Jeremy Clarkson accused of 'racism' during Top Gear series finale in Thailand

webfact

What did you really expect from those conceited dimwits on Top Gear? They are supposed to be entertainers and they think of themselves clever, but really they are just bums.

It's got humour, but not really funny, Just old school kids playing toy games. Mostly fast cars racing round to see who has the fastest, or promotion for expensive models.

Upper class prigs show, Looking for brownie points and ratings. Never appealed to me, although I did watch it hoping someday they would show more down to earth car models, rather than GT types. The show is named Top Gear aimed at the upper class audience.----BBC ought to promote Bottom Gear and give the not so well off people some tips on how to save on maintenance --insurance--economy --buying second hand etc.

Absolute rubbish. The studio audience is typically ordinary middle-class Brits who enjoy driving all sorts of vehicles; many of those promoted or used are not expensive, including the basic hatch used for guest drivers on the track.

Absolute rubbish sounds to me like the MIDDLE CLASS remark---- B/S is normally used.

Nothing to do with what you enjoy driving--most of his programs are based on speed laps---Bentley's and the like.

Choose from all his programs how many concentrate on the old car, the man in the street. The term you used "on the track" no wonder there are boy racers, with their GTs flying around thinking they are from the Clarkson lot.

The studio Audience---you speak about. you mean the ones that get freebies to go let their daft out with Big J.

I am talking about the TV viewers, and what THEY would like to see more of than YOUR studio Middle class snobs.

"[MY] studio Middle class snobs"? Apart from creating an oxymoron, what do you mean? I meant a cross-section of ordinary (middle class/middle of the road) motoring enthusiasts. If there are no other motoring programmes for you to watch on British TV, then take it up with the BBC or other broadcasters. They make their money from the viewing audiences which influence ratings, and derive income from syndication and advertising sales. It's a business like any other, for god's sake.

Some Top Gear episodes I have watched over the years are better and funnier than others. I have only seen relatively few anyway. This latest Jeremy Clarkson 'gaffe' is another storm in a teacup (probably planned, with a formal apology to follow). Without social media like Twitter and Facebook (not to mention forums like this) the outcry will dry up within days - as it should.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes a slope is just a slope... like a ski slope... the bridge has a slope (meaning it is not Level)... it slopes to one side... in such instances racism like obscenity seems to be in the mind of the beholders... rather than in the use of a perfectly correct word... perhaps the social site's illiterates should check their dictionary before clicking the post tab... coffee1.gif

I've read a lot of comments and the point being made about farang and as much as I agree with the fact that this is a racist comment we should all realise that ONLY white people can be racist.

So I think the best thing to do is scrap our language and adopt one that will not cause offence to anyone.

There is plenty of examples on the tv of open racism towards white people but no one ever makes an issue of that.

I accept that even though for example "farang" is racist it's part of the culture so I accept it. Does it bother me? Do I loose sleep over it? No because if that's someone's choice to be racist towards me then that's their problem not mine.

Having lived and worked in Asia for 13 years, I now realise I have led a sheltered life.

I have never heard the "slope" expression used before and if some sensationalists hadn't written this drivel, I would still have been happily ignorant of it's meaning.

I was in Thailand and Cambodia in the mid sixtys and the term was used by the Yanks as "Slope Heads"

Sometimes a slope is just a slope... like a ski slope... the bridge has a slope (meaning it is not Level)... it slopes to one side... in such instances racism like obscenity seems to be in the mind of the beholders... rather than in the use of a perfectly correct word... perhaps the social site's illiterates should check their dictionary before clicking the post tab... coffee1.gif

Not in this case. JC thought using the term would be funny [it isn't], he's done similar things before. He's less of a bigot and more of an idiot, but it was a deliberate use of a slur.

It's got humour, but not really funny, Just old school kids playing toy games. Mostly fast cars racing round to see who has the fastest, or promotion for expensive models.

Upper class prigs show, Looking for brownie points and ratings. Never appealed to me, although I did watch it hoping someday they would show more down to earth car models, rather than GT types. The show is named Top Gear aimed at the upper class audience.----BBC ought to promote Bottom Gear and give the not so well off people some tips on how to save on maintenance --insurance--economy --buying second hand etc.

