Grenade kills two in Bangkok as fears mount over political violence

webfact

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unbelievable. I lived in Los Angeles through two civil uprisings. In 1992, after the Rodney King verdict (white cops vindicated for a savage beating of a civilian) Los Angeles was set alight and looting prevailed throughout thee South Central area. Civilians were pulled from their cars and beaten senseless. The LAPD was overwhelmed.

That's when the governor called out the military with orders to use deadly force to restore order. Once the military appeared, the rioters quickly vanished. The damage to property and business was over 33 billion baht.

Something is terribly wrong in Thailand when the authorities put their political loyalties ahead of the safety of Thai citizens. As an outsider, one thing stands out in bold relief. If the Thai police and military don't stop the nightly speeches haranguing and inciting people to revolt, then expect the unintended consequences of letting the situation to spin out of control. Oh, and here's is a hint: the nation does not need a coup d'etat to restore order - just marshal law (like the rest of the civilized world).

P.S. It seems so simple; even as a child I learned that voting was an inalienable right. You can not deny people the right to vote.

When did you arrive to Thailand? Seemingly you know nothing about background. What your next station will be ???

In most civilised countries this government and most of its members would be in jail including the "Dear Leader".

I noticed once again that the caretaker government and its puppet leader has not condemned ANY attack on the protesters.

Yingluck managed to attend the funeral rites of the policeman who died and good for her to do so.

Now Madame PM will you visit the families of the other 4 victims?

"Now Madame PM will you visit the families of the other 4 victims?"

Even if she wanted to, it would not be wise to venture into what has to be considered as enemy territory. Suthep has made so many threats against her that some madman might just take it upon himself to carry out his (Suthep's) threat. The most that she can do is to condemn the attacks which she has already done.

Do you want to say that the innocent victims are consequences of Suthep threats? Were you here in 2010, when a madman ordered fire to Bangkok? Do you really think, that peaceful protesters are terrorists including the kids naturally, and not those red idiots rushing with guns and bombs? Why Shopping Minister is in silent together with police? Do you think that protesting is an integral fundamental of human rights ?

The court has hog tied the police and made them void all they are allowed to do now is sit back and watch.

In most civilised countries the police are a separate organisation where neither the government or the courts have power over them and control of them.

I thought is was the function of the courts to interpret laws, decide guilt or innocence, and appropriate punishment.

Yes that is their function. The Government makes the laws, Police enforce those laws and prosecutes offenders and the courts judge possible breaches of the laws. All separate identities

But if the courts find that the police are doing there job illegally they can step in and stop these activities. The Miranda rule I believe is one such law,

Ernesto Miranda's 1966 case is not comparable to the Protest in Bangkok in any way!

The Miranda rule enforces Mr Miranda's constitutional rights not to be a witness against himself, under the 5th amendment to the US constitution, simply states that a defendant must be given a warning at the time of his arrest, that any statement he gives can be used against him in a court of law!

If the statement is not read to him and documented, then any evidence received is thrown out of court and can not be used against him. He can still be proven guilty beyond a shadow of the doubt or a confession that documents he was read his rights. Nothing more nothing less.

Another difference the Miranda vs the State of Arizona went thought the complete US court system before it was decided by the US Supreme Court, a process that took years of legal rulings vs the Thai Constitutional court decision given in a matter of days, if not a matter of hours!

Big difference in the quality of an important legal ruling ,that becomes part of the Law of the land!

Cheers

In most civilised countries this government and most of its members would be in jail including the "Dear Leader".

I noticed once again that the caretaker government and its puppet leader has not condemned ANY attack on the protesters.

Yingluck managed to attend the funeral rites of the policeman who died and good for her to do so.

Even if she wanted to, it would not be wise to venture into what has to be considered as enemy territory. Suthep has made so many threats against her that some madman might just take it upon himself to carry out his (Suthep's) threat. The most that she can do is to condemn the attacks which she has already done.

Do you want to say that the innocent victims are consequences of Suthep threats? Were you here in 2010, when a madman ordered fire to Bangkok? Do you really think, that peaceful protesters are terrorists including the kids naturally, and not those red idiots rushing with guns and bombs? Why Shopping Minister is in silent together with police? Do you think that protesting is an integral fundamental of human rights ?

