Fuel usage

namdocmai

Now before any of you Yanks claim you invented MPG, think about it..could you really be bothered in your big gas guzzlers all in single figures and the price of petrol at 1 cent a gallon over there and besides you don have a proper gallon to measure anyway. Where did that short measure come from? wink.png

Quite simple the US gallon comes from the US Standard system of measurements used in the US

1US gallon = 4 quarts

I think the odd man out is the "imperial" system why even have an "imperial gallon"?

Cannot decide to just go metric or not?

PS: I just noticed this is going to set this thread off topic like so many

So lets just stop now

Edited by mania

PCX 150. New in November. Average 2.05 l per 100 km since new. Now 3400 km.

Ride it like I stole it.

how do you measure consumption?

Keep track of mileage via odometer. Enter km traveled, liters used, price per liter in my smart Fone fuel mileage calculator app.

Keeps a running tab on ongoing mileage I have got since I filled it up for the first time.

Calculates cost per km to operate all my vehicles.

2.05 is the current average of all fill ups since I started from new on PCX.

i calculate the same waý. check odo and divide the km you made with the amount of petrol you buy.

trip computer on cbr500r shows 10 more consumption so not accurate.

man 50 km per lit is cool really! my average is 19 km per lit.

i calculate the same waý. check odo and divide the km you made with the amount of petrol you buy.

trip computer on cbr500r shows 10 more consumption so not accurate.

man 50 km per lit is cool really! my average is 19 km per lit.

I do it basically the same.

Not super accurate as it relies on adding at the same spot

of gas gauge but good enough for rough calculation.

I get anywhere from 23/26km per liter

Now before any of you Yanks claim you invented MPG, think about it..could you really be bothered in your big gas guzzlers all in single figures and the price of petrol at 1 cent a gallon over there and besides you don have a proper gallon to measure anyway. Where did that short measure come from? wink.png

Quite simple the US gallon comes from the US Standard system of measurements used in the US

1US gallon = 4 quarts

I think the odd man out is the "imperial" system why even have an "imperial gallon"?

Cannot decide to just go metric or not?

PS: I just noticed this is going to set this thread off topic like so many

So lets just stop now

It's a joke mate.....

"a US gallon is 4 US quarts"....well that explains it.... and in any case the imperial gallon came first based on 10 pounds of water....it also has 4 quarts.whistling.gif The metric system came much later..........

1US gallon = 4 quarts

yes it is quite simple. In the old days there were many gallons, all different. The "imperial" gallon standardized all liquids sold by volume. The US gallon is the old Wine Gallon probably taken to the US by the early settlers.

My bike gets about 20kms/l. Only measured by running on reserve by mistake!

Edited by VocalNeal

Wave 110i...64,

Spark 135i...54,

90% calmly around town on 91 octane gasohol...better on gasoline.

95 gasoline for better performance and km/l, but in-as-much-as I don't need max performance,

the much cheaper 91 gasohol takes me much farther per baht.

I base this on actually tracking the fuel usage & cost over time and doing the math.

This seems to hold for every bike I've owned here.

post-174911-0-29879900-1393734105_thumb.

PCX 150. New in November. Average 2.05 l per 100 km since new. Now 3400 km.

Ride it like I stole it.

That's impressive man,

I only get someting like 36-41 km/l on same scooter using gasohol 91.

I caculate: odo reading/liters filled= km/l.

I will try to take the tank content really low next time and then fill up and then see if any better.

Ex Harley Road King 1550cc modified, Carb: 10-14 km/l using benzine 95.

That's impressive man,

I caculate: odo reading/liters filled= km/l.

I will try to take the tank content really low next time and then fill up and then see if any better.

Agreed. I am wondering how guys drive their PCX using soo little petrol when this bike is soo much heavier than Click or Mio. Before I bought my Skydrive, I used

Honda Click 125i 32km/l

Honda PCX 125i 30km/l

Honda PCX 150 27,7 km/l

the bikes came from various scooter rentals, the consumptionw as measured always on my trip from Trat to Had Lek. I am around 100kg and my gf has another 50 kilos. Plus shopping at the Cambo border where I usually buy a box of beer, 2 liter of spirits and some other stuff. So you got a mix of city traffic and a full speed leg.

Finally didnt like the PCX as it doesnt have flat floor.

My Suzuki Skydrive does 43 km/l on Koh Chang roads and 40 km/l on the same road to Had Lek.

Edited by Wod Katitten

One of the first things I do when I buy a new anything is to check consumption, if the vehicle is brand new I give it a few months to bed in. I always do it the same way full to full, twice.

I zero the odometer at the petrol station and fill up and try to remember the fuel level. I run the fuel down as far a possible and fill up, noting the litres and km traveled. I do the same again and fill up, then let it run down as far as possible, then go in and fill to the original level. Note the litres and the total km.

