Clampdown coming on multiple tourist visa runs

Once and for all Visa runners ARE NOT tourists grrr whistling.gif

It depends.

1. A foreigner running for a visa, ie going from Thailand to a Thai consulate in a nearby country and then returning with it to Thailand is a tourist.
  2. A foreigner running with a visa, ie going from Thailand to a nearby country with a tourist visa valid for more than one entry and then returning with it to Thailand, using another entry of his visa, is a tourist.
  3. A foreigner running without a visa, ie going from Thailand to a nearby country and returning under the tourist visa exemption scheme described on this web page of the MFA is a tourist, because such visa-exempt entry is valid exclusively for the purpose of tourism.
  4. This leaves the foreigner who is running with a non-immigrant visa valid for more than one entry or running for a non-immigrant visa, and he is not a tourist by definition.
  • Like 1

Why would anyone want to do border runs every month or so, either to the border itself, or to immigration for renewals? I did a few runs initially but it was really annoying and more of a pain than it's worth. After which, I obtained a legal working visa which was dead easy. If you have no education and don't qualify for employment then you may need to sort that out in your home country and then come back if you can't live without Thailand.

There are other countries you can squat in if you're uneducated, a criminal, or someone who just can't seem to "fit in" back home. Thailand is trying to clean up it's "tourist" problems and if you're one of the latter mentioned, that problem is you.

There are no tourist problems, only ego problems and imaginary BS they make up to make themselves look more important than they are. Any problems the government have are their own doing. Same story everywhere, blame the outsiders. Bureaucrats are basically parasites.

• Like 2

Believe me, if the average visa-abuser was spending 10,000 baht a day, Thai authorities would warmly welcome them.

But they didn't which is why most moved to Cambodia! Go to Cambodia and ask single well off people in their early to mid 50s if they have ever lived in Thailand and if they did, why they left. Ask how many got anything back from their so called 2 million Baht investment visa. Ask single well of people in the early to mid/ late 40s if they have ever lived in Thailand. Ask if what happened to the 2 million investment visa people had anything to do with their decision to live in Cambodia rather than Thailand. It's 10 million now for an investment visa and only someone with more money than sense would even consider it. The government know this full well which is why they tried to rejuvenate the Thai Elite card for 2 million but they still didn't get anyone to bite.

Those people you're describing don't sound like visa abusers. The Thai gov bilked a bunch of people on investment visas and elite cards, that's a different story. Sure, those people got hosed, but they're not the people we're talking about here.

Continuing change and confusion. In the north, they recently extended the time to 30 days for land crossings, but limited this to 4 consecutive visa runs....

This latest change, if true and universal, May well cost the country quite a bit of income.

Actually, I think they are forcing the people who want to retire here to deposit their cash in Thailand. Some guys just won't do it (Like me).

Adios Thailand.....I just flew into the Philippines (where I started long ago) and they are welcoming me very big. 100,000 baht a month for the Philippines that you might of had a chance at.

How do they still walk with all those bullet holes in the feet.

Alas, many rich guys who want to build six million baht homes in the outback and put their life savings in the banks here. They love you.

You know that Thailand's GDP is something like $365 billion USD, right? How many people spending 100,000 a month would have to leave for it to have even a 1% impact on GDP? Over 94,000 people, all averaging 100,000 baht a month, would have to pick up and move for it to create even the slightest ripple in the Thai economy. According to Wikipedia, there are only 200,000 foreigners from North America and Europe living in Thailand so nearly half of the farangs in Thailand would need to be making 100,000+ a month (in order to spend 100,000 on goods and services). Since that seems absurdly unrealistic, considering all of the English teachers, guys living on tight pensions (many of who have already moved when the baht strengthened), and riff raff hanging around Thailand, one would have to assume, if you and everyone spends 100,000 a month and who feels the way you do was given a free one-way ticket out of the country tomorrow, Thailand wouldn't even notice the change.

• Like 1

Believe me, if the average visa-abuser was spending 10,000 baht a day, Thai authorities would warmly welcome them.

But they didn't which is why most moved to Cambodia! Go to Cambodia and ask single well off people in their early to mid 50s if they have ever lived in Thailand and if they did, why they left. Ask how many got anything back from their so called 2 million Baht investment visa. Ask single well of people in the early to mid/ late 40s if they have ever lived in Thailand. Ask if what happened to the 2 million investment visa people had anything to do with their decision to live in Cambodia rather than Thailand. It's 10 million now for an investment visa and only someone with more money than sense would even consider it. The government know this full well which is why they tried to rejuvenate the Thai Elite card for 2 million but they still didn't get anyone to bite.

