My 6 month conclusions on Thailand (and the women)

Scarpolo

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI, nothing has changed in the past 6 months in the USA, save the weather

Well there was ice and snow on my car this morning,

90 degrees in bangkok,

20 degrees here,

not what I had in mind,

but tomorrow 40 degrees

I can deal with it,

but lord have mercy,

the fattest women in the USA have to be in Wisconsin

Good Luck and hope you come back one day , the fat girls are fat because Wisconsin is the cheese state ..great tasting cheese there

kevvy

There will be more to the story, as the girl I left behind, has more interest in continuing.

Thanks for the cheers.

Nothing but a lot of unloading, and reshuffling the chairs as I return to a life I thought I had finished.

And yes, Wisc puts cheese on everything.

it was 18 degrees the day I went downtown, the lake frozen.

I actually felt my lips get all their moisture pulled right out of them, and my face and nose froze.

The trip south got gradually warmer until I was driving in a tee shirt getting out to refuel, and not being cold.

Edited by Scarpolo

I agree that speaking Thai fluently is a big advantage, But I've been here several decades and only know few a Westerners who do. Otherwise, how many Thai women of any age have any real insights into foreign music, literature or Greek mythology? Very, very few.

1. i have never met a farang who speaks thai fluently.

2. i have never even met a thai who knows the basics of SE-asia (neighbouring countries). about their own country they'll know the classic propaganda stuff and the obligatory waterfall in some changwat. about the rest of the world they know the silly stereotypes (from hearing, from movies).... i'm not saying thai people have no extra-value on other levels but intellectual input/output is quasi NIHIL. many thai have never been out of the country, their village is the epicentre of the world. and if u have ever watched national geographic in thai ... well say no more.

I agree that speaking Thai fluently is a big advantage, But I've been here several decades and only know few a Westerners who do. Otherwise, how many Thai women of any age have any real insights into foreign music, literature or Greek mythology? Very, very few.

2. i have never even met a thai who knows the basics of SE-asia (neighbouring countries). about their own country they'll know the classic propaganda stuff and the obligatory waterfall in some changwat. about the rest of the world they know the silly stereotypes (from hearing, from movies).... i'm not saying thai people have no extra-value on other levels but intellectual input/output is quasi NIHIL. many thai have never been out of the country, their village is the epicentre of the world. and if u have ever watched national geographic in thai ... well say no more.

The girl I was with was afraid to come to the USA with me, because one of her friends cautioned that she might be "sold" by me and never seen again. I guess that happens, but.....sheesh, these girls went to college and they still worry about that?

not to mention, I would have to go with her to get the Visa and show my face to the US Embassy!

Edited by Scarpolo

On which levels thais can give extra input according to you ?

Per capita,

many Americans never leave their country either.

not sure what point was being made?

and villages?

I went thru rural Georgia yesterday. I didnt know such places still existed in the USA,

I have a feeling there is much about the US I do now know

Some interesting observations there mate. Hope you enjoy your return home.

Thanks.

So far, it is a deja vu, and being snapped back to reality, or sorts

Putting the bedrooms back together from the Uhaul, doesnt make it a homecoming. It is work for now.

Tiring is the word, but the weather is great here,

Right Now
Earlier Today
Tonight
27.png
30.png
26.png
75°F
FEELS LIKE 75°
83°
HIGH AT 12:25 PM
74°
LOW
Mostly Cloudy
Partly Cloudy
Cloudy
Past 24-hr Precip:
0 in
Chance of Rain
20%

kitchen + enjoyment level

think: 16 people in a pickup off for picknick, drinking beer at 8am, eating delicious food for 7 hours non-stop.

most westerners have forgotten (or never known) the art of simple enjoyment of the moment...

• Like 1

We have True Visions and watch a lot of international travel shows in Thai and subtitled in Thai. What is your point?

Most of the Thai people I know are knowledgeable about other countries, foreign music and literature. I find these comments strange and really more of a reflection on the type of people that some Westerners mix with in Thailand.

I could tell you that the vast majority of Westerners in Thailand that I have met were hardly what I would describe as intellectually stimulating but then I did meet most of them in bars so you could reasonably throw the same accusation back at me. I think some posters vastly overestimate the intelligence of the average foreigner who settles in Thailand. I'm quite sure that most of them have no real insights into Greek mythology either.

