Pattaya Red Shirts force cancellation of anti-government concert in South Pattaya

webfact

Pattaya Red Shirts force cancellation of anti-government concert in South Pattaya

red-1.jpg

PATTAYA: -- The Pattaya Pro-Government Red Shirts were out in-force late on Monday Night in South Pattaya after they received word of a music concert at a South Pattaya Restaurant featuring a well-known anti-government singer.

The Singer is affectionately known as “Marijuana” and just 2 days before his appearance in Pattaya he was on-stage in Bangkok at an anti-government rally performing songs which accuse the Thai Prime Minister of being involved in corrupt activities.

Over 100 Red Shirts took part in a noisy protest outside of the Peace House Restaurant in Soi Khopai, owned by Khun Sitarmaert, who was forced to confront the Red Shirts and ultimately cancelled the concert, which was due to take place in less than 2 hours time.

The singer has performed at the restaurant many times but the owner confirmed that he will no longer perform at the restaurant as he fears for his own safety.

Source: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/123529/pattaya-red-shirts-force-cancellation-of-anti-government-concert-in-south-pattaya/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-04-01

I hope this is one of the April 1 jokes! Otherwise the tolerance Thailand has been known for is giving way for a Thai Rouge dictatorship.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by pmugghc

I hope this is one of the April 1 jokes! Otherwise the tolerance Thailand has been known for is giving way for a Thai Rouge dictatorship.

The "tolerance" ship sailed some years ago . . . right about the time the "violence" ship docked.

• Like 2

If the Red Shirts become more violent and dictatorial, "Thai Rouge" will become appropriate when describing them.

• Like 2

Using words like 'fascism' and 'dictatorship' for an idiotic protest is idiotic.

No it's not idiotic. It's a pattern of behaviour by government supporters (red shirts) that's happening more and more often now. It's behavior that can be called fascist and reminiscent of a dictatorship when the implication is that this is implicitly condoned (since it's not condemned) by the government. It's also just completely wrong!

You're right. I should have used 'hypocrites'.

Edited by rijb
  • Like 1

Using words like 'fascism' and 'dictatorship' for an idiotic protest is idiotic.

You can't look at it as just an isolated incident. Look at the context and pattern how voices of dissent are suppressed. This wasn't the first time we had this type of incident. A number of times demonstrations or just political meetings were attacked by the opposing side. The monk beatings etc.

For the record I have never supported PDRC's methods to stop the voting. It's part of the same polarization process that is tearing up Thailand. But this thread is about this incident.

fascism in action, and some still believe they support democracy

same kind of aggression that German SS and SA (The "redshirts" of the Fuehrer)

performed against Jews

When will the redshirts open Concentration Camps?

Edited by sweatalot
  • Like 1

You can't look at it as just an isolated incident. Look at the context and pattern how voices of dissent are suppressed. This wasn't the first time we had this type of incident. A number of times demonstrations or just political meetings were attacked by the opposing side. The monk beatings etc.

For the record I have never supported PDRC's methods to stop the voting. It's part of the same polarization process that is tearing up Thailand. But this thread is about this incident.

I understand your point of view. But, they're just pawns.

I'm more concerned about the things we don't see and hear.

The real battle for power is not on the streets. Corruption, greed, and lust for power is limitless at the top (all sides).

I understand your point of view. But, they're just pawns.

I'm more concerned about the things we don't see and hear.

The real battle for power is not on the streets. Corruption, greed, and lust for power is limitless at the top (all sides).

Agree with that! In my view Thailand should have "real" political parties driven by principles and party programs. Then something like a social democrat party and labor unions in the way the Nordic countries had, they were primarily non-violent. But dream on...

All I hope for today is that the big war-lords reach some backroom agreement.

• Like 1

They are not making much progress in their movement by such stupid acts of general intimidation of people who don't really matter in the political landscape. They are just intimidating people for something to do.

Why are they not going after their real enemies? If they purport to have a cause, then this sort of thing is not exactly gaining them any form of traction.

At least the PDRC movement goes for the throat of the beast and by pretty much peaceful means. In contrast the pathetic red shirts nibble at the toenails of the beast, using intimidation and an almost definite threat of violence had the concert went ahead.

Time to take this silly little rouge movement apart starting with the UDD leadership.

• Like 1

I try to remain neutral in all of this as, after all, I'm a foreigner, so I have no real say so anyway, but what I find amusing at times is the hypocrisy that is often displayed by so called "intelligent" and "educated" individuals.