Those people you're describing don't sound like visa abusers. The Thai gov bilked a bunch of people on investment visas and elite cards, that's a different story. Sure, those people got hosed, but they're not the people we're talking about here.

mmmm, Are yousure that those people arn't the ones getting slagged here? Reading behind the statement it seems that you feel only the wealthy deserve happiness . Why ? I really cant see how people of modest means inflicts on the wealthy . It is usually the wealthy that inflict on the modest means man .

I have read alot of post bigging themselves up as to IVE GOT A JOB (that pays less than the minimum wage in the UK ).Also the Ive got a visa so they should have so up the charges for them (but not for me) I pay enough at 2000k bt a year.

As an owner of a business here would I employ people that come out with this bitter (for want of a better word) & even nasty I want to to have something better than them nonsence. There is no way & I believe that none of them have held down a job with any man management skills required. Some people can't handle power & theres alot of that type that has posted on this topic (but I'm sure they are real nice people at heart thumbsup.gif )

I wish all them trying to etch out a living & doing visa runs good luck & safe journeys . The most importent thing to come out on this thread is THE COLD WAR IS STILL ALIVEsad.png

mmmm, Are yousure that those people arn't the ones getting slagged here? Reading behind the statement it seems that you feel only the wealthy deserve happiness . Why ? I really cant see how people of modest means inflicts on the wealthy . It is usually the wealthy that inflict on the modest means man .

I have read alot of post bigging themselves up as to IVE GOT A JOB (that pays less than the minimum wage in the UK ).Also the Ive got a visa so they should have so up the charges for them (but not for me) I pay enough at 2000k bt a year.

As an owner of a business here would I employ people that come out with this bitter (for want of a better word) & even nasty I want to to have something better than them nonsence. There is no way & I believe that none of them have held down a job with any man management skills required. Some people can't handle power & theres alot of that type that has posted on this topic (but I'm sure they are real nice people at heart thumbsup.gif )

I wish all them trying to etch out a living & doing visa runs good luck & safe journeys . The most importent thing to come out on this thread is THE COLD WAR IS STILL ALIVEsad.png

Then perhaps I haven't made myself clear. I think people should follow the rules. It doesn't mean that I don't bend and break them from time to time, but, generally, I think that if the Thai government wants to limit people getting back to back visas and thus exploiting a loophole, people should accept that that this is Thailand's choice.

Everyone doing it knows that their usage was not the intent of the Thai government. They've found a way around the rules. Fine. Great for them. But now, Thailand wants to tighten up the loophole. No reason to blast the Thai government for their choice or shout racist comments about Thais or Thailand because something one wasn't supposed to have is now being taken away (or severely restricted).

It isn't about wealthy or poor and their happiness. It's about whether or not Thailand has the right to restrict certain types of foreigners from entering and living in the country. That's up to them. All I'm saying is that we, as a group, don't constitute even a pimple on Thailand's butt when it comes to economic power. Throwing a tantrum and saying that you're going to go live in Cambodia or the Philippines accomplishes nothing more than showing that you think so low of the Thai people that they think that waving a little cash in front of them, and most people are talking about laughably small amounts (100,000 baht per month, LOL), should buy them the right to bypass the law.

BTW, I don't laugh at that person's financial situation but the fact that they think such a measly amount is such BIG money that Thais should be falling all over themselves to keep him from leaving. How little respect does that show towards the Thai people who have opened their home to him?

I love the fact that us farangs bemoan all the corruption and Thais with their hands out but then throw a fit when we can't bribe or influence people with our money.

• Like 2

Then perhaps I haven't made myself clear. I think people should follow the rules. It doesn't mean that I don't bend and break them from time to time, but, generally, I think that if the Thai government wants to limit people getting back to back visas and thus exploiting a loophole, people should accept that that this is Thailand's choice.

Everyone doing it knows that their usage was not the intent of the Thai government. They've found a way around the rules. Fine. Great for them. But now, Thailand wants to tighten up the loophole. No reason to blast the Thai government for their choice or shout racist comments about Thais or Thailand because something one wasn't supposed to have is now being taken away (or severely restricted).

