Thai Visa's Private Messaging (PM) system

David48

I often post in the hope of eliciting a response -whether it be a direct question, or a potentially controversial viewpoint.

Yes, of course, there is sometime a fine line between lively talk and troll behavior, but it can become problematical when such posts become overly PERSONAL and form of aggressive goading.

I often post in the hope of eliciting a response -whether it be a direct question, or a potentially controversial viewpoint.

Yes, of course, there is sometime a fine line between lively talk and troll behavior, but it can become problematical when such posts become overly PERSONAL and form of aggressive goading.

Aggressive goading is like the rain from heaven Iand thus, by extension, like mercy). Whether you want it or not, railing against it will not make it go away.

Perhaps you should've studied meteorology

SC

... Edited by Jingthing, A minute ago.

JT ... it really would assist with your street cred if you actually thought what you wanted to say then made a post, rather then coming back and editing it all the time ... it implies a change of thought ... maybe even a sneeky change at that.

Mine are rarely edited ... except for my crap spelling.

... and yes, we all know that editing is OK for 30 mins ... facepalm.gif

Anyone else believe now the OP was about a technical issue? whistling.gif

The OP was never about a 'technical issue'. It was a comment about a considered failing with how the PM system can be manipulated.

totster smile.png

edit/ added a missing word

Edited by Totster

OK, that's an OK distinction I guess.

If there was abusive language in the text of a PM, you can still report it. If it was bad stuff, you'd know it right away even if you couldn't review it again.

You could add an amount of time before a user is allowed to block a PM stream. That would fix this "big" problem.

Also be very careful of taking the story from the OP literally about the recent PM stream. He also implies there are frequent such PMs from the same poster and yes he's talking about me, that cat is out of the bag. I don't even remember the last time I had any PM communication with the OP before today. Yes there has been but not at all recently (so at least last year I reckon) and never any volume of PM threads. I actually use the PM function VERY LITTLE. The OP has painted me as a madman sending out "wacky" PMs with no provocation to many posters all the time. He didn't say that literally but he's painting that picture and it is a bald faced lie. Also don't take his word for it that there was anything "wacky" in the recent PM stream or that what was said was at all abusive in language, and that what was said wasn't provoked by aggressive on forum stalking behavior of the OP. (The PM thread started as a request that he stop stalking me personally on the forum as he knows very well I have decided not to reply to him directly on the forum, so that goading behavior was abusive knowing there won't be a reply. He declined to accept my request, which is his right of course. So that was that. I tried, it didn't work, so I put on block because there was nothing else to say.)

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I just went back and deleted a PM post from December.

Constructively, it may be worth, when receiving treasured PMs, replying immediately, quoting and "Noted". Of course, the quote is not a proof of what was said

Yerfokkindedonthairbytheway, Cowboy

but at least it's an indicator of where to look...

SC

EDIT: Revisionism

Edited by StreetCowboy

Off topic, but I said that? What is that about? That doesn't sound like my writing style. Maybe PM me, ha ha. I have no recollection of that.

It was meant by way of illustration Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

In any case, regarding the issue in the OP if taken literally, I have already suggested a potential easy technical fix to add time until a specific PM thread can be blocked and/or deleted (should the bosses decide it's worth doing). So this is sorted, isn't it?

In any case, regarding the issue in the OP if taken literally, I have already suggested a potential easy technical fix to add time until a specific PM thread can be blocked and/or deleted (should the bosses decide it's worth doing). So this is sorted, isn't it?

The more you go on about this, the more I am inclined to think that the OP was indeed having some kind of issue with you via PM. You just can't leave it alone, your seemingly obsessive need to have the last word in this topic is just another indicator to how your mind works.

Dog-with-bone_zpsc5b86c9f.jpg

cheesy.gif

• Like 2

By the way, using an already current software function to provide a resolution is not a 'technical fix'.

Adding TIME so that users can't delete PM threads or block PM members in that thread right away is not a technical fix? Could have fooled me. There is no functionality of adding any time now. Adding time would be a technical change, no? A simple one I would think for a programmer if they want to go into that code, not that I think it is really justified.

