Why are Lexus so expensive ? Benz and BMW are so cheap compared to Lexus ! Would you spend 10 MB ?

Hi;

I have always been thinking that Benz and BMW are priced reasonably and Lexus website confirms this:

http://www.lexus.co.th/en/models/ls.compare.html

I wonder who buys a Lexus 10 MB when you can buy a Porsche Panamera or Cayenne for the same price ?

Does Lexus really have any prestige for some people ? For me it's just a Japanese car with better finishing and it makes me think that a 5MB benz is actually a very good deal !

So, what are the reasons for Nexus to be sold at such a high price ?

Thank you for your ideas.

As a long-time Lexus owner, beginning with the original LS400 in 1989, I can say it's every bit as good a marque from an engineering quality, longevity, driving experience and luxury as both Mercedes and BMW.

In fact long-term total cost of ownership surveys show that the per-mile total running costs of a Lexus isn't that much more than a regular Toyota, because of their incredible reliability and longevity.

However this probably isn't true in Thailand, since purchase prices do not reflect value and quality as much as they do in other markets, due to the fact that they are so grossly distorted by import duties.

Volume would also be a factor - I don't think Toyota's targeted the Thai market much, so the dealership network here (is there one?) would be very thin on the ground and overheads born by a much lower sales volume.

You'll find true top-end marques like Ferrari and Maybach to be similarly disproportionally costly relative to ordinary lines.

• Like 2

Yeah, I owned an LS before (not in Thailand), and it was a lovely car - equal if not better in some ways to the 7 series and S classes I've had. However, in Thailand it makes little sense to own one. They are imported, and thus the import taxes are the very high, and typically, the engines are much bigger, resulting in additional hefty taxes. Even though it officially is a Toyota bloodline, the parts are much more expensive, so it doesn't share the typical advantage of owning a Toyota in Thailand. BTW, anyone who thinks they are comparable to any Toyota has never owned one, though I suppose the RXs and Harriers are closer. There are quite a few in Bangkok, but few outside it seems.

Just for fun - go to one2car and see how much a mid-nineties LS400 goes for. It's ridiculous. You could buy a brand spanking new ecocar for the same price.

Just for fun - go to one2car and see how much a mid-nineties LS400 goes for. It's ridiculous. You could buy a brand spanking new ecocar for the same price.

But if the LS had under 100k and been properly maintained it would actually make sense financially, last a lot longer than the little sh1tbox ever will - they'll go 500k and 20 years easy - and be a LOT more fun to drive.

They are thirsty though, especially when you get up to speed.

I got clocked at 170mph (yes miles not km) middle of the night on the way to Montreal, copper with the radar was stationery, had to radio ahead to get me stopped. Couldn't just pay the fine ($600 I think) had to make a court appearance, boosted my insurance 30% for the next three years.

Think it was around 60K USD new, sold it for over 20K ten years later around 150k miles on it when I moved to Thailand, funny enough to a young Laos guy, new-immigrant software engineer, big face for him 8-)

Edited by wym
  • Like 1

I have always been thinking that Benz and BMW are priced reasonably

Is it just thinking on your part or is based on anything factual? What is pricing of Benz/BMW with V8 engines (a must) like the Lexus?

For a start compare a V8 BMW,with a Lexus price wise here , i had a 1989 L.S. 400. ,if thats the V8 saloon one in USA, about 50K U.S .Beautifully Boring looks,changed it for a Supra Turbo after 3 months,no half as fast though,why are Toyo so boring. coffee1.gif

Yeah, I owned an LS before (not in Thailand), and it was a lovely car - equal if not better in some ways to the 7 series and S classes I've had. However, in Thailand it makes little sense to own one. They are imported, and thus the import taxes are the very high, and typically, the engines are much bigger, resulting in additional hefty taxes. Even though it officially is a Toyota bloodline, the parts are much more expensive, so it doesn't share the typical advantage of owning a Toyota in Thailand. BTW, anyone who thinks they are comparable to any Toyota has never owned one, though I suppose the RXs and Harriers are closer. There are quite a few in Bangkok, but few outside it seems.

Sorry do not understand this.. ?

see how much a mid-nineties LS400 goes for. It's ridiculous. is it ?

Also check the Toyota Crown of the same year, or 7 Series BMW or BENZ S Class.. they all appear to be the same price for the same year, same class.. so if the LS400 is much better then is a better deal at the ridiculous price... ?

If money is no problem then buy new as think many do not even look at the price, otherwise if wanting Luxury buy 2nd hand same price as more common main stream models

Appears the same with all classes, Imports tend to be the same price as common models after a few years, [same price for Luxury as a Thai base models now that in my mind is ridiculous]

You can also buy a Proton Saga 2012 so near new for under 200,000 baht !! so why pay near 600,000 for a new ecocar ??

Sorry do not understand this.. ?

see how much a mid-nineties LS400 goes for. It's ridiculous. is it ?

Also check the Toyota Crown of the same year, or 7 Series BMW or BENZ S Class.. they all appear to be the same price for the same year, same class.. so if the LS400 is much better then is a better deal at the ridiculous price... ?

If money is no problem then buy new as think many do not even look at the price, otherwise if wanting Luxury buy 2nd hand same price as more common main stream models

Appears the same with all classes, Imports tend to be the same price as common models after a few years, [same price for Luxury as a Thai base models now that in my mind is ridiculous]

You can also buy a Proton Saga 2012 so near new for under 200,000 baht !! so why pay near 600,000 for a new ecocar ??

