My 6 month conclusions on Thailand (and the women)

Scarpolo

'11) all girls want to be loved, whether they be thai or martian, and all they want is honesty, which I have no problem with'

But please be careful with the GREEN Martians, they bite!

Honesty???? Consider yourself lucky. I guess it depends on what you are referring to, because i find that lying is a deeply embedded part of the culture due to face saving etc...And taking or using something because it is lying around is common place no matter who bought it.

Otherwise an excellent review, thanks, i do enjoy Thailand very much but i also enjoy venting and ranting on tv too to get stuff off my chest!

My apologies.

A very astute and poignant point you make about their cultural lying, I should clarify,

Lying "IS" a part of their culture, no doubt,

She lies to ALL her friends and family, except her mother, about her job.

She lies to men she would ordinarily want to date that she doesn't like them, when she clearly does, and they must know it, because she doesn't want them to discover, again, her job.

As a result, I found myself in a very strange situation where, I know she lies to everyone she knows about who and what she is,

So, naturally, I was over guarded to lying, and to my strange surprise, found her completely honest with me, about every part of our relationship which has also become a very good friendship, (neither of which I feel I had in the end with my two wives)

And it was this reality that caused both of us difficulty as,

1) I didn't trust her at all

2) she was offended that I didn't trust her

But she opened her entire life to me, and I have been living in her home,

at no time has she ever left me here alone to go anywhere, (exception: a birthday party for one of her best friends which she texted me pictures of while it was ongoing, and came home without having anything to drink due to their road closures here)

And I found in the end a girl completely open and honest about her feelings, values and belief's, which caused a realtionship to occur,

We are talking about a girl in the sex trade, who grew up without a father, and has seen the worst in men,

Expecting honesty and trust, was difficult for me to imagine she could offer,

And it came slowly....her trust of me, that is

Yep, very lucky indeed, or deluded wub.png (none of us are really completely honest with OURSELVES)

My take is, her English and/or your Thai must be excellent.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what is the girl going to do when you leave? She has no money.

She will do what most girls do this time of year,

go home and celebrate the new year,

visit her family and

contemplate her life, and her future, with or without me....

since I won't be here at least the next few months, it will be without me, and my support, and as, I may not come back at all..

sometime in the next few months, she will either enter the non sex trade world, and try to get back into the clothing business which she did before her brothers wife absconded with the profits, or some other work which will lead her back to a more socially acceptable place in her friends world,

a person exposed to the light,

is never the same when they again see the darkness

she is a grown woman and will make her own choices,

which is why she is in that business to begin with

I suspect, she will wait a month or two to see if I am returning,

and when she is broke, she will go back to work,

she has managed to compartmentalize it as just her job, and has not mixed worlds, to mean, she doesnt socialize with, or participate in outside work, or other activities with her co workers because she doesnt feel safe, has been offered numerous times to be a second or a third, and to go to "parties" thrown by men with the other girls, and always declines. These girls have a certain power over men in their work environment, as, if anyone gets out of line, or tries something she doesn't like, she can safely say no, and if it escalates, I imagine in that world, the man gets a severe bruising, if allowed to walk out at all. She has a keen appreciation for this fact of that world, and won't risk her safety or her health, outside the boundaries she has established.

She has managed her "career" and kept it another part of her life,

I am told, this is common here.

In the USA this would probably called a dissociative personality disorder,

in Thailand, it is simply, their way of life

you very entertaining. Idiotic but entertaining.

Its good thing she met you...........................lol. Did you meet her in a SESSION? lol!

A paid for house and car but no money doesnt make sense. Is it because of the clothing store theft?

Edited by choochoo

Let me correct/clarify one thing, i don't think what we call lying is even considered a lie here.

I think they look it from a completely different angle as socially acceptable and appropriate responses.

My/our western take and perspective is just that, from the outside looking in.

Even after a looooong time.

Some things i am still NOT used to or comfortable with and might take me forever. tongue.png

but that's just me

Edited by infinity11

Why do you sign off as '<deleted>' ??