Anyone that can read English can understand the meaning of his statement, It is not safe for the Prime Minister to venture into areas controlled by Sutheps supporter, not safe in the sense of life and limb!

For the same reason the Bangkok police can not enter "peaceful" protest sites because of fear of losing their lives!

I do agree with one thing you stated was that a "Madman" ordered the violence in 2010 that madman is your dear leader Suthep, that is why there still is an outstanding "murder" change pending for his hateful decisions that took almost a hundred lives!

Cheers

window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());

The court has hog tied the police and made them void all they are allowed to do now is sit back and watch.

In most civilised countries the police are a separate organisation where neither the government or the courts have power over them and control of them.

I thought is was the function of the courts to interpret laws, decide guilt or innocence, and appropriate punishment.

The trouble is that the courts and whole judicial system in this country are hopelessly biased.

What other country would permit an indicted murderer, who whilst failing to appear in court to answer those murder charges, was indicted for insurrection and is at least partly responsible for the current mayhem, to walk scot free, whilst insisting that his political opponent appear in court to answer a charge that she didn't administer a rice support scheme very well!

Colossal double standards.

Hypocrisy.

The court's are only deemed biased when they actually curtail lawlessness by the government and are nothing like as biased as the BIB.

The greatest double standard is having a criminal fugitive run a government, have his passport hand delivered by his cousin, have many of the PTP politicians and senior police fly out to get his blessing wherever he is and then saying that what Suthep is doing is non-democratic. Not to mention that those charged with murder were doing their job in 2010 while the fugitive who created the mayhem is deemed 'too far away' by the complicit AG's office.

I still find it amazing that this governments sticks to the worn out line of 'we wuz elected democratically' - how can a government being run by an UNELECTED convicted fugitive residing in another country be deemed democratic. How many people cast their votes for Thaksin Shinawatra in the previous election? Don't bother retorting with but..but..Yingluck runs the country as we all know that she couldn't run a fish and chip shop if she tried (KFC if you are American) and she is just their mascot!!

Thaksin thought he was clever when he made Yingluck chairperson of the rice scam committee and defence minister but this has come back to haunt her big timeclap2.gif- have fun in court (if you bother going) this week Yingluck!!

The trouble is that the courts and whole judicial system in this country are hopelessly biased.

What other country would permit an indicted murderer, who whilst failing to appear in court to answer those murder charges, was indicted for insurrection and is at least partly responsible for the current mayhem, to walk scot free, whilst insisting that his political opponent appear in court to answer a charge that she didn't administer a rice support scheme very well!

Nice one "she didn't administer a rice support scheme very well" - that's like saying "Jack the Ripper wasn't much of a serial killer"!!! Honestly, that must be the understatement of the year.

actually the trouble is that the courts are refusing to do exactly what the ptp are telling them to do, they are being fully independant. The charges against suthep were set up by the ptp/tarit under thaksins orders so they would accept the amnesty bill but they refused to accept it as it is a total set up and they will be cleared by the courts. This pisses of the ptp/reds/their appologists, they want their own version of the law accepted and will not acknowledge the real law, you simply cannot face up to the fact that the courts are right and the ptp wrong, in other words, if you dont get what you want you will spit the dummy.

• Like 2

Yes, I was here in 2010. You on the other hand, merely joined TV on 21 Jan 2014 so I assume that you are new to Thailand? Or were a banned member?

In any case, your reply is so off topic to what I wrote than I can't be bothered to address your points.

Anyone that can read English can understand the meaning of his statement, It is not safe for the Prime Minister to venture into areas controlled by Sutheps supporter, not safe in the sense of life and limb!

For the same reason the Bangkok police can not enter "peaceful" protest sites because of fear of losing their lives!

I do agree with one thing you stated was that a "Madman" ordered the violence in 2010 that madman is your dear leader Suthep, that is why there still is an outstanding "murder" change pending for his hateful decisions that took almost a hundred lives!

Cheers

All the innocent deaths going on, and you have the nerve to come on and steer in to: suthep this and suthep that, and change the subject to preposterous charges of murder perpetrated against him for the political gain of PTP to have no opponents, thus a dictatorship.

Why not address how PTP and red shirts can motivate their supporters not to inflict violence against peaceful demonstrators who oppose fiefdom of oligarchies???????!

