Suthep to unblock Bangkok and return traffic space to Bangkokians Monday

webfact

"We will stop closing Bangkok and give every intersection back to Bangkokians. We will stop closing Bangkok from Monday. I have to apologise business operators for disruptions to their activities and Bangkokians for making more traffic congestion during the Bangkok Shutdown," he said."

No doubt he will be compensating everyone who lost money from the donations that were made to his "war chest"

Erm....

Why would you have to compensate someone for making a donation?

The rallys are continuing, only the intersections are to be reopened.

Their donations have been well invested in the fact that this government is now dead n the water.

Read my post above.

Yet another who will be squealing like a stuck pig in a week or two.

Erm,

Are you a resurrected poster with a new username?

Businessess, big and small in Bangkok have lost millions because of this "shutdown" by Suthep and his Thaugs- that's who should be compensated and if you seriously think the "donations" were used wisely then I guess you have access to info most people don't.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big shutdown failed dismally - as have every street protest campaign by the PAD/PDAC/PDRC and whatever other acronyms the Ruling Elite have used since 2006 in various attempts to bring down the elected government so that they could get their snouts back into the trough.

Now they will let the judiciary mount a coup and get rid of the elected government for the third time.

I take it that this is your first year in Thailand because you clearly don't know how it works here yet.

This protest has been a massive success.

It has forced the PM into fleeing the capital and probably setting her up for fleeing the country soon. It has torn the government apart and put them in caretaker mode with a very soon expiry date.

It has cost the Shins probably well over 100 billion baht and rising daily.

It has raised awareness of corruption and everything that is wrong about politics in Thailand.

It has woken millions of people up across the land to all the badness of politicians and shown them that it doesn't need to happen.

They brought Thaksin down in 2006 and they have brought his sister down in 2014, and you say that is a dismal failure?.... lol

Man.... Something big is about to happen and one massive drama bomb is about to land in someone's lap and Suthep has almost certainly been told about it.

It is possibly a guaranteed coup or a court ruling that will see this government gone for good.

I would in fact call this protest a resounding success.

I looki forward to hearing you bleating and cursing when you are forced to come to terms with the REAL failing of your camp over the coming period.

Hope you can take defeat like a man and stop whining like a stuck pig.

I take it you've never been to Thailand! You're certainly living in Cloud Cuckoo-land if you believe the protests have been a resounding success!

Ditto ,nearly spat out the morning coffee reading that one. Ten posts and telling us how Thailand works too.

I take it that this is your first year in Thailand because you clearly don't know how it works here yet.

It has forced the PM into fleeing the capital and probably setting her up for fleeing the country soon. It has torn the government apart and put them in caretaker mode with a very soon expiry date.

It has raised awareness of corruption and everything that is wrong about politics in Thailand.

It has woken millions of people up across the land to all the badness of politicians and shown them that it doesn't need to happen.

They brought Thaksin down in 2006 and they have brought his sister down in 2014, and you say that is a dismal failure?.... lol

Man.... Something big is about to happen and one massive drama bomb is about to land in someone's lap and Suthep has almost certainly been told about it.

It is possibly a guaranteed coup or a court ruling that will see this government gone for good.

I looki forward to hearing you bleating and cursing when you are forced to come to terms with the REAL failing of your camp over the coming period.

I take it you've never been to Thailand! You're certainly living in Cloud Cuckoo-land if you believe the protests have been a resounding success!

Been here full time for 8 years and have 3 businesses here.

Pay plenty of tax, that this bunch of <deleted> steal.

Please pick anything out of my post that is not accurate and we can debate it like adults instead of one line insults which always seem to come from the vanquished.

They have been a success and they are continuing. Just with traffic flow.

Nothing about my post was insulting. I just disagree that the protests have been "a resounding success". Try telling that to all those who have died because of the protests.

They didn't die as a direct result of the protests, they died as a direct result of the UDD/PTP/Thaksin direct orders to attack the protesters with lethal force. That's why they died.

They have been a resounding success, read my first post on the previous post and there you will find a list of direct results from the protests which have brought this government to its successful death.

Without these protests, Thaksin would now be PM.

If you applied a little logic to the situation you would know that in 3 days time (March 4th) is 30 days after the main elections date (Feb 2nd) where the constitution says there has to be a convening of parliament.

Technically this is actually the time when the constitutional court can step in (depending how they choose to interpret the constitution) and announce dissolution of the caretaker roles. Meaning this government could be out on their <deleted>.

The obvious fallout will be the reds hitting BKK in numbers and this will be suppressed in express fashion by the army who no longer will be having to take orders from the government.

