What is it with Thais and new home rituals?

NeverSure

Our "new house ceremony" was scheduled for months to occur at the most auspicious time, which coincided with Chinese New Year (and the election). Mother in Law invited the entire village (technically it's her house) the population of which had doubled owing to the election, there was full on music for 24 hours, dancing for the same period, and huge amounts of food and drink consumed. The village "spiritual" guy held a ceremony as the sun went down on day 1 and a further one the following morning, then 9 monks turned up and lots of yak from them, before they were fed what I can only describe as a sumptuous feast (4 or 5 times better than anything I have ever eaten in the village). Fortunately a mate and his wife came down from Laos so I had someone to share a few cold beers with. Result - Wife happy, Mother in Law happy, village fed and watered for two days and well hung over on day 3. Me, just THB 76,00 poorer.

Yes, we have also had to have all new motorbikes blessed and when I decide on the make of new car, that will be blessed also.

• Like 1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually in many populations, circumcision is held to be the best hope for reducing the spread of HIV/AIDS.

And modern medicine has rediscovered valid uses for leeches in surgery.

And don't forget maggots are making a come-back. They just love to clean open wounds.

yes exactly - hope you weren't joking

they do a much cleaner job than the technological alternatives

Not nice to say but I don't care at all this BST magic, which I mention always just "ombolom bombolom".

When our company was set up my wife told have to call monks and make a big magic.

I answered she can organize every-thing and call me me when it's finished and every furniture are moved back their places and the office is full clean.

Than she showed me pictures about "ombolom bombolom" ceremony I almost laughed but didn't hurt her.

Just told: I guess we have not to work at all over this big magic, the magic will work instead of us.

It used to be that when a house was sold to another, that the Ham Yon over the bedroom door was taken down and broken. Ham Yon translates into something like magic testicles and was seen as the repository of male energy. No Thai man would want another mans energy in his house. So after the old Ham Yon was broken up, the new owner put his own up.

Generally speaking, the first item moved into a new house is the Buddha icon which is placed in an auspicious and high location.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The new owner nailed his balls to the wall???
magic testiicles! Av seen someone pull a rabbit out of a hat but never a pair of <deleted>..

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Ritual after buying a car (last week).

Salesman: Yes, car will be ready on Monday.
Me: great, see you then. (Sold my old car, I had a rental car).
Wife: Wait, I go to internet.

10 minutes later....

Wife: Husband born on a Tuesday. He 51. So cannot take car out until Thursday. Next Saturday good too!
Me: What!
Wife: Yes, you take car out Monday, bad luck all year.

Fast forward to Thursday...

Wife: NO DRIVE YET. You have to....... before leave dealer.

Me: Got in the car, and drove in a small circle 3 &lt;deleted&gt;' times like an idiot before I could exit. giggle.gif src="http://3-ps.googleusercontent.com/x/www.thaivisa.com/static.thaivisa.com/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/giggle.gif.pagespeed.ce.AcGRO3FsZu.gif" alt=giggle.gif width=20 height=25>

Good thing about this is that wife bought me lunch that day. wub.png src="http://2-ps.googleusercontent.com/x/www.thaivisa.com/static.thaivisa.com/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/wub.png.pagespeed.ce.auE7ON7hrr.png" alt=wub.png width=20 height=29>

Everyone has a price they are willing to pay, that would be to high for me.

What a load of freggin Bull S...t! Anyone stupid enough to play these stupid games or be stupid enough to believe this ESPECIALLY a SUPPOSEDLY educated foreigner needs his or hers head read! Honestly!!!........Wake up Rotting brain farang! Sad part is most get so overwhelmed by their newly found daughter aged princess that they forget that they are in reality mature age and sposed to have more intelligence than these poor low esteemed , no hope or outlook race....Sorry to offend . Alls you got to do is look around with your eyes open ! The state and care of the environment tells you everything you need to know about 3rd world and the beliefs .

Hey you are right I am wrong ... I believe hundreds of homeless dogs and cats roaming and still multiplying as I speak is no problem! swimming in sewerage or polluted waters causes no problem . polluting the environment with non-decomposing waste no problem, No road policing and 26,000 deaths per year on the roads very acceptable ! People been given weet bix box licences to drive when they don't even know what to do at a stop or give way sign ,,,,sure no problem !!!

We prefer to ward off the bad spirits and sit in our new house for 3 days .

FOR F.@#KS SAKE get a life!!!!!!
(Me: Got in the car, and drove in a small circle 3 &lt;deleted&gt;' times like an idiot before I could exit. giggle.gif) but really I lowered my standard not only to show I AM a farang IDIOT but to really show I am a slave to my misses stupidity and I haven't any time OR balls to intelligently correct her , but that's ok cause I get it for another nite for acting like this when in my home country all the women with even half a brain avoid me LEAST OF ALL ALLOW ME IN THEIR BED!

