Email programs - what do you use and recommend ?

CharlieH

I guessed the op was concerned about security of leaving his email on services like Gmail and Yahoo! I would be too. I have lost tons of emails off of Yahoo servers and would never rely on them.

Nobody should ever use email as a file server, although many of us do which is why Google has gone to great lengths to archive and replicate as much of their user data as possible. I never consider email data a critical information store, and if something important does get sent to me, I wouldn't leave it in my inbox; I'd save it locally and to the cloud (on a document or spread sheet).

When I think of security, I think of intrusion and unauthorized access. When talking about losing emails, I'd prefer the word 'reliability' or something similar. I've heard about the data losses that Yahoo has suffered from. In my opinion that's inexcusable and they should have been driven out of business because of that.

IT best practice says that data should never be deleted - it should be archived or hidden in some way. This is the database admin's lot in life: how to make sure that data never gets deleted. Of course, files can become corrupted and data lost through storage failures, but this is not limited to cloud based services. In fact I'd wager that professional services like Gmail or Hotmail are less likely to suffer from accidental data loss than a local hard disc drive in your PC. Google has twelve data centers around the globe, although I'm not sure if all their customer data is mirrored in each one. But certainly it is in many of them.

A good thread which has prompted me to at least find a backup solution for my current total reliance on Gmail, Google contacts and calendar. If I lost them I'd be in trouble. It's one thing to rely on syncs but if the bad data or empty database is sync'd to your mobile or whatever you're still in deep doodoo. Luckily Google recently released upgrades to enable those of us reliant on them to export our data for an alternative solution so I intend to do exactly that on a reasonably regular basis and find a solution should I ever need to use a different app for mail, contacts and calender. Hopefully something simple, compatible with Android and PC and with a small footprint. Anyone got any ideas?

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

When syncing to gmail, like with a new device, of course that device does not have any of your gmail info. One might think it might cause your cloud based gmail info (call that the master database of info/email/contacts/etc) to be deleted but that's not the way it happens. I takes a "delete" command to delete any particular info on your gmail cloud based info....a delete command like you deleting a contact or email in one of your devices...then that info is deleted in the cloud and when syncing occurs it deletes it from all your devices.

Thanks Pib,

I'm not thinking of normal deletes. What I meant was any malicious or accidental problem with either Google themselves or a hacker attack on my PC or on Googles servers themselves which would make my previously sync'd Google data useless on my PC or mobile devices as well ss the server/s.

Better to have a fallback completely away from Google & the Google databases/tables stored on all my devices.

attrayant, on 23 Feb 2014 - 16:25, said:

I'm not really sure what the OP is asking for - a new mail provider or a new client (a program that can fetch, send and view email from any provider).

I'd like to know what the specific concerns are with Gmail. I've been using it for a long time because of the seamless integration with all of their other cloud services. And now that Google Drive puts a folder in your local file system, you don't even need to open a browser any more (unless you want the web view of a document). It's as close to a single sign-on environment as you can get. If you're worried about security, use a strong password, turn on your Google Account Activity Report and enable two-step verification.

not really happy with all the info etc in someone else's storage.

Unless you own your own email servers, your information will always be on somebody else's storage. If you can be more clear about exactly what your concerns are, we can offer more helpful advice.

He did say he tried Incredimail. which is an email client... so one assumes he means email clients.

A good thread which has prompted me to at least find a backup solution for my current total reliance on Gmail, Google contacts and calendar. If I lost them I'd be in trouble. It's one thing to rely on syncs but if the bad data or empty database is sync'd to your mobile or whatever you're still in deep doodoo. Luckily Google recently released upgrades to enable those of us reliant on them to export our data for an alternative solution so I intend to do exactly that on a reasonably regular basis and find a solution should I ever need to use a different app for mail, contacts and calender. Hopefully something simple, compatible with Android and PC and with a small footprint. Anyone got any ideas?

When syncing to gmail, like with a new device, of course that device does not have any of your gmail info. One might think it might cause your cloud based gmail info (call that the master database of info/email/contacts/etc) to be deleted but that's not the way it happens. I takes a "delete" command to delete any particular info on your gmail cloud based info....a delete command like you deleting a contact or email in one of your devices...then that info is deleted in the cloud and when syncing occurs it deletes it from all your devices.

Thanks Pib,

I'm not thinking of normal deletes. What I meant was any malicious or accidental problem with either Google themselves or a hacker attack on my PC or on Googles servers themselves which would make my previously sync'd Google data useless on my PC or mobile devices as well ss the server/s.

Better to have a fallback completely away from Google & the Google databases/tables stored on all my devices.

Yeap, and that's another reason I use Outlook for my interface with Gmail. My emails/contacts are stored locally in Outlook also.

