Is it illegal for students to use a helmet when on a bike?

pattjock

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing in this country surprises anymore. I was, minutes ago, taken over by a bike with 3 young schoolgirls on Soi Bouakao. They must have been doing 50-60 km/h and thought it was very funny to almost hit a car every few meters, giggling with joy..... Horrible. MS>

Think back when you were a teenager. You also thought you were made out of steel and knew more and better than anyone else.

It is no different here.

Police do not bother with them, why? because they would need to detain them, have bike towed to police station, call parents and final result is nothing, they will keep on doing it(that is if you take financials out of it)

If you add financials into it, police would waste half a day if not more and possibly get 500 baht fine out of parents.

Not fair? wrong? double standards? call it whatever you like, it is what it is.

No different to the West when kids are caught stealing. Police just scare them and let them go with no repercussions.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Think back when you were a teenager. You also thought you were made out of steel and knew more and better than anyone else.

It is no different here.

Police do not bother with them, why? because they would need to detain them, have bike towed to police station, call parents and final result is nothing, they will keep on doing it(that is if you take financials out of it)

If you add financials into it, police would waste half a day if not more and possibly get 500 baht fine out of parents.

No different to the West when kids are caught stealing. Police just scare them and let them go with no repercussions.

How do they manage to stop 8 year olds riding motorbikes with no helmets and no licence in "civilised" countries then? There are other repercussions for kids caught stealing other than the police just scaring them.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OP it's a done to death topic.

I know you're new here, but the situation is getting better.

In the meantime, just make sure you and your kids wear one.

Better than when? I've been here 5 years and if anything I'd say the levels of road lawlessness and craziness have got worse.

• Like 2

It is no different here.

How do they manage to stop 8 year olds riding motorbikes with no helmets and no licence in "civilised" countries then? There are other repercussions for kids caught stealing other than the police just scaring them.

1. Scooters are NOT as common in civilized countries

2. Parents do not buy scooters for kids who are 8 years old in civilized countries

3. Parents do not lend scooters to 8 year old kids in civilized countries

I did not say there were not other repercussions, i said this is all police does, just scare them.

If you do have some evidence of police doing anything more than scaring an 8 year old, please post it

Edited by whoisyourdaddy

And why would the final result be nothing ?

When I get a fine from a policeman, I will have to pay, and I've never seen him spending more than 15 minutes on it, let stand half a day. Why would that be different with a student.

The only thing this is about is face.

My sons uncle almost died 10 years ago because he fell of a motorbike and wasn't wearing a helmet. For 2 months he was a zombie and didn't speak a word. Luckily he recovered. as he was only 9 years old at the time of the accident.

These days that boys mother, my sons grandmother, is taking my son to the school by motorbike, and she doesn't give a dam_n if he wear a helmet or not. I bought him a decent helmet and check frequently if he wear it.

When I discover that he didn't wear it one day, as was the case a few weeks ago, I shout the grandmother a skin full that the whole village can hear it.

I don't care that she loses face and hates me for it. It is to me beyond comprehension that her son almost died for not wearing a helmet, and still doesn't realize the importance of it.

Because you are an adult which can be held responsible, while their are kids.

They are minors, can not be fined.

Parents can be fined if they ever show up in police station.

IF they do show up, they happily claim NOT to have the money.

End result is nothing and even if parents cough up 500 baht, kids will be doing same thing tomorrow.

Because it is how it is, i will not even bother reading the rest of your philosophical debates of what should, could or would.

It is what it is, deal with it

• Like 1

Just impound the bike, then the family will find the money! After one month, then auction off the bike, if fine is not paid. Of course maybe if a car crusher was brought to the school, it might impress some of the kids, or their parents.

• Like 1

When I get a fine from a policeman, I will have to pay, and I've never seen him spending more than 15 minutes on it, let stand half a day. Why would that be different with a student.

My sons uncle almost died 10 years ago because he fell of a motorbike and wasn't wearing a helmet. For 2 months he was a zombie and didn't speak a word. Luckily he recovered. as he was only 9 years old at the time of the accident.

These days that boys mother, my sons grandmother, is taking my son to the school by motorbike, and she doesn't give a dam_n if he wear a helmet or not. I bought him a decent helmet and check frequently if he wear it.

When I discover that he didn't wear it one day, as was the case a few weeks ago, I shout the grandmother a skin full that the whole village can hear it.

I don't care that she loses face and hates me for it. It is to me beyond comprehension that her son almost died for not wearing a helmet, and still doesn't realize the importance of it.

End result is nothing and even if parents cough up 500 baht, kids will be doing same thing tomorrow.

Because it is how it is, i will not even bother reading the rest of your philosophical debates of what should, could or would.

All bike drivers, including minors, can be issued a ticket. The cop could take the bike ignition key, and hold it until someone returns to show the fine has been paid. He can also call for a bike pick-up, send the bike to the impound, if the fine is not paid when he decides to leave his post, just like the do on beach road for illegally parked bikes.

• Like 2

Minors can not be fined in Thailand ? You just made that up as you go or what cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

So next time I get a ticket I just show up at the police station and say no money, and that's the end of the story ?

Just a wild guess but I think they will confiscate my bike, which they actually do right at the moment when they give me the ticket, and I will not get it back until I have paid that lousy 500 Baht.

What's the difference with the students and their parents ?

They can confiscate that bike also, and if the pay and do the same offense again, fine them again. Guess who's gonna get tired of that first.

I suggest you change your username to Whoisyourapologist, that would suit you fine.

Will let you cheesy.gif in your own drivel,

Clearly you not capable of comprehending local ways, nor do you have a clue about how things work here.

So keep oncheesy.gif

Minors can not be fined in Thailand ? You just made that up as you go or what cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

So next time I get a ticket I just show up at the police station and say no money, and that's the end of the story ?

