How should I feel?

jackvale

In Thailand, it is rare for people to pay back money they borrow.

With no employment, plan, or prospects, I am sure they don't think you would / could repay a loan either.

Would you lend money to someone like you?

I do have a plan but it's business so there's no certainty but I used to be rich doing this line of work (online sales) and my friends were always with me when the chips were high. They know my situation and things could be better without having to run back to my country. I cannot afford a plane ticket anyway. I cannot pay my rent or food soon. My friends can help but don't want. If I was in their shoes, I would help a friend. We have a lot of history and that's credit in my eyes. I'm imagining myself in their shoes. Help put food in a friend's mouth? I would never even hesitate and pontificate. They know what I've accomplished and were quite happy to be there for many years when I was spending with them. As soon as my situation changes, who are you?

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting...

What kind of visa are you here on that you don't have money for food or rent or a flight back home

,..... but have enough to qualify for a visa?

Education visa as I'm under 50 years of age. I just paid school which tapped out my last 30,000 baht.

Sorry to hear you have come to this situation. I don't think you should hold your friends responsible for your well-being. Friendship is not same as financial support..

That's my opinion

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I disagree. You know the expression "through thick and thin?" My mark of a real friend is when they are there not only in the good times. Bear in mind, I'm asking some people who have very good income/savings. One recently inherited millions of dollars. They share with me their highs and lows yet when I come to them with my low, the door is shut. Should I even consider these people friends and continue seeing them? What does it say about our friendship? I've never asked any friend for money before. It's not like this is a habit. "Nobody knows you when you're down and out."

If someone wants to keep a friend, he does not lend money to that friend....

Never lend an amount that you are not ready to give and never expect it back..

Perhaps your friends are not ready to GIVE you any money...

Loans are given out by banks.

If a bank does not feel a loan has a good chance of return with a profit, perhaps your friends feel the same...

In Thailand, it is rare for people to pay back money they borrow.

With no employment, plan, or prospects, I am sure they don't think you would / could repay a loan either.

Would you lend money to someone like you?

I do have a plan but it's business so there's no certainty but I used to be rich doing this line of work (online sales) and my friends were always with me when the chips were high. They know my situation and things could be better without having to run back to my country. I cannot afford a plane ticket anyway. I cannot pay my rent or food soon. My friends can help but don't want. If I was in their shoes, I would help a friend. We have a lot of history and that's credit in my eyes. I'm imagining myself in their shoes. Help put food in a friend's mouth? I would never even hesitate and pontificate. They know what I've accomplished and were quite happy to be there for many years when I was spending with them. As soon as my situation changes, who are you?

Have you asked your friends the reason why they don't want to lend you some money? What were their responses?

How much money are you asking for OP?

Sorry to hear you have come to this situation. I don't think you should hold your friends responsible for your well-being. Friendship is not same as financial support..

That's my opinion

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I disagree. You know the expression "through thick and thin?" My mark of a real friend is when they are there not only in the good times. Bear in mind, I'm asking some people who have very good income/savings. One recently inherited millions of dollars. They share with me their highs and lows yet when I come to them with my low, the door is shut. Should I even consider these people friends and continue seeing them? What does it say about our friendship? I've never asked any friend for money before. It's not like this is a habit. "Nobody knows you when you're down and out."

It doesn't sound like you have much to offer. Your poor planning should not hurt their good planning. Time to hit the road Jack, you have worn out your welcome. And quit counting other peoples money, it's very low class!

You have shown bad friendship values by asking them for money.

I do not say a good friend should not help another out.... but that should be a last resort and reserved for a few very close friends.

You must return the money promptly, and borrow only one-time.

From the OP I can only say you appear to be the problem, expecting others to lend you money and showing little effort towards resolving your issues.

After reading your post, I took stock of whether I would lend to some 'friend' in need, yes I would, but only to 3-4 people I know very well and have confidence in, it would only be the once, until it was returned and I would limit the amount to something I would not miss.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

Do you know the story from Lafontaine "the cricket and the ant"? If somebody spend most of his money on partying, girls and luxury items, i wouldn't lend him a dime. If however he really had bad luck and landed in an unfortunate financial situation I would gladly lend/give him the money.

• Like 2

When i won my large lawsuit. I had a shirt that said "i am not a bank". Boy did i ever wear that sucker out.

Needless to lend and needless to borrow, will only lead to sadness and sorrow!

Easy to say all this when you're on the top but ever been hungry? Again, my reaction and yours obviously differ. If I had a few hundred dollars and my friend was homeless and hungry, I would never lecture or turn my back. I've been very close to these people for a long time. They came to me when they had problems (not financial) and I was there 100%. The door shuts on me for financial and at least one is a multi millionaire by inheritance. OK now I'm venting but I hope I can make this work out on my own before lighting charcoal and saying goodbye. Thanks everyone.