Absolute rubbish. The studio audience is typically ordinary middle-class Brits who enjoy driving all sorts of vehicles; many of those promoted or used are not expensive, including the basic hatch used for guest drivers on the track.

Absolute rubbish sounds to me like the MIDDLE CLASS remark---- B/S is normally used.

Nothing to do with what you enjoy driving--most of his programs are based on speed laps---Bentley's and the like.

Choose from all his programs how many concentrate on the old car, the man in the street. The term you used "on the track" no wonder there are boy racers, with their GTs flying around thinking they are from the Clarkson lot.

The studio Audience---you speak about. you mean the ones that get freebies to go let their daft out with Big J.

I am talking about the TV viewers, and what THEY would like to see more of than YOUR studio Middle class snobs.

"[MY] studio Middle class snobs"? Apart from creating an oxymoron, what do you mean? I meant a cross-section of ordinary (middle class/middle of the road) motoring enthusiasts. If there are no other motoring programmes for you to watch on British TV, then take it up with the BBC or other broadcasters. They make their money from the viewing audiences which influence ratings, and derive income from syndication and advertising sales. It's a business like any other, for god's sake.

Some Top Gear episodes I have watched over the years are better and funnier than others. I have only seen relatively few anyway. This latest Jeremy Clarkson 'gaffe' is another storm in a teacup (probably planned, with a formal apology to follow). Without social media like Twitter and Facebook (not to mention forums like this) the outcry will dry up within days - as it should.

Because you mentioned Studio audience, who are invited to the show from various outlets--business.

I was referring to the 70% Brits from towns throughout the UK. This program has interest sure but what it stands for and who it's intended for is another matter.

You like someone or you don't I just had this dislike to his attitude and his snob way of presenting. The content of his half hour really is about 12 minutes. the rest rubbish. To me he does NOT on average deal with the general public at heart, and too much emphasis on speed.

I read your post a bit different, it came over a bit ABOVE the normal citizen bracket.. BUT I agree with a lot you say this post. Cheers ginjag.

Actually, if my memory serves me right, the term "slope" was used in an old Charlton Heston film. Which was (again if my memory serves me correctly) about the Chinese (slave labour) that was being sent to Hawaii to plant Pineapples. The term seemed to refer to their foreheads, and was DEFINITELY derogatory, but none the less the movie was a big hit in it's time. It may have been called "55 Days at Peking" which was about the "Boxer revolution" circa 1963.

In Southern Africa - where we have some choice racist words that are flung around and listed in some country's legal ordinances and by-laws of racial terms that are officially outlawed and whose use is punishable by a fine - we are used to the word "slope" - but there it refers to a white Afrikaner - or a "boer". This term of endearment comes from the fact that white Anglo-Saxons born and brought up there think the Afrikaner to be a person of reduced intelligence and bit of a genetic throw back to someone like an early caveman - the big bumbly guy with the long hairy arms (knuckles dragging on the floor) and the sloping forehead (hence the connection).

So one mans VC in SE Asia is, I suppose, another mans favourite rugby player in Africa.

I was about to mention this. In the 60s and 70s Rhodesian Army guys referred to their South African (mainly Afrikaner) counterparts as 'slopes' or 'slope-heads'; more derogatory was 'rock spiders'. Terrorists were called 'flops' or 'floppies'. It had two meanings: the hats they wore and the way they flopped to the ground when shot. Admittedly black humour but common at the time.

And one of the worst insults you could hurl was to call them a Dutchman

Having lived and worked in Asia for 13 years, I now realise I have led a sheltered life.

I have never heard the "slope" expression used before and if some sensationalists hadn't written this drivel, I would still have been happily ignorant of it's meaning.

SLOPE on e bridge , means for me that it goes downhill , and thats all ,, i saw this program last day, and was shure he meant the bridge not straght,, racisme i did not even think about that this meant,, never heard about it . Another ting is that, stay in Thai long time, and you will become a racist,, so mutch useless people, cheaters, bad workers skills. and knowledge level like 10 year old.. will make a westerner racist..

Well Well Well here we go again with the media taking it the wrong way, any western person would come to the first meaning of what he was talking about, the bridge has a slope on it meaning it is lower on one side than the other. The saying, it slopes to one side. No backing for him from any of the media, if I was Him I would put 2 fingers up to them all and for desert spread the cheeks of my ass. He di nothing wrong probably does not know that meaning any way.