Cheers

You don't know what you're writing about. Yingluck went to the policeman's funeral in Rayong, both a red & yellow area. Her sympathies, like yours, only lie with police fatalities - protestor & accidental citizen victims are seemingly of less value. Sick

No one is asking the police to enter protest sites as they have tried (armed) infiltration and are rightly suspect. Normal citizens would, however, expect the police to make an effort to prevent attacks which occur from outside the rallies. Indeed one can wonder why no attackers have been arrested. It's not hard to work out.

Suthep has been charged by Tarit from Thaksin in an effort to get him & Abhisit to agree to the amnesty bill - the source of the current protests. The ultimate instigator of the violence - started by riots and MIB - is the fugitive who has never hesitated to use ordinary Thais as cannon-fodder in his 'war on drugs', Tak Bai, Krue Se and 2010 in an attempt to get his illegally-acquired money back. The complicit AG's office absolved him with a ridiculous excuse.

• Like 1

I think Big C AND Cetnral Wolrd would be as good as empty for the next few days... whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

Take a look at the photo.

I don't support violence, and I do not want to discuss about the killings.

But I think this store is illegal, as it is on the ROAD (on even on the pavements).

I think it is actually a BUS LANE as well.

Who ever is collecting rent (or the mafia call it protection money), have to provide protection security.

post-200079-0-49517900-1393235568_thumb.

To whom it may concerns,

If someone post ittelligent comments hopefully with a source, I will respond!

To many clue less posters stating opinions, I would could not possibly consider, post with a source, intelligent questions ,no problems, those not worth my time will receive no response!

Cheers

So things are getting uglier then. It is escalating as anyone with a brain said it would over 2 months ago. Both sides don't deliver any substance apart from trying to blame each other for the mayhem. Suthep making jokes and threats about sending popcorn shooters and a red shirt gathering where people cheer upon hearing about death and injuries. People on Valentine's day getting attacked for wearing red clothing for the occasion. PDRC supporters with their kids attacked at a noodle stand. It all makes me sick to my stomach. The social media and forums are alive with Thai people (and some farangs) sharing and spreading propaganda and half facts to justify their side of the story whilst people including children are dying on a weekly basis. They don't realize that they are part of the problem, and they are not aware they only contribute to its escalation rather than to a solution.

Someone has to do what should have happened a long time ago; take charge. Either the government cleans up the streets or the army moves in for a coup. Unless the attitudes of people change - and what hope in hell do we have really - this will only go downhill from here.

If the govt cleans up the streets, do you think the protesters are simply going to go home and accept another Thaksin-clone regime?

And if there is another coup, do you think the red-shirts will quielty go away, also? While it worked in 2006, it won't work again.

There is no short-term solution.

The people's attitudes will certainly change, but it won't be uniform and in the same direction. And it may take a long time.

The only solution that will work now is a compromise from both sides in forming some form of interim govt. that has a task of reform that works for both sides.

I'm not holding my breath. Things will almost certainly go downhill from here.

No one needs to 'go home' or 'go away' as you put it. I fully support the democratic right to protest, from whatever side it comes from. Just stay out of government property, don't block the roads and don't resort to violence. Someone simply needs to draw a line: this is OK and that is not. You cross the line, you will be dealt with. This is how countless other countries successfully function in times of unrest. But this is Thailand of course...

Really? Did that happen in the Ukraine, Syria, Egypt, Somalia and half the countries in Africa?

unfortunately the countries you mention are not and have not been functional for years... So your point is mute IMO.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

To whom it may concerns,

To many clue less posters stating opinions, I would could not possibly consider, post with a source, intelligent questions ,no problems, those not worth my time will receive no response!

Cheers

laugh.pngwink.png

""In Bangkok, we are keeping a close eye on every protest site to provide safety for the people, although the court does not allow us to do anything," he said."

"The anti-government movement seized on Saturday's drive-by attack in Trat as an example of authorities failing to protect rally-goers."

Maybe the police are unable to adequately protect the public from random acts of violence, and it may be unrealistic to expect total security without the full cooperation of the army.

But the Royal Thai Police does seem to have a thoroughly lamentable record in detection and prosecution of the attackers in so many cases. A national and international disgrace.

In most civilised countries the police are not at the behest of a fugitive on the run!!

Thaksin is actually ordering the police about - now that is disgraceful and an affront from a so called elected government!!

