No plans for separation, UDD leader Weng stresses

webfact

No plans for separation, UDD leader stresses
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Weng Tojirakarn, a leader of the United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship and a former Pheu Thai MP, on Wednesday rebutted the claim made by the anti-government People's Democratic Reform Committee secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban, that the red shirts had a plan for national separation.

"There is no setting up of an armed force and we don't want to split the country. The UDD needs to fight politically, not militarily," he said.

He added that caretaker Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan's statement at the red shirts' meeting that referred to 10 million guns owned by Thais was a warning against the use of violence in preventing a military coup but did not threaten any group.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-26

mrtoad, on 26 Feb 2014 - 14:41, said:mrtoad, on 26 Feb 2014 - 14:41, said:

So far we've had Surapong and Weng making statements today, but nothing from Chalerm rolleyes.gif Maybe he's deep undercover

Time for Sunisa to do a book titled "Chalerm, where are you?"

He is sulking now.

He's being told off, too many times.

Edited by Costas2008

"There is no setting up of an armed force and we don't want to split the country. The UDD needs to fight politically, not militarily," he said.

They already have their armed force, and they don't have a political party. I think he's mixed up "politically" and "militarily".

• Like 1

He added that caretaker Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan's statement at the red shirts' meeting that referred to 10 million guns owned by Thais was a warning against the use of violence in preventing a military coup but did not threaten any group.

Red logic. The Interior Minister suggestion that all people voting for PT should carry a gun is a symbol for being against violence....

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 1

Perhaps Weng should consult with his wife, Thida. And while he's at it, all the various voices within the UDD that have said exactly the same thing. One well remembers the surreal Dr. Weng during Rachaprason in 2010, where he put out the incredulous spin that Thaksin hadn't anything to do with the UDD movement. That statement was more than a little gutsy, as Thaksin was being transmitted through video practically daily, greeting UDD followers who had his picture on their hats.

• Like 1

UDD Leader: Redshirts Do Not Seek Secession
By Khaosod English

13933998321393400324l.jpg
Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra visits her supporters in Chiang Rai, one of major strongholds of the Redshirts, 26 February 2014

BANGKOK: -- Core member of the Redshirts leadership has denied allegations that pro-Redshirts provinces are gearing up to secede from Thailand.

"We have no armed forces. We don′t want to secede or break the country apart in anyway," said Mr. Weng Tojirakarn, co-founder of the United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD).

He added, "The UDD wants to fight politically, not militarily".

Mr. Weng also denied reports that the government is planning to relocate its seat of powers to the northern city of Chiang Mai. "We support the system of democratic regime with the King as Head of State," Mr. Weng stressed.

Frustrated by what they view as a conspiracy by the Bangkok elite and the establishments to support the ongoing anti-government protests, many Redshirts openly advocate the idea of separating Thailand into two nations along the lines of political affiliation.

Northern and northeastern regions of Thailand, along with some provinces and pockets of districts in the central region, are famously dominated by supporters of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, the influential brother of the current PM, Ms. Yingluck Shinawatra.

Most of Bangkok and the southern regions are widely seen as solid base of campaigns against Ms. Yingluck and her political clan.

The speculation that the ongoing conflicts may lead an all-out civil war has been extensively reported in a number of foreign media agencies, while the leader of the anti-government protests denounced the alleged attempts by the Redshirts to secede from Thailand.

Mr. Suthep Thaugsuban, secretary-general of the People′s Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State (PCAD), said on Tuesday that he would not let the Redshirts "trample" rule of laws and tear asunder the sovereign nation of Thailand.

He also accused Minister of Interior Affairs Jarupong Ruengsuwan of hinting at the Redshirts′ willingness to fight a separatist campaign; Mr. Jarupong had previously announced at a UDD rally that Thailand has more than "10 million guns" which could be used by the Thais to defend themselves from tyranny.

However, Mr. Weng, the UDD leader, explained that Mr. Jarupong was merely reciting a statistic as an official who oversees registration of firearms in Thailand.

"He was merely warning the people not to use violence. He was also warning [the military] not to launch a coup," Mr. Weng said, "It was not a threat to any side".

The UDD activist also charged that it is in fact Mr. Suthep′s protests that are driving Thailand toward a civil war. "The government wants democracy, but Mr. Suthep wants to see violence and conflicts".

Furthermore, the Election Commission (EC) would be faulted should the civil indeed break out, Mr. Weng said, as the EC has repeatedly displayed its reluctance to conclude the general election.

Thailand has lacked a functioning government since Ms. Yingluck dissolved the House in December 2013, and the PCAD has derailed the general election previously held on 2 February.

