Obec probing Thai school band's tactics in funding overseas trip

webfact

Obec probing band's tactics in funding trip
Supinda na Mahachai
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Office of Basic Education Commission (Obec) is looking into reports that members of a school brass band camped out overnight at a private company to pressure its owner to lend Bt3 million for their overseas music trip.

Members of the Satriwitthaya 2 School brass band received media coverage earlier this week because of their fierce determination to attend an overseas event, which saw them wait for Ichitan Group chairman Tan Passakornnatee from 8pm on March 23 until 5.30am the next morning. During that period, they played tunes and staged shows. In the end, Tan lent them Bt3.1 million.

Obec secretary-general Api-chart Jeerawuth met with the school director Patcharapong Tri-tepha yesterday afternoon, in the wake of news reports. Before the students approached Tan, Patcha-rapong reportedly asked Obec for Bt9.4 million to fund the band's trip to the Color Guard Nederland in the Netherlands.

It is unclear at this stage what Patcharapong told Apichart.

Patcharapong was scheduled to hold a press conference yesterday morning at the school to clarify the band's actions but did not show up.

School officials said Patchara-pong preferred to speak only after the band returned from their trip.

According to the school, the band members should return to Thailand on April 2.

On its website, Color Guard Nederland said the Thai band contacted it months ago asking to compete. The band consists of 53 marching members plus over 20 support staff. At Satriwitthaya 2 School records show the band has claimed several trophies.

However, many people have said on social media that they do not approve of the band's members approaching Tan.

"Why do Thai children just know how to beg for money?" someone posted on a web board.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-29

Is extortion on the school curriculum ?

This is a dangerous precedent and god only knows what will happen next as others catch on. I presume the school authorities didn't object but if there's really adverse publicity they will deny all knowledge and I bet the money won't be returned.

After all it was a ' voluntary ' donation.

• Like 1

20 support staff? I guess someone has to carry the brass instruments and I reckon it took brass brass balls to ask for the money.

Key statement: Don't want to talk until return from overseas.

Upon return from overseas if the band won the competition: "Thai Band Wins World Championship" emblazoned headlines on all media. Band made of darlings.

Upon return from overseas if the band does not win the competiion: -------- nothing, no one wants to hear about that.

Smart move.

I can only begin to imagine what sort of ear-splitting "tunes" that band [of extortionists] must have played to make the Ichitan Group chairman cave in after a mere 9 and a half hours.

It also would've been interesting to learn why that particular company (or in this case, its chairman) was chosen as the extortion victim by that bunch of brass instrument-wielding brats. What IS the connection between the school and Ichitan Group?

The mind also boggles realizing that a new facet to much over-rated "Thainess" seems to have emerged in recent years: If you cannot immediately get what you want (and without having to work for it or giving anything in return), just pull off a protest or throw a tantrum and annoy the heck out of people. But I think Tasujin (post #3 above) has already offered a viable explanation for that phenomenon.

Last but not least, Ichitan Group's chairman "lent" the juvenile extortionists over 3 million Baht. It will be interesting to see to what tremendous effort the band members are going to embark in order to repay that "loan" within a reasonable time frame. Just kidding. We all know that for most Thais the word "loan" is a synonym for "gift", at least when they are at the receiving end.

And just to cap my opinion: I would have immediately pulled my child from that band if I had become aware of that obnoxious "fund raising scheme".

Tan Passakornnatee donated to schools and activities in the past, not sure if to this particular school. It is possible he would have sponsored them anyway, but granted they could have gone about it more politely. Doubt it was made as a "loan" as such.

Probably better ways to spend a few million, when it comes to school activities.

• Like 1

I do not get the negative posts, these kids were thinking outside the box and were offering concerts to anyone present, why give up with a simple request. It does seem the donor was a push over as they where not out there very long and forked over the money.

What I pick up from the earlier post is still the old expat wanting things done the way we do them at home. By the way how do you know they havn't done car washes and other money making functions.

Doubt if the "kids" were thinking much. Pretty sure they are not the ones who homed in on the donor, probably school staff or parents. The "free concert" was given between 8pm to 5:30am. Not sure how many people were willingly present.

• Like 2

A couple of issues:

First, why 20 "support personnel"? Seems to me a bunch of freeloaders trying to bag a free trip.

Second, I'm searching for an article a few weeks ago with the breakdown of band members. I do recall that there is a significant number of former students and non-students that call themselves "band members".

These Students are not adults and should not be misconstrued as being the same as "Protesters".

There is nothing in the Original Post to say there was any "Extortion" by the Band Member Students Camping Out and Performing after normal business hours in front of the Itchitan Group Company.

guitar.gif.pagespeed.ce.Rjd-vqhNlw.gifclap2.gifsmile.png

In all likelyhood, this is a "Publicity Stunt" to bring attention to the "Sponsor" of the trip, Itchitan Group, the School and it's Band, and the struggles of so many other Music Groups and Programs to fundraise and get Sponsorhip to help them attend Competitons and Performances not only Locally, but Abroad.

