Moved into new condo and already regretting it - any way to get my deposit back?

Sound travels... Upwards. Interesting how quiet my suite on the 8th floor is quieter than my suite on the 30th floor. Go figure. Are you high up?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

That is physical BS as sound waves are longitudinal waves going in all direction. Theoretically the speed of sound in colder air is higher than in warm air.

Normally when you have loud noise at higher floors it is the result of reflection.

Only want to show that I know something :)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is life I here roosters every morning. and the odd pigeon ans well as that bird that seems to make a noise looking for its mate but never find here. This is normal

Do you want to live in a vacuum. Go to a shrink and get some help

try hang up some good insinuating drapes on all the windows

that should work

This will work. A heavy set of drapes will block quite a bit of noise, especially the high pitched sounds.

Yeah, but insinuating drapes may not be the answer and could lead to paranoia.

I think they're the type that suggest to the birds that you're not home.

i love being awaken by the birds in the morning,it' much better than being awaken by motorbikes,tuk tuk's and car horns.

When I was working in Bangkok a few years back, I would regularly have two or three birds wake me up early in the morning... about 6 AM on their way home from Insomnia.

• Like 1

Unfortunately this morning i got woken up around 5am by an army of birds of all kinds, from little chirpers to pigeons and that extremely annoying asian Koel which seems to follow me around wherever i go.
The serenade lasted well until after 8.00am so i imagine i'llhear it every bloody morning!

White noise from a large fan, setting the airconditioning to the noisiest level and wearing earplugs didn't help to reduce the noise polution at all.

You're unbelievable. the army of birds should be sued. The guy who drilled the wholes as well. And don't forget to sue the air conditioning unit and its noisiest level.

And sue all who complain here...

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 2

I never buy off-plan or in advance of construction. I want to see the completed item. I want to watch the direction of the sun coming up and setting, experience the traffic round and about the development, study the other occupants as far as possible particularly those who have purchased above and adjacent to me (in regard to Condo purchase). It worked well for me on my last purchase especially in regard to the noise and the sun. One thing didn't : many owners rent off their condo's to visitors for short-term lets. I hadn't factored that in my research.

You've probably bought poor quality and in this life you only get what you pay for. I may, of course, be wrong.

Even if everything is aligned then i will still be hearing the birds as if they're in my bedroom because of the poor quality sliding windows/doors. The owner of the building doesn't seem to be willing to offer an acceptable solution like adding a second window for noise isolation or replacing the cheap constructed single paned windows for double ones.

I assume they replaced the good quality windows you saw when agreeing to rent with poor quality ones, right ?

• Like 1

Heaven forbid a real life problem came your way.

Did you really expect any developer or real estate agent to have tested the area for bird song at 5am? When "normal" people describe an area or location as quiet the are usually referring to neighborhood, traffic, city, rail and / or airport noise. Besides that, this is Thailand, the hub of noise - but complaining about birdsong?

Surely this thread is a wind up. If not, I'm speechless - well apart from the above.

Edited by Pomthai
  • Like 2

' My main requirement was that it has to be completely quiet around the condo during late evening / morning hours '

cheesy.gif

your kidding right ??

for 45k ....

This is bangkok .. not manchester , It always pays to do your homework before moving into any building.

anyway .. good luck.

OP, you will soon get used to bird song, your gray cells will cover it. I have a grandfather clock that chimes exactly the same as Big Ben w00t.gif , we don't hear it anymore thumbsup.gif , it still chimes but we don't hear it. As for bird sounds, think yourself lucky. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Get a sling shot fire it at the birds for a few days they will piss off problem solved I had polando ( bloody loud at 4 in the morning) got up sling shot the tree he pissed off came back later in the day did the same thing he got the message does not come near my place now

try hang up some good insinuating drapes on all the windows

that should work

This will work. A heavy set of drapes will block quite a bit of noise, especially the high pitched sounds.

Yeah, but insinuating drapes may not be the answer and could lead to paranoia.

