Working on an O Visa

Gentlemen

I have lived and worked in Thailand for over thirty years with a work permit and have an O Visa, I was never encouraged to change it to a B visa as stated in a previous post. Could I have been in violation of the law with an O Visa and a valid Work Permit, reissued every year.

Some people use the term 'O' Visa to speak of O-A ... I have read that one is not allowed to work on an O-A Visa.... But I know for certain that my 'O' Visa does not allow work in Thailand... I had to review a document upon issuance of my 'O' Visa that I was NOT ALLOWED TO WORK IN THAILAND...

So -- I wish it were so that such things that I read are not true and I could take that job I have been offered... And yes - I do have to do 'border runs' ... I think someone has their facts mixed up ... wish it was me.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Some people use the term 'O' Visa to speak of O-A ... I have read that one is not allowed to work on an O-A Visa.... But I know for certain that my 'O' Visa does not allow work in Thailand... I had to review a document upon issuance of my 'O' Visa that I was NOT ALLOWED TO WORK IN THAILAND...

So -- I wish it were so that such things that I read are not true and I could take that job I have been offered... And yes - I do have to do 'border runs' ... I think someone has their facts mixed up ... wish it was me.

And some speak of "visas" when they really have an "extension of stay" !

Edited by thepool

If you have to do border runs, you are not allowed to work.

Non-O 1 year extensions Marriage, you can work.

• Like 1

Not without a work permit you can not

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why would "doing a border run " exclude someone from work ?

All visas does not allow you to work by themselves. You need a work permit to work. With some types of non-immigrant visa and some types of extension of stay you are allowed to apply for a work permit, with other types you are not.

• Like 1

And some speak of "visas" when they really have an "extension of stay" !

Yes - I forgot to add that. For a person newly becoming acquainted with Thailand' rules and Visas about a year ago - the whole subject matter was terribly confusing. I am fairly educated about it now ... but it would take me years to become expert. There always seems to be a different wrinkle. But yes ... a Visa ... I now think of it as a Permit to Enter with a time frame and certain conditions. An Extension of Stay is self explanatory but also having a certain time frame and set of conditions. It took me a while to get a firm grasp on the differences ... as I wasn't immersed in the subject matter being a newbie trying to get here just working on the outer edges. And to get an Extension of Stay one has to have been granted a Visa to enter in the first place - a Visa to Extend with or without conversion to another classification. Seems simple but not when you are looking at it with the wrong end of the telescope.

Edited by JDGRUEN

The work permit issuance regulations only state a non immigrant visa entry is needed to have a work permit issued. They do not define the type. If the work permit office will issue it you can then work.

It is the same to obtain extensions of stay. The rules only require a non immigrant visa entry to obtain certain extensions.

I went to see where I read the prohibitive statement about engaging in work. I found it on the Visa Application Form ... but now notice it says: "Tourist" ... I suppose that means those applying for a Tourist Visa ... not allowed to engage in work ( to paraphrase)... I reread all the normal reasons why a Non Imm. 'O' Multi Entry Visa would be granted -- and I don't fit any of them. The Honorary Thai General Counsel said when issuing it to me that extended touring of Thailand and the region was a valid reason... But my Visa is not classed as a Tourist Visa. So I don't argue with that. I am required to do border runs. Again being a newbie at the time I read the prohibitive statements relative to working on the Visa App. form -- didn't really notice at the time it referred to 'tourists'. However, after reading several posts here on this thread, I am still confused as to whether I could apply for a work permit or not. This is the 'wrinkles' I referred to earlier. I know the highly experienced ones among you folks think it is all straight forward - but some say yes and some say no.

I used to have a work permit on an O-A retirement, not a B business visa.

This topic will always be confusing. I know a few guys who'd worked on a Non-O retirement visa. On that type of visa you're not allowed to work, as you're obviously retired.

That on the other hand changes when applying for A Non-O based on your marriage to a Thai citizen.The laws regarding working on a Non-O, ( Not the retirement) were changed about five years ago.

Even a Multiple entry, Non-), issued by a Thai consulate abroad, allows you to work here. You can leave the country on weekends, do some shopping, duty free, etc...

You're allowed to work either on a Non-O, or a Non-B visa. Of course with a work permit.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

As a matter of interest where are the "O" visa(s) obtained and do they allow a years stay without "border runs" ?

My plain old 'O' Visa was granted by a Honorary Thai General Counsel in Dallas, Texas. As stated he told me I had to make Border Runs and I had to sign a half page form acknowledging such. Plus my Visa stamp that was done at the Airport Immigration when I arrived 18 Jan 14 shows I must depart in 90 days from that date. My 'O' Visa has an 'Enter Before' date of 15 Dec 14. With the allowed Multi-Entries I can come and go over this time period staying a maximum of 90 days at a time upon original entry and any reentries.

RE: Link Below: Go down the page to 'O' --- then go down the page further for expanded info on 'O' ...

