Jeremy Clarkson accused of 'racism' during Top Gear series finale in Thailand

webfact

This topic prompted me to look at the 'racial slur' database. I feel as though I've been living in a vacuum these past 70 years.

Around 60 derogatory descriptions of Asians and only a handful that I've previously heard of and 'slope' certainly isn't one them.

I thought 'slope' referred to Jeremy Clarkson's rather stooped appearance where his beer belly has caused his back to hunch.

Normally this anatomical distortion is referred to as a 'widow's hump', which is quite fitting as JC gives a sizeable percentage of the population 'the hump'

Top Gear itself is on 'the slope', a downward, slippery slope where viewing figures have fallen more heavily than the thatch on Clarkson's dome

I love it when people take the p--s out of me it gives me inspiration to be more cutting in return

But the best retort I ever heard was received from a Welsh acquaintance of mine when I was making fun of his countrymen being a nation of 'sheep shaggers'

Without Welshman shagging sheep there wouldn't be any Englishmen responded Wyn!!

Now that's the clever way to counter racist remarks

Agree about the Top Gear stuff. Soometimes, the so called "specials" go over the top. The one to India last year was distinctly un-funny, and puerile. But, you don't have to watch it...There are only another 500 channels out there

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arguments are way too PC especially coming from what most likely is an audience of bigotry, prejudice or simple ignorance towards Thailand based on media reputation. Just someone to point fingers at while in denial of their own true feelings.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

More amusing are the outraged remarks over the term "slope" by some posters who then state the term " Farang" has no racist connotations
Well yes, as it is impossible for racism against white people to exist, but also that most posters don't know what "Farang" means.

Well not wanting to ignite the "farang debate" again but certainly in the case of my Thai colleagues they are of the opinion that farang is intended as a racist derogatory term, they have no reason to lie to me, so based on their opinion, mine is the same not that I care, but if TV finest Lilley white Thai experts believe its a term of endearment for white westerners up to them...

This topic prompted me to look at the 'racial slur' database. I feel as though I've been living in a vacuum these past 70 years.

Around 60 derogatory descriptions of Asians and only a handful that I've previously heard of and 'slope' certainly isn't one them.

I thought 'slope' referred to Jeremy Clarkson's rather stooped appearance where his beer belly has caused his back to hunch.

Normally this anatomical distortion is referred to as a 'widow's hump', which is quite fitting as JC gives a sizeable percentage of the population 'the hump'

Top Gear itself is on 'the slope', a downward, slippery slope where viewing figures have fallen more heavily than the thatch on Clarkson's dome

I love it when people take the p--s out of me it gives me inspiration to be more cutting in return

But the best retort I ever heard was received from a Welsh acquaintance of mine when I was making fun of his countrymen being a nation of 'sheep shaggers'

Without Welshman shagging sheep there wouldn't be any Englishmen responded Wyn!!

Now that's the clever way to counter racist remarks

Agree about the Top Gear stuff. Soometimes, the so called "specials" go over the top. The one to India last year was distinctly un-funny, and puerile. But, you don't have to watch it...There are only another 500 channels out there

Even worse was the USA version of Top Gear.

Arguments are way too PC especially coming from what most likely is an audience of bigotry, prejudice or simple ignorance towards Thailand based on media reputation. Just someone to point fingers at while in denial of their own true feelings.

More amusing are the outraged remarks over the term "slope" by some posters who then state the term " Farang" has no racist connotations
Well yes, as it is impossible for racism against white people to exist, but also that most posters don't know what "Farang" means.

Well not wanting to ignite the "farang debate" again but certainly in the case of my Thai colleagues they are of the opinion that farang is intended as a racist derogatory term, they have no reason to lie to me, so based on their opinion, mine is the same not that I care, but if TV finest Lilley white Thai experts believe its a term of endearment for white westerners up to them...

Funny this. My wife who appears to love me dearly, never uses the word farang to describe me. Never. if it is such a wonderful term of endearment and respect to be the "white guy over there", I wonder why she never uses it???? I mean, I'm often the only white guy present, and it could not be misconstrued to be someone else, in fact it would be the absolute simplest and easiest way to describe me in some contexts, and yet for some bizarre reason she doesn't use it.

Obviously she doesn't love me enough, hence why she doesn't use this special term of endearment and respect in company. I feel very left out now. Even bargirls and somtaam sellers call me farang, but not my wife. I am sad now.

And the ones that do, or think they do, are often wrong. It all depends on the circumstances and context. Much like the way Australians can use 'bastard' as an endearment and insult at the same time.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It was not the River Kwai. or even the River Khwae.

In typical Top Gear humour they built a bridge over the River "Cock".