I then have three kpl figures, which should all be roughly the same. T1, T2 and Ttotal. I remember being happy with the Wave at 71kpl (202mpg) I tried to ride normally, but as I am aware of the economy measurement, probably ride more frugally than normal. So I am sure I don't get that figure all the time.

When we did the NV400 we only got 21kpl (60mpg), perhaps slightly less and I am told that is okay, but we were experimenting at the time trying to find a fault, so a lot of stop/start and stall and the occasional thrash.

The Wave certainly is a cheap bike to run and just had a service which cost 300baht and with the new fat rear tyre very comfortable, though a bit small for me.

It is coming up to four years old now originally cost me, 34,000baht, plus 3 or 4 services, I pair of brake shoes, a new rear tyre and 18,000km @180+ mpg.

Edited by AllanB

That's impressive man,

I used gasahol 95 - Shell since new.

Rode easy first 500 km. Then rode it like I will ride it for the rest of the engines life after. Zoom away from red lights, 90 - 100 km on Ring Road. Don't baby it at all.

I see so Honda did a good job with the new SH engine, it is more efficient then the PCX 150 cc engine. New small cars can also do 20-30 km a litre or maybe even better these days so it is about time the motorcycles also get more efficient.

20 years ago i had a friend who built his motorcycle on LPG for fun. If i was a tuktuk-driver i would buy an SH 150i engine and build it under my tuktuk on lpg. Then he can be cheaper then any taxi with a Toyota Altis. The SH-engine allready has watercooling so it must be simple to build it on LPG.

Anyway thanks for all the info, when i can drive 60 km on a litre i will let you know. I will try it on the highway this week and drive constant 80-90 to see how much it uses.

I see so Honda did a good job with the new SH engine, it is more efficient then the PCX 150 cc engine. New small cars can also do 20-30 km a litre or maybe even better these days so it is about time the motorcycles also get more efficient.

20 years ago i had a friend who built his motorcycle on LPG for fun. If i was a tuktuk-driver i would buy an SH 150i engine and build it under my tuktuk on lpg. Then he can be cheaper then any taxi with a Toyota Altis. The SH-engine allready has watercooling so it must be simple to build it on LPG.

Anyway thanks for all the info, when i can drive 60 km on a litre i will let you know. I will try it on the highway this week and drive constant 80-90 to see how much it uses.

Aren't tuk-tuks powered by two stroke engines, they certainly sound that way, if so your SH150 wouldn't have enough power to pull 4 fat farangs about and with LPG you loose about 15%. .....Although gearing is very low.

It is strange too that a tuk tuk is much cheaper to buy and cheaper to run than a taxi, yet fares are higher.......and both run on LPG.

It is strange too that a tuk tuk is much cheaper to buy and cheaper to run than a taxi, yet fares are higher.......and both run on LPG.

cheesy.gifclap2.gif Elementary my dear Watson. Taxis are metered, Tuk Tuk are by negotiationwhistling.gif , they know how much it costs you don't. Unless you have done the same route before in a metered taxi.

Motocy taxis are also generally the same or more expensive than taxis, but quicker and sometimes more convenient.

I keep a spread sheet. After every fill up I record kilometers, fuel type (E20 mostly) liters and price- both total and price per liter.

I record the data on my smart phone notes, then enter it in to the spread sheet later.

CBR250RAB, 2012, 33.7 Km/L over 3008 Kms driven in mountains, highway and city.

The smart phone app sounds good, I need to look in to that :)

Had been on a Visa run to Had Lek yesterday. I went with my gf on my Skydrive, my friend took his Yamaha Mio 125i and another buddy a rental Honda Click (well mentained with 3.080 km on the odo).

We went to and back Had Lek the same (full) speed, filled up at the same Petrol station in Trat before and after the trip. As Skydrive and Mio have smaller tanks we had to refill in Khlong Yai twice, the Honda once only.

Same speed, same route, same time. Only 80kg more load to carry on the Suzuki (gf + shopping). Result: Honda Click took 70 THB more petrol than Yamaha and Suzuki. The difference between Suzuki and Yamaha was just 4 THB in favour for Skydrive.

I lift my hat to all Honda drivers reporting a low consumption.

Edited by Wod Katitten

The smart phone app sounds good, I need to look in to that :)

I use an android app called fuel calculator by tom bernard anyz. Download from the Play store.

Not married to it but it works OK this last 3 years.

Nice to do at the pump, then forget about it. Keeps running calc.

• Like 1

I use quite a bit of fuel 1 liter to 20 or a bit less km. But would i change my bike on basis of fuel. No way I bought a bike with some power why not enjoy it. Paying a baht per kilometer more or 2 baht and not riding a scooter is definately worth it.

• Like 1