!!

Expensive helmet necessary for slow riding?

Superior design and construction materials of a high quality helmet give greater impact protection and thus increased protection for the brain.

You pays your money you takes your choice. I choose a severe headache any day of the week over being turned into a dribbling idiot sitting in a care home.

This is something that peaked my interest in the Scorpion EXO R2000 helmets

There are 17 riders in MotoGP using this helmet now

I imagine it has been thoroughly tested wink.png

Funny too the highest ranked rider Alvaro Bautista I use to call bowling ball

Bautista as he use to take out other riders in his crashes.

So I know it has been crash tested in real world experiences too... lol

Seems like a lot of helmet for under $400/13k baht

One of the main problems with cheaper helmets even if rated is

they use only one or two shell sizes for their whole line.

One shell for xsm/sm/med/ & one shell for lg/xl/xxl

Then they basically make different sizes thru interior pad thickness.

I notice this brand has 4 shell sizes for this EXO R2000 line

I imagine other higher end helmets do the same.

The outer shell of the higher end helmets are also constructed of higher tech materials more resistant to degradation than the cheaper 'crash hats'. I find the internal shape of the imported Western helmets fit my head better than the locally produced ones. The Scorpion EX2000 looks good value at that price.
  • Like 2

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People keep repeating that over and over again but where's the evidence that more money = more safety? Where's the evidence a Shoei would give better protection than a cheaper safety certified helmet for normal road use?

You want evidence ?? Many people have told you the same thing over and over, with stories of their crashes and what they believed saved them.

You want data ?? Buy a cheapo helmet, have an accident, smash your head, and see if you can still post on this forum.

Then you will have the data that keeps on giving ...

if i can be bothered il search my dropbox for a pic of the real brand helmet that stopped me getting the left side of my face ripped off last year

and post it here

theres no way a chea big C helmet would have even stayed on my head as the plastic locks that hold them in place will open with force

(try pulling one apart with your fingers when its in the locked position and youl see what i mean )

some people will not learn ,no matter how many times you say it

i also wear a pair of work boots with steel toecaps since my first crash wearing flip flops years ago took the skin off my toes :

0001177_caterpillar-holton-s3-work-boots

safety gear works guys ,but up 2 you as they say .........

A lot of quadriplegics that once rode motorcycles wore top range helmets.

Exactly and a lot of people who feel the need to be wearing a 'mini minor' on their heads for best protection never seem to acknowledge this fact.

Me? Rather dead than vegetated ..

Up to the individuals choice of course.

Strange logic. Not wearing a helmet actually increases the possibility of being vegetated rather than just having a headache. But it's your head and if you are more concerned about your image than your wellbeing, of course it's yours to do what you like with it. Good luck.

How much is your head worth?

People keep repeating that over and over again but where's the evidence that more money = more safety? Where's the evidence a Shoei would give better protection than a cheaper safety certified helmet for normal road use?

Many people also want to tell you that your bike needs "enough power" (>40-50hp) to be safe. Imo not, because it always depends on what you want to do, whats your personal style of riding. For a scooter up to 80kmh a fullface Real helmet 1.500-2.000 Baht is sufficient imo. You can lock it to your bike with a cheap bicycle lock. No worries about thieves, free of any hassle that comes with an expensive helmet. And if you scratch the visor you can get a new one for 300 Baht. But iirr you get two visors for your new Real helmet anyway.

Of course the chance is that an expensive helmet has a better quality and therefore "is safer". The thieve will be happy for your kindness wink.png

• Like 1

I'm an ATGATT guy but I also believe in personal choice. If someone wants to wear a cheap-ass helmet or even no helmet at all, up to them. I fully support the efforts to repeal helmet laws in the west and dislike the nanny-state infringing on certain freedoms.

They're adults who can decide for themselves and who am I to lecture? But for me, a quality full-face all the way.