It isn't about wealthy or poor and their happiness. It's about whether or not Thailand has the right to restrict certain types of foreigners from entering and living in the country. That's up to them. All I'm saying is that we, as a group, don't constitute even a pimple on Thailand's butt when it comes to economic power. Throwing a tantrum and saying that you're going to go live in Cambodia or the Philippines accomplishes nothing more than showing that you think so low of the Thai people that they think that waving a little cash in front of them, and most people are talking about laughably small amounts (100,000 baht per month, LOL), should buy them the right to bypass the law.

BTW, I don't laugh at that person's financial situation but the fact that they think such a measly amount is such BIG money that Thais should be falling all over themselves to keep him from leaving. How little respect does that show towards the Thai people who have opened their home to him?

I love the fact that us farangs bemoan all the corruption and Thais with their hands out but then throw a fit when we can't bribe or influence people with our money.

I really don't know how many times this has to be repeted before it sinks in. People doing visa runs are abiding by the rules otherwise they wouldn't get a stamp to enter. As to it isnt about wealth ,please dont insult my intelligence. Some people really dont need much to have in their way a happy fulfilling life. Who are you to judge that is wrong or their life here is no good because they live a certain way.

As far as I can see it isn't Thais that are trying to get rid . It is people like you that think you are better than them because you can compeat with your next door neighbour for the most new curtains.

You see you say one thing then contradict yourself.

Can you point me to where farangs are bemoaning ? The only peoples moaning here are those that have such a sad life that they would like to trample on what they percieve are the lower class's. When infact they get less pay than a Mcdonalds dish washer that works in the UK really really pathetic isn't it.

You really are living the dream ,dear me. What a nice man I love working class snobbery dont you thumbsup.gif

I agree with cJoe -- If the buzz is that this month Thai Consulate 'A' will give a double entry Tourist visa but Consulate 'B' will not and then the next month the buzz is that 'B' will but 'A' will not, that is a concern for the Thai MoFA. 'Can't blame the visa runner for that if all information provided to get the visa is truthful.

My posting on this topic has only been to the attitude of "Doesn't the Thai Government realize what a great input we visa runners have to the Thai economy?" to which my answer is generally 'Yes, they do," and they seem to have no great urge to modify the visa/extension rules to better accommodate such persons.

Q: Where does tourist money come from?

A: Outside Thailand.

Q: Where do tourists spend their money?

A: Inside Thailand.

Q: How does money from other counties spent in Thailand, benefit the Thai economy?

A: Countless way... it would seem.

Q: Why then would you want to discourage tourists from staying as long as they want?

A: Hummmmmm.... let me get back to you on that...

The best reason that comes to mind is, because we can. If you are looking for common sense and reason, you have come to the wrong country my friend. One does not exactly expect level headed policy making from the Yingbat, and her untalented aides and ministers. Do you actually think they would encourage us to stay here? It appears Thailand is after the short term tourist, and not the long stays. That has been apparent for quite some time.

Â

Â

Q: How does money from other counties spent in Thailand, benefit the Thai economy?

Â

Q: Why then would you want to discourage tourists from staying as long as they want?

Â

I think they are not trying to discourage tourists, even long term ones. Rather they are trying to discourage people from living here more or less permanently on visa runs.

Â

The Thai Government's position has always been that there is no problem with expats living in Thailand provided that they have a visa appropriate to their stay. Nothing wrong with that. Every country is the same.

Exactly! A sane response.

The average spend according to TAT may well be $137 a day but those staying in Thailand by doing border visa runs aren't the people spending that. Those are genuine tourists and the border run types are most probably the low end spenders, so if stopped, Thailand doesn't lose much, maybe just a few problem 'tourists'.

its not like foreigners are depriving thai's of jobs/work or abusing any benefit system... i understand they dont want the riff raff here long term but effective policing would see off these types.

I have lived here in Thailand 8 years now. I sometimes make the visa runs too.

I am under 50 years old.I have been married to my Thai wife now 8 years almost 9.

I happen to be still working, I work as an Engineer for an American Company.

I do not work in Thailand. Mostly China and Mexico. I go back and forth for work.

And I am Paid in the USA. Sometimes I stay in country 2 or 3 months and gone 6.

sometimes 4 months and gone 6. and sometimes 26 days and back 11 days.

I never no. With my age under 50, my travel habits and the problems with

jumping through all the hoops just to get a marriage visa. I just use the 30 tourist visa

and extend as needed. if this rule is set in to effect limiting visa runs. I will have to find

a new way to stay, I have a beautiful home and family here.