Edited by inthepink

We have True Visions and watch a lot of international travel shows in Thai and subtitled in Thai. What is your point?

my point is:

"we" can watch whatever "we" wants but that doesn't mean "we" becomes an intellectual highlight.

no offense, but i have never met an intellectually challenging thai sofar. and i'm not living in some remote rural place. most thai people i know are educated but utterly unworldly. like you pointed out yourself they "know" stuff from TV or from hearing/repeating simplified generalizations...

the few thai i know who went to europe like to tell the less fortunate thai how expensive stuff is over there (100 thb for a glass of water, 5000 thb for basic hotel room, 600 thb for somtam, etc) but they don't know/understand/explain the context: eg. labour costs, VAT, income tax, social security costs, permits/licences, kafka/regulations, etc). if i tell them that for every 100thb i used to earn back home i had to pay +/- 60thb to the state they short circuit.

also, i have never met a thai who went to europe (nor seen a travel show) that pointed out that a can of beer in the supermarket is cheaper than it is here in the supermarket. or that rice in the supermarkt is the +/- same price as it is here. most vegetables are the same price too. cooking your own meal at home is not expensive, most farang don't eat in restaurants every day. etc etc. most thai relate FARANG to expensive (pèèèèèng) and rich (l/rouai). nevertheless i keep clarifying reality to my friends here. too many fables are kept alive by stakeholders and braggarts...

ps. here's a tip for your true vision educational/intellectual half hour: a documentary why many (not all) farang have a girlfriend/wife who is darker skinned. it's not because FARANG CHORP DAM (the myth the myth!) as so many thai like to believe/proclaim. it's because farang don't look down on DAM, don't think DAM means low/poor and because many DAM women are available because their bf's/husbands left them after they got pregnant.

How many hot bods you seen today ?

Dun lie now...

I havent seen one pretty well proportioned female, since I was in SF at the rock club.

I have seen some grotesquely over weight people on my trip south to florida.

Went thru rural GA, that was interesting

I have to say America is a beautiful country , especially in the autumn(fall) the colour of the trees is amazing . Also just to ask something you should spell the state out as alot of people dont know the abbreviation of them . E.G Iowa =I.A

Most of the Thai people I know are knowledgeable about other countries, foreign music and literature. I find these comments strange and really more of a reflection on the type of people that some Westerners mix with in Thailand.

I could tell you that the vast majority of Westerners in Thailand that I have met were hardly what I would describe as intellectually stimulating but then I did meet most of them in bars so you could reasonably throw the same accusation back at me. I think some posters vastly overestimate the intelligence of the average foreigner who settles in Thailand. I'm quite sure that most of them have no real insights into Greek mythology either.

alas, cannot agree with part 1. again, i'm not a basher at all. i love thai people for their many OTHER talents and gifts though. i'm not living in bkk nor in the bush but in lowkey provincial capital. the people i hang out with are nearly all middle class but not intellectually stimulating.

agreed with part 2 but this topic is NOT about foreigners but thai.

• Like 1

I tell you something funny about some of the thai girls and their thinking , my good friend was talking to Thai lady and they talked about making love and she said to him "can farang get hard" as she was told by her friends farang men are soft...hehehe

Look , if Thailand made you happy, then come back , maybe to another town as I am sure you can have many friend s here to help you if you need it. I lived in the States for 3 short years and like it , lived in Aus for the rest of my life , then discovered Thailand and I love the place and would never leave .There are many good Thai women here who will love you and look after you .

kevvy

my point is:

"we" can watch whatever "we" wants but that doesn't mean "we" becomes an intellectual highlight.

no offense, but i have never met an intellectually challenging thai sofar. and i'm not living in some remote rural place. most thai people i know are educated but utterly unworldly. like you pointed out yourself they "know" stuff from TV or from hearing/repeating simplified generalizations...

the few thai i know who went to europe like to tell the less fortunate thai how expensive stuff is over there (100 thb for a glass of water, 5000 thb for basic hotel room, 600 thb for somtam, etc) but they don't know/understand/explain the context: eg. labour costs, VAT, income tax, social security costs, permits/licences, kafka/regulations, etc). if i tell them that for every 100thb i used to earn back home i had to pay +/- 60thb to the state they short circuit.

also, i have never met a thai who went to europe (nor seen a travel show) that pointed out that a can of beer in the supermarket is cheaper than it is here in the supermarket. or that rice in the supermarkt is the +/- same price as it is here. most vegetables are the same price too. cooking your own meal at home is not expensive, most farang don't eat in restaurants every day. etc etc. most thai relate FARANG to expensive (pèèèèèng) and rich (l/rouai). nevertheless i keep clarifying reality to my friends here. too many fables are kept alive by stakeholders and braggarts...

ps. here's a tip for your true vision educational/intellectual half hour: a documentary why many (not all) farang have a girlfriend/wife who is darker skinned. it's not because FARANG CHORP DAM (the myth the myth!) as so many thai like to believe/proclaim. it's because farang don't look down on DAM, don't think DAM means low/poor and because many DAM women are available because their bf's/husbands left them after they got pregnant.

Whats DAM mean?

Dun lie now...

I havent seen one pretty well proportioned female, since I was in SF at the rock club.

I have to say America is a beautiful country , especially in the autumn(fall) the colour of the trees is amazing . Also just to ask something you should spell the state out as alot of people dont know the abbreviation of them . E.G Iowa =I.A

What I didnt know,

US 1 runs through Georgia, but I never saw it before up there.

