How have retirement Visas in Thailand changed over the last 15 years

Thank-you 55jay, I was "sort of" aware that 'subject to change without notice' was SOP here. And your point is quite valid. I guess I am a little confused about all the in and outs of what it takes to retire here, and since it is still some time away I was hoping I could get a sense of how it all works there, and how it might change. Many people tell me that things are so variable that in some cases officials aren't even up to date (like the whole buzz around how to get a bank account in LoS, or even the grandfathering rules mentioned here.)

@Ubonjoe; I am still a bit unsure of the use of 'seasoning' thats why I asked. Different slang terms etc etc etc.

I'm not as salty (seasoned) as most on here but after living in a number of countries around the world, I would agree with your assessment.

Far as sussing out the retirement requirements, I think you are in good hands here. The general consensus is retirement is fairly straightforward, whereas marriage extension require more documents and time before final disposition. You should have it cracked in no time. Chok Dee.

• Like 1

Far as sussing out the retirement requirements, I think you are in good hands here. The general consensus is retirement is fairly straightforward, whereas marriage extension require more documents and time before final disposition. You should have it cracked in no time. Chok Dee.

^^Kob Khun Krap

Edited by pineconehead

I cannot believe it over ten years without a major change, I mean at least once a month someone posts about the rules changing constantly and that there is no way to tell what will be asked for next.

at least once a day someone posts invented or perceived negative rubbish about the zillion things he does not like about Thailand saai.gif

How have retirement Visas in Thailand changed ...

They started calling them extensions of stay, not visas ... no, wait, the permission to stay in Thailand for another year based on retirement and granted by Immigrations was never called a visa.

THANK YOU!

It took 19 posts to realize there is no such thing as "retirement visa".

if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck then it is quite reasonable to call it a "duck".

based on the same assumption i call my yearly "extension" a "one year retirement visa" and no smartàss hairsplitter will change my mind even if he asks nicely kneeling in front of me.

the same applies to "visa waiver" versus "visa on arrival". when my old auntie visited me a couple of years ago and asked me whether she has to apply for a visa i did not tell her "no worries Auntie, you get a visa waiver stamp on arrival" i simply told her "you get your visa stamp in your passport on arrival".

definition of visa: an official marking or stamp in a passport that allows someone to enter, transit or leave a country.

i will rescind my claim if somebody publishes a stamp in a passport which says "waiver".

by the way, the page in my passport with the "extension" stamp does not say anything about "extension" but bears an additional stamp which says "Retirement", id est using the international definition of "visa" (see above) that page shows a retirement visa.

Your Honour, Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury...

i rest my case... and go fishing.

coffee1.gif

It would seem that even naughty immigration is also not following the Thaivisa spotters guide to terminology.

post-50983-0-87465300-1394083477_thumb.j

Every time I enter Thailand and need to fill out a TM6 arrival card, where immigration are asking for my "Visa No." even though I apparently have a re-entry permit based on extension of stay.

I cannot believe it over ten years without a major change, I mean at least once a month someone posts about the rules changing constantly and that there is no way to tell what will be asked for next.

at least once a day someone posts invented or perceived negative rubbish about the zillion things he does not like about Thailand saai.gif

That's very true Naam, you hit the nail on the head.

In Jomtien if you say to the officer at the front desk, " extension of stay please" you get a blink.png

If you say " retirement visa please " you get a number.

You're absolutely right about that as I've tested it myself.

But that only proves the clerks there lack product knowledge about what they're selling.

It would seem that even naughty immigration is also not following the Thaivisa spotters guide to terminology.

attachicon.gifarrfront1.jpg

Every time I enter Thailand and need to fill out a TM6 arrival card, where immigration are asking for my "Visa No." even though I apparently have a re-entry permit based on extension of stay.

Good catch. Inaccurate form design. Where do I file a complaint? coffee1.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In Jomtien if you say to the officer at the front desk, " extension of stay please" you get a blink.png.pagespeed.ce.AQgCnSOpp_.png alt=blink.png width=20 height=20>

If you say " retirement visa please " you get a number.

You're absolutely right about that as I've tested it myself.

But that only proves the clerks there lack product knowledge about what they're selling.

I renewed my retirement extension a few weeks ago.

When asked what I needed I replied " an extension of stay based on retirement" --------I was understood and there were no difficulties

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

At Jomtien?

Because really I got a totally HUH look when I tried those same words there.

I know nothing about Jomtien !

As you can read, I was responding about the situation at Jomtien ...

For me nothing has changed since I moved to Thailand in 2006. I looked at my old passport to see what my original entry permit said.

It says it is a Non-Immigrant O-A Visa which I got from the Thai Embassy in Los Angeles before I moved here. Every year since then I get a yearly extension on that visa and the stamp which they put in my passport has "retirement" in red letters at the top of the stamp. So I guess my yearly extension to my original O-A visa is based on retirement.