Just a wild guess but I think they will confiscate my bike, which they actually do right at the moment when they give me the ticket, and I will not get it back until I have paid that lousy 500 Baht.

What's the difference with the students and their parents ?

They can confiscate that bike also, and if the pay and do the same offense again, fine them again. Guess who's gonna get tired of that first.

I suggest you change your username to Whoisyourapologist, that would suit you fine.

Will let you cheesy.gif in your own drivel,

Clearly you not capable of comprehending local ways, nor do you have a clue about how things work here.

So keep oncheesy.gif

That is just the whole point of this thread.

The local ways DON"T work, and that is very obvious from the huge traffic fatalities in this country. It's not for nothing Thailand is still fourth world.

Edited by JesseFrank
  • Like 2

Better than when? I've been here 5 years and if anything I'd say the levels of road lawlessness and craziness have got worse.

5 years wow!

You really remember the good old days.

5 years wow!

I don't know exactly what your point is, does 5 years mean I know sh*t about what's going on here and I can't make a comparison between when I first came and now. Go back 20 years and there probably wasn't much of a problem with road users here, but I'm sure someone with your unlimited experience will be able to tell me.

Nobody cares.

Get it !!

If anybody did care this madness would not happen.

An earlier post stated 3 schoolgirls riding 1 bike at 50-60 kph missing car after car laughing their heads off. Common occurrence. When you have to deal with this mentality, the message is very clear.

"Brainless Idiots"

And this mentality is everywhere.

Is it any wonder Thailand is 3rd in the league table of road fatalities.

That is exactly right, nobody cares.

Just think, you get pulled over and driving without a license, you pay the fine and can keep on driving

You get pulled over for driving without rego or expired rego, you pay the fine and keep on driving

You get pulled over for drink driving, if unlucky, get locked up for 1-2 days, then off to court, pay 2000 baht fine and keep on driving.

That is how it is, that is how its been and that is how it is going to stay until god knows when.

5 years wow!

I don't know exactly what your point is, does 5 years mean I know sh*t about what's going on here and I can't make a comparison between when I first came and now. Go back 20 years and there probably wasn't much of a problem with road users here, but I'm sure someone with your unlimited experience will be able to tell me.

20 years ago no problem with road users ?

I remember sitting around that time at a bar on third road, which was still a small rural road with big curves at that time, and at one time right outside the bar a tourist bus drives over a motorcyclist instantly killing him. The bus continued its way as if nothing had happened, but the bar owner had been able to write down the license number.

Meat truck and police showed up on the scene and the bar owner went to them to give them the information. The policeman looked at him and without saying a word made a hand sign that clearly said that he wasn't interested in the guys presence.

5 years wow!

20 years ago no problem with road users ?

I remember sitting around that time at a bar on third road, which was still a small rural road with big curves at that time, and at one time right outside the bar a tourist bus drives over a motorcyclist instantly killing him. The bus continued its way as if nothing had happened, but the bar owner had been able to write down the license number.

Meat truck and police showed up on the scene and the bar owner went to them to give them the information. The policeman looked at him and without saying a word made a hand sign that clearly said that he wasn't interested in the guys presence.

I said "wasn't much of a problem", and you quoting one incident doesn't mean that the road fatalities then were in the league that they are today. The sheer numbers of road users in Pattaya must be tenfold what they were 20 years ago.

I didn't wear A helmet when I was young.I don't wear A helmet now when I go to places where it's not mandatory.

I always wear gloves,boots,long pants,long sleeve shirt.If your going at A high rate of speed and you hit a brick wall ya either die,or you'll be in A coma the rest of your life.I'm over 60 never had A major motorcycle accident.Theres many places in Thailand I won't ride.It's suicide.

• Like 1

Nobody cares.

Get it !!

If anybody did care this madness would not happen.

An earlier post stated 3 schoolgirls riding 1 bike at 50-60 kph missing car after car laughing their heads off. Common occurrence. When you have to deal with this mentality, the message is very clear.

"Brainless Idiots"

And this mentality is everywhere.

Is it any wonder Thailand is 3rd in the league table of road fatalities.

That is exactly right, nobody cares.

Just think, you get pulled over and driving without a license, you pay the fine and can keep on driving

You get pulled over for driving without rego or expired rego, you pay the fine and keep on driving

You get pulled over for drink driving, if unlucky, get locked up for 1-2 days, then off to court, pay 2000 baht fine and keep on driving.

That is how it is, that is how its been and that is how it is going to stay until god knows when.

As a guest in The Kingdom and LOS, I wish to integrate into a Thai way of life.wink.png

• Like 1

Few years ago there was a bad accident as a couple of students left a local school. One died the other crippled for life.

Neither was wearing a helmet.

The police enforced helmet wearing after that for students for about a week.

After that it seemed to be forgotten about and most chose to stop wearing helmets.

Everyone turn left while it is red even if this is only alowed in very few crossings where there is a specific sign saying you can do this.

I think you got this wrong. That specific sign means you are not allowed to turn left until there is a green light.

So in most crossings without that sign you can turn left.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by balo

Everyone turn left while it is red even if this is only alowed in very few crossings where there is a specific sign saying you can do this.

I think you got this wrong. That specific sign means you are not allowed to turn left until there is a green light.

So in most crossings without that sign you can turn left.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I know I'm right.

In Thailand you are only allowed to turn left on red light when there is a blue rectangular sign with a white left pointing arrow. This used to be easy until a few years ago when a number of confusing signs appeared saying TURN LEFT WAITING LIGHT.

Now you have crossings with these new signs sayng to wait, the old, still official signs saying that you can turn and crossings with no sign.

The law still stand, No blue sign with white arrow means no left turn on red light.