Thieving tuk tuk drivers!

samran

Point the OP tried to make is that not all thais are dishonest and moneygrabbing thieves and that there are, even in the tuk tuk business, thais who act on "the eye of the beholder principle".

I don't think Samran meant that at all......probably/possibly/maybe...........just having a quiet bash at the negy's on here

Kapom !

We are thinking similar.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely! It is another indication of how the Red Shirts are screwing the country and it is probably linked to the rice scheme. And I have it on authority that that particular Tuk-tuk driver is connected to the man in Dubai.

Did you take your meds before writing this?

I asked a tuk-tuk driver in Chiang Mai how to get to a local car park and because it was a fairly convoluted route, he suggested I follow him, which I did. After parking safely I tried to offer him some money but the thieving little turd turned me down flat and asked to borrow my lighter to light a cigarette instead.

I know this shouldn't be necessary, but given the "special" people who make up a large percentage of our brethren on TV (and this isn't even April Fool's Day yet) I feel obliged to tack on this warning for the casual reader:

sarcasmsign.jpg

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

Absolutely! It is another indication of how the Red Shirts are screwing the country and it is probably linked to the rice scheme. And I have it on authority that that particular Tuk-tuk driver is connected to the man in Dubai.

Oh boy. Read my previous post on this thread re. tongue-in-cheek and humor..........

Isn't it time for the powers-to-be to end this absurdity?

It's hard to believe this set off your absurdity detector while you're apparently OK with the usual Farang Fantasy Factory Flood of mindless Thai bashing and imaginary grievances that fill these forums. I bet you also think Fox News really is "fair and balanced."

Point the OP tried to make is that not all thais are dishonest and moneygrabbing thieves and that there are, even in the tuk tuk business, thais who act on "the eye of the beholder principle".

He is correct about that, as we all have experienced that. Some/many people tend to post negative, though not untrue, about thailand, its people and culture. So the topic is to get a positive view about the beforementioned. Whether he is thai or not himself is not relevant.

Amazing that anyone would think it necessary to explain this, but then I felt it necessary to post the sarcasm alert, so I guess it is necessary. Sometimes the mind truly does boggle.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

It's hard to believe this set off your absurdity detector while you're apparently OK with the usual Farang Fantasy Factory Flood of mindless Thai bashing and imaginary grievances that fill these forums. I bet you also think Fox News really is "fair and balanced."

This!

Complements to your surgeon. Humour bypass clearly well done.

• Like 2

I think the clue here is that it was a local rank and OP is a known quantity, otherwise tuk tuk driver would have gone to a store to find change. Still though, nice to know there are some friendly drivers out there.

I once left my wallet in the back of a tuck tuck and he brought it back in one hour with every thing in it. all most hat to slap him to get him to take 300 baht. that was in a tourist area in Chiang Mai.crazy.gif

I asked a tuk-tuk driver in Chiang Mai how to get to a local car park and because it was a fairly convoluted route, he suggested I follow him, which I did. After parking safely I tried to offer him some money but the thieving little turd turned me down flat and asked to borrow my lighter to light a cigarette instead.

Yeez, you both got scammed and fooled in the worst way, a tuk tuk driver who don't claim the fare directly and another one showing the way without charges.

The thing is, you don't know about the biggest and smartest scam in the world, treat people overly nice and charge nothing, ha ha, now you feel guilty and vulnerable.

Your leverage was taken away from you.

Well, I'm pretty sure you get even later. :)

• Like 1

oh lord !!!! and it seems it's contagious !!!! yesterday i had a coconut listed 12THB and the seller left it for 10THB .... the scamming, the scamming !!!!

Where is this country going, 10 TBH for a coconut, I would never pay less than 45 TBH, if someone would approach me selling coconuts for under 40 here in Phuket, I just know I would be scammed.

While many (not all) tuk-tuk drivers are dishonest scammers, I can't see where there's a scam in the story you tell. I'd say the driver actually didn't really have the change (otherwise he'd given it when he realized he wasn't getting paid ... at least that's been my experience when they lie about not having change) .... then he trusts you to pay him next time ... and later you pay him (evidently with no hassle or unfair fare). Where's the scam in this?

So, unless there's something more you haven't told us, it looks to me that your "thieving little runt" (your words) actually did you a favor.

Obviously one needs to be on the lookout for problems in life .... esp. in Thailand. However, too often many falangs accuse Thais of malice, or create problems that were never there in the first place. If you look for trouble in life it will too often become a self-fullfilling prophesy. Accurately differentiating real problems from imagined ones is an art. But for me, I prefer giving benefit of the doubt and would rather get screwed now and then than lead a life of constant pessimism.