OBEC should rightly probe the School Administration's actions to decide if it was appropriate or not.

The Students should not be blamed for any misconduct. They are kids and were told to do this activity and were supervised by School Administrators .

All Performing and Competing Community and School Groups Around the World do "Fundraising" and have donations and "Sponsors" to help them exist and to "Participate".

I do not understand all the negative comments on this post, when "Professional Sports Teams" All have "Sponsors".

These performing and competative activities are "Positive" experiences for youth. So to say without any shred of proof that these "Kids" are a bunch of "Extortionsists" and the same as "Protesters" is Ubsurd.

• Like 1

These Students are not adults and should not be misconstrued as being the same as "Protesters".

There is nothing in the Original Post to say there was any "Extortion" by the Band Member Students Camping Out and Performing after normal business hours in front of the Itchitan Group Company.

In all likelyhood, this is a "Publicity Stunt" to bring attention to the "Sponsor" of the trip, Itchitan Group, the School and it's Band, and the struggles of so many other Music Groups and Programs to fundraise and get Sponsorhip to help them attend Competitons and Performances not only Locally, but Abroad.

OBEC should rightly probe the School Administration's actions to decide if it was appropriate or not.

The Students should not be blamed for any misconduct. They are kids and were told to do this activity and were supervised by School Administrators .

All Performing and Competing Community and School Groups Around the World do "Fundraising" and have donations and "Sponsors" to help them exist and to "Participate".

I do not understand all the negative comments on this post, when "Professional Sports Teams" All have "Sponsors".

These performing and competative activities are "Positive" experiences for youth. So to say without any shred of proof that these "Kids" are a bunch of "Extortionsists" and the same as "Protesters" is Ubsurd.

A good post and some good points raised.Sounds like you are a newbie on here and also to Thailand.One word of advice,you are leaving youself open to the hyenas on here.You will get to know them in time.The upside about them is that they do not know what they are,choose whatever word you like.On a slow day they are very amusing.

• Like 1

The kids nowadays don't know what it is like to have to work for their money. Why couldn"r they do car washes or stage concert to raise funds.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's not the children, it's the school. Since when do car washes raise millions of baht as if there isn't one on every street corner these days? Give the children a break.

• Like 2

I can only begin to imagine what sort of ear-splitting "tunes" that band [of extortionists] must have played to make the Ichitan Group chairman cave in after a mere 9 and a half hours.

It also would've been interesting to learn why that particular company (or in this case, its chairman) was chosen as the extortion victim by that bunch of brass instrument-wielding brats. What IS the connection between the school and Ichitan Group?

The mind also boggles realizing that a new facet to much over-rated "Thainess" seems to have emerged in recent years: If you cannot immediately get what you want (and without having to work for it or giving anything in return), just pull off a protest or throw a tantrum and annoy the heck out of people. But I think Tasujin (post #3 above) has already offered a viable explanation for that phenomenon.

Last but not least, Ichitan Group's chairman "lent" the juvenile extortionists over 3 million Baht. It will be interesting to see to what tremendous effort the band members are going to embark in order to repay that "loan" within a reasonable time frame. Just kidding. We all know that for most Thais the word "loan" is a synonym for "gift", at least when they are at the receiving end.

And just to cap my opinion: I would have immediately pulled my child from that band if I had become aware of that obnoxious "fund raising scheme".

"Last but not least, Ichitan Group's chairman "lent" the juvenile extortionists over 3 million Baht. It will be interesting to see to what tremendous effort the band members are going to embark in order to repay that "loan" within a reasonable time frame."

He's already stated that it was a gift that he did not want repaying.

• Like 2

All you Thai children bashers need to step back and take a breath. This incident was the school's decision, the children were not in a position to veto it. Have a go at the school administration, or OBEC, but not the innocent children.

A good post and some good points raised.Sounds like you are a newbie on here and also to Thailand.One word of advice,you are leaving youself open to the hyenas on here.You will get to know them in time.The upside about them is that they do not know what they are,choose whatever word you like.On a slow day they are very amusing.

Agree with you completely but there are actually no hyenas on TV. There are, however plenty of toothless sheep and jackasses.

Never amusing, just infuriatingly irritating, non-sensical and irrational.

Edited by MMarlow

Agree with you completely but there are actually no hyenas on TV. There are, however plenty of toothless sheep and jackasses.

Never amusing, just infuriatingly irritating, non-sensical and irrational.

Give me 5 mins to google another word,I hate being left out.

I have about 50 years experience with school and community performing groups as a performer and instructor.

Not many persons realize what all goes into keeping these communtiy groups afloat. Many of the kids or performers can not afford to participate without support and sponsorship.

In my opinion, much better to keep them involved in these constructive activites that encourage positive social behavior and charachter building instead of kids being left to just do whatever and possible trouble.