What are you trying to insulate here!?

laugh.png

I can't help with the legality of getting your deposit back but I had a similar problem with the same type of bird. It moved into my neighbor's 50 ft mango tree which backed up to condo parking lot and my balcony. The bird loved to start screaming--not singing- at 3 am and totally disrupted my sleep for two months. My brother (biologist) said it's singing for a mate although at a weird time. He said it shouldn't last too long. It lasted about 9 weeks total and the bird apparently moved to another location with a mate to nest. So you might want to try the other ear plug solutions and wait it out.

9 weeks my eye... those menacing creatures are here to stay as they have urbanized their life

to suit living in cities, no more migrating else where and coming back, they are here almost

all year around and they drive me bonkers....

I love to wake up at 5am to the sounds of nature. I sit on my patio with a coffee and a cigarette and watch the dawn break into yet another beautiful day. One of the highlights of living in Thailand in my opinion, love it.

It happens everywhere. Friends of mine have just bought an upmarket condo in Manchester,England.

Nobody warned them that several of the adjoining condos were occupied by Chinese families.

The din is awful. Loud music, loud voices way into the night.

Most people's nightmare

It is certainly 'caveat emptor' in this case, and, although it's nice to own a property, renting is often the safer option

We are in the process of building a property in Buriram province. It is proving very hard to source effective insulating materials for the roof, walls and windows. European quality double glazing doesn't seem to be available anywhere

My sympathies to the OP - ill health and sound pollution don't make for comfortable bedfellows

Wax earplugs will greatly reduce sounds in my experience although can lead to ear infections if used constantly

Thanks for being supportive smile.png

I do enjoy the sound of nature, but not junglestyle at 5am.

A little background info about my foolish decision to rent the place. I have developed a chronic disease with multiple health complications that leaves me bedbound and extremely tired for most of the day, the last place i stayed at became unsuitable due to my asthma being triggered by something unknown so i had to move quickly. The current condo looked nice enough and i didn't have the energy left to search for other options. With the promise of it being quiet all night / morning it was ok enough for me.

I need sleep and rest, lots of it to recover because i'm undergoing heavy medical treatment for the whole coming year. I know it was stupid of me not to have checked out the place on various times prior to renting it but the salesstaff / developer sounded trustworthy enough, even after i explained to them the situation i'm in.

I don't mind the birds chirping all day, that would be a misinterpretation but it's like the amazon jungle here at 5am.

Not only that, i can follow whole conversations from people talking in the soi, doors slamming echo constantly in the condo because of dumb architecture and my neighbour watching TV 24/7.

For 45k per month you'd expect a little bit of soundproofing because it's not in the CBD area. Looks like no expenses have been saved except on that part.

Sorry to hear about your predicament. Hope you'll recovers soon.

If you're bedbound perhaps you can schedule the change over to the early morning. It might feel quite rewarding to get up at the early hours and see the day begin in harmony with nature. Meditate, or something; just going with it might actually work. Obviously if you rely on a carer or a nurse, the early start needs to be suitable for them as well. Afterwards, once it quieted down during the day you can rest again.

About the neighbours making noise that's not very good and I can see that can be a potential source for aggravation esp. if it is 24/7. Hope you find a solution.

All the best and welcome to this forum. welcomeani.gifsignthaivisa.gif

• Like 2

Several years ago we had one of those birds outside our bedroom window, "coo coo coo coo" getting louder and more excited with each "coo" - at 0530 in the morning. I leant out of the window and shouted at the bird. "Hey, it's five thirty in the morning, and I am trying to sleep!" Silence. Then a few seconds after, a gentle little "coo coo coo!" And it went away. It's back again now, with a vengeance, but it's mid-afternoon!! Or else it's his off-spring, trying to impress!

• Like 1

You'll always hear new noises until they become old noises. Then you won't. But that bloody koel bird is a flipping menace. I've heard that you should record the sound, then play it back to the bird with the volume turned up. The bird thinks that a bigger rival is invading and won't stay.

• Like 1