How many hours at Immigration without appointment

MrBrad

I'm due to renew my annual retirement extension next month, and I see that all appointment times on the Immigration website are booked for the next 3 months or more.

Can anyone give an expected wait time if one shows up at Immigration without an appointment? What time of the day may be the best to arrive and get this accomplished in one visit there? Thanks.

Different queue for doing tourist extensions vs. retirement extensions. Did retirement extension two weeks ago on a Wednesday. Arrived at 6:15, got in line by the door, joined the scrum when they opened the door at 7 am to hand out the pre-queue numbers. Saw the immigration officer by 9:30, out by 10:15 am.

A friend came at 6:45 am, joined the line which snaked way into the parking lot by that time and lot one of the last numbers for the day for a retirement extension. She was told to come back about 2 pm once she finally cleared the prequeue process about 9 am.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend arriving after 6:30 if you want to get a retirement extension. Once they hand out all the numbers for the day, they don't hand out numbers for the next day.

Or if you can spare 5000-7000 baht, have a visa agent do it for you. They'll tell you to show up at immigration at a specific time.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

Are there really that many more retires in Chiangmai Mail than Pattaya, or is the immigration office totally inefficient? Last 2/3 years in Pattaya it's been almost instant service, maybe a queue of 1or 2 and come back in an hour to collect the passport containing the bright shiny new extension.

• Like 1

Phuket is also very efficient, and straightforward. The expat 'helpers' tell you exactly what you need, and help you fill out the forms, and then you get a number. It still takes a couple of hours, but it's quite civilised, compared to up here. I needed a re-entry the other day, and it took about 2 hours.

I thinks it's really just hit or miss. There is no formula. Only last year I could not get an on-line appointment for my June extension. I expected the worst and brought a good book. I got there later than I had hoped (mornings are difficult for me). I think it was about 7:45 and either a Tuesday or a Thursday when I got there and got my queue card. There was a lot of confusion when the doors opened and I just headed straight up the middle to the counter. There were maybe 5 people ahead of me while others were frantically pushing and shoving, not really sure where to go or what to do. I got the 2nd queue card and after the national anthem I sat down expecting I'd be there for some time. By about 9:45 they called my queue and I was told to go to the back desk to see the same officer who has done my extension each year for the past 6 or 7 years. He never says a single word to me - ever. After finishing my business with him I only had to wait about another 30 minutes to get my passport back. So basically I was there for about 2 hours and 45 minutes total. I was on my way by 10:30.

Who knows, had I gone the next day I might have been there all day. I guess it was just a matter of luck.

• Like 1

About six months ago arrival at 7:30 for a retirement extension seemed to work OK -- not now. You'd think that "high" season would be cooling off, but when I was there two weeks ago, the pre-queue line was teeming with Chinese. Hadn't seen so many Chinese before. I wouldn't have thought they're getting retirement extensions, but somehow the wait has gotten longer for us old folks, too.

Never having been to Immigration in Phuket or Pattaya can't comment on whether it's the high number of customers in Chiang Mai or the inefficiency of the staff compared to those in Phuket and Pattaya. I do recall going to a public presentation several years ago by a head honcho from CM Immigration and he said that the CM office was the smallest in Thailand on the basis of customers served -- in other words, they served the greatest number of customers per square meter of office space of any office in Thailand. The next busiest office wasn't even close. That should tell you something.

Edited by NancyL

Are there really that many more retires in Chiangmai Mail than Pattaya, or is the immigration office totally inefficient? Last 2/3 years in Pattaya it's been almost instant service, maybe a queue of 1or 2 and come back in an hour to collect the passport containing the bright shiny new extension.

just a thought do you have to do your extension of stay at the place(city)you live in or can you do it at any imm office in thailand

just a thought do you have to do your extension of stay at the place(city)you live in or can you do it at any imm office in thailand

Pretty sure you have to do it in the province where you live.

Have your people wait on your behalf, like any rational person does.

Who would " my people" be?
An accountancy/visa firm of your choice.

Waste of money. Plan it properly and it's relatively painless.

How do you plan it properly when there is only 10 available appointments and 25 people planning properly?

Made a wrong booking on the 8 April. Might need to cancel it, will check with immigration if it can be used with different name

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

April 6 is my due date. Thanks just the same.

To answer a few questions -- you have to go to the Immigration office where you live. For example -- they often ask Hubby for proof of address when he does his extension because they aren't used to seeing his face around the office -- I do his 90 day reports for him. (although I don't know why anyone in his right mind would use the CM office when he lived in another province)

Tourist extensions use a different "desk" than retirement and marriage extensions -- they have more queue numbers available each day and you can arrive later in the day and be assured of getting your tourist extension. Still, I wouldn't come after 9 am to get a tourist extension, but I must admit I don't pay much attention to the tourist extension counter, except to marvel at how they sail thru the queue numbers. Why can't they process retirement extensions that quickly?

About the on-line queue system -- you really have to be organized to snare an appointment. You can apply for an extension 30 days before expiration. So, get out a calendar and count 130 days ahead of the expiration of your extension. Note the date and start to go on-line four or five times daily on that day until you find an open slot. It may take 4 - 5 day, but eventually you'll find an open appointment. I've done this for a couple years and been able to get appointments. This system has never failed. Those who say they can't get appointments aren't starting to look 130 days ahead of their extension expiration.

Edited by NancyL

Made a wrong booking on the 8 April. Might need to cancel it, will check with immigration if it can be used with different name

You don't have to wait until April 6th, you can do it up to 30 days prior and it still will run from April 6th.

• Like 2

You don't have to wait until April 6th, you can do it up to 30 days prior and it still will run from April 6th.

Or he can doo it on April 8 and pay a 2,000 baht fine.

Cheaper than the people paying 5,000 baht to have some one else do the paper work and make the time arrangement that they have to come in at.

• Like 1

Cheaper than the people paying 5,000 baht to have some one else do the paper work and make the time arrangement that they have to come in at.

I wouldn't pay for an annual extension, buy hey it's their money and if they are willing to pay and it lessens their stress, why not?

• Like 2

I wouldn't pay for an annual extension, buy hey it's their money and if they are willing to pay and it lessens their stress, why not?

Well I am not that infirm yet and would not pay it either.

I was just showing him he did have a choice. It is a 1,000 baht a day fine.