Five killed, six injured in blast in Bangkok's Bangkhen district

webfact

from where they got 2ww bomb in thailand?

Read the report...it says it all there

Sent from my i-mobile IQ5.1 Pro using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not one Thai that I have spoken to, and most are teachers, know anything about Thai involvement in WWII or the Allied bombing of Bangkok . There are bound to be quite a few of these still around Don Muang or rail and bridge areas, a 500lb uxb can penetrate several feet and are often found around Europe during construction work.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Only 97%?

Well, as the Americans were the only country to bomb Bangkok, it stands a chance ...

While Hollywood would like to portray the US as winning WW2 single-handedly, the reality is a little different.

Bangkok was bombed by both the USAAF and the RAF, flying initially from Indian and latterly Burmese air bases. Most US air power was concentrated on bombing missions over Japan and in support of amphibious operations. The Burmese campaign was a largely Brit affair. So the likelihood of this bomb being US are probably less than half...

• Like 1

The toll is now 7 and 19 injured

WWII bomb blast in Thailand kills seven

At least seven people died and 19 others have been injured when a massive World War II bomb exploded at a scrap metal warehouse in Bangkok as workers tried to cut it open, officials say.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2014/04/03/01/36/wwii-bomb-blast-in-thailand-kills-seven

EXPLOSION
WWII bomb kills seven

TANATPONG KONGSAI,
PANYA PANPHUAK
THE NATION

30230738-01_big.jpg?1396480095939
An expert with a picture of an aerial bomb. One similar to this is believed to have caused a deadly explosion at a scrapyard in Bangkok that claimed seven lives.

20 others hurt in scrapyard blast

BANGKOK: -- AN EXPLOSION ripped through a scrapyard in Bangkok's Bang Khen district yesterday, killing seven victims and injuring 20 others, after workers unknowingly cut open an aerial bomb from World War II.

"Such a bomb usually weighs about 500 pounds [227 kilograms] and has the power to damage [everything] within a 500-metre radius," Pol Colonel Kamthorn Uicharoen of the Office of the Forensic Science Police said.

As of press time, the scrapyard was cordoned off as explosive-ordnance officials scoured the place. "We have found the explosion caused a three-metre-deep and eight-metre-wide hole in the ground," Kamthorn said.

Witnesses told police the fatal blast took place after the scrapyard bought what looked like a thick oval-shaped iron bar and tried to cut it with gas. The bar reportedly weighed over 200 kilograms.

"The owner and workers of the scrapyard might have mistaken the aerial bomb as a simple steel bar," Kamthorn said.

Metropolitan Police Division 2 commander Maj-General Suranit Prombutr, said this explosion was an accident. He confirmed the incident was definitely not related to political unrest, which has been blamed for several other recent blasts.

According to Bang Khen District Office's director Kris Kiartpanachart, the scrapyard is located inside Wat Trai Rattanaram Community. Glass windows of several local houses were shattered by the blast.

Nattanan Panthong, chair of the community, quoted a local as saying construction workers found the oval-shaped iron item while they were digging a hole for a foundation pillar at a nearby construction site.

"So, they picked it up. Four of them then headed to the scrapyard in the hope of trading the item for cash," Nattanan said.

The scrapyard had reportedly offered Bt10 per kilo. Before any payment was made, scrapyard workers were told to cut the item to check its quality.

Nattanan identified one of the sellers as Jeerasak Tabtimtong, who was killed in the blast.

Deputy Bangkok Governor Pusadee Tamthai warned people not to collect suspicious items they have discovered.

"It's best to alert security officials for safety reasons," she said.

Kris said the explosion rocked the scrapyard at around 12.15pm and officials managed to put out a fire there by 1pm.

His district office will today set up a tent near the scene to facilitate victims filing complaints with police and seeking help.

Many victims are now receiving treatment at the Nopparat Rajathanee Hospital, the Mayo Hospital, and the Bhumibol Adulyadej Hospital.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-03

Only 97%?

Well, as the Americans were the only country to bomb Bangkok, it stands a chance ...

While Hollywood would like to portray the US as winning WW2 single-handedly, the reality is a little different.

