Successful Non B 1 Year at Penang

Last time i used an agent and they got it back at noon so i could make my firefly flight back to Phuket

Great Indian rests on the main road around form Chula street, also some nice places off of Chula.

just walk around

Thank you very much Digital Chromakey. I would like to leave the Embassy with a taxi to the Airport, just trying to sort out times.

I will see if I can convince a taxi to wait for me.

I was thinking of Bayview Hotel, in George town. Seems reasonably priced at 1700 THB.

I am not a party animal but where abouts is the night life, restaurants etc?

I second phuketrichard, Indian food to die for on Chulia Strreet - dirt cheap as well.

My personal favourite is Kapitan's who also do great Dosi for breakfast and the most amazing Tandoori Chicken for lunch and dinner - once ate there three times in one day!

You can also find some interesting Chinese food plus Old George Town is a world heritage site with British East India History and excellent colonial architecture every where.

Thank's for the replies.

I have a question.

When I did the run in KL, I handed the passport to them in the morning 10am and got it back next day 2pm.

Is it the same in Penang?

How long does it take to get from the Embassy to the Airport?

Appreciate any help in this matter,

regards

Apply 09:00-11:30 and collect 14:00 to 16:00 next working day (closed Sat/Sun and Thai/Malay public holidays).

Consulate is way out in a very quiet residential area, if you can persuade a taxi to wait for you, then you are looking at maybe around an hour to get to the airport.

If you lose the taxi then it takes up to an hour to get back to George Town walking/bus, then you have probably more than an hour by taxi to the airport.

Going from the Thai Embassy in Penang to the airport, best to have the taxi wait for you. If you lose the taxi, you might be able to pick up a taxi from another drop-off or ask one of the other waiting taxis if they can call one for you.

Or, take a 15 min walk up Jalan Cantonment, crossing over Jalan Burma, and turn left on Jalan Kelawei to Gurney Paragon Mall, should be regular taxis passing through there. In the unlikely event that there are no taxis there, you can walk onwards to Gurney Plaza, which will have taxis.

You do not have to go all the way back to Chulia st or georgetown to grab a taxi.

If you have some time, or want to save some cash, you could also take any bus from Jalan Macalister (closer to consulate, but less frequent busses) or Jalan Burma (further walk, but more frequent busses) back to Komtar, then take the 102 or 401E to the airport. Budget 1.5-2 hours for both legs to make sure you get to the airport on time. Should be about 4RM for both legs...bring small bills/change with you.

Bus or taxi, this map should help post-109486-0-25037600-1400880846_thumb.

As a side comment, that's cutting it close to assume you will get rush service. Isn't check-in time 3 hours prior to departure time for int'l flight? I suppose it would be less if you don't have any checked bags; you can check-in online. Either leave later in the day of visa pickup or the next day if possible.

Good information thanks for that.

Just a simple question, Do they also issue 1 year visa's based on marriage. (When you have all the papers include the money etc )

Yes. See http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/754146-multiple-non-o-visa-run-penang-for-visiting-family-success . Substitute the child birth certificate for the marriage certificate, not sure if you need tambien baan page...perhaps the page with your spouses name only.

----

I do have a question for those who went early (in the morning) to pick up their passport and did not use an agent....did you still have to wait in line or were you able to cut to the front?

Edited by 4evermaat

Hi,

So this is what happened for me.

I flew from Phuket to Penang with Firefly.

I stayed at Hotel Jen for about 1500 a night. The service is excellent, staff really friendly. The problems with hotel are as follows

I was put on the 8th floor and the room had an old CRT TV - not good for me as I wanted to connect some things to the USB so I asked to move and they moved me to floor 14, where I had a 40" flat screen TV. There are about 15 channel and 3 of them are movies, and there is news and sport from CNN and Aljazeera.

The problem with this room was it had an adjoining door, and you could hear the other people get wake up calls or their mobile phone vibrating on the table early morning.

The shower was great, lovely hot water and great pressure.

Breakfast finishes at 10:30 but what a breakfast. You can also take things away in a plastic tub as well. Great selection of food cooked/cold/fruit/meats/cereal/toast etc.

I had a contact with a guy called Mohammed who did VISA services. Now he told me he could get my visa back within 24 hours, which did cost more money. Normally if you do the visa yourself, you pay 550 Ringit. With him doing it, it was 600, but when I asked if I could get it back before midday it went up to 800 Ringit. By getting it back before midday, allowed me to get a Firefly flight at 2pm to Phuket, otherwise you have to go to KL or stay 1 more night in Penang.

