Sukhumbhand suspends his Bangkok governorship

webfact

Sukhumbhand suspends his Bangkok governorship
By Digital Content

13962543855113.jpg

BANGKOK, March 31 - Bangkok governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra today announced leaving his official duties temporarily while awaiting a court ruling on his allegedly benefiting from campaign slander.

Mr Sukhumbhand's decision came from the Election Commission (EC) 3:2 vote on March 11 to give him a "yellow card" for violating Thailand's election law after his supporters slandered his opponent during the election campaigns.

The Court of Appeals later accepted consideration of the EC request to call a new gubernatorial election and is scheduled to study evidence from both sides on April 23. The final decision on whether the new election will be held will depend on the court's ruling.

Mr Sukhumbhand said he is still the Bangkok governor, but just suspended his duty as required by the law.

He said he respects the court's ruling and will strictly follow no matter what the outcome is.

The governor said he is confident that the court and judicial process will give him fair treatment, adding that everyone knows he has not committed any wrongdoing and that his legal team has prepared evidence to fight in the court.

Mr Sukhumbhand said he has assigned his four deputies and city hall officials to continue working and that he serves the public for their best interest.

Officials from 50 districts of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration today turned up with flowers to show their support for Mr Sukhumbhand as he announced his decision. (MCOT online news).

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-03-31

• Like 1

How lovely that flowers were presented. Now how about presenting a fair fight ?

I dont know what side of Politics he is on but slander and abuse has no place in any politics and all that should be thrown is ACCURATE statements of TRUTH about what YOU will do What the opponent will do or has done and how YOU will better society by your investiture.

I think all these traits are very lacking in Thailand so all the poor Thais get is rabble and chickens fighting over the crumbs.

How pathetic.some supporters allegedly "slander opponents"during a campaign a year or more ago and the governor has to stand down. If this happened in the USA during a governor election how many of the 50 states Govs would be in office now?single figures I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I understand now- this is all a Democrat plot to make PTP look bad worse, if that's possible.

It's only connected to the Democrat Party at the margin.The puppet masters behind Suthep use the Democrats, not the other way round.They would ditch Abhisit if it served their agenda.

A topic to be revisited in due course .

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Why would anybody enter into a far-reaching conspiracy to make PTP look bad/worse when they are doing an excellent job of it themselves?

It is nothing to do with the PTP, rather a heavyhanded attempt to present the EC and other "independent agencies" as non-partisan.

I suggested the topic be revisited later on.I had in mind the advantage of being able to comment with more evidence available.I freely admit this is speculation now, albeit soundly based.

Incidentally I note that Bangkok Pundit believes Sukhumbhand may well be absolved by the Court given the past record of Democrats who have been charged with electoral offences.However even if he is absolved the EC pretence of being non partisan can be peddled to the naive and ignorant.

Edited by jayboy

I understand now- this is all a Democrat plot to make PTP look bad worse, if that's possible.

It's only connected to the Democrat Party at the margin.The puppet masters behind Suthep use the Democrats, not the other way round.They would ditch Abhisit if it served their agenda.

A topic to be revisited in due course .

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Why would anybody enter into a far-reaching conspiracy to make PTP look bad/worse when they are doing an excellent job of it themselves?

It is nothing to do with the PTP, rather a heavyhanded attempt to present the EC and other "independent agencies" as non-partisan.

I suggested the topic be revisited later on.I had in mind the advantage of being able to comment with more evidence available.I freely admit this is speculation now, albeit soundly based.

Incidentally I note that Bangkok Pundit believes Sukhumbhand may well be absolved by the Court given the past record of Democrats who have been charged with electoral offences.However even if he is absolved the EC pretence of being non partisan can be peddled to the naive and ignorant.

However even if he is absolved the EC pretence of being non partisan can be peddled to the naive and ignorant.

So the democrats would create this smoke screen together with the EC for what reason? To show that they are better than PTP when it comes to court Judgements. So they can peddle that to the naive and ignorant? When PTP don't need any help in showing how corrupt they can be from Yingluks "I know nothing" to Chalerms vailed threats.

Still, I guess the red machine will come up with any excuse to try and tar the Democrats with the same brush. Bet you were upset Abhisit and Suthep never ran when they were charged of premeditated murder? It must of upset Thaksin! He hasn't made a right move since!

• Like 1

what has he ever done, what are his achievements for the people of Bangkok?

Well to be fair Bangkok has again been rated the number one city in the world to visit so as the man in the hot seat some of that kudos should go to him.

And at least he has the decency to acknowledge that his tenure is compromised by the charges against him and has acted accordingly.... unlike the PM.

• Like 1

Well to be fair Bangkok has again been rated the number one city in the world to visit so as the man in the hot seat some of that kudos should go to him.

Bangkok number one city? so what has that to do with him, did he pay to get that result?

BANGKOK
Sukhumbhand steps aside

TANATPONG KONGSAI
THE NATION

30230563-02.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra yesterday announced he was suspending his duties as governor due to legal proceedings that alleged he had benefited from a slanderous election campaign.

He said, however, he would be back when the country needed him. "From the 1.2 million votes I won, I can't abandon people who voted for me. We will meet again when the country needs me," he said in a press conference at City Hall.

Sukhumbhand's duty suspension is required by law after the Court of Appeals agreed, at the request of the Election Commission (EC), to consider whether a new gubernatorial election should be held in Bangkok.

The EC voted early in March to disqualify Sukhumbhand as the winner of the Bangkok governor election a year ago on allegations he framed his opponent during the election campaign.

Although Sukhumbhand was not personally engaged in the so-called campaign, the process was said to have helped him win last year's election to return as city governor.

The EC recommended that a new gubernatorial election be held in Bangkok, with Sukhumbhand allowed to stand again. However, the final decision would depend on a ruling from the Court of Appeals.

Sukhumbhand said he did nothing wrong, but he would respect the law and the court and believed he would get justice from the court.

During his conference, the governor took a life-size effigy of himself along with him. He jokingly said he would put the effigy in front of his office so people would not forget that he remained the governor.

High-ranking officials at the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration later gave roses for moral support to Sukhumbhand, who was close to tears from time to time.

"I'm still your governor. I [will] just take a vacation. I will now take a rest, have a medical check-up, and stay with my grandchildren," he said.

Reports said earlier he would hand the job over to his first deputy, Pusadee Tamthai, until a final decision was made.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-01

After Apirak and Sukhumband; who's next? Guess, another Democrat whistling.gif

That would depend on the Bangkok voters, wouldn't you say?

Last year The Democrat party candidate won most votes, even against that darling Pol. General of the Pheu Thai party with PM Yingluck promising seemless co-operation between government and Bangkok Governor when her candidate won. Still open what new elections would bring. Maybe a return of the Telephone Pole?

Edited by rubl

Bangkok number one city? so what has that to do with him, did he pay to get that result?

No he didn't have to pay anything - that's the Shin way.

I might add that he put up a very good fight against the Plodprasop mismanaged floods in 2012 keeping most of Bangkok flood-free. No, he didn't use boats to try to reverse the natural flow of water but good old-fashioned sandbags.