Bangkok was bombed by both the USAAF and the RAF, flying initially from Indian and latterly Burmese air bases. Most US air power was concentrated on bombing missions over Japan and in support of amphibious operations. The Burmese campaign was a largely Brit affair. So the likelihood of this bomb being US are probably less than half...

BBC said RAF dropped it,

They're still pulling live WW2 era bombs from London, Berlin, and all over the World. When you think it's possibly a bomb you've found, don't assume it's 'defused' (old explosives are highly unstable whether defused or not) but just call the police to get a bomb disposal unit to look at it. They'll let you have the metal once they have made it safe. As it is now, it is no different than it the bomber that dropped it during the war, came back and dropped it today and it went off. Wow. what a surprise that must have been; if you lived long enough to be surprised.

Just shows you how stupid some people are. Cut the explosive up with gas fueled cutters. A case of IQ measured in single digits

Whilst I would not normally defend what could be seen as an act of stupidity (I leave that to the Thaier-than-thou crowd) this is an act of ignorance.

You, I and practically every westerner I know would treat an object like this with suspicion when found, not because we are smarter, but because we are more informed.

That's the thing, how does a 500 pound bomb go from the police hands to being sold for scrap? That the police here are beyond incompetent is a given, but that takes the cake.

One can only presume, after examining the size of the bomb, they concluded it was too big to throw at anyone and too big to shoot at anyone -- and thus, they had no use for it. whistling.gif

You, I and practically every westerner I know would treat an object like this with suspicion when found, not because we are smarter, but because we are more informed.

Based on past conversations I've had here, my impression is that the average working-age Thai these days, especially anyone young enough to be working in construction, seems to know little to nothing about World War II or Thailand's role in it.

That's one piece of history among uncountable others that the schools here don't seem to teach, or if they do, no one's bothering to pay attention or remember.

Sorry, time for Thai dance class, gotta go... World War What???

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

This report below from The Nation makes no mention or reference to the police's involvement in the bomb found at the Red Line construction site Saturday as linked earlier in this thread to the Coconut Bangkok website.

I can't believe there could be two different WW II bomb found incidents just days apart in Bangkok. So perhaps the authorities aren't so keen to acknowledge they were involved BEFORE the bomb exploded.

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/03/31/70-years-after-b-29s-attacked-bkk-rail-yard-bts-crew-digs-vintage-bomb

Police were called to a BTS Red Line construction site in the Bang Sue district after workers reported finding what looked like a giant bomb Saturday evening.

Bombs squad personnel were called in to examine the bomb, which was more than 30 centimeters wide and 1.2 meters long.

So according to the various reports, the Coconuts Bangkok reported bomb was found Saturday night and handled by police. And then, "a" bomb explodes at the Bang Khen shop on Wednesday. Hmmmm....

EXPLOSION
WWII bomb kills seven

TANATPONG KONGSAI,
PANYA PANPHUAK
THE NATION

30230738-01_big.jpg?1396480095939
An expert with a picture of an aerial bomb. One similar to this is believed to have caused a deadly explosion at a scrapyard in Bangkok that claimed seven lives.

20 others hurt in scrapyard blast

BANGKOK: -- AN EXPLOSION ripped through a scrapyard in Bangkok's Bang Khen district yesterday, killing seven victims and injuring 20 others, after workers unknowingly cut open an aerial bomb from World War II.

"Such a bomb usually weighs about 500 pounds [227 kilograms] and has the power to damage [everything] within a 500-metre radius," Pol Colonel Kamthorn Uicharoen of the Office of the Forensic Science Police said.

As of press time, the scrapyard was cordoned off as explosive-ordnance officials scoured the place. "We have found the explosion caused a three-metre-deep and eight-metre-wide hole in the ground," Kamthorn said.

Witnesses told police the fatal blast took place after the scrapyard bought what looked like a thick oval-shaped iron bar and tried to cut it with gas. The bar reportedly weighed over 200 kilograms.

"The owner and workers of the scrapyard might have mistaken the aerial bomb as a simple steel bar," Kamthorn said.

Metropolitan Police Division 2 commander Maj-General Suranit Prombutr, said this explosion was an accident. He confirmed the incident was definitely not related to political unrest, which has been blamed for several other recent blasts.

According to Bang Khen District Office's director Kris Kiartpanachart, the scrapyard is located inside Wat Trai Rattanaram Community. Glass windows of several local houses were shattered by the blast.