It is completeyl rural.

I am settling in and resting, but, I am not sure about a lot of things at the moment,

I am taking it slow,

I know what thai life for me is like, and, I am better off here, and visiting Thailand, for long excursions.

Thinking that through now in fact

• Like 1

alas, cannot agree with part 1. again, i'm not a basher at all. i love thai people for their many OTHER talents and gifts though. i'm not living in bkk nor in the bush but in lowkey provincial capital. the people i hang out with are nearly all middle class but not intellectually stimulating.

I'm not sure how you cannot agree that the Thai people I know are knowledgeable about other countries etc?

Edited by inthepink

Some interesting observations there mate. Hope you enjoy your return home.

Thanks.

So far, it is a deja vu, and being snapped back to reality, or sorts

Putting the bedrooms back together from the Uhaul, doesnt make it a homecoming. It is work for now.

Tiring is the word, but the weather is great here,

Right Now
Earlier Today
Tonight
27.png
30.png
26.png
75°F
FEELS LIKE 75°
83°
HIGH AT 12:25 PM
74°
LOW
Mostly Cloudy
Partly Cloudy
Cloudy
Past 24-hr Precip:
0 in
Chance of Rain
20%

Did you ever get up to Chiang Rai , the weather up there is great.Cool winter and great days . And the locals are so friendly .

I tell you something funny about some of the thai girls and their thinking , my good friend was talking to Thai lady and they talked about making love and she said to him "can farang get hard" as she was told by her friends farang men are soft...hehehe

heard this too, from male friends; we have BIGGER but SOFT. they have SMALLER but ROCKHARD.

oh well, that's what u get when most farang men here are long OVER their sexual peak but think they da man ;-)

I'm not sure how you cannot agree that the Thai people I know are knowledgeable about other countries etc?

When exactly does intellectually stimulating make its arrival known in a bar setting?

Isn't stimulating the other senses, why everyone is there, trying to meet in the first place?

Dun lie now...

What I didnt know,

US 1 runs through Georgia, but I never saw it before up there.

It is completeyl rural.

I am settling in and resting, but, I am not sure about a lot of things at the moment,

I am taking it slow,

I know what thai life for me is like, and, I am better off here, and visiting Thailand, for long excursions.

Thinking that through now in fact

I saw 36 states while I was there and I like southern Illinios and Kentucky .The little towns were amazing, and they loved the Aussie accent . Well I am sure you will find your happiness somewhere and I really wish you good fortune in your life. You will find it soon . Cheers mate ....Ya'll come back now

heard this too, from male friends; we have BIGGER but SOFT. they have SMALLER but ROCKHARD.

oh well, that's what u get when most farang men here are long OVER their sexual peak but think they da man ;-)

Alcohol usage plays a role too,

less alcohol, moe senses and stronger blood flow.

When exactly does intellectually stimulating make its arrival known in a bar setting?

Isn't stimulating the other senses, why everyone is there, trying to meet in the first place?

I often used to have intellectually stimulating conversations In UK pubs. I have had one or two here but generally speaking, the quality of the people I have met in Thailand (in bars) is far lower than those I met at home. I'm aware that I am generalising and perhaps not looking in the best places for intelligent conversation, which is why I qualified my statement.

Regarding Thai people, if I can meet Thais that are able to hold a conversation about global politics, art, music and literature, I can't see why other posters can't. I'm not trying to be obtuse, just stating a fact.

i cannot agree with: I find these comments a reflection on the type of people that some Westerners mix with in Thailand.

u imply that i mix with the wrong people. i try to mix/communicate with all levels.

anyway, let's agree that knowledge is subjective as is intellectual stimulation.

peace.

What is over the peak? I am nearly 60 and more active now than when I was when I was 30... I think it has something to do with the way you are treated .

I know alot of the American women and Aussie women should come over here an look how to treat their men. That is the biggest difference I have seen .

i cannot agree with: I find these comments a reflection on the type of people that some Westerners mix with in Thailand.

u imply that i mix with the wrong people. i try to mix/communicate with all levels.

anyway, let's agree that knowledge is subjective as is intellectual stimulation.

peace.

i didn't mean to imply that they were the "wrong" people, just that your knowledge is based on the people you meet, as is mine. Which is what you just said anyway! Cheers

Edited by inthepink

What is over the peak? I am nearly 60 and more active now than when I was when I was 30... I think it has something to do with the way you are treated .

I know alot of the American women and Aussie women should come over here an look how to treat their men. That is the biggest difference I have seen .

FWIW,

intellectual conversations are not sought, as they may be nothing more than two people expressing opinions

trying to justify their position,

spiritual conversations are what I seek with a partner,

I dont caree much about history, or fiction, preferring to the cosmos

speaking of the cosmos,

expect earthquaking this weekend

this guy did a warning a few hours ago

and Los Angeles just got hit with a 5.1

everyone I know out there, felt it

Edited by Scarpolo