a mainstay. See your own quote above.

The longest living people in the world have a couple of things in common, two of them being diet and exercise. The Okinawans, who are the oldest living people, do have a diet that is low in fat. They eat more than their share of carbs. The Sardinians and the ikarians (from Ikaria in Greece) do eat cheese and butter, but they also eat fish and grains. The Adventists in California are vegetarians (nuts are big in their diet, though). All of these groups are in the top five longest living groups in the world. Rather than jump from the latest and coolest study that purports to have all the answers, I prefer to take a more rational and reasonable approach. A balanced diet and exercise are perhaps the easiest changes a person can make to his or her lifestyle for a long and happy life. Eliminating stress and having lots of friends are also important, but maybe a little harder to achieve. And of course, good genes are vital, but for that, you have to play with the hand dealt to you.

carefully with the Greek and Japan long living people studies. For both they found out that there is massive pension fund fraud....so the grandma died with 75, but for the monthly payments she lives another 20 years......So now there is some doubt if these people really live longer, or if the statistics are based on wrong data.

• Like 1

‘…With the greatest respect, as a trained Nutritionist, this is complete nonsense. Meals should revolve around starch; Rice, pasta, bread, potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, squash/pumpkin...all the comfort foods we love. It is the fat in meat and dairy that makes you fat. Not sugar and not carbs. Even the leanest meat has fat running through it and the worst offender is chicken. Often chosen because it is considered the healthier option, fish has more cholesterol than some meats.

An adult male needs a maximum of 50 grams of protein per day, so the majority of Westerners eat far too much animal protein. A plant-based diet is proven to be the healthiest...And don't forget these vital facts:

Carbs give you the energy to breathe, move about and the glucose for your brain to function. Low carbs and you'll have low energy and be lethargic.

You can get all your carbs AND PROTEIN needs from plants. Plants contain NO CHOLESTEROL, but have fibre. (Animals have bones to hold them together, plants have fibre)

There are NO CARBS in meat and absolutely NO FIBRE. High meat diets are a leading cause of bowel cancer, especially when the meat is charcoal cooked, barbecued or processed.

It is the animal fat that, among other life-threatening diseases, causes heart attacks and strokes. Animal fat, not plant fat. You will never hear of someone dying from a broccoli-induced cardiac arrest, or having a stroke through eating too many tomatoes.

The Thais and other Asians have it right! Small meals at regular intervals with the main part of the meal consisting of rice or noodles (both carbs)

Look around you. The Thai 'diet' works. The Western diet, especially the typical American diet, which the UK and increasingly other countries are adopting doesn't, which is why the West is getting fatter.

When considering a weight-loss plan, above all it MUST be healthy. There are a million ways to lose weight, such as contracting HIV or having Chemotherapy for cancer, but they are not healthy options. High protein, low carb, such as The Atkins Diet forces the body into a grossly unhealthy state of Ketosis seen in patients before they die. Is this REALLY how you want to lose weight?

To find out why the correct way is to eat a starch-based diet with the addition of vegetables and a small amount of fruit, check out John McDougall MD on his website and especially on YouTube: http://www.drmcdougall.com/

To uncover the leading causes of death, enjoy this video from Michael Greger MD:

Weight loss is easy, but to change your body and your health you have to CHANGE what you eat!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

I am no vegetarian but enjoyed reading your post - very interesting and informative.

There are 2 sides to the losing weight equation and it seems people focus more on the food than the exercise, but forget that eating well will help them to do more exercise and be more HEALTHY rather than just weighing less.

What is your opinion on fish?... in particular Sea Bass (which seems to be the most commonly available here in Thailand).

'...A vegetarian for 42-years, following Michael Greger's discoveries I am now a full-on vegan, so eat no fish AND NO OIL (please see video above):

Fish is high in cholesterol, so there is little diference between fish and steak, healthwise. They are both animal.

Please take the time, when convenient, to watch Doctor Greger's video on the original post. In it you will discover that a plant-based diet far outstrips a diet PLUS exercise, although I would encourage everyone to move around a bit more.

A recent finding links vitamin E oil supplements to a 20% increase in prostate cancer, so yet another oil to avoid: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2565200/Vitamin-E-supplements-raise-risk-prostate-cancer-20.html

No animal, no dairy, no oil on a salad or to cook with sounds like a prison sentence, but I enjoy wonderful foods and have proven to my own satisfaction that a plant-based diet works for weight maintenance and superb health. I take no medication, haven't seen a doctor in more than forty years and weigh the same as I did at 19, just 60-62 kilos...AND, as I have no animal fat and cholesterol clogging my arteries, while I might get hit by a bus, I certainly won't die of a heart attack or stroke'. - theMagician

I'm not sure who Doctor Greger is and don't really have much respect for scientific studies performed / summarized by the Daily Mail but I do think a lot of what you say makes sense intuitively.

