British tourist dies following Jet Ski accident at Pattaya Island

webfact

A tragedy and the people hiring out these machines should ensure that the customer is licenced to ride one.

Yeah, right. Like thats gunna happen in Thailand... Not!

And of course if you require a licence, accidents won't happen because having a licence means you'll be sober and intelligent. Licensing laws, even back in the Australian paradise, haven't eliminated road or boating accidents, have they?

No, but along with proper policing, they have reduced gthem remarkably.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nasty way to go.

RIP

Best thing is to ban all Jet Ski's, it would stop this can of thing and get the thugs off the beach.

best thing is not rent them.

if nobody rent them, then they will not get any money and they will leave soon.

if you not like something, the best way is to vote with your feat.

walk away from it and stay away.

when everybody do that, the thugs will be gone soon.

but hey, the person who rents it, he will never be to blame, because he is a farang, and he is very smart and knows exactly what he is doing

and he is realy sober, even from the last few days he is sober and he is well educated on the thing that he will be driving on.

etc etc etc.

and yeah, I come already over 15 years here in thai, I rent my car when I need one, or a bike when I need or want one.

never had an accident yet, not here in thai and not in my own country yet.

because I never drive and drink, not even 1 beer and I try to be very carefull.

not even had a close call yet here in Thailand while I was driving.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

A tragedy and the people hiring out these machines should ensure that the customer is licenced to ride one.

Didn't know there were jet ski licences..

Under the Thai 1913 Navigation act. which is still current today, all vessels, including jet-skis, need to be registered with the Harbor Department. A person driving a jet-ski must hold at least a Helmsman Level 2 license, a qualification that requires two years’ documented proof of experience aboard a Thai-flagged ship.

Without this, one is not legally licensed to ride a jetski in Thai waters.

Another sterling example of unenforceable and/or unenforced laws in LOS. It's all about enforcement, people.

• Like 1

• Jet ski should wear safety helmet as sometimes hits coral that may cause life

Are you real??????

Does the use of Google Translate constitute violating the "no foreign languages" rule on ThaiVisa? whistling.gif

Pieter 1964.

Reading your spelling and grammar, one could be forgiven for judging you as being drunk.

How do you know the deceased was drunk?

RIP

Edited by soihok

Is there such a thing? Surely point out restricted areas would be better?

Another self-absorbed poster who can't be inconvenienced to read a short thread before posting. At the very least, shows disregard for the contributions of other members. bah.gif

Mr. Campbell was seen driving the Jet Ski at some speed and was seen to come off when he struck a rope used to anchor a boat. He sustained a 20cm long laceration across his neck and was losing blood quickly.

See more at: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/122306/british-tourist-dies-following-jet-ski-accident-at-pattaya-island/

Fortunately he did not kill any other people (Thai of Farang).

Edited by Rimmer
Crass comment

Whatever happened to the 72million baht hospital boat that was launched with huge fanfare several years ago with a full on board operating theatre & was supposed to deal with accidents such as this??Someone made some serious money from it.

Isn't it moored alongside the Air Force blimp, that can't fly as it's full of holes ?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Didn't know there were jet ski licences..

Maybe they don't have them here, in Australia you must be licenced.

Same in Spain.

Pieter 1964.

Reading your spelling and grammar, one could be forgiven for judging you as being drunk.

How do you know the deceased was drunk?

RIP

I am very sorry for my spelling and grammar, but English is not my main language.

I don't know if he is drunk or not, but I have seen many drunks in Thailand doing very stupid things.

I've been on dive boats out at the islands many times and seen idiots racing past within meters of the boat, with divers and snorkelers in the water. If he managed to collide with an anchor line then he had no way of knowing what might be coming up the other side of the boat. Sorry, no sympathy from me.

• Like 1

1. Under Thai law, jet-skis may only be operated by people holding a valid Thai sea captain's license but the regulation is rarely checked or enforced by officers on the island.

2. There have been a few distressing stories about false damage accusations when riders return jet-skis. The most publicized of all was when in late 2009 a British documentary called Big Trouble in Tourist Thailand showed footage of JJ, a Patong based jet-ski operator threatening Jack, a British marine, over dubious jet-ski damages at gunpoint. In a short while it got more than a million hits on YouTube.com alone. This episode, as well as increasing complaints from aggrieved riders, changed the entire jet-ski business in Phuket. New regulations have since come out that all jet-skis must be insured, but not all operators obey them.

A good number to remember if you decide to try a jet-ski is 1155. It is the Tourist Police’s phone number.

1. Under Thai law, jet-skis may only be operated by people holding a valid Thai sea captain's license but the regulation is rarely checked or enforced by officers on the island.
  2. There have been a few distressing stories about false damage accusations when riders return jet-skis. The most publicized of all was when in late 2009 a British documentary called Big Trouble in Tourist Thailand showed footage of JJ, a Patong based jet-ski operator threatening Jack, a British marine, over dubious jet-ski damages at gunpoint. In a short while it got more than a million hits on YouTube.com alone. This episode, as well as increasing complaints from aggrieved riders, changed the entire jet-ski business in Phuket. New regulations have since come out that all jet-skis must be insured, but not all operators obey them.
  3. A good number to remember if you decide to try a jet-ski is 1155. It is the Tourist Police’s phone number.

Maybe next week we will see these licences being sold along beach road for a couple of hundred baht.

Seems to be a trend. Last month, it was another British Man with no skills ....crashing into speedboats...now this. Please control yourself on these things. I do not now if they do water sports at all in England...but it would be a good idea to take some basic safety course...and learn how the things operate.....common sense...slow it down if you have no idea what you are doing.

Why would they do water sports in Britain - it's only an island after all,

Tragic accident and tragic loss of life.

A German friend of mine saw his son killed here several years ago, this time it was paragliding. These activities are all dangerous and no one cares about any rules or safety standards here, as long as you've got the money.

Edited by Rimmer
Flame

Rather than postulate about the short comings of regulations and Health & Safety in Thailand.

Nothing can regulate against Human Behaviour.

This is a Tragedy as is any innocent Loss of Life , particularly on a Holiday when 'Care Free' is the normal attitude

R.I.P.

coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Licenses, limiting horse power etc wont stop accidents from happening. Unfortunately life is quite deadly. RIP, make sure to be on the lookout for obstacles and don't ride too close to the shore line if boats are present.

Repatriation UK to Thailand £2,100

http://www.stevenmearsgroup.co.uk/repatriation/repatriation-to-thialand.htm

Repatriation Thailand to UK --------allegedly £30,000

Whilst sorry for the boy I will not be contributing to the repatriation unless someone can explain the discrepancy in costs

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2586600/Family-British-barber-killed-tragic-jetski-accident-holiday-Thailand-raise-30-000-bring-body-home.html