The army will have explained this to Khun Suthep to reopen the roads so the army can effectively gain access to the possible marauding red militant baby killers. Also if all protesters are in one place, they can be guarded easier.

I could be wrong, but if all those army checkpoints remain in place, than I know I am right.

Watch this space.

• Like 1

Been here full time for 8 years and have 3 businesses here.

Pay plenty of tax, that this bunch of <deleted> steal.

Please pick anything out of my post that is not accurate and we can debate it like adults instead of one line insults which always seem to come from the vanquished.

They have been a success and they are continuing. Just with traffic flow.

Nothing about my post was insulting. I just disagree that the protests have been "a resounding success". Try telling that to all those who have died because of the protests.

They didn't die as a direct result of the protests, they died as a direct result of the UDD/PTP/Thaksin direct orders to attack the protesters with lethal force. That's why they died.

They have been a resounding success, read my first post on the previous post and there you will find a list of direct results from the protests which have brought this government to its successful death.

If you applied a little logic to the situation you would know that in 3 days time (March 4th) is 30 days after the main elections date (Feb 2nd) where the constitution says there has to be a convening of parliament.

Technically this is actually the time when the constitutional court can step in (depending how they choose to interpret the constitution) and announce dissolution of the caretaker roles. Meaning this government could be out on their <deleted>.

The obvious fallout will be the reds hitting BKK in numbers and this will be suppressed in express fashion by the army who no longer will be having to take orders from the government.

The army will have explained this to Khun Suthep to reopen the roads so the army can effectively gain access to the possible marauding red militant baby killers. Also if all protesters are in one place, they can be guarded easier.

I could be wrong, but if all those army checkpoints remain in place, than I know I am right.

Watch this space.

OzMick/Nibbles back again? Busholz?

I am sure the purpose of the protest was to kick out the Govt, i wonder how that has been a resounding victory given their one objective has failed!

• Like 1

The big shutdown failed dismally - as have every street protest campaign by the PAD/PDAC/PDRC and whatever other acronyms the Ruling Elite have used since 2006 in various attempts to bring down the elected government so that they could get their snouts back into the trough.

Now they will let the judiciary mount a coup and get rid of the elected government for the third time.

With 9 posts, maybe you need to do a bit more reading Mr. Newbie, before you post. I first came to Thailand 20 years ago, have lived in Thailand full-time for almost 10 years, am married to a Thai, owned a business in Thailand and am now a tax paying employee in Thailand. I'm not saying you aren't entitled to your view, but maybe you'd like to tell us a little about yourself and how you are so much better qualified than me to make your assertions.

LOL "Mine is bigger than yours" arguments...

• Like 2

"We will stop closing Bangkok and give every intersection back to Bangkokians. We will stop closing Bangkok from Monday. I have to apologise business operators for disruptions to their activities and Bangkokians for making more traffic congestion during the Bangkok Shutdown," he said."

No doubt he will be compensating everyone who lost money from the donations that were made to his "war chest"

Erm....

Why would you have to compensate someone for making a donation?

The rallys are continuing, only the intersections are to be reopened.

Their donations have been well invested in the fact that this government is now dead n the water.

Read my post above.

Yet another who will be squealing like a stuck pig in a week or two.

Erm,

Are you a resurrected poster with a new username?

Businessess, big and small in Bangkok have lost millions because of this "shutdown" by Suthep and his Thaugs- that's who should be compensated and if you seriously think the "donations" were used wisely then I guess you have access to info most people don't.

Nibbles is back !!!! Don't worry, he will soon start insulting everyone with a differing opinion to himself and get banned again. Sorry, my wrong, he's started the insults already.

Another example of a Thai project going half-ass then quitting to reassess the plan. Money was all spent on the purchase of more land for the family.

Suthep declares end to PDRC "Bangkok Shutdown"
By Digital Content

13936445327443.jpg

BANGKOK, March 1 -- The anti government protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban on Friday announced an end to "Bangkok Shutdown," by removing stages at the rally sites of Asoke, Silom, Pathumwan, Ratchaprasong intersection, leaving a remaining one at Lumpini Park.

In a surprise move, Mr Suthep, the secretary general of People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) addressed supporters at the Pathumwan rally site that the PDRC would return traffic around Bangkok to the public on Monday.

There would be no more rally sites at Asoke, Silom, Pathumwan, Ratchaprasong, he said, adding that new stage would be set up at Lumpini Park which would run 24 hours of protest.

He said Lumpini Park has facilities for meeting to brainstorm the blueprint for national reform.

The "Bangkok Shutdown" started on January 13 in an attempt to put pressure against caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to resign, opening the way for politcial reform.

Mr Suthep asserted that the PDRC would continue to fight against what the group called the "Thaksin regime."