Given the conflicting scientific evidence / opinion on various types of food I would not take such an extreme position as you to eat no meat but I would certainly like to eat less meat and more healthy vegetables.

However, I still need energy to exercise (I love walking, running and swimming and believe they are all important to keep me mentally and physically fit) so need to choose my food carefully.

I know it must be possible to get energy from vegetables (there was that Australian couple in their 60s who ran a marathon every day for a year on a vegan diet) but I would like to know which vegetables / fruits provide an energy boost.

Do you know which vegetables are high in protein / energy?... do you know which Thai dishes I can find in restaurants / on the street in Bangkok would be best? (I don't have a kitchen or interest in preparing food)

'...A vegetarian for 42-years, following Michael Greger's discoveries I am now a full-on vegan, so eat no fish AND NO OIL (please see video above):

Fish is high in cholesterol, so there is little diference between fish and steak, healthwise. They are both animal.

Please take the time, when convenient, to watch Doctor Greger's video on the original post. In it you will discover that a plant-based diet far outstrips a diet PLUS exercise, although I would encourage everyone to move around a bit more.

A recent finding links vitamin E oil supplements to a 20% increase in prostate cancer, so yet another oil to avoid: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2565200/Vitamin-E-supplements-raise-risk-prostate-cancer-20.html

No animal, no dairy, no oil on a salad or to cook with sounds like a prison sentence, but I enjoy wonderful foods and have proven to my own satisfaction that a plant-based diet works for weight maintenance and superb health. I take no medication, haven't seen a doctor in more than forty years and weigh the same as I did at 19, just 60-62 kilos...AND, as I have no animal fat and cholesterol clogging my arteries, while I might get hit by a bus, I certainly won't die of a heart attack or stroke'. - theMagician

I'm not sure who Doctor Greger is and don't really have much respect for scientific studies performed / summarized by the Daily Mail but I do think a lot of what you say makes sense intuitively.

Given the conflicting scientific evidence / opinion on various types of food I would not take such an extreme position as you to eat no meat but I would certainly like to eat less meat and more healthy vegetables.

However, I still need energy to exercise (I love walking, running and swimming and believe they are all important to keep me mentally and physically fit) so need to choose my food carefully.

I know it must be possible to get energy from vegetables (there was that Australian couple in their 60s who ran a marathon every day for a year on a vegan diet) but I would like to know which vegetables / fruits provide an energy boost.

Do you know which vegetables are high in protein / energy?... do you know which Thai dishes I can find in restaurants / on the street in Bangkok would be best? (I don't have a kitchen or interest in preparing food)

I think high in energy isn't a problem: rice, wheat, rye, coconut, etc etc

Protein: beside quantity you need also good quality....there is a lot of information which proteins to combine to get a quality close to animal protein. Just google for it...Available in Thailand: I don't know...it gets difficult.

I think there is even some protein powder for vegetarian bodybuilder.

But if you just don't eat meat, but do eat milk products, eggs and or fish you have it very easy. Just one of it has everything you need.

Just I think it is difficult to eat a low carb high protein diet on vegetables....

I quit beer and lost five kilos in two months, no diet at all.

I did the same, as Thai beer isn't worth drinking at all....

it is surprising how much calories a little bit beer, wine, vodka has.....+ it makes hungry

Seems ill-conceived to me.

The body is going to be breaking down muscle, rather than burning fat.

Starve yourself all day and binge on 2000 calories between 6 p.m. and midnight is going to mean a massive spike in blood sugar resulting in fat being deposited, rather than burned - particularly because you're then going to go to sleep and be inactive.

The body will always break down fat before muscle. If you are overweight, your muscle will be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Actually, no food other than 'real' juice or water after 7pm. The largest meal should be breakfast & at least 2-3 hours later, a heavy workout. Lunch....whatever & dinner light greens & raw vegetables. Foods/liquids to avoid - all alcohol, beans, nuts, starch, soy, anything gluten, non-natural sugar, anything spicy (unless you're Thai), oil in foods (Bran, olive, corn or some vegetable okay). Most important to cut out all alcohol, breads...i.e. Starch & exercise a normal routine. Juicing 3-4 days (with a real juicer & fresh vegetables) a month would be a plus. Also, no smoking & restricted sex only after the first 3 months.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

'...ALL fruits will give an energy boost because of the fructose (fruit sugar). Be sure to have your fruit whole, not as a juice with all the pulp thrown away.