The taxi from the airport is a straight fee of about 47 Ringit, and the Taxi back from the hotel is a negotiated 40 Ringit. The ride from Airport to hotel took just over an hour because at 5pm when Firefly lands its just all traffic all the way into town. On the way back when I took a taxi at 11:45 I was at the airport within 20 minutes, the Meter read 30 Ringit, but the negotiated fair was 40 at the hotel.

The hotel is also right in the centre near several shopping centres, the more up-market one being 1st avenue. It's not bad, but had a good cinema at the top (8th floor) which was fine. The other malls near it was IT malls and a general shopping mall which was nice enough. Food in the area was OK and there is a 7/11 across from the Hotel. The 3 malls are all within 2 minutes of walking from the hotel.

I walked through the town one evening and went to see the wall art areas and down to the pier with the chinese houses on. Nothing spectacular but got me out and about.

Anyway, I thought I would share my experience so others can benefit.

Thanks for all previous help.

Edited by TheBrit
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone tried getting a new 1-yr multiple B visa in Penang when their current 1-yr multiple B visa (also from Thai consulate Penang) is *not* yet expired? My current one expires in early September but will much too busy then to fly to Penang and back. My latest available time will be in August. I don't mind my current one being "cancelled" by the consulate just so that I can get a new one. Anyone tried this? Have a 1 yr work permit as well, expiring (or renewable) end of May 2016.

Edited by junkofdavid2

• 1 month later...

Hi there, I didn't notice this while reading through the tread, but when applying for a Non-Im B visa, do they require a "police check" in Penang? I wasn't sure if it may or may not have been added as a requirement since this thread began. If anyone could help I would be very thankful!

whistling.gif I do not know about Non B visas at Penang but I can confirm that Penang will no longer issue anything but a single entry tourist visa to you UNLESS you have a current Malaysian residence card at this time.

I was in Penang on the 10th of July 2015 and that is what they told me at that time.

I know it was possible to get a double entry tourist visa a year ago in Penang, but that apparently is now not possible unless you are a Malaysian resident.

Thank's for the replies.

I have a question.

When I did the run in KL, I handed the passport to them in the morning 10am and got it back next day 2pm.

Is it the same in Penang?

How long does it take to get from the Embassy to the Airport?

Appreciate any help in this matter,

regards

---------------------

Yes, officially pickup time for your visa is 2 p.m. the next day.

But I was there 1 p.m. and they let me pick mine up early.

It will cost about 40 MYR from the embassy to the airport for a taxi.

You MAY be able to find a taxi waiting there.

In my case I got a taxi from my hotel to the consulate, had him wait while I picked up my completed visa, then went to the airport. Whole thing was done for 50 MYR including help with my bags by the taxi driver.

no problem getting a 1 year non b,

contacted mingood hotel and Arthur told me business as usual :-)

driving down tomorrow

I have never heard of penang issuing a double tourist visa.

NO police check

wp valld for 8 or 9 months

• Visa application form with 2 recent passport photos attached
  • Letter of introduction/ sponsorship from company
  • List with names of employees
  • Company registration
  • Social security registration
  • shareholders & directors list
  • Company license
  • Company registration
  • Work permit - photo page and real wp
  • Passport - photo page
Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

no problem getting a 1 year non b,

contacted mingood hotel and Arthur told me business as usual :-)

driving down tomorrow

I have never heard of penang issuing a double tourist visa.

NO police check

wp valld for 8 or 9 months

• Visa application form with 2 recent passport photos attached
  • Letter of introduction/ sponsorship from company
  • List with names of employees
  • Company registration
  • Social security registration
  • shareholders & directors list
  • Company license
  • Company registration
  • Work permit - photo page and real wp
  • Passport - photo page

So the one year 327/2557 Case 2.1 extension at Phuket Town didn't work out then?

lol what a joke,

went in last thrusday and the captain was not there so the guy i know told me come back friday,

went back and she wouldn't see me even thou she had given me a list of what other papers i needed,

told me to send thai staff!!

easy drive down 9 hours home to hotel

lol what a joke,

went in last thrusday and the captain was not there so the guy i know told me come back friday,

went back and she wouldn't see me even thou she had given me a list of what other papers i needed,

Sorry to hear that you got the run around in Phuket Town.

I would have thought that now long term extensions have the top floor to themselves that they could be just a little more patient.

The fact that there is no English translation of the current 28 application conditions and their insistence that you bring a Thai indicates that they definitely don't want to spend much time arguing the subtleties of Case 2.1 applications with non Thais.