For me nothing has changed since I moved to Thailand in 2006. I looked at my old passport to see what my original entry permit said.

It says it is a Non-Immigrant O-A Visa which I got from the Thai Embassy in Los Angeles before I moved here. Every year since then I get a yearly extension on that visa and the stamp which they put in my passport has "retirement" in red letters at the top of the stamp. So I guess my yearly extension to my original O-A visa is based on retirement.

I have been renewing/extending my NIOA visa annually since 1999. I am puzzzled about the limited info. offered on this forum. Why does it not address such changes as the re cent requirment to have a Thai guarantor's ID card and tambien baan included with the application, ? This year - I have been asked for something new, yet again; not only as before,to present photos of wife and I inside/outside house - but to include our guarantor in the photo. Surely you cannot generalize about what individual Immigration offices want?

I have been renewing/extending my NIOA visa annually since 1999. I am puzzzled about the limited info. offered on this forum. Why does it not address such changes as the re cent requirment to have a Thai guarantor's ID card and tambien baan included with the application, ? This year - I have been asked for something new, yet again; not only as before,to present photos of wife and I inside/outside house - but to include our guarantor in the photo. Surely you cannot generalize about what individual Immigration offices want?

This is the first I have ever heard of a guarantor being asked for their is certainly no requirement for in the rules. What it immigration office is that.

It seems you are getting extensions of stay based upon marriage to a Thai since photos are not required for extensions based on retirement. Some offices do ask for a witness (or 2) for the first extension based upon marriage instead of doing a house visit.

I think he means a witness testifying you are living together as man and wife. And they also want this witniess to appear in one of the required photo's.

Did you extend based on retirement or marriage (with 400,000 in the bank)?

I think he means a witness testifying you are living together as man and wife. And they also want this witniess to appear in one of the required photo's.

We're both farang (Irish/Danish), aged 68 amd 70 respectively. First application for a retirement visa was in Dublin, in 1999.

My extension is based on 800k in my bank.

My wife's extension is based on her piggy-backing on mine - not that we need to go that route, as she has 800k in her bank also.

Immigration Office is in Surathani.

The request for a ''guarantor'' came up 3 years ago.

Year 1: it started with a request for the regular information contained in the regulations,, plus

- a signing copy of a Thai's national's ID card,

- photo of the 2 of us, standing inside the house and also, another of us standing outside the house.

- plus map of location of our home (we own it).

Year 2. same as year 1, plus new item - signed copy of Thai national's Tambien baan

Year 3 (2014) same as year 2, plus new item - rquest to include Thai national in both photos of us.

Also, i am fairly sure that we have been asked to supply studio-type (head shot) photos. We're bringing them tomorrow, just in case!

If some one will refer me to the regulations, lisiting the I will print off a copy and take it with me.

TIA. Pat.

Edited by paddypower

We're both farang (Irish/Danish).

My extension is based on 800k in my bank.

My wife's extension is based on her piggy-backing on mine - not that we need to go that route, as she has 800k in her bank also.

Immigration Office is in Surathani.

The requirements they are imposing are highly unusual for an extension based on being your dependent. I have never read of such at thing being asked for.anywhere else. Your marriage certificate is all that is required according to reports I have seen.

Normally they do require some show of residence and in this case seem to be using the marriage to a Thai criteria of many offices. Suspect this is a local request. Have you normally offered a lease agreement or no request for any proof of residence? Since the breakup into regional responsibility most offices have been more careful to be sure you are living in there area of responsibility and this seems to be that offices attempt to meet that requirement. Most would ask for a lease agreement but often they do want to have copy of landlords ID now as further proof. They are responsible for the information being correct so can drive them to obtain more paperwork to cover themselves in case of later checks. As mentioned for dependent it is doubly important to show residence at same location as sponsor so would expect that to be checked carefully.

Normally they do require some show of residence and in this case seem to be using the marriage to a Thai criteria of many offices. Suspect this is a local request. Have you normally offered a lease agreement or no request for any proof of residence? Since the breakup into regional responsibility most offices have been more careful to be sure you are living in there area of responsibility and this seems to be that offices attempt to meet that requirement. Most would ask for a lease agreement but often they do want to have copy of landlords ID now as further proof. They are responsible for the information being correct so can drive them to obtain more paperwork to cover themselves in case of later checks. As mentioned for dependent it is doubly important to show residence at same location as sponsor so would expect that to be checked carefully.

As I wrote, I own my house...I have shown my utility bills at the same address - but officer said not interested in receiving copies of same.

Interestingly, for the past 6 years in this province, we both reported every 90 days to the same officer whom we deal with for the retirement extension. So you'd think seeing us together on approximaytely 15 + occasions, he'd cut us some slack. Occasionally, we use thee postal system, for the 90 day reporting ;) Love Thais and their country - so no whining from us. This posted just for info. Will up date after the visit for our extension. Tks for the responses!