Should learn not to put yourself down so much in public.

I was replying directly to beachfront property, who, cannot help but argue with the ether.

apparently, no one else wants to talk to him in real life, so he comes here to attempt to justify the patheticness of his existence, by putting down the thoughts of others; rather than just hit NEXT

AND if you read responses correctly....you's realize that you referred to YOURSELF as a "<deleted>" .....which I accepted.

And If you really were responding "directly" to my posts you would have indicated why you make less than $2000 month and initially were looking for a guesthouse in Chiang Mai (although you think me "foolish" for building 5 units on the beach).

I have NOT attacked you personally other than to point out what you have posted and how I find it inconsistent ....for example....in the beginning you posted your observations of being 6 months in Thailand ...OK ...I only pointed out that your OP indicated a frustration with getting visa ...my response ...get a retirement visa....your response ....I don't make $2000 a month ...OK fine but don't go on about gold and how much money you make and so on ...BS.....And then in you OP you thought it was unusual and not right that the children here should take care of their parents....I just pointed out this is Thailand and the system of family taking care of family is better than in the US where the old are discarded to Retirement Homes....you don't think so....OK so what...your entitled to your opinion as I am mine.

THEN your post denigrated into a self sponsorship of how great you are, how your a sensitive artist (who by the way apparently you stole ideas from your wife..your words not mine), a financial wizard for 30 years (although you refer to yourself as a "cab driver" and "hells angel") AND doing some rich prostitute a favor by educating her and showing her the "light"

COME ON....get real! But I have to admit I find your writing style amusing and your delusions funny .....

So as always......SEE YAH...BYE!cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Your interpretations of simple english, are similar to my last wife who was brazilian, but raised in english school with an english father and french mother; you hear what you want to hear, rather than listen,

at 54, it is too hard to imagine the same person at 19 driving a cab?

it also is bewildering to you, that I would be interested in buying an already built structure with an existing clientele, albeit in distress due to loans, ort any number of reasons as to why properties become "distressed" like yours perhaps, in a few years?

that others can be more intelligent than you, or close to your intelligence, or may I hazard a stab, slightly below your infinite wisom level,

is something you cannot comprehend?

frankly, I find more sense coming from the lips of a drunken chaing mai bar girl, than I do your "logic"

Bringing the Hells Angels into this is completely irrelevant and I actually felt for the OP until he mentioned this.

Reason I say is just because you're an associate of a biker/bikie gang doesn't mean shit. You know someone in a gang? So what? You're not a patched member. The people who are into it don't talk. Nor do they have money issues. And I'm not saying how I know this.

OP I actually have nothing against you and I really do hope things work out for you back home. Even better if you ever come back to Thailand, pm me and we'll catch up for a beer, my shout.

Edited by heist666
  • Like 1

So what is the girl going to do when you leave? She has no money.

She will do what most girls do this time of year,

go home and celebrate the new year,

visit her family and

contemplate her life, and her future, with or without me....

since I won't be here at least the next few months, it will be without me, and my support, and as, I may not come back at all..

sometime in the next few months, she will either enter the non sex trade world, and try to get back into the clothing business which she did before her brothers wife absconded with the profits, or some other work which will lead her back to a more socially acceptable place in her friends world,

a person exposed to the light,

is never the same when they again see the darkness

she is a grown woman and will make her own choices,

which is why she is in that business to begin with

I suspect, she will wait a month or two to see if I am returning,

and when she is broke, she will go back to work,

she has managed to compartmentalize it as just her job, and has not mixed worlds, to mean, she doesnt socialize with, or participate in outside work, or other activities with her co workers because she doesnt feel safe, has been offered numerous times to be a second or a third, and to go to "parties" thrown by men with the other girls, and always declines. These girls have a certain power over men in their work environment, as, if anyone gets out of line, or tries something she doesn't like, she can safely say no, and if it escalates, I imagine in that world, the man gets a severe bruising, if allowed to walk out at all. She has a keen appreciation for this fact of that world, and won't risk her safety or her health, outside the boundaries she has established.

