webfact

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Political unrest bears no effects on retail shops

BANGKOK, 24 Feb 2014 (NNT) - According to the Development of Thai Capital Retailers Association, the ongoing political unrest has no bearings on the local retailer sector.

President of the Association Suwit Kingkaew made the comment, explaining that most of the retailers are located outside the capital, the main rally site, while the items they offer are everyday essentials; thus, their revenues remain steady.

Mr. Suwit said that the sector is more susceptible to consumer’s behaviors, and global economic performance.

He said that the number of retail shop operators is growing every year. At present the nation has a total of 600,000 shops, a jump of 3% year-on-year. Mr. Suwit said a retail shop’s strong point is its close proximity to communities, and has been eyed by producers of consumer goods as an attractive outlet with thorough access to local people.

xnntlogo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.5C6sHNTwTn.jpg
-- NNT 2014-02-24

Well, if customers of Big C and noodles stands are continually being subjected to bombings and their children being killed because police are nowhere to be seen, this will quickly change.

Way to go suthep the body count is going up. It appears that you might just pass the 2010 total. Good luck. I just wonder when will the Thai people wake and see that suthep ONLY cares about suthep and no on else.

Ehhhh??? So YOU are holding Suthep responsible for all these deaths??? Also you say Suthep ONLY cares about himself, so what about Yinluck??? Go and ask a Thai person right now, in fact I done it for you, my office is full of Thai's, and you want to know what they said..............

Can't write anymore about your post, as I will get banned from the moderators.......

CHILDREN have died, wake up!!!

Most Thais I speak with are fed up with this bullshit from both sides. They are the smart ones.

The court has hog tied the police and made them void all they are allowed to do now is sit back and watch.

In most civilised countries the police are a separate organisation where neither the government or the courts have power over them and control of them.

What you've posted is simply not true.

1. There's nothing in the Thai civil court orders that prevents the police or other parts of the government for checking for weapons or explosives of people approaching the various protest sites, i.e., perimeter checkpoints.

2. In most civilized countries, police are ALWAYS subject to court orders regarding their conduct. Police are charged with enforcing the law. Courts interpret what the laws mean and how they're to be enforced.

• Like 2

Avoid the protest sites, don't linger. Yes, they are, most of them, in tourist areas. Life is not worth that much in Thailand or indeed in many parts of Asia.

I was around the Silom-Sala Daeng stations the other night and many tourists were among the crowd taking pics. Bad move.

The court has hog tied the police and made them void all they are allowed to do now is sit back and watch.

In most civilised countries the police are a separate organisation where neither the government or the courts have power over them and control of them.

I thought is was the function of the courts to interpret laws, decide guilt or innocence, and appropriate punishment.

Yes that is their function. The Government makes the laws, Police enforce those laws and prosecutes offenders and the courts judge possible breaches of the laws. All separate identities

But if the courts find that the police are doing there job illegally they can step in and stop these activities. The Miranda rule I believe is one such law,

Do you really understand the Miranda Rule / Rights.

""In Bangkok, we are keeping a close eye on every protest site to provide safety for the people, although the court does not allow us to do anything," he said."

"The anti-government movement seized on Saturday's drive-by attack in Trat as an example of authorities failing to protect rally-goers."

Maybe the police are unable to adequately protect the public from random acts of violence, and it may be unrealistic to expect total security without the full cooperation of the army.

But the Royal Thai Police does seem to have a thoroughly lamentable record in detection and prosecution of the attackers in so many cases. A national and international disgrace.

Basically the courts have santioned anarchy.

The police can do nothing to stop the violence now.

You are giving the police a pass on doing there jobs, as the explosions happened away from the protest sight why were they not patrolling this area. The courts didn't tell the police to stop preforming there basic function of protecting the public just there were a few things they could not do to intimidate the protesters.

The explosion did not happen away from the protest site but INSIDE the site where the police are persona non grata. Furthermore, it seems that the grenade was launched from quite a distance away with a grenade launcher and even if the police were on the spot, they would not have been able to prevent it.

I wonder who gave the orders for these attacks. Was it just a couple of extremists acting on there own misguided initiative or were orders issued from high command overseas. I think we all know he is capable of it.

"High Command Overseas"... you are wrong again ..... please stop writing comments that denigrate the intelligence of the Thai People.