What do I do Next.

By the way Nong Kai has had that 15 day rule no for 2 or 3 years

• Like 1

Exactly! A sane response.

The average spend according to TAT may well be $137 a day but those staying in Thailand by doing border visa runs aren't the people spending that. Those are genuine tourists and the border run types are most probably the low end spenders, so if stopped, Thailand doesn't lose much, maybe just a few problem 'tourists'.

Had an individual this past year he arrived by air at Bangkok and received his 30 day visa exempt over the next 6 months he did border hops, that's correct.blink.png When he decided to go home he had 16 Cambodian visas in his passport.facepalm.gif This was done at a crossing that allows unlimited and still does crossing.wink.png He was not a tourist. Has a Buddha wife and 12 year old daughter. He was not a 127 dollar a day spender but he was good for a six pack of Leo going and another 6 pack returning from my wife's shop.burp.gif Every two weeks like clock work.wacko.png

are you guys forgetting about the burmese and cambodians that do visa runs for illegal work?

no, Lao, Cambodians and Burmese get to work on special 2 year renewable permits under the Migrant Labour Scheme insituted under agreements between the three countries.

Sanran;

just an update on our old coversation. I tried ( by myself an with a lawyer) to get my Cambodia GF a L-A ( non immigrant migrant visa.)

Because she already was LEGAL, i e had a passport, she was not allowed to receive this visa.

This visa is ONLY currenlty given to those living illegally in Thailand.

Makes no sense to me but thats the way it is. Luckily i have someone that has a company and willing to allow us to use company papers so she can get her non B visa

At the moment, here in Kamala, i figure 30% of the population is Burmese bith legal and illegal.

Amazing Thailand.

This 30 day/15 day visa run i think is a great idea, They ARE NOT TOURISTS, Many many europeans here in phuket go to Rayong every 30 days an are working illegally. This will make it more expensive for them and hopefully make them reconsider their decision to stay.

I'm alright jack , so you fiddle paper work for your Mrs then condem people who stay here legally. The sooner they filter out wannabe HiSo's the better but Im sure your not one are you nice man

Problem with your reasoning is that it's based on logic. And Thai immigration don't deal in logic.

In anycase, immigration are concerned with the security of the nation, not about how much foreign revenue they can generate.

With all their problems you would think this country would want to increase the number of people spending money, not reduce it.

I know that if my business involved Farangs / tourist I would want the country full of them . The thing is the debate about the Topic has finished as it was BS by some rag in Puket. People are posting here because they are at their wits end because people go on border runs. No I'm not making it up ,it seems it really encroches on their HISO lifestyle when the Mini bus's pass them on their way home from selling timeshares to victims of the scam that gets them all them beautiful things so they can be the true careing person they really are when they arn't doing that really special job of work & not on TV . They are really nice people honest it shows in their post how nice they are , bless

Continuing change and confusion. In the north, they recently extended the time to 30 days for land crossings, but limited this to 4 consecutive visa runs....

This latest change, if true and universal, May well cost the country quite a bit of income.

As the average length of stay for the almost 20 million visitors in 2011 was (per TAT) " ... 9.64 days and an average daily spend of 4,187.12 baht (US$137) per person," the financial contribution of those who stay long-term without non-IMM visas and who might be affected by any of the above changes in regulations most likely would not cost the country a great deal of income.

Long stay guys buy girls houses.

Let's see, 2.5Mbht house over two years = 4,000bht/day

If you like the girl so much you buy her a house , then better get married and get a proper visa.

Yes who would even think about buying a house before he have a visa ???

I really don't know how many times this has to be repeted before it sinks in. People doing visa runs are abiding by the rules otherwise they wouldn't get a stamp to enter. As to it isnt about wealth ,please dont insult my intelligence. Some people really dont need much to have in their way a happy fulfilling life. Who are you to judge that is wrong or their life here is no good because they live a certain way.

As far as I can see it isn't Thais that are trying to get rid . It is people like you that think you are better than them because you can compeat with your next door neighbour for the most new curtains.

Can you point me to where farangs are bemoaning ? The only peoples moaning here are those that have such a sad life that they would like to trample on what they percieve are the lower class's. When infact they get less pay than a Mcdonalds dish washer that works in the UK really really pathetic isn't it.