Nattanan Panthong, chair of the community, quoted a local as saying construction workers found the oval-shaped iron item while they were digging a hole for a foundation pillar at a nearby construction site.

"So, they picked it up. Four of them then headed to the scrapyard in the hope of trading the item for cash," Nattanan said.

The scrapyard had reportedly offered Bt10 per kilo. Before any payment was made, scrapyard workers were told to cut the item to check its quality.

Nattanan identified one of the sellers as Jeerasak Tabtimtong, who was killed in the blast.

Deputy Bangkok Governor Pusadee Tamthai warned people not to collect suspicious items they have discovered.

"It's best to alert security officials for safety reasons," she said.

Kris said the explosion rocked the scrapyard at around 12.15pm and officials managed to put out a fire there by 1pm.

His district office will today set up a tent near the scene to facilitate victims filing complaints with police and seeking help.

Many victims are now receiving treatment at the Nopparat Rajathanee Hospital, the Mayo Hospital, and the Bhumibol Adulyadej Hospital.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-03

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

After reading through the first 30 or so posts in this thread I was disappointed to see that not one of the posters offered their condolences to the families of the dead workers ( you guys seem to forget or ignore the fact that 20 or thirty family members lost their breadwinner/father/son/brother etc. in this terrible accident). However most poster felt it appropriate to take the opportunity to mock the workers which I find to be totally heartless and inappropriate in the circumstances. That being said:

I offer my sincere condolences to the families of the deceased on behalf of those expat residents in Thailand who don’t see fatal accidents as being a good opportunity to mock the citizens of the country that allows me earn a good living

To the families of the deceased If you can find a lawyer who will work on a no fee no win basis why don’t you fie a case against the USA for consequential damages caused by the illegal bombing of civilian targets in a country that the US wasn’t even at war with. You might even consider joining forces with citizens in Laos and Cambodia who have been impacted by unexploded US ordnance in their countries.

For those "know it alls" who can’t understand why anyone would try to cut a bomb casing. Have a look at the bomb in the photo below and tell the world why you would know that it’s a bomb (it was found in a town in Germany)

post-151403-0-66244300-1396499680_thumb.

Edited by kruangfaifar
  • Like 1

After reading through the first 30 or so posts in this thread I was disappointed to see that not one of the posters offered their condolences to the families of the dead workers ( you guys seem to forget or ignore the fact that 20 or thirty family members lost their breadwinner/father/son/brother etc. in this terrible accident). However most poster felt it appropriate to take the opportunity to mock the workers which I find to be totally heartless and inappropriate in the circumstances. That being said:

I offer my sincere condolences to the families of the deceased on behalf of those expat residents in Thailand who don’t see fatal accidents as being a good opportunity to mock the citizens of the country that allows me earn a good living

To the families of the deceased If you can find a lawyer who will work on a no fee no win basis why don’t you fie a case against the USA for consequential damages caused by the illegal bombing of civilian targets in a country that the US wasn’t even at war with. You might even consider joining forces with citizens in Laos and Cambodia who have been impacted by unexploded US ordnance in their countries.

For those "know it alls" who can’t understand why anyone would try to cut a bomb casing. Have a look at the bomb in the photo below and tell the world why you would know that it’s a bomb (it was found in a town in Germany)

_57121100_57121099.jpg

You might want to do a bit of research on Google, and if you do, you'll find that more than likely it was an RAF bomb, and not from the USAF. So, before anyone could be sued, the Thai would have to determine which country the bomb came from. And in either case, both countries would reply with something along the lines of "Gee, sorry for your loss, but first you need to sue Japan for occupying you, then we wouldn't have had to bomb them."

Well, I stand corrected, at least based on the report in today's BKK Post.

The Post article on the scrap metal shop explosion says there was a different bomb -- not the same one that leveled the scrap metal yard -- found at the Red Line construction sitre. The Post quotes a Thai Air Force spokesman as saying the Red Line site bomb was taken to be destroyed by the air force's explosive ordnance team in Lop Buri.

Meanwhile, the Post says the police are considering filing charges against the scrap metal shop owner for negligence causing death and injury.

The Post report also quotes the BMA as saying the scrap metal shop was unlicensed and had been operating for about 10 years. Nothing surprising about that...