As for the lack of evidence showing more expensive helmets to be safer than cheaper priced ones, I would say that's something I'd have to do a search on, but why chance it?

As others have said, get the best you can afford- Arai, Shoei, AVG etc.

I'd be more concerned about the DOT certification in this case. I have an expensive Shoei and also an inexpensive HJC and I believe that they are both as safe as each other. The Shoei is lighter, better air flow and looks better - but I believe they are both safe as they both conform to the safety standards.

No need to spend 25,000 baht in my opinion.

Paddock have full face, certified HJC helmets for around 4000 baht. That should be sufficient for the OP.

HJC has been gaining in popularity all over in recent years

I also think in the end the small things that some like for comfort is the big diff

after approval ratings.

But I also think some of the "name" brands has been raping customers for a few years now.

I think if more competitors arrive at the sub $400 level they will have to offer something equal too.

( If they dont already )

Edited by mania

I'm an ATGATT guy but I also believe in personal choice. If someone wants to wear a cheap-ass helmet or even no helmet at all, up to them. I fully support the efforts to repeal helmet laws in the west and dislike the nanny-state infringing on certain freedoms.

They're adults who can decide for themselves and who am I to lecture? But for me, a quality full-face all the way.

As for the lack of evidence showing more expensive helmets to be safer than cheaper priced ones, I would say that's something I'd have to do a search on, but why chance it?

As others have said, get the best you can afford- Arai, Shoei, AVG etc.

It can also be the other way around. A cheap helmet outperforming a much more expensive one

FYI : http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/automobiles/27SNELL.html?_r=0

Quote : In one comprehensive study of real-world impact performance based on research done for Motorcyclist Magazine, presented by Mr. Thom to the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, a $79.95 helmet certified to Transportation Department standards performed the best of the 32 tested, withstanding the most violent hits while transmitting as much as 67 g’s less impact force to the headform than a $400 Snell-certified helmet.

The writer of this article, Dexter Ford was fired because of pressure from Arai .

http://jalopnik.com/5582380/how-the-truth-about-motorcycle-helmets-got-a-journalist-fired

• Like 2

Another unclear issue is the aging of helmets, especially in a climate like this in thailand. People buying an expensive helmet tend to use them for years and nobody really knows how the foam that absorbs the impact changes over the years in this heat. I like to replace my helmet after 1-2 years. It starts stinking anyway then. I never would replace a helmet after 2 years if i had paid +20k Baht for it. But i have to admit that i am not racing and never go faster than 120kmh. I now use a Real G-Force for 2.400 Baht. Its DOT and ECE rated, whatever that means... smile.png

Edited by wantan

Another unclear issue is the aging of helmets, especially in a climate like this in thailand. People buying an expensive helmet tend to use them for years and nobody really knows how the foam that absorbs the impact changes over the years in this heat. I like to replace my helmet after 1-2 years. It starts stinking anyway then. I never would replace a helmet after 2 years if i had paid +20k Baht for it. But i have to admit that i am not racing and never go faster than 120kmh. I now use a Real G-Force for 2.400 Baht. Its DOT and ECE rated, whatever that means... smile.png

You stole my thunder, I was about to write the same thing. I wonder if it's better to replace a 4000 baht helmet every 12-18 months rather than hang onto a 25,000 baht helmet for the full 3 years, especially in this climate. And what if you drop it while walking to the 711, much more tempting to pretend it never happened when you just forked out 25,000 baht.

Of course, people will say they would absolutely replace a 25,000 baht helmet if someone gave it a particularly nasty look, but having ridden with members from various forums in Thailand and elsewhere I've found what some of them post and what they actually do is not necessarily the same thing.

My next helmet will probably be the Shoei Air GT, but that's primarily for comfort reasons - I don't pretend it's going to guarantee I walk away from a crash - that will be down to what other gear I'm wearing and a large slice of luck.

I've wasted so much money on cheap crap helmets...