You really are living the dream ,dear me. What a nice man I love working class snobbery dont you thumbsup.gif

cJoe, let me put this another way:

If ABC Corp, a large company, is using a tax loophole that is meant for small companies to avoid paying taxes, it's legal, no? Otherwise they wouldn't be given the tax break, right? They figured out a way to work the system and what they did, while violating the spirit of the law, was not technically in violation of the law.

So, now, the government decides that too many large corporations are abusing this tax loophole so they tighten the restrictions on the loophole to make it more difficult. So ABC Corp goes on CorpVisa and starts complaining that this is unfair because they got away with it in the past so why is the government now taking away something that they misused in the past.

Tourist visas were meant for tourists. People who were coming to Thailand for a reasonable amount of time. Too many people have abused this system and have used it as a means of bypassing getting an appropriate visa (ED, work, retirement, etc) so the Thai government is proposing/planning on restricting the rules on tourists visas that will most likely not impact the vast, vast, vast majority of tourists but will impact people who have been misusing tourist visas.

With all their problems you would think this country would want to increase the number of people spending money, not reduce it.

And how much do you think expats spend in Thailand? What percentage of the nation's GDP comes from expats? Not enough to even worry about.

cJoe, let me put this another way:

If ABC Corp, a large company, is using a tax loophole that is meant for small companies to avoid paying taxes, it's legal, no? Otherwise they wouldn't be given the tax break, right? They figured out a way to work the system and what they did, while violating the spirit of the law, was not technically in violation of the law.

So, now, the government decides that too many large corporations are abusing this tax loophole so they tighten the restrictions on the loophole to make it more difficult. So ABC Corp goes on CorpVisa and starts complaining that this is unfair because they got away with it in the past so why is the government now taking away something that they misused in the past.

Tourist visas were meant for tourists. People who were coming to Thailand for a reasonable amount of time. Too many people have abused this system and have used it as a means of bypassing getting an appropriate visa (ED, work, retirement, etc) so the Thai government is proposing/planning on restricting the rules on tourists visas that will most likely not impact the vast, vast, vast majority of tourists but will impact people who have been misusing tourist visas.

dear me how sad that you can't see how you are destroying your credability . Have you not seen that the story is BS there are no changes. I dont get why your bothered ,is life so sad ? I have a wonderful smile on my face knowing that the nice people are so crippled that they must put up with people staying here legally on a stamp . The nice people think that its not fair on them. Minimum wage in the UK is now 65k bt a 4wk month

just shows how unimportent the nice people are in their good jobs.

Actually, I think they are forcing the people who want to retire here to deposit their cash in Thailand. Some guys just won't do it (Like me).

Adios Thailand.....I just flew into the Philippines (where I started long ago) and they are welcoming me very big. 100,000 baht a month for the Philippines that you might of had a chance at.

How do they still walk with all those bullet holes in the feet.

Alas, many rich guys who want to build six million baht homes in the outback and put their life savings in the banks here. They love you.

It's only 800,000 but I get your point. I'm 50 in just over 3 years so looks like I will have to chuck a million into a Thai bank and have to consider it being lost. This irks me and is something that has been playing on my mind for some time. The only reason I have a million is because I have not been an idiot and putting that million into a Thai back is something I consider an idiotic act. If I lost it the very next day it really wouldn't matter all that much but that is not the point is it? Exchange rate is pretty good at the moment so if I am going to bring a million, now could be a good time. Hmmm.
The embassy in your country will of course give you a one year visa when you have the money in a bank in your own country also.

Those doing continuous visa runs probably cost the country more than they contribute overall as read coupla years ago foreigners were blocking up parts of the Thai health system.

This morning walking the main street in Auckland, there were several English/Irish accented asking for money: amazing to have 20 begging for money in the space of walking two blocks.

It's become a bit of a problem with those from Europe staying in backpackers/hostels, then returning to steal food, have showers etc. after they have left....they would pass unnoticed having free meals/getting donated food bags from charities here too.

I meet many who go to Asian countries to teach ESOL and on returning they have no job or little or zilch savings.

However, I'm aware that many European retirees have contributed with initiatives and are putting money into the economy and contributing towards the Thai community in lots of ways. But they wouldn't be those doing sneaky visa runs and not working legally.

I

• Like 1

its not like foreigners are depriving thai's of jobs/work or abusing any benefit system... i understand they dont want the riff raff here long term but effective policing would see off these types.

I have lived here in Thailand 8 years now. I sometimes make the visa runs too.

I am under 50 years old.I have been married to my Thai wife now 8 years almost 9.