As they had just built the bridge in typical Top Gear manner the remark from Clarkson on it's slop was typical of the tongue-in-cheek humour. Sarcastic self deprecating humour that the top gear crew and us British often use to mock each other. Thinking Clarkson was being Racist is so wrong. Not saying he is an angel. He often inserts his foot in his mouth. But on this point I think the observation is well wrong.

How dare you use such an offense word such as "cock" !

You are of course referring to the derogatory term for a gentleman's bits and not the one the crows at dawn

Jeeza for PM

. Dawn is innocent.

Oh no she's not!! Not since she discovered, shall we say, just what it is that crows!!!

And the ones that do, or think they do, are often wrong. It all depends on the circumstances and context. Much like the way Australians can use 'bastard' as an endearment and insult at the same time.

Which brings us neatly back to JC's remark...was the bridge level and flat ?....based on visual evidence it wasn't therefore in the circumstances and context the remark was appropriate

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It was not the River Kwai. or even the River Khwae.

In typical Top Gear humour they built a bridge over the River "Cock".

As they had just built the bridge in typical Top Gear manner the remark from Clarkson on it's slop was typical of the tongue-in-cheek humour. Sarcastic self deprecating humour that the top gear crew and us British often use to mock each other. Thinking Clarkson was being Racist is so wrong. Not saying he is an angel. He often inserts his foot in his mouth. But on this point I think the observation is well wrong.

How dare you use such an offense word such as "cock" !

You are of course referring to the derogatory term for a gentleman's bits and not the one the crows at dawn

Jeeza for PM

. Dawn is innocent.

I am sure plenty of people have been up the crack of dawn before

Very clever. Not! Are you Jeremy Clarkson?

Just as a matter of interest,the bridge at Kanchanaburi is not actually the river Kwai (however it is spelt ).It was adopted for tourism reasons.If you want to know a little about Thai history from the second world war onwards,and how Siam might be a different country today,I suggest you watch a UK tv series entitled "The Life and Times of Earl Mountbatten of Burma".I think it is episode 6 that is quite enlightening.I don't want to go into detail as I might leave myself open to you know what.You can download from the torrent sites,it might open a few eyes.

Just as a matter of interest,the bridge at Kanchanaburi is not actually the river Kwai (however it is spelt ).It was adopted for tourism reasons.If you want to know a little about Thai history from the second world war onwards,and how Siam might be a different country today,I suggest you watch a UK tv series entitled "The Life and Times of Earl Mountbatten of Burma".I think it is episode 6 that is quite enlightening.I don't want to go into detail as I might leave myself open to you know what.You can download from the torrent sites,it might open a few eyes.

So in addition to rice scams we have had a river scam as well, all the tourist who have been conned should sue YK for their money back

So in addition to rice scams we have had a river scam as well, all the tourist who have been conned should sue YK for their money back

To be technically correct JC and the boys built the bridge over the river cock

Having lived and worked in Asia for 13 years, I now realise I have led a sheltered life.

I have never heard the "slope" expression used before and if some sensationalists hadn't written this drivel, I would still have been happily ignorant of it's meaning.

+1, a shitstorm about buggerall by the PC brigade as usual!

No not really had a black guy been walking over the bridge with a racoon in the shot, he could of said oh there's a coon on the bridge.

That would be racist and would cause a shit storm here in the UK, but if someone from Asia with sloped eyes, as the term originally comes from (mainly speaking of the Chinese) it makes it alright?

never heard them refered to as sloped eyes , only as slanty , ..''.sloped" suggests to me they protrude outward from the socket ,...........i think you should join the PC brigade and make sure our schools only use whiteboards and bannish the blackboards ,.....looking for a fight ..... PATHETIC !

Heard the same from the Thais I know, definitely racism against whites but more so saying all whites & Jewish are the same. But in the minds of larger nations where the people remain as sheep to their governments, racism towards whites means no racism...at worst, a joke or slur.

So.....am I be racist if I'm playing golf with an Asian person and I say there's a big slope on the green? Do you the person would be angry?

I doubt it.

Don't think person would be angry, but you will have the "bible basher" of TV out in force demanding your execution

Just imagine the outrage if JC had sent the bridge was bent

I don't know who your colleagues are but I work with academic linguists who, judging by their detailed accounts of the etymology of the word, really do seem to understand and they assure me that there is absolutely nothing derogatory about the term on it's own. Of course any racial label can be used in a racist manner through inappropriate usage.

I've experienced racism as a white westerner in Asia. In the supermarket Bangkok a till woman shouted FARANG! at me, followed by a stream of Thai, because I was queueing a few inches from what she deemed to be the correct queueing point. It wasn't very nice. Ipso facto, it's probably more not nice when ethnic minorities in the West are, oh I don't know, discriminated against in the classroom by their teacher, physically detained by the police when they haven't committed a crime, apprehended on suspicion of shoplifting when they've legitimately paid for their items, or beaten to death in police custody.