Show the evidence then. You seriously believe the average joe policeman likes what is going on? Some people need to wake up from their deep sleep. The Ammart courts have stripped them of all power and people still want to blame them. Until Thailand joins the rest of the world and its governments start TRYING to serve the people and only the people the cycle repeats itself over and over as we have seen. Time Thailand copies a western democracy, decentralises power of the courts over the police for example and real rule of law is put in place, then we may see a different nation. Don't hold your breath in the meantime....

Cheers

You don't know what you're writing about. Yingluck went to the policeman's funeral in Rayong, both a red & yellow area. Her sympathies, like yours, only lie with police fatalities - protestor & accidental citizen victims are seemingly of less value. Sick

No one is asking the police to enter protest sites as they have tried (armed) infiltration and are rightly suspect. Normal citizens would, however, expect the police to make an effort to prevent attacks which occur from outside the rallies. Indeed one can wonder why no attackers have been arrested. It's not hard to work out.

Suthep has been charged by Tarit from Thaksin in an effort to get him & Abhisit to agree to the amnesty bill - the source of the current protests. The ultimate instigator of the violence - started by riots and MIB - is the fugitive who has never hesitated to use ordinary Thais as cannon-fodder in his 'war on drugs', Tak Bai, Krue Se and 2010 in an attempt to get his illegally-acquired money back. The complicit AG's office absolved him with a ridiculous excuse.

Does Barrack Obama attend the funerals of the innocent tens of thousands?

One unreasonable statement and 11 likeswhistling.gif

In What civilized country the government and the court do not have power over the police and control them???

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tag/nypd-racial-profiling recent court case controling police in a civilized country.

the court are always asked to rule against the constitutionality of police actions all the time.in many, if not all civilized countries.

Don't see anything in the court orders that prevents normal policing.

Someone is just using it as an excuse to do nothing.

It is after all supposed to be the job of the police to protect the public regardless of who they are.

The court ordered that the police are not allowed to use force (this was the very same day the poor policemen had his leg blown off when attempting to kick a grenade away). The police are powerless to do theirjob as they do not have the tools avaliable to them even for self defence. These guys in the police get a ridiculously low wage - the ones that have to do the actual policing I mean - if your son was a policeman on 8k a month would you encourage him to try to stop lunatics with machine guns and grenade launchers with no support rfom the courts, no support from the public? Amazing how when the police were trying to do their job they were accused of intimidation, now people are complaining they're not do their job. Wost of all it will get worse because manaics from both sides know they don't have to worry about police intervention while they carry on their slaughter.

They did have three months before the court decision to use force and they didn't even try to do anything until (coincidentally) the last day. I'm not saying that's bad, it has certainly minimised casualties at least from official government forces.

The police certainly don't get a lot of public support, but there are very good reasons for that, amongst which are their consistent failure to keep order at any of the previous protests from either side and the daily shaking down of motorists and traders for tea money. People breathe a sigh of relief when the army turn up!

I fully agree that the plight of the average officer is pretty bad, particularly for anyone trying to do an honest job. The whole thing needs to be put through the cleaners, but for that to happen the government is going have to be put through the cleaners first.

Just wait till the other group of nutters start occupying Bangkok. And the farmers.

To whom it may concerns,

Cheers

I'll leave the sources out then if it will get rid of you. It's amusing that you denounce the Nation and Bangkok Post, but copy scraps from them when you think they will support your twisted arguments.

But why are you reading those Mouthpieces of Fascism? Are you sure your loyalties are in order? Report to the Political Officer of your Red Village for counseling.

• Like 2

I think Big C AND Cetnral Wolrd would be as good as empty for the next few days... whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

Take a look at the photo.

I don't support violence, and I do not want to discuss about the killings.

But I think this store is illegal, as it is on the ROAD (on even on the pavements).

I think it is actually a BUS LANE as well.

Who ever is collecting rent (or the mafia call it protection money), have to provide protection security.

attachicon.gifBigC.jpg

oh don't worry I'm sure Suthep is collecting his rent... Wonder if his promised donations will materialise? Or is he currently buying some more rubber plantations in the south... Go figure...

To whom it may concerns,

Cheers

I'll leave the sources out then if it will get rid of you. It's amusing that you denounce the Nation and Bangkok Post, but copy scraps from them when you think they will support your twisted arguments.