He said the PDRC would rearrange its plan and would target to seal off government offices and Shinawatra's family business.

The campaign to call on government officials to stop working would continue, he said.

As for the proposed talks with the Ms Yingluck to find solution for the political crisis, Mr Suthep said that the talks should not be closed door discussions but televised nationwide. He reiterated that it would not be a debate and stressed that he has no preconditions for the talks.

Mr Suthep also said that he would not attend talks in front of the United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon as he did not believe anyone would understand the problems better than Thais.

Mr Suthep added that he was not the one who proposed the talks but the caretaker prime minister and he have agreed to the idea. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-03-01

I hope he has enough people left to be able to move all his stuff. They will have to do several trips each.

I am glad to see that he has been beaten at last.

Now we need to finish the elections and move on.

Unfortunately your use of the word 'beaten' highlights the lack of understanding of the need for reconciliation - Beating people doesn't provide reconciliation. It suppresses it.

That is perhaps what you seek suppression of opposition? Yes? Hardly a democracy.

Thailand for all Thais and not those who only vote PTP. The millions of protesters still exist, the grievances still exist and haven't been beaten anymore than Abhisit beat the Reds. You can't beat your own people.

• Like 2

Finally. Frankly the protest numbers had dwindled to the point they were no longer meaningful. I really wish Suthep had ended them a couple of weeks ago. Because the Shins days are numbered. Once the legal process started, the Shins were finished. The protests became unnecessary. Let the legal mechanism shut down YL and the PTP.

are you dreaming??? Why SHIN's day are numbered? Oh I see. You mean up to the day that she is appointed for PM again! Or you don't respect democratic procedures? Maybe you are Russian then?

• Like 1

Finally. Frankly the protest numbers had dwindled to the point they were no longer meaningful. I really wish Suthep had ended them a couple of weeks ago. Because the Shins days are numbered. Once the legal process started, the Shins were finished. The protests became unnecessary. Let the legal mechanism shut down YL and the PTP.

are you dreaming??? Why SHIN's day are numbered? Oh I see. You mean up to the day that she is appointed for PM again! Or you don't respect democratic procedures? Maybe you are Russian then?

I think he is referring to the possible outcome of the NACC various legal probes into Yingluck and her colleagues.

The fact that they have started attacking the process and intimidating those responsible for the investigation, with veiled threats against judges rather that making a robust defense suggests they may be worried that irregularities may come to light. Some, such as the former commerce minister and his deputy, and the red shirt leader and his wife whose company are implicated in forging export documents and fake export deals, may find themselves facing criminal charges. They will look to their masters to save them. If not they may reveal things that could cause a domino effect.

It becomes easier to see how much was riding on the success of the Amnesty Whitewash bill. So many say it was about one man - but in reality so many would have benefited, Now it all looks less certain - no amnesty, corruption probes ongoing, the rice scam falling apart, and the 2.2 trillion pot moving out of their grasp.

More and more new democracies around the world are refusing to put up with corrupt self enriching law breaking regimes who simply lie and line their own pockets.

• Like 2

Watch this space.

So the police officers that died didn't die as a result of the protests? Or don't their deaths count?

I'm not being partisan, I'm just stating a fact that the protests have not been a "resounding success".

The scenario you paint in your post is a very strange description of success, but as you're new to ThaiVisa I guess we can make some allowances.

Suthep "returns traffic space"blink.png gotta love The Nation cheesy.gif

Had this been a red shirt protest we'd have titles of "dwindling numbers", "deserted protest sites", etc. but our buddies of the PDRC well they're just returning traffic space.

• Like 1

I hope he has enough people left to be able to move all his stuff. They will have to do several trips each.

He finally failed in his attempt to bring down the gov't and time to finally turn himself in to the police to answer for the many warrants our for his arrest and the 2910 murder charges. The police should also find it easier to enforce the law by arresting all of the other protest leaders, especially the so-called monk who should be defrocked immediately. It is like a sports team down 14 points in the 4th quarter and no way to catch up. Sorry, but you lose along with your mob.

• Like 1

This could be a sign of one of three things - 1 he has run out of money and the source of it has to be suspect when the first two words of the organisation are People's Democratic (anything but), 2 a coup is coming or 3 the rumour of the government about to up and move to Chiang Mai might be about to come true - sooner rather than later and that will leave Bangkok exactly where - it's not a lot without the government.

This man, take my word for it, is worse than Hitler. Even he won an election. Democratic my butt. If he wants to change the system he has to use the system, sell his message, then make the changes - he refused to use the system and its not unbeatable just ask Wayne Goss who won an election in one of the most gerrymandered states in Australia (he had to get near 80% of the primary vote to win and achieved that then he set about the necessary reforms.