_57121100_57121099.jpg

You might want to do a bit of research on Google, and if you do, you'll find that more than likely it was an RAF bomb, and not from the USAF. So, before anyone could be sued, the Thai would have to determine which country the bomb came from. And in either case, both countries would reply with something along the lines of "Gee, sorry for your loss, but first you need to sue Japan for occupying you, then we wouldn't have had to bomb them."

I know it was and RAF bomb. My only point with the photo was that bombs aren't always obvious despite what some posters implied. I guess you are American (use of Gee ). The difference between the UK and US during WW2 was that Thailand declared war on UK but not on the US thanks to the Thai Ambassador in DC. Therefore technically the UK had an excuse for dropping bombs on Thailand. Don't take offence. My only serious point was the the lack of respect for the dead and their families. The Laotions would probably have a better legal case against you guys. What was your excuse for that one?:-)

_57121100_57121099.jpg

I know it was and RAF bomb. My only point with the photo was that bombs aren't always obvious despite what some posters implied. I guess you are American (use of Gee ). The difference between the UK and US during WW2 was that Thailand declared war on UK but not on the US thanks to the Thai Ambassador in DC. Therefore technically the UK had an excuse for dropping bombs on Thailand. Don't take offence. My only serious point was the the lack of respect for the dead and their families. The Laotions would probably have a better legal case against you guys. What was your excuse for that one?:-)

I completely agree with your comments in regards to the lack of sympathy towards those killed, injured, and their families. No argument from me on that one. As for my "excuse" for Lao, I make no excuse. Having been a 20 year US Marine, I am well aware of the fact that in wars things happen. It doesn't make them politically or morally correct, or right, but they happen, and all anyone can do is move on and make the most of it. You can't live in the past.

• Like 1

Whilst most of us will feel very sorry for the victims I had to laugh at the Thai-ness on Facebook. They have several pics of Super-fortresses and make several comments about the Thai & Japanese air forces chasing them off, one pic has a B29 in flames and they are making much merriment of their military achievements. This sad incident has at the very least made them aware of UXB's but regarding the downing of these bombers just a little research would tell them that B29's operated @ 5,000ft above the most powerful Zero fighters and only the biggest artillery pieces could reach them. B24's and Wellingtons were far more vulnerable to interception and several were lost over Bangkok. Sadly some of those brave aircrews who survived were executed and I know of one RAF airman beheaded several day's after the Japanese surrender. It should also be remembered that some Japanese officers indulged in the cannibalism of US airmen.

_57121100_57121099.jpg

I completely agree with your comments in regards to the lack of sympathy towards those killed, injured, and their families. No argument from me on that one. As for my "excuse" for Lao, I make no excuse. Having been a 20 year US Marine, I am well aware of the fact that in wars things happen. It doesn't make them politically or morally correct, or right, but they happen, and all anyone can do is move on and make the most of it. You can't live in the past.

Good comment . If am happy now that at least one other person can see that a but of sympathy and respect for other people is appropriate in the circumstances.. I agree with your comment about moving on My comment about Laos was inappropriate and I would like to retract it Please accept my apologies Edited by kruangfaifar

Whilst most of us will feel very sorry for the victims I had to laugh at the Thai-ness on Facebook.

I've lived here since 1990,so I might not know as much as a 2 week warrior, but,....................... what is Thainess ?

I can never understand westerners coming to Thailand, then putting Thailand down as though they are some superior being, yet still choosing to stay here, it's strange, and how many of them would face a Thai man, one on one ?

Don't give me the crap that they hunt in packs and you can never win, it's bullshit, just your too old, hey guess what I've had a fight with a Thai man, and I won, we had a drink after, and that was that, then again I wasn't a fossil when I came here and I left my prejudice behind me, really, you people are pathetic

Whilst most of us will feel very sorry for the victims I had to laugh at the Thai-ness on Facebook.

Don't give me the crap that they hunt in packs and you can never win, it's bullshit, just your too old, hey guess what I've had a fight with a Thai man, and I won, we had a drink after, and that was that, then again I wasn't a fossil when I came here and I left my prejudice behind me, really, you people are pathetic

But not as pathetic as the Thai apologists, like you "Banzai99"

• Like 1