The Cheap Charlie experience.

alanrchase

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Zeichen, dont know why you feel the need to " have a go", been married to a hot hearted Thai lady for 20 years."

not sure what that means. I don't know where the quote comes from because it wasn't from my post.

But sorry if you think living with a woman who is Thai outside of Thailand gives you any insight on Thai culture. It is kind of my wife thinking she knows anything about American culture because she is married to one. But go ahead and think that your wife is the voice of her people and everything that you experience with her is the same for all.

Good luck with your stereotypes and limited perspective.

Soutpeel, I have no idea what you are going on about. "Spend the least" are you starting a new thread?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you wish to research this the topic of Cheap charlies....use the TV search function, many many threads done over the years

You stated that you have been coming here for 25 years. Why not just state the total amount of time that you actually lived here consecutively.

Yes, it was an assumption but if you have been married and have been coming here that implies that you have lived abroad and I assumed that your wife would live with you, but perhaps you lived abroad and she lived here which doesn't add to your credentials of knowing anything about Thai culture.

Yes, I made assumptions but perhaps if you read your ignorant OP, you might realize that you narrow minded perspective and use of a very vulgar Thai word that is never used in polite company shows your perspective as a tourist and not one of someone who actually lives here.

But go ahead and live in your bliss of ignorance.

These people that you see and hear saying cheap charlie, I assume don't go out tipping when they eat out do they?

Zeichen, thank you for your views, but yet again more assumtions. If you want to know ask, I have no problem. I thanj you for your perspective on the subject and wish you all the happiness that life can bring.

I think these labels are loaded.

When I was a yuppie and raking in the dough I spent liberally.

Now I have no choice but to watch the baht because if I didn't there would be no baht.

Does that make a cheap person or a sensible person who is smart enough to live within their means?

Yes there are extremes of frugal behavior but there are also extremes of decadent spending behavior as well.

Jing, for me everyone to their own, its their money, but I think where this crosses the line certainly in the TV context, is the said "Cheap Charlies" start preaching and being all judgmental, ie if someone is spending more money than said "cheap charlies" they start being called people fools, sexpat's, alcoholics and these are the reasons people are spending "too much" money and then get all upset when people start slagging them off....

but I must say the "who can spend the least" threads are very amusing, "cheap charlies" pitting their wits against others over who can spend the least and going to great length's publishing their detailed monthly budgets trying to prove if someone is spending more than THB 20k/m the person concerned is not at one with their Thainess and is a sexpat alcoholic...funny stuff..

Money is always relative. To some people going out for a night and spending 10k on drinks is a total waste. Others its a normal. But not everyone makes or has the same amount. Some people get that and don't give a rats arse who spends what. Others want to make fun and say too cheap or weekend millionaire. So again when it comes to the end of the day is it not their money to do as they see fit?

• Like 1

Scotty, get the point, to me it seems there is an assumption of wealth and the spending should reflect the assumption. Had a chat with my son (23) a while back and his thoghts were why die rich. I get his drift but as I tried to explain to him how will you ever be able to buy anything that costs more thhan what you get paid? Perhaps I live a strange place in Thailand, (not a lot of westerners) but I hear the kii neow a lot and not always to do with me.

On the subject of tips; I suppose it depends where you live, where I am in a small town no one expects tips.

When I buy something, whether it be a meal or anything else, I pay the asking price and everyone is happy.

People here don't try to overcharge me or get more out of me and why shouldn't they just because I am not Thai, I am a customer to them the same as anyone else.

I don't see that this tips business is a Thai thing but has been brought be people from their own countries and hay if some farang wants to give their money away why shouldn't Thai's take it.

People here are even embarrassed if they get more than they should for something, 2 examples :

The fella across the soi goes out and buys almost anything, sorts it and sells it to the recyclers, I give him out empty bottles and cardboard and he always wants to pay me but I tell him to take them for it would only be a few Baht, he has given me a couple of swivel chairs which I have repaired, sitting on one now, works for both of us.