All vegetables are carbohydrate. Those with the highest ratio of protein to carb are as follows, although this is not a comprehensive list, just a few pointers:

Sun-dried tomatoes

Soybean sprouts

Garlic

Dried seaweed

Green peas and/or corn

Chickpeas

Portabello mushrooms

Spinach

Onions

Broccoli

The humble potato

Thai straw mushrooms

Your question asks, "Do you know which vegetables are high in protein / energy?".

Energy comes from Carbohydrates (Carbs) NOT protein. If you lived on meat, poultry or fish alone you would be a very sick puppy as there is no vitamin C, to name just one vitamin, in meat and, as said earlier, no fibre.

Eating off the streets of Bankok, or indeed most Thai streets; Eat the fruit from the Hawkers when peckish, such as the fresh watermelon, pineapple, papaya. Avoid the fried chicken and sit down for a vegetable stir-fried rice, Pad Pak Bung Fai Daeng (Morning Glory), Asparagus, or a Japanese noodle soup with high-protein Miso and Soba noodles (carb). A most healthy breakfast is Jok, (rice porridge) and for lunch Som Tam (Green papaya salad with peanuts...even with the sugar it's very healthy and filling.

Hope that helps! - theMagician

Thanks a lot - that is really helpful - I love all the foods you mention (except Som Tum).

Actually, no food other than 'real' juice or water after 7pm. The largest meal should be breakfast & at least 2-3 hours later, a heavy workout. Lunch....whatever & dinner light greens & raw vegetables. Foods/liquids to avoid - all alcohol, beans, nuts, starch, soy, anything gluten, non-natural sugar, anything spicy (unless you're Thai), oil in foods (Bran, olive, corn or some vegetable okay). Most important to cut out all alcohol, breads...i.e. Starch & exercise a normal routine. Juicing 3-4 days (with a real juicer & fresh vegetables) a month would be a plus. Also, no smoking & restricted sex only after the first 3 months.

A fairly comprehensive study conducted at the University of Melbourne revealed that more weight was lost by people who exercised before breakfast than after. Personally, I exercise before lunch as my body takes awhile to get going, but the results of the study were pretty conclusive and have been well received.

Why the restricted sex? I've never heard or read that, and as exercise and a stress-reducer, both which help in weight loss, that statement seems counter-productive to me.

The Thais and other Asians have it right!

I really need to try not to be condecending, but your post is incredible misinformed. Humans are omnivores and have always eaten meat and fish at least where I am from. In fact, we were so fond of meat that we hunted the mammoth and other big ice age animals to extintion! When scientists dig up garbage disposals from the real stone age they find a plethora of fish such as tuna, bones from deer, rabbits and many other small animals.

They find very little evidence of grain and starch until much later on in history.

As for Asians have it right, how tall are the asians exactly?

Do you realize that the young generation of chinese are now much taller than their grandparents and parents, almost as tall as westerners, because they have switched to a diet rich in protein and fat?

'...By all means ignore what I say, but PLEASE watch the posted videos.

You are right when you say the new generation of Chinese children are larger than their parents and grandparents as they become more affluent and adopt a more Western diet, however, the simple proof is that they will not live as long and will experience diseases that their predecessors never had. It has been proven that Asians leaving their home country to live in America, for example, when changing their diet gain weight and experience health problems. What is so fascinating is that should they return home to China or Japan, their health improves and their weight returns to normal. I would recommend you read the The China Study: http://www.thechinastudy.com/

Finally, there is no need to feel you are being condescending. I am trained in this stuff and have lectured in Nutrition in two UK colleges, so before anyone wants to take me on, I would suggest they get ALL their ducks in a row first.

Omnivores? Just because we can eat animals, doesn't mean we should'. -theMagician

Wow so credible.. i have given lectures.

What hammer says is right we all know it.

Get it through your head.. we evolved and got smarter when we started to eat meat proven fact.

who tells the largest meal should be the breakfast? It is said many times, but never read any reason for it.

no smoking?? restricted sex? I always thought smoking makes you less hungry and sex burns a lot energy?

• Like 1

Seems ill-conceived to me.

The body is going to be breaking down muscle, rather than burning fat.

Starve yourself all day and binge on 2000 calories between 6 p.m. and midnight is going to mean a massive spike in blood sugar resulting in fat being deposited, rather than burned - particularly because you're then going to go to sleep and be inactive.

The body will always break down fat before muscle. If you are overweight, your muscle will be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That "always" is not true....The body has some problems burning only fat......if you make things wrong the body need to convert muscle protein into sugar to be able to burn the fat.