Looking for opinions on the name for a new bar on the Darkside

Mobi

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP, i see you have changed your avatar.

May I ask why, given you long and fraught history with alcoholism, you would want to open a bar?

i suggested Schadenfreude earlier, but perhaps Hubris would be more apt.

Apart from the name issue, I would be more concerned with how quiet the Lake area has been in terms of customers. I live there and have been underwhelmed by the scene for some months now even though the variety and quantity of bars is high.

• Like 1

This play on the apostrophed D' is all vaguely Gallic and will only encourage that sort of clientele IMHO.

On the darkside so simply D'ark or D'arc or D'Arq (as in 'don't be afraid of the...').

Or a play on my favourite Japanese rockers L'arc en Ciel, the OP can consider D'arc en Lac or the even more exotique D'arq en Lac. Hmmm, plays to those of a Francophile persuasion again.

In the vein of that (shockingly bad for any non-American male) movie based on the flawed premise that 'if you build it, they will come', we could have Field of D'reams. Or simply D'ream. Or if the owner insists, Mobi's D'ream.

Totally left-field (but in keeping with the allusion to baseball), my pal had a plan to buy a failing sports bar in his SW Houston 'hood, refurbish it and rename it 'Big Swingin' Dicks' with an oversized image of Dick Allen lining up on a pitch. So maybe Mobi D'icks.

On the theme of Eastenders, there's always D'arkenders.

Or Star Wars with D'ark Vaders.

If it all goes pear-shaped, it could be remembered as Mobi's D'arse.

All good luck to the OP. Keep us posted on when as well as exactly where as I am a 20 minute cycle ride from 'lakeside' and it would be good to catch up again.

Call it Mobi Ducks

Put a sign up of a duck with a Whales tail.

The pretty girls can dress as mermaids and the ugly ducklings can sit in the corner.

Keep a harpoon hanging up inside the bar to threaten any boisterous clientele.

Edited by I Like Thai

H'Art of D'Arkness

Catchy name. Where did I hear that before ??

Joseph Conrad - Heart of Darkness. Great writer.

I was thinking about the Club in Phnom Phen, but I will have a look at that book thx.

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

Many thanks for all your suggestions. Some are really great, some are amusing, and I think nearly all of you have taken my request in good spirit (no pun intended). Also many thanks to those who have wished me well and to those who have offered to come and see me in action when we open.

As far As I can see there is only one poster who really seems to be doing his best to have nasty dig at me, without straying so far out of line that the post gets removed.....

Never mind, it’s frankly much less than I’d expected, and I knew I was in for hiding to nothing when I started this thread.

To those of you who query my ‘recovering alcoholic' credentials for running a bar, I can only say that time will tell. If the bar is still open in a year’s time, let’s see if I have succumbed.

I am now well into my fourth year of sobriety, and during this time I have spent countless hours with friends at bars and not once was I tempted to take a drink. I accept it will be a bit different when I have to spend many hours in a bar every day, but I know myself and my will power – which is very strong.

Many years ago I was a four pack plus per day cigarette man, and had been for over 20 years, but I decided to go cold turkey and have not touched a cigarette since. In the early days after I quit I spent hours in pubs and bars with people who were smoking and not once did I give in to the temptation. As the years passed, the craving completely disappeared and I can now be amongst chain smokers 24/7, and the only affect they will have on me is extreme annoyance due to the ‘2nd hand’ smoke that is going into my lungs.

The reason I never smoked again was simple. I saw what cigarettes had done to my lungs and general health. I would never put my body through that again.

Ditto alcohol. It all but killed me, as those who read my blog will know too well. As it is, I am suffering from chronic heart disease, have had open heart surgery, and diabetes. I had a terrible scare recently when a doctor misdiagnosed me as suffering from chronic pancreatitis.

It was a lucky escape and one that I shall never forget; and if I ever needed a reason not to drink, then that is it. If I drink again, my life will be over and all that pain and effort will have been for nothing. I owe it to my old (and new families) to do my best to stay healthy and active for as long as I can.

As for running a successful bar – well again, only time will tell. I certainly do not expect to get rich from it, but I do think that by using reasonable acumen, I should be able to make it turn a small profit which will largely benefit my girlfriend and her family.