If I knew many years ago this, I would have bought my Shark Speed R or the Arai as the first helmet. LOL

it ends up being cheaper getting a decent product once, than upgrading every 6 months!

just get your self a Shark S600, they are cheap and best money can buy,.

or even some Bilmola. but my head dont like them :D

Im really happy with a Shark Speed R, I got at sale for 9000 baht, usual price 11K,

the sunvisor is awesome and the material is very good quality, it's just hotter than the AVG K3 and most Arai.

I wish ICON would have good deals in Thailand, they are the most comfy I ever tried apart from Arai.

Check below web page, a couple of 150$ helmets that are considered very good.

HJC and Icon sounds good, are they widely sold in Thailand?

Yes as somebody already pointed out, get a cheap helmet that are fully approved and you can change it every 2-3 years and have the latest.

http://www.motosport.com/blog/the-best-motorcycle-helmets-of-2013

More expensive doesn't necessarily mean better. Caberg helmets are around 8k, yet they have received a better safety rating by SHARP than most Arai, Shoei and Nexx for example at twice the price. Real, that you mentioned are a step up from Index and are a much better helmet, but best looking for helmets that are DOT or Snell certified. But be careful as there are many fake DOT helmets. DOT has just redesigned its logo so it now must display:

The DOT label at the rear of your helmet must now include, the Model or Manufacturer, DOT and the Safety standard in that order.

You can check for safety ratings here: http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

Edited by BBJ
  • Like 1

I'm a bit puzzled about all the reference to thefts of helmets.

Would you leave your helmets on your bikes in your home country? I know that I wouldn't, so I don't here.

I confess though that I brought both of my Arais with me but only use the cheaper older one in Bangkok.

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I got a helmet back grom packsafe that i put my helmet in and lock it to the bike (steel mesh so cant be stolen) while the soft inside keeps the helmet from scratching. Sure its a bit of a bother to do but at least the helmet is safe.

Would you leave your helmets on your bikes in your home country? I know that I wouldn't, so I don't here.

I confess though that I brought both of my Arais with me but only use the cheaper older one in Bangkok.

the first time mine got stolen from my condo cctv saw a mo-sai taxi take it after dropping off someone

the next time it was locked under my seat in lat phrao and they cut the chinstrap with a blade because when i lifted the seat the metal clasp

was still there

the woman in the helmet shop says even 100 thb lids get stolen sometimes especially if theyre "new and shiny " never mind medium or high quality ones

i think its people addicted to yabba or glue sniffing that take them ,theres a few down and out homeless zombie looking guys around that area where my helmet got nicked so id wager it was one of them if i had to guess ............

probably me and him are both lucky i didnt catch them in the act , it would have ended in either the hospital or the copshop and cost more than the value of a 1400thb helmet

Difficult to justify spending 20,000 baht on a helmet just for riding around on a one month holiday.......

I think 7,000 will get a decent helmet, but I agree it is frustrating to justify. Statistically of course you have more of a chance of having an accident the more you ride, but that doesn't mean that you will not have a devastating accident within 5 minutes of getting on a bike on the very first day. Also where do you stop ? Without boots you could tear a foot off. Spine protector, does what it says. Gloves, broken hands are no fun, armored jacket? Armored jeans/trousers ? You would look crazy on a scooter with all that but a 80 kph crash can make you as dead as a 180 kph one. And no I am not suggesting for one moment you get all that gear, but do get a decent full face helmet.

What kind of bike will you be on ? A scooter or real bike ?