Good luck in Penang, safe travels and enjoy the Curry.

if u fly firefly the flight departs Penang at 2:10

if u do the visa on ur own u pick up your pasport after 1,

not enough time.

Latest u need leave downtown Penang is 12:30

Last time i flew down with gf to do her non b we stayed at the mindigood hotel an Arthur did the visa for us and got it back to us at noon so we could make the flght

BUT who knows if they still do it that with new regulations.

check before you fly. sales inquiry <[email protected]>

rooms are 100 myr/night ., 2 blocks to Chula street.

they will allow for early pickup if you have e ticket and a fee.

My take, i asked the guy i kniow there that was helpful if i could " donate" to make things run smother, he smiled an said no, its ok,

BUT my thai accountant that prepared the papers said thats what they are looking for.

I get the impression they do not want to "accept donations " from westerners and prefer a thai.

There was an acquaintance of mine there, doing is own Non B an he has had one for over 10 years,

they tell him what he needs an than he get the info an they told him wrong an added more papers,

this was his third trip in when i saw in in 2 weeks , Make of it what u want

Last time i went in he gave me another paper, it has your location, no ,not the map but also the latitude and longitude of ur location which you grab off of google maps.

Cury , is always great here and its much cooler than Phuket

lol what a joke,

Sorry to hear that you got the run around in Phuket Town.

I would have thought that now long term extensions have the top floor to themselves that they could be just a little more patient.

The fact that there is no English translation of the current 28 application conditions and their insistence that you bring a Thai indicates that they definitely don't want to spend much time arguing the subtleties of Case 2.1 applications with non Thais.

Good luck in Penang, safe travels and enjoy the Curry.

Can someone elaborate on what 'Case 2.1' is referring to and how it is supposed to work?

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I got my non B visa on Tuesday and I paid 750 RM - not 550 RM !!!! I went to the consulate myself, the prices are fixed now to 750 RM for a 1 year non B visa.

If you have a work permit already, bring this one for sure - they asked mine too and gave me back almost all the other papers. I believe the consulate only kept the following:

1. Visa application form with 2 recent passport photos attached
  2. Letter of introduction/ sponsorship from company with my job description and salary mentioned on it too.
  3. Work permit - photo page
  4. Passport - photo page
  5. Plus the real work permit

I got my non B visa on Tuesday and I paid 750 RM - not 550 RM !!!! I went to the consulate myself, the prices are fixed now to 750 RM for a 1 year non B visa.

Yes, they MYR has fallen 20% vs THB since the start of this thread in 2014

If you have a work permit already, bring this one for sure - they asked mine too and gave me back almost all the other papers. I believe the consulate only kept the following:

1. Visa application form with 2 recent passport photos attached
  2. Letter of introduction/ sponsorship from company with my job description and salary mentioned on it too.
  3. Work permit - photo page
  4. Passport - photo page
  5. Plus the real work permit

I had the same experience recently in Penang. I didn't try to do it myself though and actually never even had to go to the consulate.

To add from my experience:

1. 750 RM same (typed on the visa itself)

2. agree I needed all papers you needed, such as letter written and signed by myself/company stamp (I just used the same one updated that I've been using in Houston for the past 8 years), PLUS I also needed the Company Affidavit - recent (DNB written on the footer) and several pages from PND 50 like balance sheet, etc. I had everything with me that was listed anywhere on the Thai.gov sites, bank statements, CV, annual audits, VAT forms, PND 20 blah blah, but they didn't want any of it.

3. Allegedly the WP needs 8 months remaining validity for a 1-year, and I was just a few days shy of that and still got it, but next year can't figure out how I'd manage that given renewal dates unless I asked for a shorter duration than 12 months on the WP, ie. just get 3 months, and then renew for the 12 months...sounds complicated and expensive pain, but that's a year away now so I have time to figure it out. Things are always changing it seems.

How much remaining validity on your WP might be useful info for others?

• 11 months later...
14 hours ago, Robaht said:

Does anyone know if Jim is still doing visas in Penang? Last time I checked the best places to get help were through Jim or Banana, still valid? Thanks!

Cheers, Robaht

Yes they still do it (Jim and Banana) but I can see no point in not going yourself, it kills time and you know for sure if you are going to get the visa once you pay the fee, just be there by 8:15am and 1 30pm the next day to avoid queues. Also best to print off the application form first so not to waste time filling it in there.

• 1 year later...

Hi...

Is there any recent intelligence on the availability, or otherwise, of Multiple-entry Non-B visas from Penang for holders of work permits that are legitimately entitled to work in Thailand (and have been for over a year)?

Thanks,