Partner stopped at Immigration for one hour

Hi guys/girls

My partner flew into London Heathrow from Bangkok to see me on her 6 month tourist visa recently and whilst I was waiting for her for over 2 hours at arrivals for her there was no sign, so I started to get a bit worried and contacted he information desk who told me to contact Immigration. When I contacted Immigration they told me she was being held for further questioning along with half a dozen other Thai ladies and she would be released in 5 minutes.

My partner then arrived and I asked her what happened, she told me an lady from UKBA had pulled her over for questioning for over an hour and was saying things like why do you keep coming to the county (UK) every year and stay for several months, why don't you get married, you wont be able o come next year as your visa will be refused. The UKBA officer then asked for my number and aid the Police will be calling me, no one did call me which was why I was waiting at arrivals for over 2 hours.

I was quite angry that the UKBA officer wasted my partners and my time asking silly questions so decided to call them. A guy answered and said the UKBA were doing their job and I said fine but asking my partner why do you come here every year and why don't you get married and you will be refused a Visa next year I though was off the mark and out of order. He then put the phone down on me, I then called again, lady this time, and asked if the calls were recorded or logged, she told me no and you cannot have the officers name.

Is the legislation changing next year which would prevent her from coming to visit me (that's if we are not married by then)?

Is it worth making a formal complaint?

Anyone had similar experiences?

Thanks

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep your head down and your mouth closed. Whilst your partner is in the UK at the discretion of the Immigration service do nothing to annoy them. Don't rock any boats. If at a time in the future, your partner no longer requires their permission to enter, then send a letter of complaint if you so wish.

• Like 1

UKBA were doing their job

That statement does it for me.

They are government Folk doing the job as instructed to them.

Both my Thai Partner and my mates Thai GF on separate occasions have been interviewed re their intentions to visit Australia.

They are just doing their job ...

• Like 1

I don't think the comments about "not being allowed in next year" are either appropriate or part of their job.

Just another bit of nastiness, usually by minimum wage workers that were allowed in.

Government officials should always be polite and on job.

No excuse not to call the phone number and let bf know either.

Edited by BritManToo

Just remember ... unless the OP was there during the questioning period, he is retelling the story as his partner told to him.

Degrees of separation ... that's all.

As for making a formal complaint, the offended person would have to do that ... not the OP?

• Like 2

the UK government, via the border agency, are coming down hard on immigration. there is a general election looming and the tories want to appear tough on immigration as it will be central strand of their campaign. expect things to get worse rather than better.

the officers were doing their job as such you have no grounds for a complaint.

If ever you or your partner/wife/ family have a 'problem', get it all in writing. As I understand it, Officers of the

Border Agency are, of course, entitled to do their job. But they are required to specify the grounds for any concerns

and certainly explain and detail the reasons for their concern and any conclusions. Changes in circumstances after

the issue of a visa are often one reason for their concern. They clearly cannot interrogate you as to why you are not

married, nor can they suggest that you may be refused a visa in future without substantiating that opinion. You may haveto wait longer as they won't want to do it!! They are not entitled to suggest that entry may not be granted because you raise questions! I would not complain; but I would make 100% sure that your partner jumps through all the hoops for her next visit!

• Like 2

Can she stay 6 months without leaving the country?

Non EEA national visitors to the UK can stay for up to 6 months on any one visit or until their visa expires; whichever is the shorter.

Happened a few times with my wife, even got pulled in Zurich in transit. Personally do not see anything wrong with it with so many people travelling on stolen passports and visa's. I expected it as she was Thai and UKBA reality TV shows are tuning up many Thais working in the sex industry. They probably just wanted to make sure she was not into some sort of people trafficking or in deed a working girl.

I took it as part of the territory when travelling with a Thai female due to the reputation of the place.

What they said is one side of the story, they were always polite and courteous to me and my wife. Its is after all Immigration.

As for an official complaint about why she was pulled for further questioning at the airport which they are entitled to do?

Non EEA national visitors to the UK can stay for up to 6 months on any one visit or until their visa expires; whichever is the shorter.
A UK entry permit, if it is given, grants a stay of up to 6 months. That is it!

If we are being pedantic:

There are basically two types of person seeking entry to the UK who are not EEA nationals.

• Visa nationals, e.g. Thailand, who need to obtain a visa in advance regardless of their purpose for seeking entrance to the UK and the length of their stay. If they are a general or family visitor the maximum length of stay is 6 months per visit. But they cannot stay past the expiration of their visa even if this means staying less than 6 months, e.g. because they delayed travel until after the start of the visa.
  • Non visa nationals, e.g. Australia, who do not need a visa if coming to the UK as a general or family visitor, but do for other purposes. If entering as a general or family visitor they can stay for a maximum of 6 months per visit.

Both visa nationals with a visa and non visa nationals can be questioned by immigration at their port of entry and if immigration have sufficient grounds to believe that the person is not a genuine visitor, for example because

• they will overstay,
  • they are seeking entry for a purpose other than that stated,
  • in the case of visa nationals there has been a material change in their circumstances since the visa was issued

then they can be refused entry; even if they have a visa.

There is also a convention, but not rule, that a non EEA visitor should not spend more than 6 months out of any 12 in the UK; whether they are a visa national or not. If immigration believe this will happen and the visitor does not have a satisfactory reason for so doing then the visitor can be refused entry.

Edited by 7by7

I do know a Thai lady that has been going to Ireland to visit a "boyfriend" on a tourist visa every year, but she actually works whilst there, guess what doing................................?