Edited by HerbalEd

You are Thai right? Everyone knows that Thai people don't have to pay for anything unless a white guy is watching. The whole country is subsidized by middle class farang tourists paying too much for everything.

http://www.snotr.com/video/422/Eddie_Murphy_goes_undercover

Brilliant. Thak you for this. I wonder if Eddie Murphy still has this, or if he, well and truly, was co-opted by corporate Hollywood?

Years ago I took a tuk tuk to the airport from my hotel in Bangkok. I was flying to Phuket for a week.

I left a couple of things in the tuk tuk when I reached the airport.

Not extremely expensive items, but important things to me.

I was sure I would never see the items again.

When I returned to Bangkok a week later, I checked into the same hotel.

I was told at the desk that they had some things that belonged to me.

The tuk tuk driver had returned the items to the hotel and gave them my description!

I was shocked!

The nerve of this guy!

Yep, you just can't trust them to do what you expect them to do!

Did you count your fingers before you put your money back in your pocket ?

Just checked. Two fingers seem to have gone walkabout. Not to worry, I always struggled to count beyond 8 anyway.

We also have toes to help with the higher numbers.

While many (not all) tuk-tuk drivers are dishonest scammers, I can't see where there's a scam in the story you tell. I'd say the driver actually didn't really have the change (otherwise he'd given it when he realized he wasn't getting paid ... at least that's been my experience when they lie about not having change) .... then he trusts you to pay him next time ... and later you pay him (evidently with no hassle or unfair fare). Where's the scam in this?

So, unless there's something more you haven't told us, it looks to me that your "thieving little runt" (your words) actually did you a favor.

Obviously one needs to be on the lookout for problems in life .... esp. in Thailand. However, too often many falangs accuse Thais of malice, or create problems that were never there in the first place. If you look for trouble in life it will too often become a self-fullfilling prophesy. Accurately differentiating real problems from imagined ones is an art. But for me, I prefer giving benefit of the doubt and would rather get screwed now and then than lead a life of constant pessimism.

I'm really curious, your English seems OK, but where the heck sarcasm-free culture do you come from where this type of humour flies 10000 feet over your head?

It was a JOKE! The whole thing!

He's taking the p1ss out of all the people who believe all tuk-tuk drivers - some even all Thais - are all scammers.

By posting a counterbalancing example as a teaching parable.

His whole point is that there was no scam here, that his suspicions were not justified.

Get it now?

• Like 1

I'm really curious, your English seems OK, but where the heck sarcasm-free culture do you come from where this type of humour flies 10000 feet over your head?

He's taking the p1ss out of all the people who believe all tuk-tuk drivers - some even all Thais - are all scammers.

His whole point is that there was no scam here, that his suspicions were not justified.

Get it now?

I get that he and you are jerks.

The above's a joke. Get it? No, seriously, it really is a joke. 555

Anyway, I guess I'm not on my game today. Suffering jet lag after my return to Thailand yesterday. Actually I love a good sarcastic joke and can normally dish it out with the best of them. However, with an internet conservation's lack of visual and verbal feedback, it's often difficult to detect the subtleties of sarcasm.

Edited by HerbalEd

Let me tell you OP, if that little miss smiley-face conductor on the 133 with her smarty pants 'mai bpen rai kha' and all the rest of it (in THAI by the way! .... when she can clearly see I'm a foreigner) doesn't bother to take my eight baht again simply because she can't get to where I'm standing, I'm gonna create a scene. I made every effort to have that money ready ... honestly, the nerve of 'these people'.

• Like 1

Let me tell you OP, if that little miss smiley-face conductor on the 133 with her smarty pants 'mai bpen rai kha' and all the rest of it (in THAI by the way! .... when she can clearly see I'm a foreigner) doesn't bother to take my eight baht again simply because she can't get to where I'm standing, I'm gonna create a scene. I made every effort to have that money ready ... honestly, the nerve of 'these people'.

For the benefit of the tape and lack of visuals, Songhua is having a laugh.............I think

Get it now?

I get that he and you are jerks.

The above's a joke. Get it? No, seriously, it really is a joke. 555

Anyway, I guess I'm not on my game today. Suffering jet lag after my return to Thailand yesterday. Actually I love a good sarcastic joke and can normally dish it out with the best of them. However, with an internet conservation's lack of visual and verbal feedback, it's often difficult to detect the subtleties of sarcasm.

Subtleties of sarcasm. Sure....

I have a bridge over Sydney harbour that is going cheap. I can offer you a good deal!

how you equate to a tuk tuk to the reds screwing the country is silly.

The reds are screwing the country .

And what planet are you from? Suthep is ruining the country....foreign investment is down and will stay down in favor of other ASEAN destinations that are more stable and have some respect for democracy .