What is it with Thais and new home rituals?

NeverSure

I have a lady friend in Isaan. She just had a new home built, financed with the new home scheme.

Before she could move in yesterday, there had to be a big ceremony with monks and all to "bless" the house.

Further, she had to sleep in the new house for at least the first 3 days immediately after the ceremony. Normally she stays in a dorm at a village school so this meant travel. Sleeping in the house for the first 3 days is supposed to bring her "blessings."

Could this have anything to do with Thais not wanting used houses? Could it be a fear of ghosts or something in a used house?

I go with the flow on this and say nothing, but this is new to me. Has anyone else heard of this ritual?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are lots of unusual rituals followed in Los and indeed SE Asia. The one you mention here is quite similar to one I know of southwest of Surat. There must always be someone in the new house for the 3 days after the blessing to encourage good spirits to enter the house. If the house is empty then bad spirits move in because there is nothing to stop them. I've heard a couple of variants of this over the years.

We moved into our new house the same way. We were in a hurry to make house ready for party and moved into house a few nights before the big party which had at least 10 monks in the house for blessing. I posted on here about the size and extravagence of our party only to be told it was overkill.

We kept an ornamental fancy machete in bedroom for a few days after moving in. yeah, I don't know.

If you hang out with westernized Thais they've already learned how to sanitize what they'll talk to foreigners about, speak Thai to those without much exposure to foreigners and you get more of the truth.

100% spot on.

I'm fortunate to have a couple of very close Thai friends who are willing to talk about these various rituals and beliefs. Most of the people I know are at least willing to say what is being done but they don't have the willingness to go into the why and the how.

• Like 1

I have a lady friend in Isaan. She just had a new home built, financed with the new home scheme.

Before she could move in yesterday, there had to be a big ceremony with monks and all to "bless" the house.

Further, she had to sleep in the new house for at least the first 3 days immediately after the ceremony. Normally she stays in a dorm at a village school so this meant travel. Sleeping in the house for the first 3 days is supposed to bring her "blessings."

Could this have anything to do with Thais not wanting used houses? Could it be a fear of ghosts or something in a used house?

I go with the flow on this and say nothing, but this is new to me. Has anyone else heard of this ritual?

It used to be that when a house was sold to another, that the Ham Yon over the bedroom door was taken down and broken. Ham Yon translates into something like magic testicles and was seen as the repository of male energy. No Thai man would want another mans energy in his house. So after the old Ham Yon was broken up, the new owner put his own up.

Generally speaking, the first item moved into a new house is the Buddha icon which is placed in an auspicious and high location.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

We too had the special house-warming/blessing ceremony, with a sort of tripod/pyramid in the lounge, which the family had to sit inside for the ceremony.

It was linked with lustral-string from our heads to the tripod to the monks, with chanting & food afterwards (so very Thai), the local villagers who attended took home the remaining food for their families, jolly good sense there !

Thai equivalent of a farang house-warming party, where friends would bring a house-warming present over or, in the old poorer post-war days, come dressed-to-paint & help redecorate the house & then enjoy a bring-a-plate party ! Simple pleasures, in the old times, huh ? rolleyes.gif

when you've been here longer you'll realise how superstitious thai's are and how many rituals they have. for all sorts of crazy stuff;

my chinese/thai GF's mum cut a mole off her back when she was a child because she thought it would make her lazy... from what she tells me chinese /thais are even worse than thai/thai's for superstitious nonsense.

• Like 1

Ritual after buying a car (last week).

Salesman: Yes, car will be ready on Monday.

Me: great, see you then. (Sold my old car, I had a rental car).

Wife: Wait, I go to internet.

10 minutes later....

Wife: Husband born on a Tuesday. He 51. So cannot take car out until Thursday. Next Saturday good too!

Me: What!

Wife: Yes, you take car out Monday, bad luck all year.

Fast forward to Thursday...

Wife: NO DRIVE YET. You have to....... before leave dealer.

Me: Got in the car, and drove in a small circle 3 <deleted>' times like an idiot before I could exit. giggle.gif

Good thing about this is that wife bought me lunch that day. wub.png

You then went straight to 3 different temples to get it blessed by monks, right? That's what I had to do.

• Like 2

whether it is lucky car plate numbers

Or phone number! I've had to get a new sim many times over the years at local phone outlets inc. 7/11. Even so called westernized Thai ladies find it hard to choose a supposed lucky number for someone other than themselves.

Actually in many populations, circumcision is held to be the best hope for reducing the spread of HIV/AIDS.

And modern medicine has rediscovered valid uses for leeches in surgery.

They also put a wire around the house and leave that for many months, also after they have changed the house by construction.

It has some religious function, i gues it is like a thai wedding where the wire symbolises the connection with buddha. Maybe it is also to show that you have a new house or had construction on it.

Many houses here have the wire over the fence all around the house..