Sorry, but you are possibly from a younger generation and different background. If you knew Jeremy Clarkson's Top Gear style you would know that this was an intentional pun; a light-hearted ambiguous comment with archaic racist overtones, but meant to be laughed at by those who understood the alternative meaning. That it would cause some sort of controversy from the vocal PC minority was a given. It was part of the plan.

Apart from allegations of racism by Thais being a tad rich, considering Thailand's history as well as its discriminatory tendencies, I must have become lost in the translating of 'slope' into something racist. Seems like sensitivity gone barmy.

It wasn't Thais complaining of racism, it was over PC Brits with nothing better to do with their time !!

This is funny in one way - even if (a big IF) old Jeza knew the cultural meaning of 'Slope' (which i didn't btw) - it would have to go down as one of his LIGHTER insults in a career of winding everyone up !!! It's what he does, what he is - he's a 'love him or loathe him' character, and he plays up to it. I can take him or leave him and imagine he still has a good deal of growing up to do.

Exactly, if it was intended that way, certainly one of his less controversial remarks, can't see how he racist anyway he makes derogatory remarks about everyone including his own "race"

Some people on here need to get thicker skins, and remember what they have written about racism, when they start a post with why do thai's ?

Saw it Last night on TV ,been in Thailand long time ,he meant what it means ,a slope means not straight ,Burma looks very good ,and wild ,lot talk about horse fields ,did understand that ,but agin never heard it called horse fields ,

Arguments are way too PC especially coming from what most likely is an audience of bigotry, prejudice or simple ignorance towards Thailand based on media reputation. Just someone to point fingers at while in denial of their own true feelings.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Not in this case. JC thought using the term would be funny [it isn't], he's done similar things before. He's less of a bigot and more of an idiot, but it was a deliberate use of a slur.

Gee, I didn't feel like having to type all this out, never mind, please bear with me. I'll keep it short.

I married a Thai in Bangkok in late 1985 and was shortly afterwards posted ashore to see out my last couple of years, on land, in the Navy. I went to a very small training school as the Commanding Officer's right hand man and Senior Chief. He turned out to be a fat, racist, overbearing, loud, rude, racist and bigot. He had never been to sea in an Australian Warship BTW.

A component of one of the courses we intructed was what was called a 'practical lesson'. Believe it not it was how to park a car on a slope.

One morning at 'Stand Easy' when the small staff would gather in the Brew Room on a 'social level' this particular course component came up in discussion. The Bully, or CO would sit at the head of the table, holding Court, surrounded by the sychophants who liked to giggle at his racist, sexist jokes etc.

My CO was very well aware of who I was married to, and the 'Slope jokes' came thick and fast. At my expense.

A young officer, LEUT, who was a very decent bloke grew angrier and angrier, and at last blew up. he through his seat back in disgust, jumped up and stormed out of the room. Knowing what his problem was I immediately excused myself and followed him out and pulled him up. He was in a rage and said he would not put up with it anymore and asked how it was I could.

Culminating in, I had to physically restrain him from phoning Naval HQ in Canberra. Telling him that if he went ahead with this call, right or wrong, his career would be OVER. Full stop!

Besides I was capable of fighting my own battles, Even though he tried to explain it wasn't just on my behalf.

The LEUT, at this time had been already selected by the Chief of The Navy to be his on his staff as his personal research officer. (he is today a prolific and well published author of Military History) Should he do this, he could kiss that job goodbye, not to mention his career.

He hung up the phone.

That same bloke, former Lieutenant, today, is the Anglican Arch Bishop for the Australian Defence Forces.

Jeremy Clarkson is an overrated jerk and his remark should not be trivialised

Hahahaha...... great joke.

Keep it up Clarky....

BTW 'slope' is not derogatory... It comes from the Vietnam war and was used by US troops to refer to Vietnamese Communist troops.

Gooks, slopes, Cong, VC, Charlies ..... etc.

Not for defaming reasons, but more a casual military designation.

