The "H" word now seen by many as mildly offensive and dated

Jingthing

I think the terms yobbo and bogan are offensive. Both of which I have been called.

From http://www.city-data.com/forum/australia-new-zealand/600668-bogan-vs-yobbo-vs-redneck.html :

A bogan is someone of the lower income bracket and is the only one that is determined based on socio-economic grounds. However, a bogan's actions are another determinant. A bogan will act "Aussie": cars, beer, jimmy barnes etc. Bogans often are actually very nice people.

A yobbo on the other hand can be from any socio-economic class, usually the middle class, and they are usually younger (16-30). Yobbo's are more obnoxious, arrogant and loud -- the type to wear the Australian flag around their neck at the Big Day Out Festival. They'll always abide by the "stereotypes", like wearing thongs on a wet 10 degree day and drinking a beer at the most inappropriate times -- just so people know they are Australian.

A redneck can be from any class, including the upper. Rednecks are more racist and condescending towards others and are usually of the older age bracket.

It might have to do with your appearance or behaviour - but I do not see any relation to this thread at all.

First I thought these were other terms for gay people, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the terms yobbo and bogan are offensive. Both of which I have been called.

From http://www.city-data.com/forum/australia-new-zealand/600668-bogan-vs-yobbo-vs-redneck.html :

A bogan is someone of the lower income bracket and is the only one that is determined based on socio-economic grounds. However, a bogan's actions are another determinant. A bogan will act "Aussie": cars, beer, jimmy barnes etc. Bogans often are actually very nice people.

A yobbo on the other hand can be from any socio-economic class, usually the middle class, and they are usually younger (16-30). Yobbo's are more obnoxious, arrogant and loud -- the type to wear the Australian flag around their neck at the Big Day Out Festival. They'll always abide by the "stereotypes", like wearing thongs on a wet 10 degree day and drinking a beer at the most inappropriate times -- just so people know they are Australian.

A redneck can be from any class, including the upper. Rednecks are more racist and condescending towards others and are usually of the older age bracket.

It might have to do with your appearance or behaviour - but I do not see any relation to this thread at all.

First I thought these were other terms for gay people, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I am sure there are gay bogans and yobbos that would like some clarification

• Like 1