The other was just this morning when I stopped and bought a bunch of bananas from an old lady, she said 15 B and I gave her a 20 note, She searched around and couldn't find change and wanted to give me another bunch as well in place of the 5 B.

I told her it was OK 20 was a fair price, she still wanted to give me the others but I am on my own at couldn't eat them, so a lot of smiles and Kop Jai, the Issan version of Kop Khun.

Only time I have ever been asked for money was by 2 school kids who came along (should have been in school) when I was fishing in the river, told them if they wanted money they should work for it.

Robby nz, I am talking general life but I know what you mean. My sister and her husband from America came to visit and questioned tipping. They were going to be very generous which I am ok with but I pointed out that the tip may be more than they paid per day and (I know it seems strange) may embarrass them.

Thais use it amongst each other mainly, it's the equivalent of "tight arse".

They use it more often than Westerners would though, as the concept of saving money doesn't exist in Thailand and a lot of Thais just don't get why one would have money but choose not to spend it.

They use it more often than Westerners would though, as the concept of saving money doesn't exist in Thailand and a lot of Thais just don't get why one would have money but choose not to spend it.

The saving for a rainy day concept exists everywhere.

With the Thais what you are seeing is a false pride/insecurity that manifests as a 'not caring' attitude. Or, lack of brains and education on how to invest or produce something that would yield benefits over time. Like a farm tool that would pay for itself eventually, but costs more initially to purchase. (For example, just using an outdated tool which makes things harder as time goes on and eventually leads to other problems).

Probably mostly lack of brains, or just so many accumulated problems that it's just pissed away on booze at the end of the day.

It has nothing to do with Thais' IQs. Actually the concept of saving for a rainy day doesn't exist here, I remember reading an interesting article that suggested it was indeed due to the weather. The absence of Wintertime means they never had to learn to store for harsher times.

The phrase is direct from Vietnam-era R&R sex industry, and Thais that use it are their descendants if not literally then figuratively.

Most of the Thai population, even those few that speak decent English will not have heard of it, I certainly didn't growing up in New York until I got here.

And yes, it is specifically used by people trying to squeeze more out of you. Your partner would never use it against you wrt your not spending enough on other people for example, unless it was so little she was ashamed to be with you, in which case you probably are being too mean.

I've got a Brit friend who's very well off, but he'll argue with the taxi driver for the last few baht of change on a fare that's hundreds of baht, and buys beers at 7-11 to walk around with and then try to sit in the bars without ordering. To me might as well not engage in entertainment or other optional activities if you're that worried about a few baht.

But my whole food budget for a household of 6-7 ATM is under B200 per day. And it's nutritious, no one goes hungry. But when the girls want to go out to 7 and buy sweets I make them spend their own money, since that's not just wasteful and spendthrift but actually bad for them. And they've always got the opportunity to earn more spending money if they like, just that they have an expectation of getting it for nothing just for making big puppy-dog eyes and whining in a way they think is cute. . .

• Like 1

The saving for a rainy day concept exists everywhere.

With the Thais what you are seeing is a false pride/insecurity that manifests as a 'not caring' attitude. Or, lack of brains and education on how to invest or produce something that would yield benefits over time. Like a farm tool that would pay for itself eventually, but costs more initially to purchase. (For example, just using an outdated tool which makes things harder as time goes on and eventually leads to other problems).

Probably mostly lack of brains, or just so many accumulated problems that it's just pissed away on booze at the end of the day.

It has nothing to do with Thais' IQs. Actually the concept of saving for a rainy day doesn't exist here, I remember reading an interesting article that suggested it was indeed due to the weather. The absence of Wintertime means they never had to learn to store for harsher times.

They use the story of the Ant and the Grasshopper to teach the kids about hard work and plan for future, but I guess it did not translate into the children's adult life. It is just that they know they can always count on their children to take care of them, so saving money is not as important.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1