If this guy gets his way he will be appointed god then make it illegal to do what he is doing now and turn the guns on the red shirts. Suthep at the head of any Thai government will spell huge trouble for Thailand. Trade is already dropping off but a lot of that is due to the near end of construction work on the big gas projects in Aussie that Thai companies built modules for. Thailand is insular enough now and the education system needs huge reforms too. This moron will set the nation back 50 years in a swipe. The fact he has not yet been "terminated" astounds me!

• Like 1

Does anyone else think perhaps that the word "game" didn't translate properly?

"We will escalate our shutdown of government ministries and Shinawatra businesses. I do personally hope the game will be over by March," Suthep said.

• Like 1

"We?"

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

With 9 posts, maybe you need to do a bit more reading Mr. Newbie, before you post. I first came to Thailand 20 years ago, have lived in Thailand full-time for almost 10 years, am married to a Thai, owned a business in Thailand and am now a tax paying employee in Thailand. I'm not saying you aren't entitled to your view, but maybe you'd like to tell us a little about yourself and how you are so much better qualified than me to make your assertions.

Great!!! Now we have a new "personal" civil war taking place on ThaiVisa. Just confirms my personal belief that there can never be peaceful dialogue without a war of words going on or actual fighting. Thanks for the validation of my belief.

It's far from over. This is a very good strategic move with both the protestors under almost daily attack and spme businesses losing customers, not to mention traffic blockades and consequent bus route changes.

The protestors haven't lost not have they gained everything they want. They stopped the amnesty bill dead in it's tracks (ensuring no easy return for big T & his cash), caused the PTP to dissolve the farcial parliament, re-awakened Thais to the Shin clan's power, brought corruption into focus, made bigger fools of the CMPO stooges than they were before, highlighted police bias and more recently hit some Shin companies where it hurts - in the pocket.

Not yet achieved is the removal of the Shins and a proper review of the best way to tackle corruption.

On the negative side is of course the deaths of protestors and police. It is not hard to conclude that whoever has been responsible for most of the heavy violence has had a lacklustre police effort to apprehend them.

It also should be mentioned that they partially blocked the election but it seems that friendly red shirts are going to finish the job by intimidating/blocking the EC.

Finally the protestors did nothing to cause the PTP to totally screw up rice pledging payments - despite the lies from Yingluck & co - repeated by quite a few propaganda-using supporters on TV.

• Like 1

Ending the multiple protest sites is sensible because you:

Limit the number of targets and easier to keep secure from grenade launching UDD/government supporters.

Ease the inconvenience on Bangkokians.

Ease the burden on businesses affected.

I'm for ending the protests and letting the NACC and the judiciary do their jobs and for reform of the checks and balances in governance via OECD mechanisms like the Parliamentary Budget Office (PBO), strengthening the Information Act that requires the public to have access to all information of government dealings to insure transparency without having to deal with the lame excuse of "confidential due to national security", and for decentralization of power through federalism, enumeration, or an electoral college so that we can control tyranny by the majority. http://www.garlikov.com/philosophy/majorityrule.htm

Edited by smileydude
  • Like 1

Technically this is actually the time when the constitutional court can step in (depending how they choose to interpret the constitution) and announce dissolution of the caretaker roles. Meaning this government could be out on their &lt;deleted&gt;.

Watch this space.

i think you are right, and i worry that worse is to come at least in the short term.

Suthep de-escalates and moves into a position that is harder to attack, both politically during day time, and with bombs at night.

In my view it is pretty obvious the PT administration is finished one way or the other, very soon, judicially, or through general growing public dissent and awareness or both simultaneously, and it is only a question of time that more details of rice scams will emerge and so on. The video of UDD supporters cheering the "good news" of the killing of innocents will have helped to convince many - irrespective of their own political conviction - which side and attitude cannot be tolerated to be in charge of anything. That genie is truly out of the bottle now - and i think Thaksin knows this. If not already, they will know soon.

If threats of secession and intimidation of people and courts does not work, then a coup might become the only option for Thaksin to try continue clinging to power. It would conveniently allow to "save face", continue claiming international support and spinning local supporters and the western media with his fight "for democracy" and that charges are politically motiviated and so on. If i read the situation right then there will be more shootings and bombs, and that i think is what army and Suthep's group are preparing for with this move.

• Like 1

I had a very interesting chat with a high ranking politico yesterday (father of a friend).

His firm advice was for this Sunday ''stay at home'' and ''avoid Bangkok..!!

Now this news has broken that the ''Bangkok Shutdown'' has been quickly abandoned.....

Coincidence..??