She has managed her "career" and kept it another part of her life,

I am told, this is common here.

In the USA this would probably called a dissociative personality disorder,

in Thailand, it is simply, their way of life

you very entertaining. Idiotic but entertaining.

Its good thing she met you...........................lol. Did you meet her in a SESSION? lol!

A paid for house and car but no money doesnt make sense. Is it because of the clothing store theft?

How many americans do you see that have any money left after their mortgage is paid and they have fed themselves?

the car is paid for, the house is mortgaged,

the reason she had no money when we met is because her family had just got done fleecing her for a ten day vacation where no one lifted a finger to pay for anything, and there were ten of them.

my response to beachfront property, is, clear; these girls, with their obligations to family, and their willingness to sacrifice themselves, their happiness and their bodies to pay back their mothers, for <deleted> their fathers and causing the mother to incur the responsbility of those babies she bred,

is slavery,

that he hasnt been hit hard yet, is a matter of lottery, but one day, his number will be up, and he will be asked to pay for something he didnt anticipate

she makes 150,000 baht a month, thats a lot of money to her, and a forture to her family,

that she has to be a whore to do it, doessnt phase her mother?

this is not a family, you marry in to,

but it is apparently quite common here in thailand

I feel sorry for them, but understand them completely, which is why I state, it is doubtful I return.

I leave on a high note and have oent up demand for my time in the states,

I look forward to being back home, and I will look back on this as a great trip to the "orient"

not unlike what kids do after leaving college,

but, I cannot have more effect on this girls life without crossing the line into the falange abyss, and I wont cross it

I was replying directly to beachfront property, who, cannot help but argue with the ether.

apparently, no one else wants to talk to him in real life, so he comes here to attempt to justify the patheticness of his existence, by putting down the thoughts of others; rather than just hit NEXT

AND if you read responses correctly....you's realize that you referred to YOURSELF as a "<deleted>" .....which I accepted.

And If you really were responding "directly" to my posts you would have indicated why you make less than $2000 month and initially were looking for a guesthouse in Chiang Mai (although you think me "foolish" for building 5 units on the beach).

I have NOT attacked you personally other than to point out what you have posted and how I find it inconsistent ....for example....in the beginning you posted your observations of being 6 months in Thailand ...OK ...I only pointed out that your OP indicated a frustration with getting visa ...my response ...get a retirement visa....your response ....I don't make $2000 a month ...OK fine but don't go on about gold and how much money you make and so on ...BS.....And then in you OP you thought it was unusual and not right that the children here should take care of their parents....I just pointed out this is Thailand and the system of family taking care of family is better than in the US where the old are discarded to Retirement Homes....you don't think so....OK so what...your entitled to your opinion as I am mine.

THEN your post denigrated into a self sponsorship of how great you are, how your a sensitive artist (who by the way apparently you stole ideas from your wife..your words not mine), a financial wizard for 30 years (although you refer to yourself as a "cab driver" and "hells angel") AND doing some rich prostitute a favor by educating her and showing her the "light"

COME ON....get real! But I have to admit I find your writing style amusing and your delusions funny .....

Your interpretations of simple english, are similar to my last wife who was brazilian, but raised in english school with an english father and french mother; you hear what you want to hear, rather than listen,

it also is bewildering to you, that I would be interested in buying an already built structure with an existing clientele, albeit in distress due to loans, ort any number of reasons as to why properties become "distressed" like yours perhaps, in a few years?

that others can be more intelligent than you, or close to your intelligence, or may I hazard a stab, slightly below your infinite wisom level,

frankly, I find more sense coming from the lips of a drunken chaing mai bar girl, than I do your "logic"

As they say in Long Island (NOT NYC)....you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it.

As for building NEW as opposed to distressed....you haven't been in Thailand long so you can be excused.

