An Old Question(?) - Is The Celta Worth It?

Hi all,

Apologies for posting this age-old question, but after sifting through so much information I thought I would start a thread.

I'm English, 27, have a BA, and I'm thinking of relocating to Thailand. I am seriously considering taking the CELTA with ECC, but for me, it’s a lot of money to spend.

I have been teaching English for the last 3 years in rural Japan.

I have taught ages 5-50+, in 1-1 settings, private groups, languages schools, elementary schools and junior high schools. I would like the learning experience and the qualification from the CELTA course, but wonder if it’s worth it?

From what I see, all the higher paying jobs ask for a CELTA or equivalent. I was basically wondering whether it is possible to get a decent job with this experience and good references? (For me, decent means Mon-Fri 8-5, health insurance, around 35K+, - is that asking a lot?)

Also, if there is anyone who has taken the CELTA at ECC and has any stories/points of interest I would be keen to hear them.

Thank you,

TD

Maybe I'm slightly biased to think that the CELTA is overrated in Thailand, so that's my disclosure.

I think three years of teaching in Asia has qualified you. It is yet to be proven that the average Thai employer of TEFL teachers really gives more credence to a CELTA than to one of its competitors, but the reputation is still there in the minds of those who took it.

Unless you're still making the same mistakes in your fourth year as you made in your first six months of TEFL, your experience should supercede a four week course. You might look for a one-week course (which would serve as a refresher or reminder), but I can't think of a one-week course (I'd take it myself, as a refresher).

However, the times I've been mistaken....

Apart from the British Council most places only worry that you're TEFL certified. Lots of courses available and many advertise on ajarn.com. Find one accredited by the ministry of education. Despite claims from some providers only the Cambridge CELTA or Trinity College TESOL are internationally recognised but they're very expensive. If a provider's price is similar to the CELTA or TESOL then they are overcharging you because CELTA and TESOL pay large accreditation fees to their accreditation body, The Thai ministry of education does not charge an accreditation fee.

I'm really very happy that I did a CELTA, whether it carries more weight than a regular TEFL in the LoS, I really couldn't say.

Also, if there is anyone who has taken the CELTA at ECC and has any stories/points of interest I would be keen to hear them.

I personally enquired at ECC (in Sian Square) about their CELTA course a couple of years back, they weren't terribly friendly or welcoming people. I may have just caught them at a bad time. In the end I decided to take the course in my native country, which made far more sense at the time, even if it was more expensive.

Hi all,

Apologies for posting this age-old question, but after sifting through so much information I thought I would start a thread.

I'm English, 27, have a BA, and I'm thinking of relocating to Thailand. I am seriously considering taking the CELTA with ECC, but for me, it’s a lot of money to spend.

I have been teaching English for the last 3 years in rural Japan.

I have taught ages 5-50+, in 1-1 settings, private groups, languages schools, elementary schools and junior high schools. I would like the learning experience and the qualification from the CELTA course, but wonder if it’s worth it?

From what I see, all the higher paying jobs ask for a CELTA or equivalent. I was basically wondering whether it is possible to get a decent job with this experience and good references? (For me, decent means Mon-Fri 8-5, health insurance, around 35K+, - is that asking a lot?)

Thank you,

TD

I took it as well and was very happy with the quality of the course (ECC Siam). I took it because I do not have a degree at this time and I was out of teaching for quite awhile. It helped me refresh my teaching and get the cobwebs out. In your case I don't see any reason to do it. You say you have a BA and three years experience teaching in Japan. There isn't any need for any further qualification in my opinion. You can even get a work permit and license if you desired.

Can't wait to get out there :D

It can be fun and relaxing to live here, but teachers generally are paid poor wages and there is very little respect for English teachers from other expat types who work here (some of whom make less than the average teacher, but still look upon them with disdain). This has never bothered me, but some might feel socially stigmatised by it. Stinkman even once wrote that you should never tell 'a bird' that you're an English teacher because she'll probably lose interest immediately. :o

The upside is that the students, both Thais and foreign Asian students, respect teachers a lot for the work they do if they are good at what they do.