Leaving Thailand for China, here is why

MrHammer

Having lived in Thailand since 1992, I feel well qualified to reply to this post.

I have read through it and digested it with interest, and I find it very difficult to pick holes in it.

In the main it is all true.

When I cam here, the ordinary people were very poor, everything was cheap, and therefore the ladies were cheap. They would come from the sugar plantations and rice fields, and to earn 500 or 1000 baht a day was a dream

Now they still come from these places, but thanks to the stupidity of the foriegners, within six months or so, they are walking around like super models, dripping with gold, Iphones, and driving new cars. This is all down to the expat communities and holiday makers.

Yet, these people dont realy want us here, they would much prefer it if we all left tomorrow.

But they know with that, the superstar lifestyle, the gold, houses and cars would go also.

So they tolerate us at best.

Go to a national park for example, why should a foreigner pay twice as much as a Thai to enter ??

Give a tip and you dont even get a thank you. Its expected.

Most of the Thai ladies who have an expat boyfriend / husband have Thai boyfriends, and are funding them with the Farangs money.

I have also given a lot of thought to leaving Thailand, perhaps the Philippines. And my patience with all of this is wearing very thin indeed.

I think a lot of Farangs feel the same, but are in thier comfort zone, and are actually scared or too old to make that leap.

In the main, I agree with everything in this post. So I wish you good luck

• Like 2

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a note to Cosmo #116 -- I was in Beijing and elsewhere in PRChina shortly after the June 1989 Tiananmen Square disaster. They would comment to me personally about the USA's criticism on the democracy movement and say " Who are you to judge? You killed all those (Native American) Indians? I would say something like that was over 100 years ago. They responded So what is 100 years? We've been around for 5 thousand years.

.and the ways Thai's look at many foreigners have to do to some extend also with the behaviour of those same foreigners...

This is a good point.

If anything, it's amazing that the Thais don't look down on foreigners more than they actually do...

Don't need to read the novel to know if you can then all the better. China has extensive international business, an absolutely beautiful country, excellent food & among the most beautiful women in the world. Forever love China...except their exported electronics, clothing, etc., exports asides, an excellent choice for life.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Yes, they probably have the best Smog also

Good riddance.

1. No ones going to miss your 50+ year old complaining ass.

2. Your moving to china because you knows the Thai people are on to the foreigners game. And now want to run somewhere else where they are more clueless and accepting.

3. Why shouldn't the cost of living go up? You have no problem making a ton of money where you come from, but complain when spending it on Thai products and feeding Thai family's with that money.

4. You said it in your last sentence, you'll be back for a "prostitute run". Why? Not enough Chinese girls you can have bastard kids with?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Why do you feel the need to explain yourself here ? No one cares.

totster smile.png

That is what he is "talking" about, people like you. Some countries have figured out that it is easier to send their retards and other undesirables to Thailand with $1500 a month pension or disability then to institutionalize them at home. Just don't get into a fight with a Thai otherwise you will have the entire village on your ass.

The OP has made some great points. I'd gladly move back to China in a New York minute if my company would mail my paycheck there.

But a word to the wise. Take off the rose tinted shades (much like you have for Thailand) or you'll be among the 95 out of 100 foreigners that get taken to the cleaners in China.

A few great opportunities scattered in a zillion mirages that will have you scratching your head in a year or three, wondering how it came down to this- broke, disheartened and on the outside of the company you founded.

Edited by impulse

Why do you feel the need to explain yourself here ? No one cares.

totster smile.png

He's fishing for some more questions to bash and belittle on the Thai people (as if all 65 million Thais are all the same) ..."like" the Thai people forced him to come to Thailand in the first place or stay in Thailand for 10 years.

Boo whoooo ... I'm so sad.

Now I have to pay 60 baht for a beer instead of 50. :(

Waaahhhh. The Thai girls don't flock to me anymore like they used to... :(

Booo whooo .... Clubs aren't the same as they where 10 years ago, yet I'm 50 and still go clubbing?! :(

Waaaaahhhh... I'm moving to china! Thai people are not interesting and mean to me... :(

Sniffle sniffle ... Yet I probably never actually had a real conversation with a Thai person, unless it had too do with asking the price for sex for the night ....

