Voting fraud by MP helped kill loan bill

Lite Beer

Voting fraud by MP helped kill loan bill
Khanittha Thepphaojorn
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- Pheu Thai MP caught using colleagues' id cards by rival, who filmed his illegal act

Pheu Thai MP Naris Thongtirat's use of electronic voting cards belonging to other MPs to vote on their behalf in support of the Bt2-trillion infrastructure borrowing bill was one of the reasons that led the Constitutional Court to rule the bill void.

The incident was the Achilles heel of the ambitious draft bill by the Yingluck Shinawatra administration.

It took place on September 20 last year and the Constitutional Court considered it a breach of the charter - Articles 122s and 126 - with six of the eight judges supporting the ruling.

The scandal eventually undermined what was arguably the Yingluck government's most ambitious policy, which included proposed high-speed train routes.

But this is not the first time something like this has occurred in Parliament, where ruling party MPs were unaware that someone was recording their actions for later use as evidence in court.

Pheu Thai MPs did the same thing when voting for the amendment on the make-up of the Senate.

Then opposition Democrat Party MP for Samut Songkhram Rangsima Rodrasamee managed to video-record the action, thus nailing the ruling party.

The Constitutional Court stated in its ruling that the use of voting cards belonging to other MPs is contradictory to the principle of one MP having one vote under Article 126 of the charter.

It said the practice also went against the principle that MPs should vote based on their free will and carry out this duty honestly for the benefit of the people.

The evidence was first presented to the media on September 24 by the Democrat Party, while other voting violations took place at 5.33pm on September 10 last year and 4.43pm on February 11.

Bangkok Senator Rosana Tositrakul also produced a still photo of a person alleged to be an MP of the ruling party stretching his arm to press the bottom for a fellow MP on the desk behind him.

Rak Thai Party MP Chuwit Kamolvisit also produced a video that he claims shows eight MPs, six from the ruling party and two from a coalition partner party, using one another's cards to vote on their behalf.

Vorachai Hema, Pheu Thai's former MP for Samut Prakan, defended these actions by saying no MP could possibly sit in the House for 24 hours non-stop.

Vorachai said some MPs had to do business outside parliament and asked colleagues to vote on their behalf, and this could be verified.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-16

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw several clips of the culprit in the act. Took me back to the days when I used to proctor College Board exams. The body language was a dead giveaway shifting in his seat, glancing furtively around the room, hunching over the voting cards on his desk, and then ever so slowly sliding one card after another into the slot before pressing the same voting button on the left again and again.

Now some would say I'm too suspicious, he just had to go to the toilet. But I say, "NOT".

• Like 1

The lack of punishment, yet again, is a prime example of why Suthep is on the streets, why democracy is doomed in Thailand , why corruption rules the roost and why in so many ways the country is a box of frogs

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

But thailand has all the things you mentioned.

Democracy = votes only

Corruption= money and laying blame on others so as not to lose face and if caught red handed means running without being chased.

Lack of punishment= Thailand has punishment everywhere. Pay money or threaten people if you cant buy them. This is taught in their basic education system.

But don't just blame Sutheps freedom on these things. It is the reason all the Dems and PTP are walking the streets either here or in Dubai.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As representatives of the people give the voting rights out of hand!

Absolutely unworthy to sit in a parliament.

Vote with the electoral rights of third, strangers parties/people is

electoral fraud, abuse of electoral power.

Is there perhaps even money flowed and voting rights were bought?

These are not representative of the people of a democracy, these are simple criminal scammers.

A life long ban from Parliament and from all public offices must be ordered here.

If Thailand wants to have honest politicians in parliament, then they have to eliminate first all the fraudsters!

Edited by tomacht8
  • Like 2

Perhaps they thought they were in New Zealand? (Allowed with rules)

Or pre-1995 US Congress?

Or maybe the Council of Ministers of the EU? (Though that is more weighted voting)

Anyway - it's against the law here, and the MP's involved should have been reminded of this by the party and the rules enforced stringently.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Somebody won't be offered a comradely plate of roast goat at the next desert reunion soiree.

coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif width=32 alt=coffee1.gif>

Or look at it from another perspective, where's the leadership?

Answer, on many occasions on a trade mission to Montenagro or some other similar country, a trip which in a million years could not be justified.

What is the US Ambassador saying about this type of democracy?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Silently wishing they could get away with things like this,

Who says they don't?

Most likely who Thais jearnt from,

Once again the Thaksinistas are caught in electoral fraud when they already had the votes to win the vote without cheating.

These numbskulls just can't help themselves.

All they seem to know is cheating and deception and never seem to learn from the past when they were caught out, eg. TRT.

As I've said before, PTP are like like she scorpion and the fox. The scorpion can't help itself, it's in it's nature.

• Like 2

Once again the Thaksinistas are caught in electoral fraud when they already had the votes to win the vote without cheating.

All they seem to know is cheating and deception and never seem to learn from the past when they were caught out, eg. TRT.

Cheating is in their DNA
  • Like 2

What is the US Ambassador saying about this type of democracy?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Like prbkk and others of their ilk on here, this type of action is ok apparently in democratic redland...their silence speaks volumes.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

From what I have read of prbkk (and his ilk) they would not support these actions.

The biggest difference that I have noticed between the supporters of each side on these forums is the willingness of only the prbkk side to accept the flaws of those that they support whilst the Suthepsta's seem to think they are on the side of angels.

Blind fools if ever there were.

I guess accepting the flaws is an easier proposition for prbkk as his side only has about 1 or 2 for every 100 by the Suthepsta's.

• Like 1

When the PTP and their coalition parties have 300 seats (out of 500 seats) in parliament and they can't be bothered to muster the votes without committing voting fraud it is a true reflection of their contempt in the only principle of democracy they purport to respect and just plain lazy or stupid. No wonder this is the only principle of democracy they adhere too. They can manipulate it!!!

Repspect my vote??? In the words of a pattaya ladyboy "Respect my ass"!!!!

Hello everyone where is or are all those red democracy supporters defending THIS as the TRUE democracy. If you think voting for others is democracy - oh my god I want to stop the world and get off!

Democracy my rear end! (I have to be careful as I got banned for speaking the truth and calling someone an idiot...)

You won't find too many "red democracy supporters" on this topic, they are like hyenas looking for easy pickings. Fabio and friends are probably trolling other topics where it is easier to attack Suthep, Abhisit, yellow shirts, hi-sos, elites etc.

• Like 2

If you do something wrong, and do it every day, in the end you no longer consider it wrong, but just normal.

• Like 1

When the PTP and their coalition parties have 300 seats (out of 500 seats) in parliament and they can't be bothered to muster the votes without committing voting fraud it is a true reflection of their contempt in the only principle of democracy they purport to respect and just plain lazy or stupid. No wonder this is the only principle of democracy they adhere too. They can manipulate it!!!

Repspect my vote??? In the words of a pattaya ladyboy "Respect my ass"!!!!

Hello everyone where is or are all those red democracy supporters defending THIS as the TRUE democracy. If you think voting for others is democracy - oh my god I want to stop the world and get off!

Democracy my rear end! (I have to be careful as I got banned for speaking the truth and calling someone an idiot...)

You won't find too many "red democracy supporters" on this topic, they are like hyenas looking for easy pickings. Fabio and friends are probably trolling other topics where it is easier to attack Suthep, Abhisit, yellow shirts, hi-sos, elites etc.

I would suggest that they are wise enough to not "defend the indefensible".

A skill a great many of your ilk on this forum are yet to learn.