Malaysia's Anwar Ibrahim guilty of sodomy, gets five years jail

webfact

Anwar guilty of sodomy, gets five years jail

167714-imagepng-246017-wpcf_728x413.jpg

KUALA LUMPUR: -- Malaysia's Court of Appeal on Friday sentenced opposition leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim to five years jail for sodomising former aide MohdSaifulBukhariAzlan six years ago.

The three-man bench, headed by DatukBaliaYusofWahi, delivered the unanimous decision after finding Anwar guilty of the offence late afternoon today.

‎Balia, speaking on behalf of the whole panel, ruled that the trial judge failed to judicially appreciate the evidence and give proper weight to prosecution witness testimonies.

On Aug 7, 2008 at the Sessions Court, Anwar, 67, claimed trial to sodomisingSaiful, 29, at DesaDamansara condominium, No. 99, JalanSetiakasih, Bukit Damansara, between 3.01pm and 4.30pm on June 26 the same year.

The offence is punishable with imprisonment up to 20 years and whipping under Section 377B of the Penal Code.

The High Court ordered Anwar to enter his defence on May 16, 2011.‎ He was later acquitted and discharged on Jan 9, 2012.

The prosecution filed an appeal against the verdict on Jan 20, 2012.

The Court of Appeal on Friday sentenced Anwar to five years imprisonment.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/anwar-guilty-sodomy-gets-five-years-jail/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-03-08

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It says the offence is punishable by up to 20 yrs imprisonment and whipping.

Is he to be whipped as well or not?

I have read that being DWI drive whilst intoxicated is also punishable with whipping.

I saw a video of a man being caned, not a good look.crying.gif

Aint sharia great?angry.gif.pagespeed.ce.l3zkt7JShR.gifblink.png

Convicted under Malaysian Criminal Code, not Sharia Law. As others have said seems to be based upon politics so he cannot be a candidate in the upcoming elections.

That may be the case. But I would say that if you asked 100 supporters of Malaysia's barbaric anti-sodomy laws what motivates their support, 90 or more of the answers will have to do with some truly ridiculous books that they seriously believe were written by the creator of the universe.

In this case of course the accusation is politically motivated. But it is almost always religious faith, in this case Islam, that leads well-meaning human beings to accept that homosexuality is a reason to incarcerate and physically abuse another person. And that's by far the bigger issue here.

Edited by cocopops
  • Like 2

Hooray for religious faith! Believing things and acting barbarically toward other human beings without any good reason is awesome!

Get it right, this is not a thread for bashing religion. He was convicted under the penal code, it has nothing to do with religion.

Whether you agree with their laws or not is another thing entirely.

• Like 2

I can say from personal experience that some of these powerful Malaysian politicians like them some "sodomy" (saying no more), just like some politicians everywhere. In this case, there are layered issues. It's a way to crush any potential opposition. Whether he is "guilty" or not isn't the point, crushing the opposition is the point. Of course it shouldn't be a legal issue in the first place anywhere, but it is.

Does anyone know the specific Malaysian legal code defining what "sodomy" actually is there?

Edited by Jingthing

Aint sharia great?angry.gif.pagespeed.ce.l3zkt7JShR.gifblink.png

Convicted under Malaysian Penal Code, not Sharia Law. As others have said seems to be based upon politics so he cannot be a candidate in the upcoming elections.

I seriously doubt that the focus is on keeping him out of the "upcoming elections". The campaign against him is much more long lasting than such a short-term focus, They want him out of the way period - the case started almost three years ago. I find it very interesting that the case took almost three years to grant him the verdict of 'not guily', but the government appeal to reverse this verdict only took hours.

• Like 1

I can say from personal experience that some of these powerful Malaysian politicians like them some "sodomy" (saying no more), just like some politicians everywhere. In this case, there are layered issues. It's a way to crush any potential opposition. Whether he is "guilty" or not isn't the point, crushing the opposition is the point. Of course it shouldn't be a legal issue in the first place anywhere, but it is.

Does anyone know the specific Malaysian legal code defining what "sodomy" actually is there?

No bum sex allowed

• Like 2

No bum sex allowed

You have read the code? If not, I reckon your post is just noise.

Male to female, or male to male only?

Definition of sodomy also often includes oral sex (hetero or homo).

Edited by Jingthing

Amazing Malaysia. Malaysian politics -- which is what this is about, and not any actual misdemenour -- makes Thai politics look clean. Neither country is a democracy in the western liberal sense, but Malaysia's democracy is much more of a fix, in perpetual favour of UMNO -- which will do anything to keep Anwar Ibrahim from gaining power.

And Thailand complains it's undemocratic. Here you can barely be held accountable for a massacre of 2,300 people, in Malaysia they simply jail the opposition for being 'gay' - charges that probably are trumped up, but should be irrelevant. Most my intelligent Malaysian friends, the middle class, are truly fed up with this farce that pretends to be a democracy. It's a joke, Malaysian's haven't once tried out a different crowd in government in 50 years of independence. Send them back to colonialism, they deserve it.

No bum sex allowed

Penal Code Law 377B.

Any man found guilty of sodomy shall be sentenced to imprisonment with a term of not more than 20 years.

Sodomy shall be defined as involvement, as either a giver or consenting receiver, of sexual penetration of the anus, any other consensual physical contact with another man of a sexual or loving nature, expressions of lustful feelings towards other men, or excessive interest in either fashion or interior design.

Edited by brit1984
  • Like 1

I traveled and lived in many countries in my life. When I read the daily newspapers in Malaysia during one year stay, I found more reports of incest, rape of minors and adults than in any other country's media.

During that time I also read reports that the "abused" backed off from his initial accusations...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Get it right, this is not a thread for bashing religion. He was convicted under the penal code, it has nothing to do with religion.

Hooray for religious faith! Believing things and acting barbarically toward other human beings without any good reason is awesome!

Whether you agree with their laws or not is another thing entirely.

I'll drink to that...bottoms up ! oops

No bum sex allowed

Penal Code Law 377B.

Any man found guilty of sodomy shall be sentenced to imprisonment with a term of not more than 20 years.

Sodomy shall be defined as involvement, as either a giver or consenting receiver, of sexual penetration of the anus, any other consensual physical contact with another man of a sexual or loving nature, expressions of lustful feelings towards other men, or excessive interest in either fashion or interior design.

Excessive interest in interior design?

SHOCKING stupid laws, especially considering when there's so much else going bad in this fekked up world.

Can't believe it's 2014 yet we have crap like this.

Penal Code Law 377B.

biggrin.png ",,,,,excessive interest in either fashion or interior design....." That's a joke surely ? Very funny biggrin.png

Section 377 of the penal code in 42 former British colonies criminalizes anal sex between men and other homosexual acts.

The provision was introduced by British colonial authorities in the British Raj as section 377 of the Indian Penal Code, and was used as the model for sodomy laws in many other British colonies, in many cases with the same section number.

The prohibition of homosexual acts is provided for in section 377 of the penal codes of India, Malaysia, Singapore (see Section 377A of the Penal Code of Singapore), Pakistan, Bangladesh, Burma, Maldives and Jamaica. It is the model for similar laws that remain in force in Bhutan, Brunei, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Tonga, Tuvalu, Samoa, Malawi, Mauritius, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Ghana, The Gambia, Botswana, Kenya, Nigeria, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia. It was the model for since-repealed laws in Australia, Fiji, Hong Kong, and New Zealand.

Sharia... my butt! whistling.gif

• Like 1