How should I feel?

jackvale

I need advice.

Been living in Thailand 10 years. About to hit rock bottom financially. No idea how to remedy the situation. I've already received help from family. Losing hope and the desire to do anything about it.

I have known some people here between 1-6 years. I asked all for a small loan to cover rent/food. All declined.

In your opinion, are these people my friends? Would you continue talking with people who don't help in your time of need (although they comfortably boast how much money they have)? What does it say about our friendship?

Serious replies please. Thank you.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear you have come to this situation. I don't think you should hold your friends responsible for your well-being. Friendship is not same as financial support..

That's my opinion

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I disagree. You know the expression "through thick and thin?" My mark of a real friend is when they are there not only in the good times. Bear in mind, I'm asking some people who have very good income/savings. One recently inherited millions of dollars. They share with me their highs and lows yet when I come to them with my low, the door is shut. Should I even consider these people friends and continue seeing them? What does it say about our friendship? I've never asked any friend for money before. It's not like this is a habit. "Nobody knows you when you're down and out."

Is this a troll post?

Shouldn't you now be concentrating on what you will eat next week,month or year ?

That's why I asked for the loan. I need to pay my rent and eat. Can't believe my friends wouldn't help a few hundred dollars. They make that every day.

Is this a troll post?

Shouldn't you now be concentrating on what you will eat next week,month or year ?

That's why I asked for the loan. I need to pay my rent and eat. Can't believe my friends wouldn't help a few hundred dollars. They make that every day.

So if you get money for rent and food for one month... what about the month after that ?

Edit... Oh so it's a loan. eh?

You said in your post that you're near rock bottom!

So what's the problem?

You can sleep on the beach or in the park. Eat out the trash. You'll survive and when you get funds then everything will be okay, right ?

Edited by RandomSand

Is this a troll post?

So if you get money for rent and food for one month... what about the month after that ?

I need money to hire people in North America to help me try to make money online. I've sent out dozens of emails today asking business people to partner with me but no replies yet. With my current savings, I cannot hire anyone outright.

I've known my best friend for 30 years. Would I loan him money because he can't afford to pay the rent? Hell No! He's financially irresponsible...period. Yes he gets a steady pension. But he lives beyond his means. Now, if something happened because of an accident or unforeseen disaster...that would be different story.

Sounds like either after 10 years your business took a dive and you failed to recognize it or even have a safety plan for back up or you too, are simply irresponsible enough to know when to bail. But then again, I know nothing about your situation other than you seem upset no one around you would loan you money. Need to look "inward" before you look outward. Try a bank.

Thank you for the reply and advice. I hear what you're saying but at the end of the day, if someone cannot pay their rent and feed themselves, friends should turn their back and say "hell no?"

Tbh it sounds like they said no because it would just be delaying the inevitable.

If you want cash in a week you can write for peanuts on places like Text Broker and iWriter. Complete jobs and they'll put money into Paypal every week. Live someone cheap and eat cheap while you do it.

Then slowly start building yourself up.

If you work online then going home doesn't mean much anyway. You can just think of it as a small delay until you can build up your business and come back.

• Like 1

I've known my best friend for 30 years. Would I loan him money because he can't afford to pay the rent? Hell No! He's financially irresponsible...period. Yes he gets a steady pension. But he lives beyond his means. Now, if something happened because of an accident or unforeseen disaster...that would be different story.

Sounds like either after 10 years your business took a dive and you failed to recognize it or even have a safety plan for back up or you too, are simply irresponsible enough to know when to bail. But then again, I know nothing about your situation other than you seem upset no one around you would loan you money. Need to look "inward" before you look outward. Try a bank.

Thank you for the reply and advice. I hear what you're saying but at the end of the day, if someone cannot pay their rent and feed themselves, friends should turn their back and say "hell no?"

Take it like this. In that situation a real friend would help. But also a real friend would never ask. Like I said, go home get a different job with a monthly income. Work on your business on the side. Then make a business plan to move back to Thailand.

Is this a troll post?

I see you have been here long enough to pick up the feeling of "yours should be mine if I want it" Instead of trying to panhandle from other people, get off your arse and look for and go to work.

The term 'friend' is bandied around a lot, probably way more than the friends that people actually have, Your comments does seem to confirm your defination of friends, may not match the thoughts of those you refer to.

Hate to be a little harsh, but the OP must have known that his savings were dwindling for some time, you don't wake up one morning with a Blinding Flash on the Road to Damascus moment, 'OMG, I have no money'revelation. So the question for the 'friends' would be, what's the likelihood this is a loan, a gift, or simply throwing money down the drain. At this stage of the game, without a plan in place to get income from somewhere, I would suspect that the 'friends' see this more as a 'money down the drain' option.

As the tried and trusted adage says...Don't lend what you cant afford to lose