Red Shirts (and I don't care for them) protest against what they see as an "anti government" entertainer performing, and go to the venue and get the owner to cancel it. While there may have been, and probably were, some "intimidation" tactics used, they didn't beat the owner and apparently no one was hurt.

But this is an outrageous act according to the "anti-red" faction.

Yet, this same anti-red faction, also known as the PDRC, see absolutely nothing wrong with closing down polling stations, and even physically attacking people who wish to exercise their democratic right to vote.

So, which is more grievous, stopping an entertainer from performing in a restaurant, or stopping voters from voting? I'll let you make your own decision.

Both sides are wrong (and idiotic). But, that won't stop the short-sighted hypocrites (in this forum) from spewing the same old garbage in almost every thread.

I agree with both you guy's, but it won't stop some of the people on here coming out with stupid quotes who think they know everything regarding the political situation in Thailand.

• Like 1

I try to remain neutral in all of this as, after all, I'm a foreigner, so I have no real say so anyway, but what I find amusing at times is the hypocrisy that is often displayed by so called "intelligent" and "educated" individuals.

Red Shirts (and I don't care for them) protest against what they see as an "anti government" entertainer performing, and go to the venue and get the owner to cancel it. While there may have been, and probably were, some "intimidation" tactics used, they didn't beat the owner and apparently no one was hurt.

But this is an outrageous act according to the "anti-red" faction.

Yet, this same anti-red faction, also known as the PDRC, see absolutely nothing wrong with closing down polling stations, and even physically attacking people who wish to exercise their democratic right to vote.

So, which is more grievous, stopping an entertainer from performing in a restaurant, or stopping voters from voting? I'll let you make your own decision.

you genuinely think an election held in a country where anyone who expresses a view opposing the party line faces police backed physical intimidation is going to be fair and free?

• Like 1

No it's not idiotic. It's a pattern of behaviour by government supporters (red shirts) that's happening more and more often now. It's behavior that can be called fascist and reminiscent of a dictatorship when the implication is that this is implicitly condoned (since it's not condemned) by the government. It's also just completely wrong!

The yellows are different \arent they??????

Sounded like a peaceful protest and only 100 reds

fascism in action, and some still believe they support democracy

same kind of aggression that German SS and SA (The "redshirts" of the Fuehrer)

performed against Jews

When will the redshirts open Concentration Camps?

PTP previously tried to intimidate people about putting comments they didn't like on social media, even hitting the like button on someone else's comments was a no no, They had some senior policeman threaten people publicly.

Now you're not allowed to work if you speak against us.Will prevent you carrying out your lawful business.

And, some posters on here are daft enough to think these thugs and their leaders are interested in democracy facepalm.gif

PTP - do as we say. when we say, now we say. Don't dare question us, speak against us or have any opinion.

Concentration camps - no of course not. They would be re-education camps to help those who can't see Thaksin's truth rehabilitate. I'm sure Thaksin has learnt a lot from his pals Hun Set and Mugabe.

• Like 1

Couldn't had they settled it democratically? The 100 Red Shirts vote to cancel the concert and the concert goers vote to proceed as scheduled, no?

We wouldn't want a minority thwarting the wishes of a majority, the Red Shirts being so very pro-democracy and all that. :rolleyes:

Indeed, on the face of it, it seemed like a peaceful protest. Or was there more than a hint of intimidation involved? Certainly in Chiang Mai intimidation (& too often violence) has been used to stop other performers performing.

Fascist is OTT and that's the term used by some of the more extreme red shirt/PTP supporters to describe the protestors in Bangkok.

With some areas of Thailand becoming no-go areas for PTP opponents, it seems that the red shirts have been just as effective as Suthep's hard-line supporters in preventing anything close to free & fair elections. Red villages (16,000 according to the Bangkok Post Spectrum) are hardly enhancing the 'free' part.

People power in action. Congratulations to the pro democracy activists who stopped this performance from taking place. If anyone thinks these "musicians" are just harmless entertainers, here's an example of the kind of bands appearing on the Bangkok stages.

.post-70418-0-47317800-1396360270_thumb.j

Notice the swastika? Pattaya doesn't need performers like these.

People power in action. Congratulations to the pro democracy activists who stopped this performance from taking place. If anyone thinks these "musicians" are just harmless entertainers, here's an example of the kind of bands appearing on the Bangkok stages.

.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Notice the swastika? Pattaya doesn't need performers like these.

So you agree with censorship and freedom of choice then? Providing it's not the side you support negatively impacted of course.

Still you refer to red shirt fascist storm troopers as pro democracy activists. Wonder if they managed to find a monk to beat up after this.