SDM

the first time mine got stolen from my condo cctv saw a mo-sai taxi take it after dropping off someone

the next time it was locked under my seat in lat phrao and they cut the chinstrap with a blade because when i lifted the seat the metal clasp

was still there

the woman in the helmet shop says even 100 thb lids get stolen sometimes especially if theyre "new and shiny " never mind medium or high quality ones

i think its people addicted to yabba or glue sniffing that take them ,theres a few down and out homeless zombie looking guys around that area where my helmet got nicked so id wager it was one of them if i had to guess ............

probably me and him are both lucky i didnt catch them in the act , it would have ended in either the hospital or the copshop and cost more than the value of a 1400thb helmet

i always leave my gfs HJC helmet on the bikes - hanging on the slider of course not on tank or attached to mirrors - and it never get stolen for years

Difficult to justify spending 20,000 baht on a helmet just for riding around on a one month holiday.......

I think 7,000 will get a decent helmet, but I agree it is frustrating to justify. Statistically of course you have more of a chance of having an accident the more you ride, but that doesn't mean that you will not have a devastating accident within 5 minutes of getting on a bike on the very first day. Also where do you stop ? Without boots you could tear a foot off. Spine protector, does what it says. Gloves, broken hands are no fun, armored jacket? Armored jeans/trousers ? You would look crazy on a scooter with all that but a 80 kph crash can make you as dead as a 180 kph one. And no I am not suggesting for one moment you get all that gear, but do get a decent full face helmet.

What kind of bike will you be on ? A scooter or real bike ?

SDM

i would definately agree on the appropraite footwear after a decent rated helmet ,the last thing you want is your toes getting ripped off

(ive seen a guy in hospital it happened to and its a horrific injury )

i know its hot but decent footwear has saved me a few times,you never know when youre going to need to put a foot to the ground and its

nice to know its not going to be shredded to the bone

you dont have to go all out and look ridiculous in moto-gp boots but id consider something like maybe a safety trainer :

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=steel+toe+trainers&client=firefox-a&hs=GJG&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=u34pU4C_O8Gzrgf_v4HQDA&ved=0CDwQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=677

most people cant even tell theyre safety shoes,they look and feel like almost as comfortable as regular trainers and anything is better than flip flops on a motorcycle journey

you dont have to go all out and look ridiculous in moto-gp boots but id consider something like maybe a safety trainer :

most people cant even tell theyre safety shoes,they look and feel like almost as comfortable as regular trainers and anything is better than flip flops on a motorcycle journey

I cant say enough good things about these for general riding

decent degree of safety with heel cup, ankle protection, toe box etc

Yet feel very comfy & look fine with jeans if your stopping somewhere

In fact when I first bought them I used them for a few days out & about

not on a bike to help break them in

TCX X-move...bought them thru the mail from Panda in BKK

attachicon.gifBoots_TCX_9536W.jpg attachicon.gifxmove.jpg

i bought a few styles from ebay UK and im very happy with them ,didnt even cost a lot

because safety goods are tax exempt i think

of course , be prepared to print out your paypal account etc when collecting them from post offiice as thai customs

will have estimated they costed double or triple the real price and try to rip you off if youre unprepared :)

• Like 1

I think some of you guys have lost the plot, advocating spending shed loads on a helmet and claiming it will save you, whereas if you spend a sensible amount on an approved one, you will die a horrible death. There are no statistics collaborating this theory at all and citing freak accidents is a complete red herring.

Some while ago I had to borrow my stepson's full face racing helmet to go into town (he had taken mine) and I am telling you I could see and hear bugga-all around me, in comparison.

Riding around town unable to see or hear properly is the real danger and offsets any microscopic advantage the helmet may have offered me in the event of a low speed accident. it was so bloody uncomfortable too, I was sweating like a pig the whole time, so instead of concentrating on where I was going and what obstacle were looming ahead, I was thinking about the discomfort. I am sure I was riding through town faster, just to get the bloody thing off as the airflow system only works at speed, which is what these helmets are designed for. Think about it, if you say a your maximum is 40kph, that is just 25mph, and you will be going slower than that most of the time.

We have already established in other threads that keeping your wits about you is of primary importance in the country and anything that detracts from that should be avoided like the plague.

Buy a decent comfortable helmet with good visibility and when you take up MotoGP ask the question again.

• Like 1