I have built (or should say....had built for me by a close Thai friend) 3 homes prior to this ....Made money on all ...and good money as the build out to western standards cost about $20 a square foot ......I realize you know NOTHING about building so buying a distressed building sounds good but its a problem .... there are TOO many unknowns (most importantly the foundation!)

As for building things in Thailand ....well ...yes I'm bored so designing the building and supervising the construction keeps me busy ....I enjoy it ...kinda of a hobby.

This latest project will provide work and income for my family when I'm gone (ie die).....so excuse my if I not only educate (of which I have post doctoral degrees) my family but provide for them (apparently something your proud you did not do for your girlfriend)

See you still haven't responded to your lack of income.....guess that says it ALL

Bringing the Hells Angels into this is completely irrelevant and I actually felt for the OP until he mentioned this.

Reason I say is just because you're an associate of a biker/bikie gang doesn't mean shit. You know someone in a gang? So what? You're not a patched member. The people who are into it don't talk. Nor do they have money issues. And I'm not saying how I know this.

OP I actually have nothing against you and I really do hope things work out for you back home. Even better if you ever come back to Thailand, pm me and we'll catch up for a beer, my shout.

Not an actual reference, but an "inference" so that beachfront will consider some of his stupidity, every time he hears a bike pull up.

I can't say that I will return here,

I think I put in an honest journeymans wage, and don't feel it is worthwhile to return,

I may have mentioned, I live in florida, for half of what it is costing me here, because I want to live a certain way,.

my life is better there, and I have band mates who want me back already,

I also have my entire family there, kids parents as well as business interests

this was a good break from all that, but to continue it?

I didnt enjoy it enough to want more, other than the girl,

and, the timing is right.

I am retired a long time, but in order to continue that, in the fashion I am accustomed, it requires "maintenance"

I may return for a months visit,

and then go back to florida again,

this way, the girlfriend can continue her life, and if I return, she can have another extended holiday with someone she trusts,

this girl trusts almost no one,

so, I am happy I am one

• Like 1

As they say in Long Island (NOT NYC)....you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it.

As for building NEW as opposed to distressed....you haven't been in Thailand long so you can be excused.

I have built (or should say....had built for me by a close Thai friend) 3 homes prior to this ....Made money on all ...and good money as the build out to western standards cost about $20 a square foot ......I realize you know NOTHING about building so buying a distressed building sounds good but its a problem .... there are TOO many unknowns (most importantly the foundation!)

As for building things in Thailand ....well ...yes I'm bored so designing the building and supervising the construction keeps me busy ....I enjoy it ...kinda of a hobby.

This latest project will provide work and income for my family when I'm gone (ie die).....so excuse my if I not only educate (of which I have post doctoral degrees) my family but provide for them (apparently something your proud you did not do for your girlfriend)

See you still haven't responded to your lack of income.....guess that says it ALL

Warren Buffet doesnt have income either

Capital gains are taxed at 20%,

why would I want income, which is taxed at 45%, plus??

Its a numbers game, and I play the game,

it is not considered income, and I wont bank here,

that should be simple,

I have done the same as you with real estate in the states for my children,

that I do not do the same for a girl I met in thailand, who will be back in her chosen profession within weeks of my departure from her life,

cannot possibly considered fool hardy,

I did buy a larger fridge a hot water heater and a dinette set to eat outside though, and a few small furniture pieces for her bedroom and cabinets for her kitchen to help complete her house, but this is her house, not mine, her life, not mine, and I am not Thai, which means I will never be fully incorporated into her life here, and as of now, she doesnt want to travel to the States, so, this is the proverbial "end of the line"

she is going back to her thai life (mostly of misery and loneliness, screwing guys she mostly disdains ansd crying herself to sleep)

and I am going back to mine, which was fine.

I only came here for a 10 day visit, with two pair of jeans, three tee shirts, a guitar and 2 pair of shoes and a leather jacket.