10 minutes later....

Wife: Husband born on a Tuesday. He 51. So cannot take car out until Thursday. Next Saturday good too!

Me: Got in the car, and drove in a small circle 3 &lt;deleted&gt;' times like an idiot before I could exit. giggle.gif

Good thing about this is that wife bought me lunch that day. wub.png

The beauty of you going through all of that, NOW you can drive as fast as you want, run red lights, weave through lanes without reckless indifference, don't need to wear a seat belt or service the car, the sky's the limit really, throw all caution to the wind ;) Edited by neverdie

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

10 minutes later....

Me: Got in the car, and drove in a small circle 3 &lt;deleted&gt;' times like an idiot before I could exit. giggle.gif src="http://3-ps.googleusercontent.com/x/www.thaivisa.com/static.thaivisa.com/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/giggle.gif.pagespeed.ce.AcGRO3FsZu.gif" alt=giggle.gif width=20 height=25>

Good thing about this is that wife bought me lunch that day. wub.png src="http://2-ps.googleusercontent.com/x/www.thaivisa.com/static.thaivisa.com/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/wub.png.pagespeed.ce.auE7ON7hrr.png" alt=wub.png width=20 height=29>

What a load of freggin Bull S...t! Anyone stupid enough to play these stupid games or be stupid enough to believe this ESPECIALLY a SUPPOSEDLY educated foreigner needs his or hers head read! Honestly!!!........Wake up Rotting brain farang! Sad part is most get so overwhelmed by their newly found daughter aged princess that they forget that they are in reality mature age and sposed to have more intelligence than these poor low esteemed , no hope or outlook race....Sorry to offend . Alls you got to do is look around with your eyes open ! The state and care of the environment tells you everything you need to know about 3rd world and the beliefs .

Hey you are right I am wrong ... I believe hundreds of homeless dogs and cats roaming and still multiplying as I speak is no problem! swimming in sewerage or polluted waters causes no problem . polluting the environment with non-decomposing waste no problem, No road policing and 26,000 deaths per year on the roads very acceptable ! People been given weet bix box licences to drive when they don't even know what to do at a stop or give way sign ,,,,sure no problem !!!

(Me: Got in the car, and drove in a small circle 3 &lt;deleted&gt;' times like an idiot before I could exit. giggle.gif) but really I lowered my standard not only to show I AM a farang IDIOT but to really show I am a slave to my misses stupidity and I haven't any time OR balls to intelligently correct her , but that's ok cause I get it for another nite for acting like this when in my home country all the women with even half a brain avoid me LEAST OF ALL ALLOW ME IN THEIR BED!

So, What's your point?? That was a hella of a rant there, hope you feel better.

I thank Bhudda that it was only ONE temple. I got my a$$ chewed by my wife when I **backed** into the building where the monk was. I always back into a parking space. Habit. I had to turn around and drive into the parking space, open all 4 doors and we all had to get sprayed with holy water.

If it wasn't for love, I would not be doing this!!

I like your note:

It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realise that there is always a way to solve problems without using violence

After 8 years of this type of nonsense.. I finally put a stop too it.

It encourages a valid fear of ghosts and luck, whether good or bad.

When it got to the point where I could not enjoy a short holiday with the missus, because someone was scared of ghosts, I knew it was time.

So I sat down with the family... Banned all soapies... explained why I did... then said, that if you believe in ghost sh*t, then do it elsewhere as this home is now updated to 2014 specs and those old ways that you worship are gone... Since then, my 2 young kids seem more relaxed and the eldest shocked me when she wanted a comic book on ghosts. I asked why and her reply was... "they don't scare me anymore".....

What ever happened to the oft quoted expression "When in Rome" the more I read these pages the more I wonder why some people decide to settle in a country that they seem so dismissive of.

Why do people have to live by Quotes... Its kind of ridiculous.. dont you think?

I love my wife, my kids and Thailand.

I dont have to love the destructive superstition that is fed daily to the Thais via soapies and such...

It must be sad for some people that believe that they cannot live how they want because they believe in the superstition that "When in Rome......"

10 minutes later....

Me: Got in the car, and drove in a small circle 3 &lt;deleted&gt;' times like an idiot before I could exit. giggle.gif

Good thing about this is that wife bought me lunch that day. wub.png

Yet you would go to the trouble of finding a new 'lucky' phone number !.

You don't seem to have learned much from your Thai friends smile.png

10 minutes later....

Probably bought the car in the wife's name. That gives her the right to call the shots.

10 minutes later....

you are a bellend..sorry to offend.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app