Are you interested in solving the OP's so called complaint, or just pouring on more personal insults when you don't have the foggiest what the actual facts are or how totally full of lies are in the OP's report?

I don't know the psychological motivation of why the OP would shovel such outrageous lies, except that I suspect he was making an effort to push my hot buttons and smoke me out (sadly, that worked).

Edited by Jingthing

By the way, using an already current software function to provide a resolution is not a 'technical fix'.

Adding TIME so that users can't delete PM threads or block PM members in that thread right away is not a technical fix? Could have fooled me. There is no functionality of adding any time now. Adding time would be a technical change, no? A simple one I would think for a programmer if they want to go into that code, not that I think it is really justified.

I really have no idea what you are talking about now, I hope talking nonsense is not another part of your need to have the last word.

Are you interested in solving the OP's so called complaint, or just pouring on more personal insults when you don't have the foggiest what the actual facts are or how totally full of lies are in the OP's report?

Calling it a complaint is kind of an over reaction, we only have your word that the OP is telling lies as even though you claim to have a strong defence you won't post it.

I don't know the psychological motivation of why the OP would shovel such outrageous lies, except that I suspect he was making an effort to push my hot buttons and smoke me out (sadly, that worked).

It's unfortunate that you could not stay away from this topic, even when you assumed (correctly or incorrectly) that it was about you (Carly Simon hahaha). If you had not dropped yourself in it we would all still be none the wiser and this topic probably not even a page long.

"Your life is the fruit of your own doing. You have no one to blame but yourself." - Joseph Campbell

totster smile.png

Sorry, it's not really a technical fix as that implies of course that something is broken. It's an enhancement of the PM system, which exists, which is not broken, which a member here has asked for a change that will allow PM's not to be blocked by users. I am suggesting the idea of taking away this power from users is not good, but adding a time period before it can be done would be more useful.

Calling it a complaint is kind of an over reaction, we only have your word that the OP is telling lies as even though you claim to have a strong defence you won't post it.

I basically already explained this in a previous post and see no point in repeating.

The enhancement I am suggesting solves the OP's supposed issue is to make it impossible for PM users to either delete or block users within an existing PM thread INSTANTLY. Thus, adding time. How much time, I don't know but as the OP complained that he didn't want the thread blocked for a potential further reply and/or as "evidence" for reporting, that could supply this time, as implied in the report of the issue.

Edited by Jingthing

Sorry, it's not really a technical fix as that implies of course that something is broken. It's an enhancement of the PM system, which exists, which is not broken, which a member here has asked for a change that will allow PM's not to be blocked by users. I am suggesting the idea of taking away this power from users is not good, but adding a time period before it can be done would be more useful.

Enhancement ??

You advised with instructions the OP to block the person (yourself) if they were being a nuisance, and referred to this earlier as " I have already suggested a potential easy technical fix"

It was not a fix, or technical, and didn't even address the issue the user first reported.

The OP does not want to block anyone (as he stated, and repeated by me), so your contribution (and I'm not sure why you keep repeating it) is worthless.

The OP simply would like to be able to record and reply to PM's that have been sent, so that users like yourself cannot abuse it. In my mind, the enhancement would be that even if the sender blocks the recipient, the recipient still retains a copy of the previous PM's from that sender.

totster :)

• Like 1

Sorry you still don't understand.

By making it impossible to instantly block and/or delete PM threads, that gives a user TIME to either further respond to the PM in the thread and/or report the thread with it's content intact to moderation.

I've already explained this a number of ways, and yes, that DOES solve the issues of the OP.

He did ask for something ridiculous, that users should never have a way to block PM streams or block PMs from users. That is going to be rejected, you can be sure. I am suggesting a compromise enhancement which I don't think is necessary but it would do the trick.

You say this isn't about user blocks on PM threads, but actually that's EXACTLY what it is about technically.

His complaint resulting from what he saw onscreen (or didn't see more like it) when another user (ha ha) did put a user block on an existing PM thread.