When the Brits liberated the Falkland Islands. The British Squadies referred to the island locals as 'Bennies'.... If you are a Brit you should know what I mean. For those who don't... Benny was the name of a popular 70s soap opera character, who happened to be mildly retarded.

The military put out a communique to all squaddies and contractors not to refer to the locals as 'Bennies'... So after that everyone referred to them as 'stills'.

They're 'still' Bennies........ lol.

As 'slope' is in reference to the shape of an Asians face it is clearly a derogatory term, not defamatory as this would imply that they do not have sloping faces like they do. It does not come from the Vietnam war as it is recorded in use already in the 1940's. Gook was used by the US navy over 100 years ago to describe Filipinos before coming into general use for all Asians during the Vietnam war, clearly a derogatory term as it was originally used to describe prostitutes. Cong, VC and Charlies all coming from Viet Cong, the official name of the political group, is in no way derogatory. Benny wore a hat like the Falklanders and this is what innocently gave rise to the term Bennies but due to the fact that he was also retarded it could be taken as defamatory as not everyone on the Falklands is a retard.

'Benny' was widely used in the UK in the 80's to describe a 'country bumpkin' with 'average' intelligence and limited sartorial elegance. It was hardly an insult as Benny was one of the more likeable characters on 'Crossroads' in a cuddly and lovable sort of way.

And there was I thinking all the 'Benny' mentions referred to the slapstick funny Benny Hill!

Gee, I didn't feel like having to type all this out, never mind, please bear with me. I'll keep it short.

I married a Thai in Bangkok in late 1985 and was shortly afterwards posted ashore to see out my last couple of years, on land, in the Navy. I went to a very small training school as the Commanding Officer's right hand man and Senior Chief. He turned out to be a fat, racist, overbearing, loud, rude, racist and bigot. He had never been to sea in an Australian Warship BTW.

A component of one of the courses we intructed was what was called a 'practical lesson'. Believe it not it was how to park a car on a slope.

One morning at 'Stand Easy' when the small staff would gather in the Brew Room on a 'social level' this particular course component came up in discussion. The Bully, or CO would sit at the head of the table, holding Court, surrounded by the sychophants who liked to giggle at his racist, sexist jokes etc.

My CO was very well aware of who I was married to, and the 'Slope jokes' came thick and fast. At my expense.

A young officer, LEUT, who was a very decent bloke grew angrier and angrier, and at last blew up. he through his seat back in disgust, jumped up and stormed out of the room. Knowing what his problem was I immediately excused myself and followed him out and pulled him up. He was in a rage and said he would not put up with it anymore and asked how it was I could.

Culminating in, I had to physically restrain him from phoning Naval HQ in Canberra. Telling him that if he went ahead with this call, right or wrong, his career would be OVER. Full stop!

Besides I was capable of fighting my own battles, Even though he tried to explain it wasn't just on my behalf.

The LEUT, at this time had been already selected by the Chief of The Navy to be his on his staff as his personal research officer. (he is today a prolific and well published author of Military History) Should he do this, he could kiss that job goodbye, not to mention his career.

He hung up the phone.

That same bloke, former Lieutenant, today, is the Anglican Arch Bishop for the Australian Defence Forces.

The slur JC used is an offensive one, I've seen it used in a more vicious manner in the UK. JC thought he was being funny in his smug arrogant manner, but I doubt there was any hate behind it. Doesn't make it any better or make what he did acceptable though.

Arguments are way too PC especially coming from what most likely is an audience of bigotry, prejudice or simple ignorance towards Thailand based on media reputation. Just someone to point fingers at while in denial of their own true feelings.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

More amusing are the outraged remarks over the term "slope" by some posters who then state the term " Farang" has no racist connotations

I guess lotsa people currently in Thailand led a sheltered-life or are too young to remember back to the late '60s or early '70s.

No, it's because we are British. We did not take part in the Vietnam war. We never adopted the word 'slope' as a racist term. Growing up in the 60's and 70's in the UK, I never, ever heard this word, other than referring to something not level or even 'sloped off' ==> walked away.

Now if Mr Clarkson was American, he would certainly not use that word....

The name was changed to Myanmar by the military junta who seized the country. Hence Burma is seen as the correct name by most Burmese, as I understand it. I've only ever met Burmese who refer to the country as Burma.