Notice the 'reasons' for such a Visa and note that the Honorary Thai General Counsel told me that extensive touring of Thailand and the Region was good enough.. I had spoken with him about visiting old Army buddies and old military sites in Thailand where I had served. Paid $200.00 and was finished in 10-15 minutes. But I had come fully prepared with completed App Form, bank docs showing I had sufficient funds for a one year visit, photos, etc.

http://dc.thaiembdc.org/consular/VISA/Non-Img.aspx

App Form

http://dc.thaiembdc.org/FORM/1a001.pdf

You are not violating the law. You don't need any specific class of non immigrant visa to work. The only requirement is that you have a work permit.

so joe are you saying you can get a work permit when you have a non immigrant retirement visa

You are not violating the law. You don't need any specific class of non immigrant visa to work. The only requirement is that you have a work permit.

so joe are you saying you can get a work permit when you have a non immigrant retirement visa

There is no rule or regulation that says you can't.

If a work permit office will accept the application and issue the work permit you can work. But there are many offices that will not even accept the application much less issue the work permit,

• Like 1

Issuance of a Work Permit and the requirements to issue it are determined by the Labour Office at which the application is filed. The visa requirements can vary from office to office. The only person that can state what is required is the Labour Office, not an individual applicant. Check with your local Labour Office for exact requirements.

If a work permit office will accept the application and issue the work permit you can work. But there are many offices that will not even accept the application much less issue the work permit,

It's not allowed by law. But it's also not allowed to do red lights and drunk driving. Just saying.

I had a 1 yr B visa/extension of stay plus Work Permit for years until during one renewal process the head of the Immigration Office asked my wife (Thai) why was I doing this the hard way with the B visa/extension of stay as it is far easier/less onerous to get a 1 yr O (marriage) visa/extension of stay, and it was possible to have the 1 yr B or O (marriage) visa/extension of stay with my Work Permit. Been following his advice ever since.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

It's not allowed by law. But it's also not allowed to do red lights and drunk driving. Just saying.

There is no law, rule or regulation that says you need a specific class of non immigrant visa to get a work permit. A work permit permit is the only thing that allows you to work your non immigrant visa or extension of stay class has nothing to do with it,

I used to have a work permit on an O-A retirement, not a B business visa.

This topic will always be confusing. I know a few guys who'd worked on a Non-O retirement visa. On that type of visa you're not allowed to work, as you're obviously retired.

That on the other hand changes when applying for A Non-O based on your marriage to a Thai citizen.The laws regarding working on a Non-O, ( Not the retirement) were changed about five years ago.

Even a Multiple entry, Non-), issued by a Thai consulate abroad, allows you to work here. You can leave the country on weekends, do some shopping, duty free, etc...

You're allowed to work either on a Non-O, or a Non-B visa. Of course with a work permit.-wai2.gif

I find your language imprecise and potentially confusing to people. What is a "Non-O retirement visa" ? No such thing ? And what is a "Non-B visa" ? Surely it is a 'Non-Immigrant Visa, Category B' ? Every single letter and word needs to be as precise as possible in all visa discussions ?

• Like 1

I believe the only Non-Imm visas that you cannot work on are the Non-Imm ED (student) visa and the Non-Imm 0-A (retirement) visa. You are on the Non-Imm O (family/marriage) visa, right? If so, then i am pretty sure that is perfectly legal.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

I believe the only Non-Imm visas that you cannot work on are the Non-Imm ED (student) visa and the Non-Imm 0-A (retirement) visa. You are on the Non-Imm O (family/marriage) visa, right? If so, then i am pretty sure that is perfectly legal.

When talking about "visas" are you including " extensions of stay" ?

BTW there is no such thing as a marriage/family "visa"

Please spare us.

Please spare us.

It is important to avoid confusion and misunderstanding to post full and correct information not part and to use accurate terminology, a fact you clearly do not understand

Yes, i am including the extension of stay which comes after the initial visa.

May i know the correct terminology, if not visa?

This is an overview of the different types of visas but not full list - "permission to stay" and "extension of stay" stamps - that are issued by the Thai government for visits or long-term stay. This includes:

• Tourist Visa Exemption: certain passport holders are exempt from holding a visa and will be granted a 30 day "permission to stay" stamp on arrival
  • Visa on Arrival: certain passport holders are granted up to 15 days "permission to stay" on arrival
  • Tourist Visas: applied for before departure for Thailand, this allows the holder a 60 day (plus further 30 on application) "permission to stay"
  • Non-Immigrant Visas: for a stay longer than two months (application requirements vary depending on the reason for the stay)
  • Retirement Non-Immigrant Visas: granted to those over 50 years who can demonstrate financial security (among other things)
  • Permission to Stay: This is the stamp that is stamped in to a passport on arrival in Thailand, regardless of which type of visa that has been issued. It shows the date of entry and the required date of departure
  • Extension of Stay: This is a stamp that is issued by Thai immigration under specific circumstances that allow the holder to stay longer than 90 days

It is also worth noting the differences between a visa and permission or extension of stay as there is often confusion over the different terms; sometimes even government departments use the terms wrongly.

1. A visa will usually be issued outside of Thailand (apart from in the case of a "Visa on Arrival") and will indicate the dates when the holder can apply to enter Thailand.
  2. On entry into Thailand a "permission to stay" is stamped in the passport and shows the entry date and the date by which the passport holder must leave unless they have been granted an "extension of stay"
Edited by MikeandDow

An Non"O" visa may be obtained on the basis of marriage or many other reasons , however it remains simply a Non "O" visa regardless of the reason for issue.

Visas with very few exceptions must always be obtained outside Thailand.