I am not going to go into the ‘why’s and wherefores’ in this thread as to how I think I can make it pay, but once it is up and running I will be only too pleased to explain all if you come and pay me a visit and then you can see for yourself.

I don’t have any ‘magic’ solutions, or a truck load of gorgeous girls, I will just apply sensible, consistent, SOBER management, and will try my best to give as good a service as possible to customers, which I think is the key.

Yes there are a lot of empty bars around the lake, and many change hands quite frequently. This is one of the reasons that I am able to pick up one at a reasonable price.

But believe it not there are a few bars that do make a steady income. Nothing spectacular – but enough to pay the bills and put food on the table. That’s all I’m looking for.

Keep the name suggestions coming, and I will let you know when I have made up my mind. I will also let you know when the bar is finally open for business.

Thanks everyone,

Mobi

wai.gif

• Like 1

Many thanks for all your suggestions. Some are really great, some are amusing, and I think nearly all of you have taken my request in good spirit (no pun intended). Also many thanks to those who have wished me well and to those who have offered to come and see me in action when we open.

As far As I can see there is only one poster who really seems to be doing his best to have nasty dig at me, without straying so far out of line that the post gets removed.....

Never mind, it’s frankly much less than I’d expected, and I knew I was in for hiding to nothing when I started this thread.

To those of you who query my ‘recovering alcoholic' credentials for running a bar, I can only say that time will tell. If the bar is still open in a year’s time, let’s see if I have succumbed.

I am now well into my fourth year of sobriety, and during this time I have spent countless hours with friends at bars and not once was I tempted to take a drink. I accept it will be a bit different when I have to spend many hours in a bar every day, but I know myself and my will power – which is very strong.

Many years ago I was a four pack plus per day cigarette man, and had been for over 20 years, but I decided to go cold turkey and have not touched a cigarette since. In the early days after I quit I spent hours in pubs and bars with people who were smoking and not once did I give in to the temptation. As the years passed, the craving completely disappeared and I can now be amongst chain smokers 24/7, and the only affect they will have on me is extreme annoyance due to the ‘2nd hand’ smoke that is going into my lungs.

The reason I never smoked again was simple. I saw what cigarettes had done to my lungs and general health. I would never put my body through that again.

Ditto alcohol. It all but killed me, as those who read my blog will know too well. As it is, I am suffering from chronic heart disease, have had open heart surgery, and diabetes. I had a terrible scare recently when a doctor misdiagnosed me as suffering from chronic pancreatitis.

It was a lucky escape and one that I shall never forget; and if I ever needed a reason not to drink, then that is it. If I drink again, my life will be over and all that pain and effort will have been for nothing. I owe it to my old (and new families) to do my best to stay healthy and active for as long as I can.

As for running a successful bar – well again, only time will tell. I certainly do not expect to get rich from it, but I do think that by using reasonable acumen, I should be able to make it turn a small profit which will largely benefit my girlfriend and her family.

I am not going to go into the ‘why’s and wherefores’ in this thread as to how I think I can make it pay, but once it is up and running I will be only too pleased to explain all if you come and pay me a visit and then you can see for yourself.

I don’t have any ‘magic’ solutions, or a truck load of gorgeous girls, I will just apply sensible, consistent, SOBER management, and will try my best to give as good a service as possible to customers, which I think is the key.

Yes there are a lot of empty bars around the lake, and many change hands quite frequently. This is one of the reasons that I am able to pick up one at a reasonable price.

But believe it not there are a few bars that do make a steady income. Nothing spectacular – but enough to pay the bills and put food on the table. That’s all I’m looking for.

Keep the name suggestions coming, and I will let you know when I have made up my mind. I will also let you know when the bar is finally open for business.

Thanks everyone,

Mobi

wai.gif

If you really are just looking to pay the bills and put food on the table then there is no reason why you can't make it work, it's just about getting a group of regulars and keeping them happy IMO.

One tip...give your punters some peanuts and crisps, trust me this does work!

Will you get CTH for the football? Unfortuantely they charge top dollar for entertainement places, unlike True.

Edited by Pattaya Pat

Forget the word Mobi ---- if you decide to sell the place in 2 years, which many do, the ''goodwill'' value will be destroyed, as the new owner will want to change the name. A neutral name has more longevity.

Aqua Naam

Water water

Water Bar

Tap at Map

Bar Red

Russkie

etcetc ad infinitum