Thai people are not stupid. Thailand has never been invaded by another country and certainly would not follow instructions given from your fantasy "high command overseas"

Correct, not "high command overseas", a scum-bag fugitive convicted criminal is much closer to the mark.

• Like 2

This situation has now escalated into what many had feared it would become. The people of this country are now finding themselves the random victims of terrorist attacks. There is no question the whole dynamic has changed. A shopping centre has been targeted and two infants from two regions of the country are dead. These are crimes against humanity by any definition. The attack in Trat contained an unimaginable scenario - a market was the spontaneous object of grenade and bullet attack. No discrimination was used in spraying these bullets into the crowd. They contained innocent Thai men and women and children. As these dynamics and tactics are new, it seems that a new force is afoot - one that is dangerously armed, and also completely void of conscience. I dare say an appeal for a new emergency decree will be granted, but if this horrible, horrible administration uses such powers - not to deter these attacks - but instead to clamp down on the protest movement, and if at the same time the attacks continue - it will be something that the whole nation and world will notice and condemn.

Edited by Scamper
  • Like 1

I thought is was the function of the courts to interpret laws, decide guilt or innocence, and appropriate punishment.

For a self proclaimed former officer of the law, our chook does have a strange take on how the police work anywhere.

Anyway, Suthep's numbers are seriously down and some people in his disparate (desperate?) band of right-wing loonies may have watched how quickly things turned in Ukraine after the blatant sniper activity against totally unarmed anti-government protesters in Maidan just a few days ago. I seriously doubt that anyone but the most rabid and blinkered anti-Thaksin will see these violent acts as being directed from the 'high command' in Dubai or wherever he hangs his hat.

Edited by NanLaew

""In Bangkok, we are keeping a close eye on every protest site to provide safety for the people, although the court does not allow us to do anything," he said."

"The anti-government movement seized on Saturday's drive-by attack in Trat as an example of authorities failing to protect rally-goers."

Maybe the police are unable to adequately protect the public from random acts of violence, and it may be unrealistic to expect total security without the full cooperation of the army.

But the Royal Thai Police does seem to have a thoroughly lamentable record in detection and prosecution of the attackers in so many cases. A national and international disgrace.

Basically the courts have santioned anarchy.

The police can do nothing to stop the violence now.

Absolutely not. The court was talking about peaceful protesters. If I remember the Court has not even touched terrorist red army extremist .... terrorists is the correct word ?

Unbelievable. I lived in Los Angeles through two civil uprisings. In 1992, after the Rodney King verdict (white cops vindicated for a savage beating of a civilian) Los Angeles was set alight and looting prevailed throughout thee South Central area. Civilians were pulled from their cars and beaten senseless. The LAPD was overwhelmed.

That's when the governor called out the military with orders to use deadly force to restore order. Once the military appeared, the rioters quickly vanished. The damage to property and business was over 33 billion baht.

Something is terribly wrong in Thailand when the authorities put their political loyalties ahead of the safety of Thai citizens. As an outsider, one thing stands out in bold relief. If the Thai police and military don't stop the nightly speeches haranguing and inciting people to revolt, then expect the unintended consequences of letting the situation to spin out of control. Oh, and here's is a hint: the nation does not need a coup d'etat to restore order - just marshal law (like the rest of the civilized world).

P.S. It seems so simple; even as a child I learned that voting was an inalienable right. You can not deny people the right to vote.

• Like 1

In most civilised countries this government and most of its members would be in jail including the "Dear Leader".

• Like 2

In most civilised countries this government and most of its members would be in jail including the "Dear Leader".

I noticed once again that the caretaker government and its puppet leader has not condemned ANY attack on the protesters.

Yingluck managed to attend the funeral rites of the policeman who died and good for her to do so.

Now Madame PM will you visit the families of the other 4 victims?

Edited by billd766
  • Like 1

Yes that is their function. The Government makes the laws, Police enforce those laws and prosecutes offenders and the courts judge possible breaches of the laws. All separate identities

The government usually OBEYS the laws too.

This lot don't.

