Toyota service argument, advice?

sms747

I have said before I know nothing about cars. But when I read on the web that a new Toyota Vios needs a service every 10k OR every six months I think our car is in need of a service. it's 18 months old and after the first 1k when it was in for an oil change it has never been serviced. The mrs is of the opinion that if you try and get a service before 10k they will charge you. i do not think this is true and as it's only done 5k the 3 years free service would be up by the time she got to 10k in it. Can anyone give me some advice on this, her idea seems to be drive it until a problem shows up then take it in!!

I have a new Vios and it gives me 4.7 km per litre. I took it in for check and they found nothing wrong. I drove long distances, per their request, and it did 10 km per litre. Still too low.

I will go in for the 1000km this week. I will insist on a full check up, not just a windows based tablet hookup below the steering wheel and I will not be impressed by all the little numbers flying by.

I am already going to bring up the Thai version of the consumer protection service if they tell me all is ok.

You will NOW have to pay full price (labour and consumables) for a service because you have not kept to the service schedule.

If you take it in on-time (6 monthly) then you would have had to only pay for the Consumables.

Also, your warranty is probably void!

I was charged full price because I took a car in at 23000 KM instead of 20000 KM, but even then, that was not expensive.

Edited by Satcommlee

I have a new Vios and it gives me 4.7 km per litre. I took it in for check and they found nothing wrong. I drove long distances, per their request, and it did 10 km per litre. Still too low.

I will go in for the 1000km this week. I will insist on a full check up, not just a windows based tablet hookup below the steering wheel and I will not be impressed by all the little numbers flying by.

I am already going to bring up the Thai version of the consumer protection service if they tell me all is ok.

I measured our last fill up and it did about 9k to a litre, or just under. She only drives about 40k an hour, you can always convert it to gas for about 20k. They do not seem very fuel efficient Thai consumer protection, is there such a thing?

Edited by sms747

I measured our last fill up and it did about 9k to a litre, or just under. She only drives about 40k an hour, you can always convert it to gas for about 20k. They do not seem very fuel efficient Thai consumer protection, is there such a thing?

If she did only 5K km in 18 months,it will take a long(!) time to recover the 20+K cost of conversion to gas.....

...and the labor for oil change is not that much....I'm guessing 300+ Baht?!...but if they say,that the warranty is gone,than just buy recommended oil from them and change oil at the fuel station/mechanic and it will cost only 100+ Baht wink.png

Friends are screaming at me to convert to e85. Cost is about 23 baht per litre. Conversion about 15k. I do drive about 12k km per year, so it may be worthwhile.

No I have no intention of converting to gas-enough money wasted already! anyone know about this coolent (pink stuff) and how to top that up, assume you can DIY that?

There is marks on the top up bottle, fill to the low mark.

Mrs has a Yaris same 1.5 engine as Vios which I drive and always get 12 or more to the litre, sounds like the ECU fueling is not set up right, the problem is finding a decent Toyota dealer that can set and check things correctly.

From new 2008 we have had it serviced every one year, stopped taking it to our Toyota dealer after first service, our local ' Cockpit ' franchise has taken care of it ever since and we have had no problems at all.

That said maybe not all Cockpit workshops like Toyota workshops are the same.

Considering they advertise it as 16KM/L, you'd have a case if you wanted to push it...

• Like 1