I agree that LS400 would be a much more satisfying car to drive than an eco-box and is built like a tank, but that big old v8 is a thirsty motha, (though many have been coverted to lpg). And it's gonna need maintenance repairs. Would be an ideal car for someone who didn't drive much and wanted luxury for cheap.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As someone mentioned, it's all to do with import duties...

For their more common models, BMW and Mercedes both send cars to Thailand as CKD (essentially as kits for local assembly), which has significantly lower import duties than finished cars (I think it's something like 30% vs 80%). As the other taxes on cars, including locally produced ones, are based on the price including import duties, this is exaggerated once those other taxes are taken into account.

The great thing about life is that we have choices.

What your also suggesting is that the build or parts quality of a Lexus should be less because its Asian as opposed to European.

I think your comment has racial overtones mixed in with a touch of ignorance

As a long-time Lexus owner, beginning with the original LS400 in 1989, I can say it's every bit as good a marque from an engineering quality, longevity, driving experience and luxury as both Mercedes and BMW.

In fact long-term total cost of ownership surveys show that the per-mile total running costs of a Lexus isn't that much more than a regular Toyota, because of their incredible reliability and longevity.

However this probably isn't true in Thailand, since purchase prices do not reflect value and quality as much as they do in other markets, due to the fact that they are so grossly distorted by import duties.

Volume would also be a factor - I don't think Toyota's targeted the Thai market much, so the dealership network here (is there one?) would be very thin on the ground and overheads born by a much lower sales volume.

You'll find true top-end marques like Ferrari and Maybach to be similarly disproportionally costly relative to ordinary lines.

Anyone buying a new Lexus, BMW or Mercedes for low long term ownership cost is probably in for disappointment.

The depreciation cost alone will ensure that.

Put simply they are a lot less to maintain. .. AND last longer

Smart, big money drive Lexus. Bill Gates, etc., but Warren Buffet drives old Lincolns & Caddys. :P

• Like 1

Smart, big money drive Lexus. Bill Gates, etc., but Warren Buffet drives old Lincolns & Caddys. tongue.png

I drive a 1995 Saab Turbo CS 9000 Hatchback. I've had it ten years and its the best car I've ever had, reluctantly selling it to live an indefinite expats life.

It takes 3 surfboards, 3 dogs and 3 adults inside comfortably. It was the last Saab actually built in Sweden and then the safest car on the road, to have an accident in.

Smart, big money drive Lexus. Bill Gates, etc., but Warren Buffet drives old Lincolns & Caddys. tongue.png

I drive a 1995 Saab Turbo CS 9000 Hatchback. I've had it ten years and its the best car I've ever had, reluctantly selling it to live an indefinite expats life.

It takes 3 surfboards, 3 dogs and 3 adults inside comfortably. It was the last Saab actually built in Sweden and then the safest car on the road, to have an accident in.

Yes, very nice car, drove it back home.

Subaru wrx would knock spots off all the above mentioned cars and are a lot cheaper !!

Not very big spots?

Lexus-GS-F-Sport-1.jpg

..and it's Auto for those days when one is feeling lazy.

Edited by VocalNeal

If you got the money knock yourself out but in my opinion it is just a glorify Toyota Fortuna that is important therefore the ridiculous import tax like 40% more. Benz and BMW great but limited to service as far as I can see. If you drive it upcountry and it breaks down What and where?

Save the money but if you got it knock yourself out! enjoy!

• Like 1

If you got the money knock yourself out but in my opinion it is just a glorify Toyota Fortuna that is important therefore the ridiculous import tax like 40% more. Benz and BMW great but limited to service as far as I can see. If you drive it upcountry and it breaks down What and where?

Spot on IMO, a spruced up Fortuna. I have never owned a Lexus but have a couple friends that own one and both say they OK vehicles are not worth the $$$$. In Thailand I have owned two Camrys, the first one was great, the second one is a total POS!! I am currently in the market for a new Accord. No more Toyota's for me.

• Like 1

Spot on IMO, a spruced up Fortuna. I have never owned a Lexus but have a couple friends that own one and both say they OK vehicles are not worth the $$$$. In Thailand I have owned two Camrys, the first one was great, the second one is a total POS!! I am currently in the market for a new Accord. No more Toyota's for me.

Honda great choice here in Thailand, but they also have a upscale brand like Lexus, can't remember the name now not sure it they still do? But the lines on that Honda Accord and size I really like great choice Too bad they don't have a Honda Pilot here?

Handa's is Acura.

Comparing SUBARU <deleted> to any of those three is completely ridiculous, how many get past fifteen years and 500K and still tick over like a swiss watch requiring very few unscheduled repairs?

And at US prices it's a proven fact by the well-respected Consumer's Union that Lexus running cost long-term is absolutely best in its class, and as I said not much more than owning 2-3 regular Toyotas over that time period. Build quality is that good.

And to the fan of European vs Asian, sorry that ended back in the 90s almost across the board with Toyota and Honda taking over. And the Lexus is far far above the norm for all of them.

Yes the import duties may well skew things, but if you want a luxe class vehicle and you see the second-hand LS available on par with equivalent Benz or Beemer, it is by far the better deal from a practical and joy-to-drive POV. Only downside is it's a bit thirstier, but the power makes up for it. Oh and they don't make a true manual, but that's a plus for most if you're in any traffic.

And finally the guy talking about depreciation - we are talking used here, so the first owner's paid for that.

• Like 1

It has nothing to do with being comparable to Toyota, because it is Toyota but its luxury brand.

"...the parts are much more expensive,"

As a Lexus owner you'll know that one of the reasons they are so expensive is that they are meticulously manufactured and very rarely will you need their parts department.