I happen to be still working, I work as an Engineer for an American Company.

I do not work in Thailand. Mostly China and Mexico. I go back and forth for work.

And I am Paid in the USA. Sometimes I stay in country 2 or 3 months and gone 6.

sometimes 4 months and gone 6. and sometimes 26 days and back 11 days.

I never no. With my age under 50, my travel habits and the problems with

jumping through all the hoops just to get a marriage visa. I just use the 30 tourist visa

and extend as needed. if this rule is set in to effect limiting visa runs. I will have to find

a new way to stay, I have a beautiful home and family here.

What do I do Next.

By the way Nong Kai has had that 15 day rule no for 2 or 3 years

To be fair. You are not really living in Thailand. You stay 2-3 months and then you are gone for 6 months.

You spend a lot more time outside than inside Thailand

Everyone complaining should remember how difficult it is for Thai people to come to Europe or other western countries as tourists. If they like to stay there for many months or years. It's nearly impossible to do that

Edited by larsjohnsson

Those doing continuous visa runs probably cost the country more than they contribute overall as read coupla years ago foreigners were blocking up parts of the Thai health system.

This morning walking the main street in Auckland, there were several English/Irish accented asking for money: amazing to have 20 begging for money in the space of walking two blocks.

It's become a bit of a problem with those from Europe staying in backpackers/hostels, then returning to steal food, have showers etc. after they have left....they would pass unnoticed having free meals/getting donated food bags from charities here too.

I meet many who go to Asian countries to teach ESOL and on returning they have no job or little or zilch savings.

However, I'm aware that many European retirees have contributed with initiatives and are putting money into the economy and contributing towards the Thai community in lots of ways. But they wouldn't be those doing sneaky visa runs and not working legally.

I

I dont do sneaky visa runs as you put it .Having said that can I ask what is a sneaky visa run ?

People go to the border get a stamp in their passport what is sneaky about that ? As to working well thats up to them & if they get caught working then they will be kicked out . Although it is only by an accident of birth that they are breaking the law if working.

All these mega rich farangs wanting all these people kicked out . Lets face it if the posters on here really was up in the HISO range they wouldn't even see these people.

Anyway another day & I just love dosing around . I will like it even more while I think about the nice people at work conning people into buying timeshares . Then claiming a border runner is scum & not wanted. Land of scams . Be lucky you border runners

I

I dont do sneaky visa runs as you put it .Having said that can I ask what is a sneaky visa run ?

People go to the border get a stamp in their passport what is sneaky about that ? As to working well thats up to them & if they get caught working then they will be kicked out . Although it is only by an accident of birth that they are breaking the law if working.

All these mega rich farangs wanting all these people kicked out . Lets face it if the posters on here really was up in the HISO range they wouldn't even see these people.

Anyway another day & I just love dosing around . I will like it even more while I think about the nice people at work conning people into buying timeshares . Then claiming a border runner is scum & not wanted. Land of scams . Be lucky you border runners

" all these mega rich farangs" ?

Your income need to be 65k baht to get the one year visa. That's like the minimum wage or less for farangs in western countries.

If you don't have that or is younger than 50. The Thai Embassy will be happy to give you a double or triple tourist visa

Edited by larsjohnsson

I

The rant against the rich farangs and the timeshare stuff is getting a little old. Try something new.

I think the problem you're having with this thread is you seem to be unable to distinguish the statement of facts with people passing judgement. I could care less if you have abused the tourist visa system. I've done it before. I don't even care if you work. Doesn't bother me or even concern me in the slightest.

But, I don't feel sorry for you or anyone else who has abused the tourist visa. Just like I don't feel sorry when I see someone getting pulled over for a speeding ticket (even if I was speeding too). You exit my conscious thoughts before I get to the next offramp. I don't look down on you because I assume you're adult and you can make adult decisions and deal with adult consequences of those decisions.

I may think getting caught sucks but just because I explain to you that the speed limit is 100kph, doesn't mean that I'm looking down on you or think that I'm better than you. It simply means, the speed limit is 100kph and the police have done nothing wrong in issuing you a ticket.

Now, the fact of the matter is that you've chosen to live in Thailand and you have to live by their rules. If you don't like their rules, you're free to leave. As much as your personal beliefs dictate that you are a citizen of the world and should be able to live where you want and do what you want, in the real world, there are rules.

It doesn't seem to have discouraged the riff raff too effectively over the last few years.