I didnt expect to stay here, and would have left had we not met, and yes, to the poster who doesnt know this, we met "in session"

my friend whom I came to visit thought that I shouldnt return the states without going for at least one soapy, so I did, and that was 5 months ago

all is fair,

she doesnt feel cheated and neither do I

she has benefitted in many ways other than financial and furnishings, and so have I, greatly in fact.

these girls know far more about love, than many I had met before,

I am grateful

so is she

what more can anyone ask?

Edited by Scarpolo

Time to hug it out now boys..good reading though.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Beachfront wasnt being necessarily offensive,

just not fully grasping my situation

writing style intersecting with subjective reasoning with a dash of different experience

that said,

I have ignored the fact the the girl I have been with since Nov. was a sex worker for the past 7 years, on and off

and have instead focussed on the present,

what happened before is insignificant, but did serve to teach me several lessons which apparently, I needed to learn and have taken those lessons,

she also taught me to respect more genuinely, those less fortunate than myself, or others, and to be more understanding of people, both male and female, who are "working"

in the past, I will admit freely, I wouldnt have ever taken a girl like this seriously, and I even question what seriously means,

but there was something about her which cajoled me further, into the depths of her being, and once there, I found what I didnt expect, a wholesome girl on the inside, who is living a life, anything but, on the outside, mostly chasing a dream of happiness while shacked to the demands of her mother....it is still a riddle, and one I know, is not my place to solve......

If she were to tell me tommorow, a day before I leave, that she wants to come to stay with me in the states for a time, she couldnt as she trapped herself into a mortgage,

that said, I know she has talked to brokers to see about selling her house and has been told she is up about 15% on it, and who knows,

I didnt even know she did that at the time, and this was in December while we stayed in Chaing Mai.

I dont know the future, for either of us,

But I do know, my future is not here,

I told her I dont believe she has a future here,

and I most certainly do not believe a child has a future here.

like I said, nobody knows:

Edited by Scarpolo

Time to hug it out now boys..good reading though.

Beachfront wasnt being necessarily offensive,

just not fully grasping my situation

writing style intersecting with subjective reasoning with a dash of different experience

that said,

I have ignored the fact the the girl I have been with since Nov. was a sex worker for the past 7 years, on and off

and have instead focussed on the present,

what happened before is insignificant, but did serve to teach me several lessons which apparently, I needed to learn and have taken those lessons,

she also taught me to respect more genuinely, those less fortunate than myself, or others, and to be more understanding of people, both male and female, who are "working"

in the past, I will admit freely, I wouldnt have ever taken a girl like this seriously, and I even question what seriously means,

but there was something about her which cajoled me further, into the depths of her being, and once there, I found what I didnt expect, a wholesome girl on the inside, who is living a life, anything but....it is still a riddle

don't think your by yourself on this, probably 75% go the lads on here started off the same way! we've all got a story to tell, at the end of the day we all share one thing in common and that's the love we had or have for this country, I know one thing for sure and that's is you will return! probably be looking at flights back before a month, you've got more chance of nailing a blamonge to the ceiling than not coming back here.. Chock dee maak..

• Like 1

As a fellow American (now 58), I appreciate your post. Sounds like you offered to sponsor your tirak to the US. That would be a BIG mistake. Fortunately she said no. Just in case she changes her mind, don't do it! Once she arrives in the US, she will realize how popular she is with all the other American guys - young, rich, white, latin and black! Each time you say NO or she gets bored or angry, she will be at the bar picking up another dude. Your heart will be broken.

Anyway, I don't think you will be able to date American women again. And Asian girls in the US will look right past you as if you are invisible. Therefore, I predict you will be back to the LOS. Chok dee kap...

