Do you trust a Thai - Seriously!

David48

Do you trust a Thai - Seriously!

I know that question will have many approaches ... but this is my spin.

Got a haircut the other day, local village Lassie.

80 Baht haircut, rounded up to 100 Baht with a tip.

Haircut was average, not good, not bad ... just average ... (I'm a very Hunsum man you know ... according to the ladies and the Indian Suit Tailors).

The head massage good ... she even trimmed my eyebrows, at my request. Now, every other person who has performed that simple task grabbed a comb, some scissors or clippers and, as I sat upright in the chair, snipped away.

But no, she had to recline me in the chair as if I was in one of those Business Class seats in an Airline (I'm dreaming now ... rolleyes.gif ) and, while almost horizontal, clip the hirsute brows.

Then came the bit I was worried about.

Out of the Hairdresser's kit bag came the cut-throat razor ... w00t.gif

I quickly looked to the floor below to ascertain if there was a 'Sweeney Todd' style trap door and relieved to see only tiles behind me.

So, now to the trust part ...

Had I been in Italy, where the steamed hot white towel and the cut-throat shave was a daily routine for some ... I might have agreed.

But sitting in a Thai village local hairdressers shop, in front of her house ... I politely declined.

Did I do the correct thing?

When it comes to various practices ... things that maybe are not normally associated with the Thai Culture, do you trust a Thai to competently complete the task?

Oh ... my Thai gf liked the haircut ... I'm just happy that I survived ... biggrin.png

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had a straight Razor shave on Koh Phangan about 15 years ago. My first one ever. Was the best job to date. But I knew she knew what she was doing VIA work of mouth. Would I just let anyone put one to my face most likely not. I think you made the right call. Straight Razor shaves are great if done right. You have never seen razor rash like it can give if not...

Although she wasnt Thai, I had an old GF who was hairdresser, shaved my gentlemens bits with a straight razor during the "good days" in relationship, but glad I didnt let her do towards the end of the relationship as I might be talking in a high pitched voice these days...biggrin.png

These days I only let Thai hairdressers shave the back of my neck with a straight razor, I wouldnt be brave enough to let them venture below the belt line here armed with a razor...laugh.png

thats why they invented safety razors ;)

• Like 1

80 baht for a haircut in Hi-So Issan. facepalm.gif

Same prize as Samui.

Up in Northern Chiang Mai it 30 baht.

its only 60 in the middle of bkk ..............

Local shoppie is 40 Baht, just the occasional delay whilst the barber serves a shop customer with beer or whatever.

On the cut-throat topic, I'm 99% certain that every haircut I've had in Thailand has involved a straight razor (either a 'real' one or one that takes blades), I've never felt unsafe at any point.

Unlike the chappie on the street outside the digs in Mumbai who was shaving clients with a straight razor whist the client was sat on an orange box with pedestrians pushing past. Not one I tried!

• Like 2

"When it comes to various practices ... things that maybe are not normally associated with the Thai Culture"

Getting a shave with a haircut is very common in Thailand. Walk past any barber shop to see.

I've never had one, because, well... I'm in my early 30s and still don't really have any facial hair. Only have to quickly shave my moustache area about once a week. Not my fault, but I'm not complaining. :)

Getting a shave with a haircut is very common in Thailand. Walk past any barber shop to see.

I've never had one, because, well... I'm in my early 30s and still don't really have any facial hair.

What age do you imagine it will start growing ??..... blink.png

When it comes to various practices ... things that maybe are not normally associated with the Thai Culture, do you trust a Thai to competently complete the task?

The simple answer to the question you have posed is ..

NO .

The answer to your other question is only your consideration . ( Nobody will ever know if they have done the correct thing )

edit for rewording .

Edited by Goompa

David, the picture that comes to mind is that you must have some serious eyebrows if the girl took, or tried to take a cut-throat razor to them. Could be a hidden message there.

Of course, that's speculation.

If it was me, I probably would have trusted her as long as the hands weren't shaking too much. If she were to flash up a garden strimmer to do the eyebrows, then I would panic a bit....................rolleyes.gif

tongue.png

• Like 2

Although she wasnt Thai, I had an old GF who was hairdresser, shaved my gentlemens bits with a straight razor

Well THAT sure got me going, one of my favorite kinks.

But yes, lots of trust involved there. . .

11317 posts and you ask this Question.

Well, to be honest, it's a discussion point rather then a direct question.

What do you want ... another 1,000 Bar girl/ sin sot /thai driving questions?

I thought, it hadn't been asked before, I try and add some variety to the General forum.

If we want to keep the Forum active and interesting, it's up to us, members like you and me, the more experienced members to be creative and post.

Edited by David48