• Like 1

So things are getting uglier then. It is escalating as anyone with a brain said it would over 2 months ago. Both sides don't deliver any substance apart from trying to blame each other for the mayhem. Suthep making jokes and threats about sending popcorn shooters and a red shirt gathering where people cheer upon hearing about death and injuries. People on Valentine's day getting attacked for wearing red clothing for the occasion. PDRC supporters with their kids attacked at a noodle stand. It all makes me sick to my stomach. The social media and forums are alive with Thai people (and some farangs) sharing and spreading propaganda and half facts to justify their side of the story whilst people including children are dying on a weekly basis. They don't realize that they are part of the problem, and they are not aware they only contribute to its escalation rather than to a solution.

Someone has to do what should have happened a long time ago; take charge. Either the government cleans up the streets or the army moves in for a coup. Unless the attitudes of people change - and what hope in hell do we have really - this will only go downhill from here.

If the govt cleans up the streets, do you think the protesters are simply going to go home and accept another Thaksin-clone regime?

And if there is another coup, do you think the red-shirts will quielty go away, also? While it worked in 2006, it won't work again.

There is no short-term solution.

The people's attitudes will certainly change, but it won't be uniform and in the same direction. And it may take a long time.

The only solution that will work now is a compromise from both sides in forming some form of interim govt. that has a task of reform that works for both sides.

I'm not holding my breath. Things will almost certainly go downhill from here.

No one needs to 'go home' or 'go away' as you put it. I fully support the democratic right to protest, from whatever side it comes from. Just stay out of government property, don't block the roads and don't resort to violence. Someone simply needs to draw a line: this is OK and that is not. You cross the line, you will be dealt with. This is how countless other countries successfully function in times of unrest. But this is Thailand of course...

Really? Did that happen in the Ukraine, Syria, Egypt, Somalia and half the countries in Africa?

I watched a report on BBC world last night and even the usual anti protester biased Jonathan Head (case) admited that fingers were being pointed at the militant wing of the Red Shirts for responsibility .

Edited by deckard

I watched a report on BBC world last night and even the usual anti protester biased Jonathan Head (case) admited that fingers were being pointed at the militant wing of the Red Shirts for responsibility .

Perhaps on that occasion he was able to manage his delivery without multiple flutrerings of his eyelids and looking down at the floor. Jonathan would never pass a polygraph test.

Suthep is on a huge Ego trip, he thinks he's god.And the flock around him are ....how can we put it .When the people of the north east blindly follow the Shinawatras they are deemed "uneducated" and "sheep like mentality" .We can only define the present lot in similar words.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Reading a few of these post just makes me sad. For example, the courts did not take away the police's power. They took away Chalerm's power to order the police from removing the protester with force. If the police claim to not be able to work with the on going protest, they should just take a leave and not be paid. Doing thing is condoning these incidents. As for the prime minister, its nice that she had some good things to say about the victims, reguardless of the fact that these incidents were done in her name. Then you have government officials at red shirt protest rallies saying things about personal defense with fire arms and the time is nearing to act. What kind of government is in charge here. The worst is people complaining of not being able to use the road and how life is so inconvient, farmers are dead because of government policy. The country is in debt because of mass corruption, people are asking for a change. They are demandingba change, an election isn't going to fix the problem, it's just going to sweep things away for a short time. Reform is what they are asking for, a reform with the influence of former politicians. The first step is the remove the old corrupt ways.

• Like 2

I noticed once again that the caretaker government and its puppet leader has not condemned ANY attack on the protesters.

Yingluck managed to attend the funeral rites of the policeman who died and good for her to do so.

Now Madame PM will you visit the families of the other 4 victims?

"Now Madame PM will you visit the families of the other 4 victims?"

Even if she wanted to, it would not be wise to venture into what has to be considered as enemy territory. Suthep has made so many threats against her that some madman might just take it upon himself to carry out his (Suthep's) threat. The most that she can do is to condemn the attacks which she has already done.

window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());

The trouble is that the courts and whole judicial system in this country are hopelessly biased.

What other country would permit an indicted murderer, who whilst failing to appear in court to answer those murder charges, was indicted for insurrection and is at least partly responsible for the current mayhem, to walk scot free, whilst insisting that his political opponent appear in court to answer a charge that she didn't administer a rice support scheme very well!

Colossal double standards.

• Like 2

Hey Chook,are you calling Oz uncivilized.