I'm Not quite the newbie to Thailand.

Edited by quagmirefg
  • Like 1

the full article in the newspaper speak about these kids as the future politicians

they were not even invited in the netherlands and they did not qualify in anything in thailand either...

you could call this a scam/ripoff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiAIEEzTR08

Street Performance Video of Satriwitthaya 2 Marching Band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPz7D9uepvI

Full field Show 10 minute video of Satriwitthaya 2 Marching Band.

This Band and Auxillary Performers has a long history of Excellence.

Regardless; Every School and Community Youth Group should be entitled to participate and compete.

It is all about the experience and performance aspect of their lives regardless of their point standings in competitions.

All of these persons and groups should be supported, encouraged, and respected for their hard work and efforts.

Not put down on by critics that know nothing of this Performing Arts Form.

Applause to all those Youth in Thailand and Around the World that are involved in Performing Arts.

Edited by quagmirefg

"Last but not least, Ichitan Group's chairman "lent" the juvenile extortionists over 3 million Baht. It will be interesting to see to what tremendous effort the band members are going to embark in order to repay that "loan" within a reasonable time frame."

Just one thought for you to consider. From 53 kids, you can bet your bottom dollar at least 2 have a parent who is a local police officer! Consider that?

Nobody's blaming the kids, but kids don't choose to blast their trumpets and trombones and triangles all night outside a company's gates. I wonder why they did that?

Just one thought for you to consider. From 53 kids, you can bet your bottom dollar at least 2 have a parent who is a local police officer! Consider that?

Nobody's blaming the kids, but kids don't choose to blast their trumpets and trombones and triangles all night outside a company's gates. I wonder why they did that?

Consider what? What has your unfounded speculation about the occupation of the children's parents got to do with this?

On the contrary it seems that a lot of posters are blaming the children and they did it because they were told to do it by the school administrators.

Wow, that's almost 130,000 baht per person. When are they leaving? Assuming this post is dated the 29th of March, and the band was leaving the 30th, the whole stay is 2-3 nights?

A round trip ticket to the Netherlands in economy should be about 60,000 baht. We should assume that the 73 travellers would be sharing rooms? 70,000 baht per person for transport, room and board for 3 nights is darn high.

Also, you would assume Thai Airways would give reduced rates for a group this size as well.

Maybe they bought airline seats for their instruments too??

Wow, that's almost 130,000 baht per person. When are they leaving? Assuming this post is dated the 29th of March, and the band was leaving the 30th, the whole stay is 2-3 nights?

A round trip ticket to the Netherlands in economy should be about 60,000 baht. We should assume that the 73 travellers would be sharing rooms? 70,000 baht per person for transport, room and board for 3 nights is darn high.

Also, you would assume Thai Airways would give reduced rates for a group this size as well.

Maybe they bought airline seats for their instruments too??

Get the facts and figures correct.

Nowhere in the article about the Probe into the Band's Tactics does it say that the Sponsor was pressured into Sponsoring the Trip, or that the Sponsor made any complaints about it.

The Band was at the Sponsor's property performing and camped out after normal business hours from about 8pm night to 5am early morning. Sounds like a "Publicity Stunt" to me by both the Sponsor and the School.

The article also does not say the Band was "Harrassing" and Blasting Horns and Drums at the Sponsor's property and persons. The article says they did concerts and shows while camped at the place.

OBEC is just checking into the appropriateness of this Fundraising.

Remember that this is a School Educational Trip for Performing Arts.

It is no different than a sport team trip or any other School Educational Trip

It is Not just a Pleasure Trip.

52 Musicians, plus 20 Support Ancillary Personnel, equals 72 persons traveling.

3.1 Million Baht was given by the Sponsor. That Equals 43,056 Baht per person. Not 130,000.

That figure does not include the costs of moving and transporting the School's equipment, so the actual "Sponsored" cost per person traveling would be much less.

The article did not say how long the trip was, the actual cost for the School Band, or complete details.

Surely the School and members are paying part of the trip costs.

3.1 Million Baht would be pretty cheap to send 72 people and equipment on a trip to the Netherlands.

Speaking from experience; Around the World a normal band's travel expenses would include Ground and Air Transportation both in Thailand, and in the Netherlands for Persons and Equipment, Room and Board, and any additional Educational Tour costs.

The Band can not be expected to go to a foreign Country and Culture to and just stay in their rooms and practice and perform like "Robots" without getting a chance to see some of that Country and Culture.

In addition to each person's individual traveling expenses, there are significant costs for transporting the School Band's Musical Instruments, Uniforms, and Props that are necessary to compete and perform, which include Large, Medium and Average size Brass Instruments, Drums of all sizes, Percussion Instruments including Xylophones, Marimba's, Bells, and other Concert Percussion.

Plus Performance Props, other Music Performance equipment, and Uniforms.

The amount of equipment necessary to go with that school band would fill about Two Commercial Size Trucks or Shipping Containers (estimate).