But do you know what has been by FAR the most common experience I've had as a Westerner in Asia? Adorable kids running up to me on the street so they can say hello to me. But then I don't have decades of bile and ignorance etched into my flabby sunburned face.

Better to be called Farang than her turning round and saying "Hey Knobhead, you're in the wrong queue"

All the kids in the village where I live call me farang, it's not derogatory at all, the lads in work call me a "Porridge &lt;deleted&gt;" .. water off a ducks Back too, as it's done in humour.

Clarkson is an a-hole, but he's a funny a-hole, and the fact he hates Peirs Morgan with a passion makes him alright in my book.

Pepper Me.. I was down in the Falkands during the "Stills and Bennies" , that made me chuckle when you reminded me of that time.

Yeah, but WHY isn't it derogatory to you? It's not because it's done it humour, but because YOU'RE in the position of power. White western men are the most privileged and least oppressed people on the planet. There is no reservoir of atrocity and oppression under the surface to which the terms refer. Unlike other racial slurs against peoples who have suffered terrible atrocities, slurs like slope and gook and the n word and all its variants.

And if any of the soldiers you served with (I'm assuming you were serving in the Falklands) had, say, a brother or sister or close relative with some form of learning difficulties (as, and I think this is correct but feel free to check, roughly 20% of people in the UK do or will at some point) then you might not be so quick to chuckle at those terms.

I can take it on the chin when leveled at me, so I feel justified in giving it out also.

When things are clearly meant in humour, then in my book. It is totally fine.

With your reference to 'white men' that could also be seen as a racial slur.

Also your 20% with learning difficulties in the UK is laughable.... But then again, I didn't go through the Scottish education system so I can't really comment. But in England, in our school of 1000 there were about 20 kids in the special class.

So maybe it is something to do with being north of the border where that may represent 20% But in my school it was 2%.

I said that 20% of people will have someone with some form of learning difficulties in their close family at some point, which I think I'm remembering correctly but feel free to fact check me. Autism alone is now believed to affect 1 in 88 children.

Isn't that we all want someone to promote another show or give us a history lesson, Mister Rogers, but just as a note. It would be easier reading if you'd put a space after each "." or ",".

Nope just a matter of interest if you care to dig a little into history,no mention from my part about scams,but as you bring the subject up,it does emphasise how Thai's were quick to pick up on the money potential.It actually stems from the moviie "Bridge on The River Kwai".Made in the mid 50's starring Sir Alec Guiness.The movie was not made in Thailand,Google it for more info.As a matter of reference I watched a docu about an ex.Australian POW who took great offence to what they are doing at Kanchanaburi.Yes I have been there several times with visitors from the UK and I do take offence (as an ex-serviceman) about moronic comments from morons like you.Now crawl back under your slimy rock.

So.....am I be racist if I'm playing golf with an Asian person and I say there's a big slope on the green? Do you the person would be angry?

I doubt it.

Don't think person would be angry, but you will have the "bible basher" of TV out in force demanding your execution

Just imagine the outrage if JC had sent the bridge was bent

Or the Catholic Church in rage with, "the bridge has a slope, but God Bless all the young boys this passage would bring"

To be technically correct JC and the boys built the bridge over the river cock

Did you happen to notice if the bridge over the river cock had a slant to it?

Well, the slopes out there can cool down, we - the Farangs would appreciate being addressed with "Mister" or so but usually it is "He you farang". In writing the official word for us is "Alien", despite not having green skin, four eyes and little antennas.

Jeremy Clarkson can be congratulated once more again - he managed to jack up the viewer numbers as his comment is on the way to go viral. Well done - and all slopes to kindly note, that it goes both ways ;-)

Having lived and worked in Asia for 13 years, I now realise I have led a sheltered life.

I have never heard the "slope" expression used before and if some sensationalists hadn't written this drivel, I would still have been happily ignorant of it's meaning.

same, never heard of it and I doubt very much that Clarkson has either, I watched the show and didn't think of anything weird because the bridge they built did have a slope on it and the guy on the bridge looks like one of the crew

Maybe he should have said there is a lean on it.

The PC brigade would have probably found a racist meaning for that word also.The worlds gone PC mad

Surely the usage of such a term might suggest the user had clue as to its double meaning. I am a couple of years older than Jeremy and was born in the UK. I know what the term means. A true proffessional should know not to abuse the privilige by belittling those unfortunate enough to be caught on camera with them. A sign of pompousness at its worst.