Edited by risky11
  • Like 1

What I find most remarkable,

is the consistency with which posters are sure of another stab at life for me in thailand,

no matter how many times I profess otherwise,

I would rather the girl come with me,

that is a better outcome, although I know too, that is wrought with known danger

although, I believe I can count on a fierce loyalty from her,

last words spoken, I am sure of the dead

As a fellow American (now 58), I appreciate your post. Sounds like you offered to sponsor your tirak to the US. That would be a BIG mistake. Fortunately she said no. Just in case she changes her mind, don't do it! Once she arrives in the US, she will realize how popular she is with all the other American guys - young, rich, white, latin and black! Each time you say NO or she gets bored or angry, she will be at the bar picking up another dude. Your heart will be broken.

Anyway, I don't think you will be able to date American women again. And Asian girls in the US will look right past you as if you are invisible. Therefore, I predict you will be back to the LOS. Chok dee kap...

I know about this risk, and, in many ways, am glad she said no, for now.

my good friend who brought me here made it clear,

here we are the candy, and they are dime a dozen

there, she is the candy, and we are just the old guy again.

I am in full awake mode

Just don't let them out the house, mine was here for 6 months and she only went out once and that was only because the Ariel fell off the roof..

Sad but true,

A man need only remember Eddie Murphy's "Half" show

But all the fossils keep telling me that age doesn't matter and that girls don't prefer younger guys who are closer to their age???

How can this possibly be????????

But all the fossils keep telling me that age doesn't matter and that girls don't prefer younger guys who are closer to their age???

Girls, maybe, but not "women"

Women, who have been thru the proverbial mill, want security and bettter treatment,

they will not get that from guys their age

just my opinion, and, word for word from the girl i am with,

people seem to object to my calling her a girlfriend,

but that is what she has been,

all the way

Women, who have been thru the proverbial mill, want security and bettter treatment,

all the way

yes.

women prefer a 50+ year old men........

LOL

amazing....

all the way

yes.

LOL

amazing....

what would you prefare, listening to his dulcet tones of him snoring after 2minutes of the horizontal hokey kokey, or walking to the bathroom like John Wayne after he's smashed ya all over the hong nawn..

all the way

yes.

LOL

amazing....

my daughter at age 25, pulled up in a car with a guy 42,

she thought it ok, I didn't pay much attention to it, as she felt safe,

but the guy,

turned freakin white as a ghost

it all depends, on the age of the father, in my opinion

in my case, the father of the girl I am with is in his late 60's, the mother 52

if the father was my age, its a no go

most of the bar girls i no in pattaya are there for one thing money....most will not take a young guy as he can offer nothing...

they say..old man have money..houses pension..take care good...means i can cream him off and take the lot when he is dead..

young boy boom boom to much..drink to much..and no have nothing...why waste time...

and yes many have more than 1 man

I posted a reply very early in this thread, mostly voicing support for the OP. Now after following the thread I still agree with OPs original conclusions (mostly), but based on his follow-ups -- which are often, um, strange -- I gotta wonder how he reached them. Nevertheless, he dodged a bullet when the GF refused to accompany him to the States. As Risky11 says, it would be a HUGE mistake. Once there she'll quickly meet other Thai women (it's like they come out of the woodwork!), the vast majority of whom are ex-bargirls brought over by naive falangs. Not a good crowd to hang out with. She'll want to go to all the parties and celebrate all the Thai holidays with her new friends. It's kind of like what happens with many falangs that come here: they find others of their kind to hang with, bitch about the nationals, try to impose their values on the culture and just generally become pains in the ass.

Of course I'm often full of shit and this may one of those times.

• Like 2

Yes "polluted" by all those other skanky other-naive-guys' wives, because of course mine is different.

Fact is even if your young cutie is sincere, unless you keep her locked up she'll quickly see she's a very hot property surrounded by younger fitter AND wealthier guys - quite likely less manipulative and controlling, more respectful, thoughtful, faithful and sincere - most certainly more SANUK!

The likely outcome is obvious. . .

This thread has become uncomfortable to read the OP starts by giving his opinion after 6 months for me I saw a common ground with many other posters. Now the thread is about his future plan sorted personal and business relationships and quite frankly TMI. Why would I care about any of that personal baggage? TBH it smells of extreme insecurity.

• Like 1