I've known my best friend for 30 years. Would I loan him money because he can't afford to pay the rent? Hell No! He's financially irresponsible...period. Yes he gets a steady pension. But he lives beyond his means. Now, if something happened because of an accident or unforeseen disaster...that would be different story.

Sounds like either after 10 years your business took a dive and you failed to recognize it or even have a safety plan for back up or you too, are simply irresponsible enough to know when to bail. But then again, I know nothing about your situation other than you seem upset no one around you would loan you money. Need to look "inward" before you look outward. Try a bank.

Thank you for the reply and advice. I hear what you're saying but at the end of the day, if someone cannot pay their rent and feed themselves, friends should turn their back and say "hell no?"

No but then again being her is different than being at home.

I think you need to look at getting a real job. There are many schools that are going to be looking for English teachers. If you want tostay here i would go that route. It will provide you with food and the ability o your spare time to see if you have any other opportunities.

If I was your friend and you were broke I would also not be giving you money but direction. The best direction i could give you i9s to go back to your old country and your family to get your life together.

My concern as a friend is if I give you and it is give at this stage money for food and rent what is going to be different next month and the month after that

Is there any reason you can't get a job teaching? The standard 30k a month can tide you over until you get your online stuff going again.

One needs a work permit and the correct documents for the ministry of labor and immigration. This takes time and mine is almost gone.

No disrespect but I wouldn't want a friend like you, friends are not banks and they owe you nothing. Grow up and take care of yourself like a normal adult would.

Your friends seem to be doing it.

Yeah, we have family here that are our long term borrowers and don't need another drain on our dosh.

When i won my large lawsuit. I had a shirt that said "i am not a bank". Boy did i ever wear that sucker out.

Easy to say all this when you're on the top but ever been hungry? Again, my reaction and yours obviously differ. If I had a few hundred dollars and my friend was homeless and hungry, I would never lecture or turn my back. I've been very close to these people for a long time. They came to me when they had problems (not financial) and I was there 100%. The door shuts on me for financial and at least one is a multi millionaire by inheritance. OK now I'm venting but I hope I can make this work out on my own before lighting charcoal and saying goodbye. Thanks everyone.

How are you going to pay for the charcoal?

Seriously, no need to top yourself. Get some help.

Edited by nottocus

Education visa as I'm under 50 years of age. I just paid school which tapped out my last 30,000 baht.

Well that was silly, can live on that for 2-3 months, overstay maxes out at 20K and you don't have to deal with it 'til you're on your way out consider it an airport tax.

Of course it's risky, but thousands do it every year. . .

• Like 1

Dear Jack, you have the attention now from the forum, use it to promote yourself, some of us have their own business. So i would like to see your CV. Do you have workpermit or how do you legally stay in Thailand?

I need 10,000 baht by 3/12 for rent and food. That's all I asked from my friends. I already have the charcoal and metal pan. I have no family in my country so no plane ticket or somewhere to go. I have until the 12th to hopefully get my old business up and drawing income. Wish me luck.

I need 10,000 baht by 3/12 for rent and food. That's all I asked from my friends. I already have the charcoal and metal pan. I have no family in my country so no plane ticket or somewhere to go. I have until the 12th to hopefully get my old business up and drawing income. Wish me luck.

Maybe some kind hearted ThaiVisa members could have a whip-round for you?

Is this a troll post?

Shouldn't you now be concentrating on what you will eat next week,month or year ?

That's why I asked for the loan. I need to pay my rent and eat. Can't believe my friends wouldn't help a few hundred dollars. They make that every day.

My Dear Watson.........I don't believe this is an authentic post.

If the OP has been here in Thailand 10 years he'd be talking baht for food 'n' rent not dollars............

.............<deleted> Holmes that's amazing !!

There seems to be a lot of 'agony aunt' type posts of late ... is there money in it Watson?

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

brewsterbudgen, on 28 Feb 2014 - 09:29, said:
jackvale, on 28 Feb 2014 - 09:19, said:

Maybe some kind hearted ThaiVisa members could have a whip-round for you?

IMHO, a whip is exactly what he needs...................rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

I wouldn't ask in the first place, I'm a very proud person. I wouldn't lend or give money either. When money is owed by a friend and they can't repay then its the borrower that stops talking to lender.

I have worked hard to stand on my own two feet, I expect the same from others. Your lucky to have enjoyed 10 years in Thailand, I never could, but thats my problem.

Thank you. I would lend if I had it. If it helps a friend out temporarily. That's what friends are for.

Of all the people over my adult lifetime I have lent money to, there is only one I can think of who has always paid me back. When you start borrowing money, that's when you lose your friends. As for lending money, that is not what friends are for, it is up to everyone to manage their money and take responsibility for it.

• Like 1