Edited by Jingthing

By making it impossible to instantly block and/or delete PM threads, that gives a user TIME to either further respond to the PM in the thread and/or report the thread with it's content intact to moderation.

I've already explained this a number of ways, and yes, that DOES solve the issues of the OP.

He did ask for something ridiculous, that users should never have a way to block PM streams or block PMs from users. That is going to be rejected, you can be sure. I am suggesting a compromise enhancement which I don't think is necessary but it would do the trick.

I think you are getting increasingly confused, maybe it's time for your nap.

I can't see where the OP has mentioned 'that users should never have a way to block PM streams or block PMs from users', he just wants it to be in such a way as it cannot be used improperly.

Try not to make this complicated.

totster smile.png

His complaint resulting from what he saw onscreen (or didn't see more like it) when another user (ha ha) did put a user block on an existing PM thread.

Well done, you have it !

Surely a user should be able to keep a record of previous messages exchanged before a 'block' is added rather than wiping out all history, that would make more sense to me.

totster smile.png

• Like 1

I can't see where the OP has mentioned 'that users should never have a way to block PM streams or block PMs from users', he just wants it to be in such a way as it cannot be used improperly.

totster smile.png

I give up. You should test this system with a friend and then you might get it.

totster smile.png

I give up. You should test this system with a friend and then you might get it.

I understand the system and it's failings very well.

totster smile.png

• Like 1

OK, that could be done, change the behavior of what is shown to the other user even after a block or delete is effected by another user. Then adding time wouldn't need to be done. Are you saying that? If so, that's a better idea than my original idea. Don't anyone ever say I don't say I'm wrong when I'm shown to be wrong.

Well done, you have it !

Surely a user should be able to keep a record of previous messages exchanged before a 'block' is added rather than wiping out all history, that would make more sense to me.

totster smile.png

Thanks for that toaster ... nailed it ... thumbsup.gif

I just wish to to have a copy of what has actually been sent.

The system, as it stands, a member can send a scurrilous, dubious and sometimes distasteful PM then simply block the recipient from either reading or replying or, if need be, by turning off the permissions and chance to report the PM.

As for the one particular member who thinks this thread is about him ... well, since he is not a Moderator on the Forum it's actually none of his business.

JT, it's probably time to stop now.

Everyone can see your posts for what they are worth.

There is no mention of the poster who sent the original email that made me compose this OP.

What are 'what the actual facts' you write about above? There are no 'facts' ... but maybe a guilty conscious on someone's behalf.

"are or how totally full of lies are in the OP's report?" ... these is no report, just this simple OP requesting a review of the current PM System. So, without a report, there can be no perceived lies. your imagination is over-reacting again.

"I don't know the psychological motivation of why the OP would shovel such outrageous lies" ... JT, people see through your statements and know they are meaningless.

Dude, you've gone on full attack mode against me, but I don't complain.

You've gone into full defense mode ... and no-one is attacking you.

Indeed, this OP was not about Jingthing ... until you made it about you.

This OP is about getting a better PM system that is less open to abuse by some members.

To that end, I would appreciate some input from Thai Visa Admin on this.

• Like 1

JT, it's probably time to stop now.

Everyone can see your posts for what they are worth.

There is no mention of the poster who sent the original email that made me compose this OP.

What are 'what the actual facts' you write about above? There are no 'facts' ... but maybe a guilty conscious on someone's behalf.

"are or how totally full of lies are in the OP's report?" ... these is no report, just this simple OP requesting a review of the current PM System. So, without a report, there can be no perceived lies. your imagination is over-reacting again.

"I don't know the psychological motivation of why the OP would shovel such outrageous lies" ... JT, people see through your statements and know they are meaningless.

Dude, you've gone on full attack mode against me, but I don't complain.

You've gone into full defense mode ... and no-one is attacking you.

Indeed, this OP was not about Jingthing ... until you made it about you.

This OP is about getting a better PM system that is less open to abuse by some members.

To that end, I would appreciate some input from Thai Visa Admin on this.

I'm having trouble following this thread. Is it about media bias against rugby league?