Booo whooo... Thailand's economy is getting better and my money is getting weaker .. Mommy I need a tissue :(

Bye bye Thailand ... Waaaahh ... They will regret I ever left :(

OP as others have said, the list of complaints you have applies to China as well, and on top.of that it is difficult to find clean food and water and clean air is out of the question, even in the nicer east coast cities.

But its got its benefits...Ive got a teaching gig in a study abroad prep, students are very diligent and motivated, something I did not find at the Thai school I worked in Issan.

Either way, good luck.

OP as others have said, the list of complaints you have applies to China as well, and on top.of that it is difficult to find clean food and water and clean air is out of the question, even in the nicer east coast cities.

But its got its benefits...Ive got a teaching gig in a study abroad prep, students are very diligent and motivated, something I did not find at the Thai school I worked in Issan.

Either way, good luck.

I don't find OP post very good, but more like a guy who spend the last 3 years shagging all the girls in Nana,Patpong & Soi Cowboy and are feed up with it all.

I spend 10 days in Shenzhen less than 3 month ago and was very happy when I could get the hell out of there (work). A typical Western food lunch special was app 100 Yuan which is +500 baht. I can get a decent special lunch in Pattaya for app 300 baht.

Pollution, well well, China have big big problems with smog, get your face-mask ready, you gonna need it.

Electrical bicycles are very cheap man, you can get one for app 400US$. In Shenzhen they all carried a big lock so it looks like a lot are stolen so that's about the same as Pattaya, lol.

I been happily married to a very nice Thai lady for almost 10 years and she never puts her own family ahead of me, but always says that we as husband/wife/kid are the most important.

• Like 2

You can always focus on the negatives of anywhere.

I had some hard times by my standards living in Arab countries, but you can always look back and laugh. Its what you choose to make it. We can all think of worse places than Thailand im sure, but if the OP needs a change then good luck to him. Nothing wrong with that.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If everybody would follow ur comment.....bye bye thaivisa...

Not at all, the forum is a great place to find information and discuss different topics. However, no one has asked or cares whether the OP is leaving Thailand or the reasons behind his decision.

totster smile.png

I cared, and I found the OP interesting.

I would like to hear more, I would also like to hear how the OP gets on in China.

Not at all, the forum is a great place to find information and discuss different topics. However, no one has asked or cares whether the OP is leaving Thailand or the reasons behind his decision.

totster smile.png

Not true. I'm quite interested in why he has chosen to leave Thailand, and in fact agree with many of his "whys."

On the other hand, leaving Thailand for China, is like leaving West Virginia for Tennessee.

I agree with most the OP wrote. Of course, it does not apply to all and everyone in Thailand, but it does for a large part.

Why people can still call Thai people friendly, peace-loving, fun-loving, smiling people, interested in the You, not your wallet is beyond me. Where in Thailand do they live, I want to live there too. I sure don’t see this in Bangkok and not in Isaan, either Mueang or countryside, or on the train between the two. Everything is so commercialized, it’s all the money. Granted, it is that way anywhere, but Thais used to at least use smiling friendly service to get your business , now they just grunt with a dismal face and when you then decline with a friendly smile, they look at you like you are the jerk. Well, I at least acknowledge and reply, other people, Thai or otherwise, don’t even do that.

Anyway, I think Thais used to welcome foreigners to better their country’s economic situation, but now after more than a decade, they are tired of foreigners. I think that might/will be the case with China also. Have to admit though, I’ve never been to China so I only know what other people that have been there, tell me about China and Chinese people. And it’s not all positive.

Another point I agree with the OP is the reputation of foreigners, both coming from Thais and other foreigners. When I walk along Sukhumvit, many Thais and farang will assume the same reason for my being there. And of course that assumption does not come with “good on you man, have a great time”. I am actually only there to visit the gym, nothing else.

Ah well, I could write more, but I have to work on my ‘jai yen’ now biggrin.png

Most things you said about this country are true. But I am not sure if heading to another country where you are going to face pretty much the same will solve the problem.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Well said Mr Hammer, I have'nt lived in Bangkok but can relate exactly to what you are saying.

I have lived in Pattaya 7 years and moved south for a quieter life, in total 9 yrs here, it has changed dramatically since 2005 and i don't think you can blame the expats for that !

The Thai's don't look further than today and have ,due to lack of a proper education, no idea of people social interaction, they believe all their success is due to themselves and no other influence.