But why are you reading those Mouthpieces of Fascism? Are you sure your loyalties are in order? Report to the Political Officer of your Red Village for counseling.

Because I have a RIGHT to read whatever I please, Sometimes I listen to Fox news, it neither fair or balanced,

Hey Crushy, why should I care what you do, , But you could do, with some intellectual awakening , your mind is a sad thing to waste, read a book without pictures.

Cheers

""In Bangkok, we are keeping a close eye on every protest site to provide safety for the people, although the court does not allow us to do anything," he said."

"The anti-government movement seized on Saturday's drive-by attack in Trat as an example of authorities failing to protect rally-goers."

Maybe the police are unable to adequately protect the public from random acts of violence, and it may be unrealistic to expect total security without the full cooperation of the army.

But the Royal Thai Police does seem to have a thoroughly lamentable record in detection and prosecution of the attackers in so many cases. A national and international disgrace.

In most civilised countries the police are not at the behest of a fugitive on the run!!

Thaksin is actually ordering the police about - now that is disgraceful and an affront from a so called elected government!!

Show the evidence then. You seriously believe the average joe policeman likes what is going on? Some people need to wake up from their deep sleep. The Ammart courts have stripped them of all power and people still want to blame them. Until Thailand joins the rest of the world and its governments start TRYING to serve the people and only the people the cycle repeats itself over and over as we have seen. Time Thailand copies a western democracy, decentralises power of the courts over the police for example and real rule of law is put in place, then we may see a different nation. Don't hold your breath in the meantime....

I think that you must have given an answer to the wrong post!!

I think that you must have given an answer to the wrong post!!

Well I guess it is an answer to someone's post that makes sense to me personally ;(

In What civilized country the government and the court do not have power over the police and control them???

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tag/nypd-racial-profiling recent court case controling police in a civilized country.

the court are always asked to rule against the constitutionality of police actions all the time.in many, if not all civilized countries.

As a member of the Victoria Police in Melbourne, Australia the Government does not tell the police how to do their job nor do the police wait or ask for instructions from the Government. The courts do not tell the police how to do their job nor do the courts get involved in the running of the police. When the government passes legislation it builds in police powers to enforce that legislation. The police already have permission to enact those laws until that legislations is repealed. The police can use what ever force is necessary to obtain the objective as long as they can justify it in court if need be that it was not excessive.

If the Victorian government tried to tell the police how to operate they would be told to bugger off and mind their own business same goes for the courts. The reason they are separate is it reduces corruption, nepotism and maintains a higher level of ethical standards. It eliminates everyone from judges, politicians and down to the street sweeper from being above the law. Everyone is on a level playing surface when it comes to the police. Courts are different.

Yes the Government provides the budget and they have an Emergency Services Minister who is the go between man/contact in the Government for the Police. Ambulance, Fire, SES, RFB, RAS, Fisheries and many more.

The Government doesn't even appoint the Chief Commissioner of Police it is an independent panel. The Emergency Services Minister may sit on that panel but he has another 5 independents alongside of him.

Edited by chooka
  • Like 1

As a member of the Victoria Police in Melbourne, Australia the Government does not tell the police how to do their job nor do the police wait or ask for instructions from the Government. The courts do not tell the police how to do their job nor do the courts get involved in the running of the police. When the government passes legislation it builds in police powers to enforce that legislation. The police already have permission to enact those laws until that legislations is repealed. The police can use what ever force is necessary to obtain the objective as long as they can justify it in court if need be that it was not excessive.

If the Victorian government tried to tell the police how to operate they would be told to bugger off and mind their own business same goes for the courts. The reason they are separate is it reduces corruption, nepotism and maintains a higher level of ethical standards. It eliminates everyone from judges, politicians and down to the street sweeper from being above the law. Everyone is on a level playing surface when it comes to the police. Courts are different.

Yes the Government provides the budget and they have an Emergency Services Minister who is the go between man/contact in the Government for the Police. Ambulance, Fire, SES, RFB, RAS, Fisheries and many more.

The Government doesn't even appoint the Chief Commissioner of Police it is an independent panel. The Emergency Services Minister may sit on that panel but he has another 5 independents alongside of him.

Doesn't' the government in Australia provide any oversight to make sure the police does not overstate their Authority?