Stange, because that is not my experience - having worked in Myanmar in 2011 -2013. I found that only the Burmans (main ethnic group) occasionally used the word, because 'Burma' means land of the Burmans. That excludes all the other minority ethnic groups (Shan, Kayin, Kachin etc).

The word 'Myanmar' was seen to be a more inclusive word to refer to all ethnic groups of the country. II was encouraged by all my work colleagues never to use the word 'Burma' or 'Burmese', because it was considered a divisive word.

Anyway, this is going off-topic....

Simon

"No, it's because we are British. We did not take part in the Vietnam war."

We did! We just wont admit it.

There are are plenty of Brit expats in Thailand who claim to have been in the jungles fighting Charlie, after having joined the French Foreign Legion at 15 and a half, and later on doing special ops over Cuba and getting shot seven times, and....................................

He hung up the phone.

The slur JC used is an offensive one, I've seen it used in a more vicious manner in the UK. JC thought he was being funny in his smug arrogant manner, but I doubt there was any hate behind it. Doesn't make it any better or make what he did acceptable though.

It appears it was the septic's who came up with term, and JC is mearly repeating a term made up by the greatest nation on earth....so leave Jeeza alone and how's about some mock outrage for the yanks then ?

I guess lotsa people currently in Thailand led a sheltered-life or are too young to remember back to the late '60s or early '70s.

No, it's because we are British. We did not take part in the Vietnam war. We never adopted the word 'slope' as a racist term. Growing up in the 60's and 70's in the UK, I never, ever heard this word, other than referring to something not level or even 'sloped off' ==> walked away.

Now if Mr Clarkson was American, he would certainly not use that word....

The name was changed to Myanmar by the military junta who seized the country. Hence Burma is seen as the correct name by most Burmese, as I understand it. I've only ever met Burmese who refer to the country as Burma.

Stange, because that is not my experience - having worked in Myanmar in 2011 -2013. I found that only the Burmans (main ethnic group) occasionally used the word, because 'Burma' means land of the Burmans. That excludes all the other minority ethnic groups (Shan, Kayin, Kachin etc).

The word 'Myanmar' was seen to be a more inclusive word to refer to all ethnic groups of the country. II was encouraged by all my work colleagues never to use the word 'Burma' or 'Burmese', because it was considered a divisive word.

Anyway, this is going off-topic....

Simon

"No, it's because we are British. We did not take part in the Vietnam war."

We did! We just wont admit it.

There are are plenty of Brit expats in Thailand who claim to have been in the jungles fighting Charlie, after having joined the French Foreign Legion at 15 and a half, and later on doing special ops over Cuba and getting shot seven times, and....................................

As there are plenty of US citizen ex CIA

Because you mentioned Studio audience, who are invited to the show from various outlets--business.

I was referring to the 70% Brits from towns throughout the UK. This program has interest sure but what it stands for and who it's intended for is another matter.

You like someone or you don't I just had this dislike to his attitude and his snob way of presenting. The content of his half hour really is about 12 minutes. the rest rubbish. To me he does NOT on average deal with the general public at heart, and too much emphasis on speed.

I read your post a bit different, it came over a bit ABOVE the normal citizen bracket.. BUT I agree with a lot you say this post. Cheers ginjag.

No problem. To be honest I have no idea who the 'live' audience is as they usually just laugh and clap as audiences do. Admittedly I used to dislike the man too; not sure if he later toned the sarcasm down a bit, but he has always been self-deprecating in the typical English way. I have also seen him on talk shows and he comes across as a completely different character; by no means a bumbling buffoon. It's Top Gear's ongoing success (due entirely to the global viewing audience that presumably watch episodes) that's made him rich and famous and still BBC 'gold'.

Yes, the remark was offensive to some of those that understood the double entendre. Doesn't make everyone else a racist though.

This seems to be a load of b------s about nothing. if it had been said by anyone else other than Jeremy Clarkson,it would not have made the news.

And lots of people would still be unaware what a slope was.

Bring back Alf Garnett,Curry and Chips ( Spike Miligan ) Love Thy Neighbour,Black and White Minstrel Show,The Comedians (Bernard Manning ),Monty Python,Fawlty Towers ( Don't mention the war ) and all the other British humour programmes with no malice intended.