Hand CAR wash..................................laugh.png ............................True......................laugh.png

If I could stay 6 months on one tourist visa in Thailand, I wouldn't mind an interview at the airport ;) Edited by larsjohnsson
  • Like 1

UKBA had pulled her over for questioning for over an hour and was saying things like why do you keep coming to the county (UK) every year and stay for several months, why don't you get married, you wont be able o come next year as your visa will be refused.

Now imagine that this was concerning a UK citizen visiting his Thai girlfriend, and he got this reply from Thai immigration.

I wonder if the same posters as above still would say, immigration was just doing their job .

Both my Thai Partner and my mates Thai GF on separate occasions have been interviewed re their intentions to visit Australia.

David you are correct. This happened in Amsterdam to my Young Russian friend whom I flew from oz to meet and then accompany him to,oz via Bangkok.

He looked ten years younger than he was. Dutch immigration held him 6 hours and I couldn't get to,him. He couldn't speak English.

They thought he was being brought in for prostitution as they let me in after 6 hours. They were trying to,protect him from the bouyant sex trade.

This is what the UK immigration is doing too as bad as it seems. They are trying to,protect the Thai girl from possible bad things.

May I suggest you produce and five her many pics and things so she can show your relationship apart from the answering of questions ... Pics over years. It does help a lot.

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

David you are correct. This happened in Amsterdam to my Young Russian friend whom I flew from oz to meet and then accompany him to,oz via Bangkok.

He looked ten years younger than he was. Dutch immigration held him 6 hours and I couldn't get to,him. He couldn't speak English.

They thought he was being brought in for prostitution as they let me in after 6 hours. They were trying to,protect him from the bouyant sex trade.

This is what the UK immigration is doing too as bad as it seems. They are trying to,protect the Thai girl from possible bad things.

May I suggest you produce and five her many pics and things so she can show your relationship apart from the answering of questions ... Pics over years. It does help a lot.

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

They are trying to,protect the Thai girl from possible bad things.

A Thai lady that has a 6 month visa year after year doesn't need to be protected. It is obvious she is not forced to anything

Edited by JesseFrank

Despite what some might think it is not all about the oldest profession.

A couple of years ago the Mother in law visited to help out just after the birth of our second child and She was held by immigration for an hour.

As she is approaching 60 I am pretty sure they didn't suspect her of coming to the UK to go on the game.

With hindsight it was partly our fault as she speaks no English & could not communicate effectively.

In future we will always provide her with a letter of explanation for her visit and mobile phone numbers so the Border officer can speak with one of us.

• Like 2

the UK government, via the border agency, are coming down hard on immigration. there is a general election looming and the tories want to appear tough on immigration as it will be central strand of their campaign. expect things to get worse rather than better. the officers were doing their job as such you have no grounds for a complaint.

Visitors are not immigrants unless they overstay when they become Illegal Immigrants.

Visitors to the the UK generate much needed income for the UK

Immigration Officers at Port of Entry have an important job to do and I assume it can be very difficult at times.

There are people every day entering the UK that should not be.

I presume your G/F was stopped for further questioning, probably told to wait/sit in holding area with other persons, maybe some of them were Thai, may be their reasons for being here are not legit, may be some of what she says the IO said was in fact said by these other Thai Ladies? it must have been very worrying for her, English is not her first language, so there may have been confusion.

By the time you inquired they probably had interviewed her and was considering her case, possibly already made a decision to "land her", one thing by contacting immigration you proved she was not on the game as no pimp is going to stay around if his lady gets pulled.

I've witnessed many a thread whereby the OP takes umbrage to his guest being inconvenienced at immigration.

My advice - don't take it personally.

I accompany my wife through immigration these days but in the past she's experienced the routine quick-fire question and answer sessions and was nothing to worry about. If she was delayed at T3 for an hour or two then we would've put it down to timing and experience.

Shouldn't it be relatively easy and a preferenance of both applicant and issueing officer to hand out a long term (5-10 year) multi entry visa to the UK after somebody has already visited 2-3 times? I very much like the plan of the Schengen area to hand out multiple entries by default if somebody is a frequent visitor. Lessens the burden on both the authoriticities and and the applicant in means of time and costs.

Regardless, after your second or third visa/entry it should be a piece of cake to get past the border (immigration), clearly a bonife traveller, no need to discourage those with pathethic questions you'd think. The job at the border is jard enough as it is trying to filter out as many rotten apples as possible while letting as many trustworthy visitors door with little to no delays or complications. Asking some questions to all non-EU first time visitors (with and without visa) makes sense, if they come again within a year or so, why even bother asking any questions? Let alone rude and offensive behaviour as the OP discribes. So much for a warm and respectful welcome (and extra benefit saving the community and individual time and money, so may spent more -frequent- time and more money actually in the country...).

I'm glad my girl went through immigration on all 3 occasions without any questions despite "what's your purpose of traveling?". Apparantly others say report that a waterfall of questions or even being taken to a seperate room for an interview is almost standard practise. I fail to see the logic in that. If somebody is visiting time and time again for the same purpose (visiting friends, family), always abided the rules and there is something fishy or tricky (human trafficking etc.) why bother asking any questions?

Complaining to UKBA may not help (or hurt?) , for any changes though politics would need to see the importance of more lenient and welcoming rules for bonafite travellers. Write a letter to various politicians, or a newspaper etc. One single letter probably won't change anything but one can hope that if more and moire people voice their concerns and experiences, finally something may just change. Besides, nothing ventured, nothing gained..