Nuts: almonds, cashews, pistachios, walnuts etc. Where to buy in BKK

Nepal4me

Anybody have words of wisdom on where to buy nuts at a good price in BKK? Normally I buy them at any of the normal chain stores but they're expensive. I'd like to find a source to buy a variety of nuts. This is just for health purposes.

• Like 1

If you go to Chinatown you can find shops selling a selection of nuts sold in bulk. Probably best to walk down the main Chinatown street Yaowarat.

If you explore the back streets towards the river you may come across some family business distributors of nuts. I have seen some open shopfronts with what looked 50 kg? bags of cashews stacked inside.

• Like 2

Forget the almonds and walnuts.

Cashews: buy the JJ brand at Foodland for about B160 a bag. Roast yourself in microwave or oven. I use peanut oil, salt, and garlic powder: quite delicious.

Macro has walnuts, quite a large bag for around ฿300.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Oh, really? News to me. I'll check at our Pattaya Makro.

I buy lots of nuts at Makro in 1kg bags - macadamia nuts seem to be the most expensive but well worth it. I've also seen the big bags of macadamia nuts at Big C, a tad more expensive than Makro but they come on special every now and again.

In Bangkok, on Surawong, near the intersection with Rama 4, on the south side of the street, every weekday up to about 2 pm you can buy freshly roasted peanuts for 130 baht per kilo. They are the best peanuts I have ever tasted, and they are sold by a couple of very friendly people, who laugh at my mangled Thai every time I go there, which is almost every week.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

^^ definitely not grown in Thailand as it requires Desert conditions but could be sourced from China or other -Stan countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistachio

Pistachio trees can be found in regions of Iran, Syria, Lebanon,Turkey, Greece, Xinjiang (China), Tunisia, Kyrgyzstan,Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, India, Egypt, Italy (Sicily),Uzbekistan, Afghanistan (especially in the provinces ofSamangan and Badghis), and the United States, specifically in California.

• Like 1

Tesco and Big C, depending on the individual store, have long stocked the Heritage premium range of nuts and dried fruits. I buy the raw almonds and walnuts which are not saturated in salt and oil like most Thai brands. While nuts are good for you, just like avocados, you should always eat in moderation or you will gain weight. Same applies to dried fruits with their often high sugar content. Villa on Sukhumvit sometimes stock the 500g sizes which are better value, including slivered almonds and diced walnuts, a good addition to breakfast cereals etc.

When in Singapore, I go to Mustafa for their US raw almonds in 1kg packs, for about half the Thailand supermarket price.

• Like 1

In Bangkok, on Surawong, near the intersection with Rama 4, on the south side of the street, every weekday up to about 2 pm you can buy freshly roasted peanuts for 130 baht per kilo. They are the best peanuts I have ever tasted, and they are sold by a couple of very friendly people, who laugh at my mangled Thai every time I go there, which is almost every week.

I'll have to try them. While living in China I got addicted to deep frying my own raw peanuts in peanut oil. Cook them a minute too long and they taste burned, but when I get them right, they are great.

I buy my cashews at shops all over Chinatown. Between 160 and 200 baht for what I would guess is a one pound bag- salted. Lots of shops there with 50 lb sacks of raw and cooked cashews. (Well, not raw as they're poisonous, but lighter colored than the cooked ones), but I never really checked the bulk price. I'd weigh in at 100 lb more than I do if I started buying them in bulk. About a pound a month is good.

• Like 1

Forget the almonds and walnuts.

Cashews: buy the JJ brand at Foodland for about B160 a bag. Roast yourself in microwave or oven. I use peanut oil, salt, and garlic powder: quite delicious.

Where do you buy the Garlic powder? Which brand?

I'll have to try them. While living in China I got addicted to deep frying my own raw peanuts in peanut oil. Cook them a minute too long and they taste burned, but when I get them right, they are great.

I buy my cashews at shops all over Chinatown. Between 160 and 200 baht for what I would guess is a one pound bag- salted. Lots of shops there with 50 lb sacks of raw and cooked cashews. (Well, not raw as they're poisonous, but lighter colored than the cooked ones), but I never really checked the bulk price. I'd weigh in at 100 lb more than I do if I started buying them in bulk. About a pound a month is good.

my wife often fries them when she cooks some food which has peanuts in it. If I recall right she first fries the peanuts than she add chili and fries more....than the rest comes. Once I tried peanuts fried together with chili. I thought it is an awful combination but to my surprise it tastes good.

• Like 1

Villa stocks 250g bags of nuts of all kinds, including cashew, pistachio, almond, hazelnut and walnut.

The supermarket at Emporium has a section where nuts are sold in bulk, ie, bag them yourself or with assistance from one of the southern Thai attendants in charge of that section. It's the only place I've come across in Bangkok where Brazil nuts are consistently.available.

• 2 weeks later...

Makkro does have bulk selections of nuts but it's more for cooking than health purpose.(Cashews are not very interesting nutritionally).

They do have huge bags of almonds flakes but the quality is not there.

The rest of healthy nuts (wholes almonds, walnuts, macadamias) are distributed by the same brand (Garrett) at roughly the same price at Big C /Tesco/villa/emporium/Tops.

Tesco is trying its own brand new line of packets of nuts and mixed nuts, ok but still a bit pricey, and don't get the walnuts they taste horrible.

I get cheaper organic better quality macadamias and mixed nuts and non organic but pretty cheap and tasty walnuts at my local Thai health store.

• Like 1

You can also buy them online at Good Karma Thailand.. they sell many raw nuts and can special order if they do not have in stock and also some yummy nut butters

http://www.healthfoodthailand.com

No macadamia, no walnuts.

There are cashews but really whats the nutrients in cashews?

Good for raw almonds 1kg 525B but what's the delivery price?

• 2 weeks later...

You can also buy them online at Good Karma Thailand.. they sell many raw nuts and can special order if they do not have in stock and also some yummy nut butters

Thanks, price is right and yest they do have walnuts.

Wow 750B for 100 grams without the delivery?

http://www.healthfoodthailand.com/walnuts-walnut-1000-grams-362336293621360936333605-p-316.html

You need a handful a day, that's 200B for just walnuts per day.

Considering the average Thai wage of 13000B, that's way out of reach.

I get my premium raw walnuts refrigerated 200G for 150B from my local health store.

No macadamia, no walnuts.

There are cashews but really whats the nutrients in cashews?

Good for raw almonds 1kg 525B but what's the delivery price?

I think you should do a bit more research on cashews. Lots of nutrient value there. Google: cashews healthy benefits for all the details. I'd keep away from the salted ones.