The most dangerous countries to drive in; Thailand ranks #2

webfact

The most dangerous countries to drive in
Stephen Ottley
Motoring Writer

New study rates your chances of dying in a car around the world.

Planning a trip to Namibia or Thailand? If so, you may want to think twice about driving there.

New research has determined the countries where you are most likely to die in a car accident.

The University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute study entitled “Mortality from road crashes in 193 countries: A comparison with other leading causes of death” also compared the likelihood of dying in a car accident against cancer, heart disease and cerebrovascular disease (brain dysfunction).

The researchers looked at the number of fatalities per population using data from the World Health Organization.

The African nation of Namibia is the country with the highest rate of fatalities from car crashes with 45 people per 100,000 head of population. Thailand is next with 44 deaths per 100,000 and Iran third with 38 deaths.

The results are better for Australian drivers though. Australia ranked 160 out of the 193 countries with seven fatalities per 100,000.

Countries with most deaths from car crashes per 100,000 population*

1. Namibia - 45

2. Thailand - 44

Full story: http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/the-most-dangerous-countries-to-drive-in-20140221-335yt.html

-- Drive.com.au 2014-02-20

related topic:
Thailand ranks the world’s third in highest road fatalities

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/688565-thailand-ranks-the-worlds-third-in-highest-road-fatalities/

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Queue the usual 'Thailand, hub of...' posts and other crap.

I have safely driven maybe three quarters of a million miles in Los between 1977 and now. There's probably some who have done even more.

Sure it would be very risky for someone who had never, driven in LOS to get behind the wheel of a car at Suvarnabhumi and drive to (say) Pai on the pre-Songkran weekend... but who on earth does that?

There's loads of stats on what kills the most foreigners in Thailand but I don't recall it being driving related. Even if we look at the very high risk motorcycle accident victim, outside the tourists spots, you don't see a lot of foreigners on 2-wheels.

Edited by NanLaew

Looking at these figures, Thailand would be the most dangerous for motor/cycle deaths. As about 80% of deaths in Thailand -re road accidents are M/cyclists.

Thailand I would say is number 1 if you ride a M/Cycle.

Only 20% of deaths here are other than m/cyclists and cars are a % of that so make what you like of the figures.

It is reported that Thai deaths stats are ONLY those that die at the scene, so could it be that overall they are number 1 ???

I have safely driven maybe three quarters of a million miles in Los between 1977 and now. There's probably some who have done even more.

Sure it would be very risky for someone who had never, driven in LOS to get behind the wheel of a car at Suvarnabhumi and drive to (say) Pai on the pre-Songkran weekend... but who on earth does that?

There's loads of stats on what kills the most foreigners in Thailand but I don't recall it being driving related.

DID the topic state it was only stats for foreigners ?????------I didn't read it that way.

I have driven maybe the same kilometers as you but as a rule we are not so much involved in these stats % as we are more aware of the dangers, so think Thai driving are what makes up the figures rather than farrangs.

Will these stats be skewed by populations figures? Indian roads are much more dangerous in my view - but the population of India is so vast and only a comparatively small % owns a bike or car - so accidents by head of population will be diluted.

I would rank India, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Philippines, Cambodia above Thailand from what I've seen of the roads - but perhaps fewer people own cars and bikes?

Given the figures, and not seeing anything in the to the contrary in the larger article at Drive.Com.Au, I'm wondering if they looked at 'Total Road Fatalities'.

From what I've seen on Thai roads, not the best and certainly not the worst, I think/hope that it includes all powered vehicles.

Yes, that is about right....

With all the MORONs who drive drunk on Songkran, I am not surprised... people drunk falling out of trucks while they spray water at people standing on the side of the street with water hoses....

I guess Thais are really VIOLENT... Songkran is suppose to be s non-violent festival.. But Thais knack for violence, killing and beating each other up, that is just a dream!!

I don't know....been driving here for 12 years.....just got to be very careful and patient....never had an issue......

Have been close at U turns with cars and bikes coming along the wrong way.

Speed, drugs, booze and tiredness......and of course, inexperience........that's what takes people out here on the roads.

I would put 2 criteria into the mix.

1) A lot of motorbikes & a lot of SUVs - the two don't mix particularly well at speed

2) The main roads are pretty good here compared to other third world countries, therefore you can get a good head of steam up. I've noticed once they widen or relay a road it seems to get more dangerous as people can drive quicker on them.

I've been driving in Thailand for a/b 7+ years. Also road a "chopper" in BKK. I have NEVER seen such antics on the road as here. Up here in Isaan I think it's WORSE, if that is possible. Thais' seem to just do whatever they feel like doing re: operating a motor vehicle. Hell 6 year olds operate motorbikes here.... with a band of friends hanging all over the machine as well.

The most perplexing driving habit that I observe - perhaps - is making a right hand turn from the right hand land and onto the right hand lane of the street/road they turn into. Can this maneuver be explained? I really can not understand why they think this tactic is desirable. To do this is unimaginable (to me); THEN they seem genuinely SHOCKED when a vehicle (traveling in the left lane) nearly hits them.

I could go on but you most likely know the other usual driving infractions. With NO police enforcement it can seem like utter madness/chaos. Wouldn't self preservation prompt individuals to think a/b what might get them killed, and avoid that? I don't get it. Maybe you folks with more experience can clear this up for me. If so thanks in advance.

Looking at these figures, Thailand would be the most dangerous for motor/cycle deaths. As about 80% of deaths in Thailand -re road accidents are M/cyclists.

Thailand I would say is number 1 if you ride a M/Cycle.

