Favorite Bangkok Restaurants

While reading this week's Asia Bugle, I found the URL for a Pub/Restaurant in Bangkok that I just check out on our next trip to Thailand. It is the Witch Tavern on Soi Thonglor (ref. Soi 55) Sukhumvit, Bangkok.

http://www.witch-tavern.com/about.html

Be sure to have a look at their food and drink menu's.

As most of you know, I don't drink so the bulk of my time is spent finding new restaurants that I can try. Seeings as how, Lat and I spend little time in Bangkok, we really do not know of the favorite eateries in the Big Mango.

We DO plan to spend a little more time in Bangkok during our next vacation to LOS so would like to know if any of you have tried the Witch Tavern and your comments and if you have the time/inclination, please tell us your favorite Thai food and Expat food places in Bangkok.

Ken and Rattana Bower

San Antonio Texas USA

I really don't go in for Indian food or any food that is not HIGH in meat and taters.

My favorite stateside meals are:

Prime Rib

Rib Eye Steaks

Corned Beef and Cabbage

Pork ribs

Babybackribs

Pork Tenderloin

Ham (I prefer salt cured ham like they have at Cracker Barrel Rest. in the states)

Pork Steaks

Pork Chops

Fuddrucker quality hamburgers w/jalapina cheese and bacon

Salmon

Crayfish

Raw Oysters

Scallops

Norweigen Cod

Anything with anchovies, i.e. pizza, soups, salads

Any sausages, prefer hot & spicy

Any Veal dishes

Pasta w/white or cream sauces

Twice baked potatoes

American fried Potatoes

Lumpy mashed potatoes

Hash brown potatoes with cheese

Excuse me, now I'm so hungry I'm gonna eat everything in the ice box.

Ken Bower

Gold metal winner in Overeating

I love my fortnightly visits to Oishi, that's the Oishi BUFFET restaurant, not the shshi restaurant or sushi bar.

Set price (either 300 or 500bt dep on time of day) and you can help your self and eat as much as you like of the finest quality seafood, fruit, japanese beef, vegtables etc... etc...

The beef is raw and you give it to the chefs who cook it, make it look nice and have it returned to your table.

While you wait you can dunk in soy sauce and eat as much raw salmon as your stomach will allow.

To my knowledge there's at least six of these restaurants in Bangkok. There's apparently one in Siam, there's one at Seacon Square, but the best I've been to are in Ladprao and Thong Lo soi 55.

Enjoy.

Axel,

Always Medium RARE for anything beef, well done for all other meat, and for fish, seafood never OVERCOOKED.

Ken Bower

San Antonio Texas

Ken

no need to argue, I see. Fully agree, although I am not too much a friend of sea food. Some cod, fine, anchovies on a pizza or on top of a steak :o

Coming back to Bangkok.

Very nice, Luca's in M-Thai Tower on Wireless Road. GREAT. But watch the price,

very expensive. End an evening with your favourite smoke with some drinks. One of the few legal smoking places I know of. Great cigars, but again, watch the price.

Next door '87', belongs to the CONRAD. Great presentation of food, nice portions and reasonble prices (for the location) Watch a show or fashion dance over dinner, watch the waitresses and tell your missus, you are looking at one of the unintrusive flat screens.

Hungry: BELLA NAPOLI Sukh Soi 33. Great Pizzas, around Baht 2-220. Don't order a side dish. A bit too many farangs. Make a reservation or come weekdays 7-7:30 pm to get a table for the 2nd sitting.

I was in the Khao San road area last night and had an excellent meal of mussels, prawns, and two types of river fish all of which are displayed on ice outside the little dive (open on two sides with maybe 10 tables) situated on a corner there. The place is run by chinese and can probably be found by asking any of the locals where the best seafood place is located. Outstanding...and I don't like Thai food...

Fish and Chips at the OFFSHORE in Soi 23 has always come highly reccom.

However after approx. 20 odd years I keep finding that I always seem to go through the wrong door and as yet never actually tried ithem (F@C-that is)...one day ...hic-hic.

Got taken out to Pier 61 last night down on the river and can honestly say if you like seafood and especially those big 12 inch freshwater prawns... this is the joint :o

Yeah,

Wish we could get good fish and chips here in San Antonio Texas....

Best giant prawns I ever had was at a restaurant half way between Manila and Angeles City on the old Angeles Hiway. Believe it was just called the Halfway House or something.

Now you've made me hungary again... It's off to the kitchen

Oh, and thanks for the suggestions.

Ken and Rattana Bower

San Antonio Texas

Visiting Thailand since 1971

Axel - just a correction, Bella Napoli is in soi 31, there's a bella in soi 33 also but I forgot what bella...

Rinrada - soooo craving fish and chips for ages already....where on or in soi 23?

Delicious Chiangmai/northern Thailand food (one of the best places to get kao soi) at Kongkaew in soi 22, tucked away along all the massage shops.....so when you get the time head for a massage and something to eat right after...sheer delight!

try Cuppa.....a bit of a trendy yuppie sort of place frequented by Thai and farang. Food is great. they do cocktails as well. If yo ubook early you might be able to get a very comfy lounge situation in the corner. Its a big open sort of warehouse style. They roast their own coffee here too. breakfasts are said to be popular. They do good pasta, steaks, salads and some thia food too.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Thai food in small joint called "Klang soi"in Sawee-tee-wet near the hospital and adjacent to the sign pointing the way to the Americian international School.

recco.the red duck curry.....yim lau. :o

The first time i went to Thailand i went to a real good restraunt on Soi Lang Suan called AdMakers. The best thing i liked about it was the band they had. Every night there is 2 Thai guys who play the best guitar i have heard in a while... great entertainment...

If i wanted a quite night i would just go there with my friends and listen to some music over drinks... However the food is great aswell :o