No front defrost on 2012 Toyota Vios?

I was told by a Toyota dealer service tech that my Vios has no front defrost system. It's hard to accept that since 1) Many times before I've heard "no have" when in fact they do have 2) I've had more faith in Toyota than that. 3) There is a very big vent slot under the windshield 4) There is an electric rear defroster!!! 5)this car was manufactured in Thailand so maybe some vent hose was just left out.

So to me this does not add up - you can see where you've been but not where you are going? The rainy season is upon us here in Ranong and last year I had to pull over and wait in a heavy downpour because the window steamed up too much to see through. However, I must admit there seems to be no air routing control for this front vent slot, so maybe he's right.

If true, how can this be addressed? I mean aside from driving in the rain with all the windows down or cutting the top off and making it completely open . . .blink.png

I had an after market windscreen defroster installed on my Nissan, as i was tired of scratching off the ice every morning coffee1.gif

Seriously, how about a fan powered by the cig. lighter?

I've had a vios previous model, and I recall indeed that with the aircon off, it was impossible to keep the windscreen clear when raining. Though with the aircon on it was no problem.

Thing is that when it rains it gets too cold in the car when using the aircon.

Edited by JesseFrank

If it is anything like the pickups built for Thailand the car won't be fitted with a heater (hot air) The facia and dash will have all the holes in common with export models but there will be no heater system fitted. My pickup has a heated rear window and a warning light - but it doesn't appear to work.

No heater in Vigos...just have to shut your eyes and drive like the Thais or open the window every few minutes.

Glad I only live in Chiangrai and not in the mountains. No heater there in winter must be cruel and unusual punishment.

That's exactly the moment when you start to appreciate the heating in your car. Nothing beats aircon and heating when trying to get a clear windscreen.

That's exactly the moment when you start to appreciate the heating in your car. Nothing beats aircon and heating when trying to get a clear windscreen.

My Nissan doesn't have a heater either, but I'm able to run the fan with the aircon off. To get a clear windscreen when raining, you only need fresh air, no heat required.

Edited by JesseFrank
  • Like 1

If you want heater or working front defrost vents in a Thai car or truck, you have to buy a model with climate control AC. Simple as that.

Exactly, you simply turn up the temperature and the Aircon works as a reverse cycle system the same in a house.

• Like 1

If you want heater or working front defrost vents in a Thai car or truck, you have to buy a model with climate control AC. Simple as that.

Exactly, you simply turn up the temperature and the Aircon works as a reverse cycle system the same in a house.

i have to assume that there is a difference between aircon and climate control aircon. So, simple for you but here I am with aircon not knowing if it is "climate control aircon". I do know that no air comes out of that big damned vent right under the windshield, which to me is really stupid since there is a blower fan in the car for the aircon. So, let's add it up - we have a vent, we have a blower, but we have no plumbing to blow the air through the vent. It's looking like the fan idea is the best one. I certainly do not need a heater in the car as it's rarely even cool here even when it's raining. It's about blowing air on the windshield that has not been cooled by the aircon. Thanks everyone.

i have to assume that there is a difference between aircon and climate control aircon. So, simple for you but here I am with aircon not knowing if it is "climate control aircon". I do know that no air comes out of that big damned vent right under the windshield, which to me is really stupid since there is a blower fan in the car for the aircon. So, let's add it up - we have a vent, we have a blower, but we have no plumbing to blow the air through the vent. It's looking like the fan idea is the best one. I certainly do not need a heater in the car as it's rarely even cool here even when it's raining. It's about blowing air on the windshield that has not been cooled by the aircon. Thanks everyone.

If your AC has a control that lets you set the desired temperature in degrees Celcius and it does the rest, it's climate control. If you have to manually adjust fan speed and AC coldness, it's not climate control, and is missing several parts that higher grade aircon has - including plumbing.

Edited by IMHO

No heater in Vigos...just have to shut your eyes and drive like the Thais or open the window every few minutes.

Glad I only live in Chiangrai and not in the mountains. No heater there in winter must be cruel and unusual punishment.

Yeah - well there is no heater in a VIOS either.

Well thanks to all who posted something worthwhile. I know of a guy with an aircon shop and I'm going to see if it's feasible to add a hose to that top of the dash vent. If not, I'll be shopping for a fan.

Remember those clear plastic stick-ons placed on the inside of the door windows to stop frost forming ??

Made a dead air space between the glass and the plastic ??

My dads 1947 Ford had them.

Just run your AC on cold with the windows up and all the windows will become clear as it is the humidity in the car that causes them to steam up. AC de humidifies the air.

• Like 1

What a lot of Moaning. Old Buggers some of you are. Cant you look back on the days when the Windows wouldn't Steam Up fast enough.biggrin.png .

Didnt have to wait as things were getting steamy inside my panel van

• Like 1

Just run your AC on cold with the windows up and all the windows will become clear as it is the humidity in the car that causes them to steam up. AC de humidifies the air.

Sorry but just the opposite is true. Speaking from my experience last rainy season the cold inside caused condensation on the glass just like on a cold beverage. If I can get plumbing added to that vent I'll blow air to the windshield with the aircon off.

I have never encountered climate control on any vehicle made in Thailand. Can you tell me which pickup has this?

As i spend a fair amount of time in the North of Thailand and Northern Laos, I would love to have a heater system on my truck. Does anyone know of an after-market solution to this?

It would also be a boon to anyone thinking of shipping there car to colder climes.

at present I address the problem by having the air on at its lowest (warmest) setting and using it to remove as much moisture from the air inside the car as possible - thus reducing the amount of condensation. (it helps to set the vents to recycle cabin air)

Edited by wilcopops