Have you ever heard one say, thanks for you custom, loyalty, and so on , no. Im still waiting and yes i have pumped millions of baht into the economy over that period ive owned two houses over the 5 mil. mark and am building another on a island. I drive only new motors.

I used to Holiday in Greece, and five yrs in a row ,you could not believe the welcome on each return trip, i still remember that.

All these who say ,oh well ive been married ten yrs and its been ......... yea sure what age are you and how many previous failed ones , yea never mentioned , ofcourse if you meet a nice quiet one half your age etc , thats another subject for another time, but believe me ive met thousands of them.

Go ahead Hammer , leave the losers behind. Most of them are on a small pension and coud'nt support themselves let alone a thai wife back home !

Edited by phanangpete
  • Like 1

totster smile.png

You are just so so painful. Luckily also easy to forget.

Good read.. Well written summary of where you are right now. Staying in a foreign country is like marriage.. Unless you work at it it will get dull and boring and suddenly you think 'the grass is greener' elsewhere.

A lot of the points you make are a good reflection of where Thai is right now.. The 'fun easygoing' factor has disappeared and the arrival of the Internet and mobile technology and the arrival of tourists from the Eastern European (including Russia), Indians, Chinese, Koreans, Middle East etc has and continues to change what Thailand WAS all about..

That's life.. so take your pick.. guess a lot of guys just go home..or in your case move on... All the best

Edited by rmacee

OP, you make some interesting points.

Now here's a few points from someone who lived in China till last year:

1. Yes, foreigners (Westerners only, mind you) are appreciated far more in China vs Thailand. The reason foreigners here are considered "farangs to be fleeced" is the Thai INFERIORITY COMPLEX running amok. I hope I don't need to explain this. Now the Chinese have that complex too, BUT they are also highly interested in learning from foreigners, to copy and paste basically what works. In short, the Chinese want to be Westerners.

2. Yes, there are more business opportunities in China. But the economy is on a downturn now and very risky. Remember, this is not just another Asian country. This is a huge country controlled by 20-30 people (CCP elite). The do lie about everything, and will do anything, just to stay in power. You're moving to the biggest dictatorship in the world. There is no due process there and the local government and police can do whatever they want with you and your business, and your Chinese lawyer would be useless.

3. Cost of living: China is probably the most over-priced, over-rated, country in Asia, especially Tier 1-2 cities. When you see what the rents are, kindly report back here :) Living and dating in Shanghai for example, will compare nicely with Europe and NYC costs.

4. Quality of life: oh boy, prepare for "fake everything", from fake food to fake alcohol to fake...you name it.

5. Tied to #4 above: I hope you're getting your gas mask with you. Google "China air pollution". And it's EVERYWHERE, not just Beijing and the north.

6. The Chinese who have the ways and means are en masse moving out of China. That alone should tell you something :)

• Like 2

Mr Hammer is a growing phenomena.

He derives his income from the internet, and with that is no longer shackled to a specific location.

Countries and the various cities therein are thus reduced to products, each with its own facets and unique selling points (USP).

In years gone bye, Thailand could offer a number of USPs.

Let me use Phuket as an example...

Once upon a time Phuket had a pristine natural environment, a quiet and relaxed outlook and pace, a low cost of living, and pretty and accessible ladies.

All of those USPs have now vanished with perhaps the exception being the later. The girls are still available...but are obessed with materialism...

And so...Mr Hammer, like myself, is now shopping around for another destination in which to set up camp.

He is a smart guy and so he has done his due dilligence and settled upon China.

I however, have done mine and settled upon Indonesia.

Marketing textbooks often mention the concept of product loyalty. That is, the tendency to continue to purchase the same brand. But product loyalty is largely a charactistic most often found in the baby boomers...those consumers older than Mr Hammer and I. They still love their vegemite, their guiness, their digestive biscuits, their harleys....

Mr Hammer and I however, have no product loyaltly whatsoever...we assess everything on its merit (including countries and the cities therein) and select a new home upon the basis that it will provide things that satisfy (or exceed) our wants and desires.

On one hand we are truly free...but on the other, we are victims of what I shall call...THE TYRANNY OF CHOICE.

Edited by fatdrunkandstupid
  • Like 1