The EC has not yet announced the date for any by-election.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNU16TTVPVGd6TWc9PQ==

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-02-26

Red logic. The Interior Minister suggestion that all people voting for PT should carry a gun is a symbol for being against violence....

Weng is just trying to open a Thai chapter of the American National Rifle Association (NRA).

The number of registered gun ownership or even illegal guns has not dramaticaly changed since the last coup so why cite it?

And why have so called leaders stated setting up the current government in Chiang Mai?

Idle threats? Maybe, but points of concearn for those effected or for those responsible for the Country's Security.

They need to get their agenda and "talking points' in order to be taken seriousely and not seen as just making idle comments and threats.

To continu on this path is a dangerous road alienating both thier own support and prompting others to come to a conclusion to defend against such unsupported comments.

'no plans for separation'

Well, some posters here will be mightily annoyed about that. I've just had at least two wishing for it rolleyes.gif

Hey, it's not so bad. Usually when a politician denies rumors that something is going to happen in their party it is usually followed in a few days by NEWS that it actually has happened. I cannot believe that all the folk who voted for Poo & her lot are so heartless that the display on the stage 3 days ago in Korat can have gone over everyone's heads. They cannot all be heartless parents!

• Like 1

Weng is just trying to open a Thai chapter of the American National Rifle Association (NRA).

That is way more than a bit unkind to the NRA. (No, I'm not a member.)

• Like 2

I am not well aware about Thai law.

1st, 10 millions guns owned by Thais. Does this 10 million Thais are allow to hold weapons?

2nd, 10 million guns own by Thais to counter a military coup. Is this allowed?

They said it's to counter a military coup but did not threaten any group. But hearing there are 10 MILLION GUNS,

i believe any group will feel badly threatened after this militant group declare to have millions guns.

The atmosphere is like "DO as we say or we will attack you (again like in 2010)"

It wouldn't serve well for the UDD to have a separation of the North and the South.

1. The majority of the tax money comes through Bangkok thus starving the potential north government of funds.
  2. North Thailand would be land locked, thus no access to ports ensuring a reliance on neighbours for import / exports.
  3. UDD would have no one to blame WHEN things go belly up.

I could imagine the judicial system in the north. You are innocent, not based on facts, but based on your adherence to the regime.

I could imagine the parliament. 350 seats. 350 filled by PTP. The remaining 2 contenders rest were intimidated and had their houses burnt down.

I could imagine the senate. 80 thaksin relatives, drivers, maids, shoe cleaners.

I could imagine all independent organizations. If you support the PTP you can remain independent. If you deviate from that path. You are no longer independent and will be brought down.

I could imagine a public hearing into future schemes. Plodprasop turns to thaksin. "What do you reckon?" thaksin says "All good as long as I get 30%" Public hearing complete.

I could imagine all the supporters of the UDD crossing the border after 6 months to come and live in a democratic strong hold of the south.

I've lived in the north for more than a decade now, my wife all her life. If this part of Thailand were to become the Democratic Republic of Whatever with President Thaksin ruling from the renamed capital, Shin Mai, then we would give serious thought to a move. Of course it might work out but more likely it would resemble a cross between Cambodia and Laos... that's to say a landlocked fiefdom ruled by a 'fief'. smile.png

• Like 1

He is lying! We all know that the Reds control some areas in the North and Northeast with previously a lot of sympathy of their residents but now in intimitating their residents with the help of violent and armed groups. There is nothing like a majority for the reds in the North and the Northeast anymore (at least in most places). If they call for seperation they must have the majority of the people behind them but they do not!

I am not well aware about Thai law.

1st, 10 millions guns owned by Thais. Does this 10 million Thais are allow to hold weapons?

2nd, 10 million guns own by Thais to counter a military coup. Is this allowed?

They said it's to counter a military coup but did not threaten any group. But hearing there are 10 MILLION GUNS,

i believe any group will feel badly threatened after this militant group declare to have millions guns.

The atmosphere is like "DO as we say or we will attack you (again like in 2010)"

10 million? I hope there's not a War on Guns then. sad.png

Just more drivel coming out Suthep's mouth. Why does anyone even listen. coffee1.gif

The OP doesn't even mention Suthep ? wink.png

This drivel is coming from a top UDD-leader & PTP-MP, whose wife has been leading the UDD, for the past few years.

He's denying what other Red-leaders have been saying, about moving the capital up North to Chiang Mai, or protecting the caretaker-PM & fighting the army off.

He;s drivelling because he understands the consequences, of the military believing his movement is serious, about these things.

The problem with a multi-headed political hydra is, many heads are speaking with differing degrees of central-control, and its been showing more and more recently ! facepalm.gif