Only 20% of deaths here are other than m/cyclists and cars are a % of that so make what you like of the figures.

It is reported that Thai deaths stats are ONLY those that die at the scene, so could it be that overall they are number 1 ???

Oh such cheery news as I jump on my bike to head home ;) Never been hit yet, though have come off in Hua-Hin twice to avoid accident, though strangely enough I find Bangkokian drivers more aware and friendly to m/bike riders such as myself, courtesy and the nod of the head goes along way... Now where's some wood to touch!

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I lived in Africa and Asia for 40 years and there are many countries I consider a hell lot more dangerous than LOS, including my current country of residence, Cambodia.

oh yeah, now that gig is crazy, but keep spinning dude;)

I've been driving in Thailand for a/b 7+ years. Also road a "chopper" in BKK. I have NEVER seen such antics on the road as here. Up here in Isaan I think it's WORSE, if that is possible. Thais' seem to just do whatever they feel like doing re: operating a motor vehicle. Hell 6 year olds operate motorbikes here.... with a band of friends hanging all over the machine as well.

The most perplexing driving habit that I observe - perhaps - is making a right hand turn from the right hand land and onto the right hand lane of the street/road they turn into. Can this maneuver be explained? I really can not understand why they think this tactic is desirable. To do this is unimaginable (to me); THEN they seem genuinely SHOCKED when a vehicle (traveling in the left lane) nearly hits them.

I could go on but you most likely know the other usual driving infractions. With NO police enforcement it can seem like utter madness/chaos. Wouldn't self preservation prompt individuals to think a/b what might get them killed, and avoid that? I don't get it. Maybe you folks with more experience can clear this up for me. If so thanks in advance.

Well I guess the belief in karma and fate has a lot to do with the risks people take and I'm not kidding. The missus simply states that " if it happens it happens". They don't seem to give much thought to life except for the present moment I guess. Not that this comment helps you any as you may already know this...

Will these stats be skewed by populations figures? Indian roads are much more dangerous in my view - but the population of India is so vast and only a comparatively small % owns a bike or car - so accidents by head of population will be diluted.

I would rank India, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Philippines, Cambodia above Thailand from what I've seen of the roads - but perhaps fewer people own cars and bikes?

thailand scares me, india more dangerous but the place i was truly terrified was lebanon - one bus journey the locals showed great respect giving me the front seat next to the driver, never ever again.

The article is so flawed that I hope the author paid to have it published as opposed to actually getting paid for such a schlock job.

How is it so flawed? Provide us with a better synopsis then? Seems quite true when put up against results of other data and info.

Maybe they want to make a point about Thailand driving on the "wrong side" of the road and perhaps soon, Thailand will "move right" just like Myanmar did in 1970. Although that would be a terrible idea, but anyway...as usual, where is the police enforcement?

Most of your post is on the ball, but the one thing here is missing, the motor cyclist wanting to turn right. Mostly they stop on the left hand side of the road, turn their heads to see if anything is coming then cut straight across the road to turn. Most of us that were taught would keep to the near side and well before the right turn we check in the mirror/or look round, if clear signal and move to the extreme right before the turn.

This I have rarely seen BECAUSE they are NOT taught correct. look signal turn---is near non existent for most Thai.

There's loads of stats on what kills the most foreigners in Thailand but I don't recall it being driving related. Even if we look at the very high risk motorcycle accident victim, outside the tourists spots, you don't see a lot of foreigners on 2-wheels.

Seriously? I've only done a tiny fraction of that mileage in seven years here but I've already been crashed into once while stationary. I've seen a pickup lose it and go cartwheeling down the highway. I've seen a truck jack knife and i've seen about half a dozen motorbikes get taken out at traffic lights as I watched. And then there were all the near misses. I rarely drive in this country if I can avoid it and I never drive at night.

To all those guys who have been driving here for years without accident all I can say is Buddha must be looking over your shoulders.

I have been rammed into when stopped waiting at a red light, T boned twice by idiots coming straight out onto main roads and driven off the road by an overtaking 10 wheeler - none of which were my fault.

I wish I had your luck because as far as I am concerned that is all it is.

Will the Government do anything about this ???

I think not... would be nice if they did try...

Yes. They already have, they significantly increased the amount of vehicles on the road, and the amount of inexperience drivers, via the car rebate last year. Yet they did not spend a cent on ensure more effective driver training, or police of the roads.

Good case for a class action agains Yingluck for gross negligence on that one. The road death stats speak for themselves.

Most of your post is on the ball, but the one thing here is missing, the motor cyclist wanting to turn right. Mostly they stop on the left hand side of the road, turn their heads to see if anything is coming then cut straight across the road to turn. Most of us that were taught would keep to the near side and well before the right turn we check in the mirror/or look round, if clear signal and move to the extreme right before the turn.

This I have rarely seen BECAUSE they are NOT taught correct. look signal turn---is near non existent for most Thai.

They quite often do look, signal, turn, but not necessarily in that order.

I think that in Asia (or at least the so called third world) it is somewhat erroneous to publish figures that are deaths per head of population.

As some have noted earlier, some places have much worse driving, but with larger populations the figure is skewed so that it is actually meaningless.

A meaningful figure would be deaths per head of drivers.

Having said this, the driving here covers a very broad spectrum when you take into account the road conditions in some areas, we see some very competent drivers and some complete fools, but one must admit the tendency is toward the fool's end of the spectrum...

They quite often do look, signal, turn, but not necessarily in that order.

I rarely see them signal, but they often turn and then look... actually that's wrong - they almost always signal when going straight ahead through a 4 way intersection - using the hazard warning lights...