• Like 1

My first e-mail in 1995 was excite.com, later I got yahoo, hotmail and gmail just because were more popular....Trough the years hotmail and gmail got complicated and I am using excite.com again and still my favorite. Probably you do not know it...but Excite was the model when the yahoo young people were starting with the project in 1997...

If you want an email program, then I'm another who votes for Thunderbird.

But for most people, Web mail of some kind (gmail, hotmail, Outlook, etc) is better as the company will manage their backups and if you lose your device, you don't lose your mail.

Edited by jackflash

What is the point of Thundetbird if Mozilla are not going to support it in the future.

As I mentioned before, they are freezing feature development but continuing security and stability support on it. Part of the TB team were transferred to other Mozilla areas but a dedicated bunch are staying on. Actually continuing to add features sometimes is not a good thing and I'm happy with the features it has as long as it continues to be secure and stable.

• Like 1

Thanks Pib,

Yeap, and that's another reason I use Outlook for my interface with Gmail. My emails/contacts are stored locally in Outlook also.

Thanks again Pib,

With Microsoft being a major I guess Outlook would be a good option as a backup. I understand about syncing of Gmail and the (G)calendar to Outlook but does the Gmail (G)contact database also "seamlessly" sync with Outlook. By that I mean every time I create, update or delete a contact in Google it is replicated in my Outlook db when Outlook next syncs?

If it does then my only last question is possibly a difficult one?

If we lost Google due to an extended outage for whatever reason is there an Outlook client available for Android? This is not a biggy for me and maybe I am asking too much of Microsoft with that one but if I'm travelling at the time with my Android devices....?

avander, on 23 Feb 2014 - 14:24, said:avander, on 23 Feb 2014 - 14:24, said:

Try eM client on your PC...then it's simple to backup your mail. "File""Backup""Yes"... backup done. Well, after a minute or more, depending on how many emails are to be backed up.

Hi Rorri,

Had a quick look at eM Client and it looks pretty good bu tthe free version does limimt your support and also to 2 mail accounts. My alternative is Outlook as I have free access if I want to use it and have used it before. I'm now wondering what the advantage is with eM Client?

avander, on 23 Feb 2014 - 22:36, said:
Rorri, on 23 Feb 2014 - 15:55, said:
avander, on 23 Feb 2014 - 14:24, said:avander, on 23 Feb 2014 - 14:24, said:avander, on 23 Feb 2014 - 14:24, said:

Try eM client on your PC...then it's simple to backup your mail. "File""Backup""Yes"... backup done. Well, after a minute or more, depending on how many emails are to be backed up.

Hi Rorri,

Had a quick look at eM Client and it looks pretty good bu tthe free version does limimt your support and also to 2 mail accounts. My alternative is Outlook as I have free access if I want to use it and have used it before. I'm now wondering what the advantage is with eM Client?

True about the free version, but to purchase it is cheap approx. US$50 compared with Outlook approx. US$100( average, price varies), I am trying to move away from Microsoft products, except the OS, as Microsoft seems hell bent on tying their products too closely with the OS also if you have an earlier version of say MS Office and you want a newer version of say outlook, you HAVE to upgrade all MS Office... which to me sux.

avander, on 23 Feb 2014 - 22:36, said:

Rorri, on 23 Feb 2014 - 15:55, said:

avander, on 23 Feb 2014 - 14:24, said:avander, on 23 Feb 2014 - 14:24, said:avander, on 23 Feb 2014 - 14:24, said:

Hi Rorri,

True about the free version, but to purchase it is cheap approx. US$50 compared with Outlook approx. US$100( average, price varies), I am trying to move away from Microsoft products, except the OS, as Microsoft seems hell bent on tying their products too closely with the OS also if you have an earlier version of say MS Office and you want a newer version of say outlook, you HAVE to upgrade all MS Office... which to me sux.

Say, How do I quote only your last response Rorri?

I agree with the upgrade costs but that's a long time off (I hope!) and the version of Outlook I have is legal, and recent so should be good for quite a while yet.

Those things aside though, eM Client would need to be far and above Outlook in terms of features and it's footprint (app size and use of disk) would also need to be pretty small compared to Outlook for me to consider it.

iamariva1957, on 23 Feb 2014 - 15:37, said:

Op... actually I have no idea what you are on about with regards to Gmail. I have been using it for years and have never had an issue with either hacking or their 'cloud' services. Every email provider has had issues in the past. Some more than others (Yahoo and certainly AOL), but if you want an alternative email account try hotmail perhaps.

Hotmail is now Outlook.

Your right... I forgot that one.

I guessed the op was concerned about security of leaving his email on services like Gmail and Yahoo! I would be too. I have lost tons of emails off of Yahoo servers and would never rely on them.

and if something important does get sent to me, I wouldn't leave it in my inbox; I'd save it locally and to the cloud (on a document or spread sheet).

I've seen some people do that - but using either MS Word or Excel in many cases. Confuses me as these products come with Office which includes Outlook that was designed to archive everything anyway.